Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
To be fair to Van Gaal he can't make decisisons based on form from previous seasons. Rafael has not been good this season, so you can see why he's not rated by the manager.
As a rule? Because neither has be been particularly bad, both to my recollection and going by the ratings on WhoSocred.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/4092

The respective traits of our two right-backs are the determining factor i feel. Rafael is a fullback who lives up to the ideals of the Fergie era; he can at times be a rather frenetic force on the pitch, but this contributes to a generally energised style of play and more threatening attack. Tony on the other hand is steady and predictable, very handy in a crisis but limiting offensively.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If you want to talk about "ideals of an era" you'd have to include Wes Brown in your equation. Not to mention the fact that Fergie frequently picked the likes of Smalling and Jones ahead of Rafael.

I think you're looking for significance that isn't there. Rafael is not having a great season (following on from a not great season in 2013/14). If/when he starts playing better he'll start more games.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
To be fair to Van Gaal he can't make decisisons based on form from previous seasons. Rafael has not been good this season, so you can see why he's not rated by the manager.

That said, I thought he was good for the reserves the other night so hopefully that's being fed back and might influence his next team selection. Although Fulham's opener did come from a winger getting to the byline down his flank. Which will have blotted his copybook.
Normally find myself agreeing with most of what you say but I disagree with you here. He's started 6 league games and that coincided with the best attacking football we have played all season IMO (am talking about our form in September/October). Although the likes of Di Maria/Herrera were a reason for that good form, I firmly believe with Rafael in the XI we are a much bigger force going forward. He was also solid defensively in that run with the exception of the mishap between him and Jones vs West Brom. Notable performance vs QPR, West Ham (man of the match), Everton & Chelsea.

Admittedly he has been slow coming back from this injury and looked poor at Yeovil - but then again the whole back 5 did in that system.

jojose

No doubting his ability.

He just can't be relied upon to string 10 games together.

Sell him (as much as I like him) and buy Clyne.

Or just keep him as a squad player.

got to agree with this.

I worked it out elsewhere (when i was in the newbies i think) that he makes on average 17 apperances per year. He'l complete 90 minutes in about half of them.....lets say 10. So he averages 90 minutes 10 times per season - regardless of his qaulity - thats not good enough. He could be Irwin, Nevill and Evra rolled into one and with that injury record id want him replacing

I wouldnt get rid......but i would buy a fiurst choice right back. Number 1 priority for me

Rossa

That said, I thought he was good for the reserves the other night so hopefully that's being fed back and might influence his next team selection. Although Fulham's opener did come from a winger getting to the byline down his flank. Which will have blotted his copybook.
All players are based on previous seasons. Why else would Rooney be made captain and people still label him world class? The same people claim that Rafael is error prone, but he is no more so than most other quality fullbacks.

Rafael brings dynamism and flair down that right side, something we've been missing of late. Valencia has done well, but Rafael is a step up in quality.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
No doubting his ability.

He just can't be relied upon to string 10 games together.

Sell him (as much as I like him) and buy Clyne.

Or just keep him as a squad player.
Pretty much agree, although I'd keep him as backup rather than sell him. Also, I'm unsure I'd target Clyne, think we can get a better player somewhere for the price he'd cost.

Kazi

If we're going to bring in a new RB, bring in someone better than Rafael, not Clyne or Coleman.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
got to agree with this.

I worked it out elsewhere (when i was in the newbies i think) that he makes on average 17 apperances per year. He'l complete 90 minutes in about half of them.....lets say 10. So he averages 90 minutes 10 times per season - regardless of his qaulity - thats not good enough. He could be Irwin, Nevill and Evra rolled into one and with that injury record id want him replacing

I wouldnt get rid......but i would buy a fiurst choice right back. Number 1 priority for me
At that point though you'd have to wonder who LVG would prefer to keep as back up to our new RB. Injury prone Rafael or reliable machine Valencia? If we're looking at the two of them purely as back up/squad players then there's a strong argument for favouring the guy who is always fit and can play in more than one role.....

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If we are going to buy a RB, personally I'd prefer Coleman to Clyne.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I worked it out elsewhere (when i was in the newbies i think) that he makes on average 17 apperances per year.
Did you go right back to his debut season or something?

For the seasons' 2012/13 and 2013/14, Rafael's average number of appearances is a respectable 32.

And he has spent many weeks of this season free from injury as well, Valencia is simply being preferred in the role for a debatable range of reasons.

