Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Makes selling Digne look strange.

I think international football is his next go to.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Doing well with Everton means getting 7th place, nobody cares about that, it won't get you a job at a top team. Winning trophies in Portugal might though.
If he is good enough, he can do what Rodger did with Leceister or Pochettino with spurs and push Everton into the champions league. It will be a real test of his managerial capabilities. Doing that will get him a top job moreso than what he does in Portugal unless he went to the semi final or finals in the champions league

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If he is good enough, he can do what Rodger did with Leceister or Pochettino with spurs and push Everton into the champions league. It will be a real test of his managerial capabilities. Doing that will get him a top job moreso than what he does in Portugal unless he went to the semi final or finals in the champions league
Everton are never getting ahead of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal/Spurs/us unless things change majorly at board level there. They have a lot of money of course but not more than e.g. Newcastle, City or Chelsea, probably not even more than Villa.

Statue of Limitations

They have been underperforming for years, they've the bones of a very good squad and have done several times over the last 10-15 but have just never kicked on or clicked properly.

I do hope they turn it around, if for no other reason that to have them beat Pool to 4th in the near future, but seriously they are too good to be this bad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe they should have held on selling Digne for a few days. Amazed he lasted so long. Their worst ever managerial appointment.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Will be interesting to see who they go for next. They have had some big names in that job but same ol (albeit under Ancelotti for a while they looked good)

Wonder if Moyes would be tempted to return and also how much they’d have to pay to get him

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
because the club is in the most rotten place it’s ever been.
I remember Everton surviving the drop by the skin of their teeth in the 90’s. I don’t think you have hit Rick bottom yet. You are basically in same situation you have been in many recent seasons. Underachieving but safely mid table in the end

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Top manager at his prime, but like Mourinho he is washed up, and his best day were in the 2000s, with Valencia, Liverpool and Inter.

I reckon he would do well at international level now.

Scottynaldinho

The club of the size and stature (upper mid-table) of Everton shouldn't follow in the footsteps of top European clubs, a model of managerial merry-go-round every couple of years doesn't suit them, or even Spurs.

They know what works for their success, a long-term coach who sets them up to be the underdog like Moyes and consistently provides them with decent league positions. Having ambitions is fine but there is a process to everything.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
I said this in another thread. Structurally Everton are a mess. Having injuries to key players didn't help.

Players are low on confidence, and give up easily. After the Watford defeat they looked a proper mess. Not that they were any good before that. Just lucky to get few results.

Rafa has to take some blame. Some of his team selections were dodgy.
But above all, Rafa has to stop taking jobs where he is unwanted (Chelsea and Everton) or following a fan favourite (Ancelotti and Mourinho)

He will probably get a job in Spain or Italy.
Also, the game has evolved. Someone like Mourinho is also struggling.

Wonder if Moyes would be tempted to return and also how much they’d have to pay to get him
Why would he?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I remember Everton surviving the drop by the skin of their teeth in the 90’s. I don’t think you have hit Rick bottom yet. You are basically in same situation you have been in many recent seasons. Underachieving but safely mid table in the end
this is definitely not the same situation as recent seasons. Since Matchday 6 we have 1W, 3D and 9L. That’s disgraceful and relegation form. 6 points from a possible 39.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But above all, Rafa has to stop taking jobs where he is unwanted (Chelsea and Everton) or following a fan favourite (Ancelotti and Mourinho)
And players favourite. But this wouldn't be an issue if he weren't such a small, petty and jealous man. He fell out with the inter team because the first thing he did upon taking the job was to try and erase mourinho - he fecking wanted the pics from the treble season taken off the walls. At real madrid he took shots at ancelotti in one of his first press conferences

Abraxas

They seem very much like the mid/lower table version of ourselves.

Finances are supposedly there, but can't be fully utilised and when they are the decision making is terrible.

Strange managerial appointments. Okay Carlo is a good manager but the wrong fit, whereas Benitez was their Jose but even more strange in that his face could never ever fit.

A squad full of random players where you can't identify any coherency.

It'll be easier for them to get it together though because they don't have to overhaul powerhouses to get back to 6th-8th. That would be relative success at this point.

Acole9

Outstanding
This was a terrible appointment from the start. Another washed up manager well past his best. I have no doubt he'll get a job somewhere else but I think he's finished in the Premier League.

CraftySoAndSo

The decision to hire him in the first place was incredibly stupid. The decisions that some owners make makes me think even you or i could run a club better but then i realised owners who make these decisions are you and i just wealthy enough to be in a position to do so.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think this makes it official if it wasn’t already.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
this is definitely not the same situation as recent seasons. Since Matchday 6 we have 1W, 3D and 9L. That’s disgraceful and relegation form. 6 points from a possible 39.
Who do you prefer to take over? Same issue as ours. I don't think you will get any good ones mid season.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Time to enjoy your retirement Rafa. He's 61 now, plenty of cash in the bank, just see out his golden years in Spain instead of slumming it out in the cold dugouts in England.

Remember the geese

Who is next in line for the job? Brendan Rodgers? Joking aside, if I was an Everton fan I'd be up for Graham Potter. Not sure if he'd take it though.

Fts 74

Terrible appointment in the first place.

They should go all out to get Potter not sure he'd go there though.

arthurka

That is actually shocking. What were they waiting for? Not like he was like by the fanbase.

goptun

Would Rooney jump ship now when he's smack bang in the middle of an epic great escape job at Derby?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
And so the managerial merry-go-round continues. Watford will pull the trigger on Ranieri and Benitez will just go waltzing in....or back to Newcastle.

Chairman Steve

I’d make a tongue in cheek post parodying our own Solskjaer zealots about how Rafa needed 3 years and several hundred million pounds to get a team before being judged and even contemplate a sacking, but yeah they have acted much better than we did :nervous:

Wouldnt it be hilarious if they went back to Allardyce or something?