Last edited:

Kayo

Outside Lou Macari's with a can of strongbow.
Pretty much agree, although I'd keep him as backup rather than sell him. Also, I'm unsure I'd target Clyne, think we can get a better player somewhere for the price he'd cost.
I don't think he would be that much, sure his contract is up next year.

Then again we paid nearly 20 million for Young who was in a similar contract situation!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He doesn't have pace. He's average speedwise.
People are getting carried away because of how fast Chadwick and Taylor made him look. They make Fletch look like Usain.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He can dribble a day pass and doesn't shot his pants when pressed . He also links up well with his right sided midfielder which is something Valencia is not good at besides a back or side pass.

Basically Rafael makes his side of the pitch that much better. It is very obvious we are better going forward with him I the side.

The rest of the season will be very interesting. Basically make or break for him. Valencia has been great defensively and doesn't deserve to be dropped so things don't look good for Rafael right now.

He has so many fans because he mixes skill with passion and urgency. Since 2011 we have lacked so much urgency it has been embarrassing at times.

LLMU

He has so many fans because he mixes skill with passion and urgency. Since 2011 we have lacked so much urgency it has been embarrassing at times.
yes, Rafael plays with passion and urgency whenever he is on the pitch. He doesn't hold back and is always on the move. Too bad, he just cant stay healthy for long.

soapythecat

If we're going to bring in a new RB, bring in someone better than Rafael, not Clyne or Coleman.
Over the past few years, both have been better than Rafael - no questions about that. what's to say he is ever going to be fit long enough to rediscover his form from a long time ago? We need to make progress.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I miss him. :(

Hope he will be back soon and stay injury free, although that is much to ask for. Was brilliant in 12/13, the dedication he shows on the pitch is something else.

POF

Bizarre comments. Rafael "not good this season", "poor at Yeovil". When Rafael has played this season he has been excellent (he played injured vs Yeovil). He is the best right back at the club by a long long way. Replacing him with Coleman or Clyne would be an expensive move for limited if any improvement.

Apart from injuries, his lack of height is the only reason I can see for him being left out of the side. United as a team are very weak in the air.

m1y2

Bizarre comments. Rafael "not good this season", "poor at Yeovil". When Rafael has played this season he has been excellent (he played injured vs Yeovil). He is the best right back at the club by a long long way. Replacing him with Coleman or Clyne would be an expensive move for limited if any improvement.

Apart from injuries, his lack of height is the only reason I can see for him being left out of the side. United as a team are very weak in the air.
I agree with the most bu he is good in the air, he has got problem in he box to win some challenges but which right back hasn't. He is very good at the line to win the "ordinary" aerial duels. He's got good spring. Anyway he is the best right in the club by a mile and one good game by McNair against the fourt league club at Old Trafford where we are dominating games anyone this season will no change it.. Just need more luck with injuries.

And I don't think there is any immediate need to purchase right back, we have got Valencia who is about good and McNair showing some quality there as well but still long way for him( to prove himself in bigger games). Rafael has been realy good whenever he played even straight after neverending injury problems... We have got to spend elsewhere - attack,wingers, centerback possibly and defensive centre half

Loublaze

ATLien

You sound blinded by sentimentality. Excellent you say? Rafael has been poor this season overall. His best two performances were against West Ham and Everton (both home games). He wasn't bothered against QPR when we beat them 4-0 as they were horrendous. I wouldn't say he's been excellent. Coleman or Clyne would represent a lot of improvement because first of all they will be available to play as they have better fitness records. Rafael is not much better than those two.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
McNair preferred as the back-up RB. It seems that Rafael's U-21 appearance was more indicative of his status than any sort of prep for the weekend.

saivet

I think he's done. I like Rafael, and I think he's still our best RB (though I think we should upgrade anyway) but I don't think LVG rates him at all. Wonder where he'd end up, should he leave in the summer.

Ringo 07

In terms of injury record and moments of madness during games.....the negatives outweigh the positives with Rafael and he will be gone in the summer

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
On here when a player isn't in the squad it automatically means that the player is gone.

It was Januzaj a month or two ago and look he's forced his way into the side.

ZDwyr

On here when a player isn't in the squad it automatically means that the player is gone.

It was Januzaj a month or two ago and look he's forced his way into the side.
There are a few big differences between the two though.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
In terms of injury record and moments of madness during games.....the negatives outweigh the positives with Rafael and he will be gone in the summer
With the exception of the fractured cheekbone, all that he's sustained are two fairly minor injuries. What moments of madness in can you recall in the last year or two?

Sam

I think its more down to the fact that theres no point building a team with Rafa as a main player, as he'll just break down injured in a week or two.

Its a massive shame, but I doubt he'll be here after the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.