Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It's not really, he's been pretty reliable this season, which is more than we can say about Rafael.
Yeah but you are desperate for us to sign Seamus Coleman and were on Rafael's back all of last season. I don't get it. Apart from his injuries he's proved to be more than good enough and offers a lot more than Valencia at right back. How can anyone prefer Valencia there, I really don't get it. Another one of LVG's weird decisions like persisting with Rooney in midfield.

NinjaFletch

He's gone.

Real shame, one of my favourites. Just could never stay fit and thats ultimately cost him.

Proper right back needed in the summer.

Zoo

Sad way for his United career to peter out. Van Gaal needs to buy a top replacement if he has no faith in Rafael.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good player, but not consistent enough. People moan about Valencia, but he's Mr reliable, and you need reliable players in your squad.

I guess a right back is a priority in the Summer, unless Van Gaal sees McNair as a replacement for Rafael.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yeah but you are desperate for us to sign Seamus Coleman and were on Rafael's back all of last season. I don't get it. Apart from his injuries he's proved to be more than good enough and offers a lot more than Valencia at right back. How can anyone prefer Valencia there, I really don't get it. Another one of LVG's weird decisions like persisting with Rooney in midfield.
That's a huge part of it though - he can't be relied upon because he gets injured way too frequently.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Well that's not true.

pseudo_canadian

Not consistent enough and is made of glass. Don't blame van Gaal for not using him.

It's sad because it looked like he had amazing promise.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Falcao is getting games every week so obviously form means very little in LVG's thinking.
Valencia was voted utd player of the month for jan, he is one of our more consistent defenders.

Going forward he can still be frustrating but he is still a very useful outlet. And is very disciplined

Rafael is going backwards and has not progressed in anyway shape or form offer the last 2 or so years.

I don't think its even a hard decision for Lvg to pick Valencia over him.

But of course we should buy a good right back next summer

Orton

Well that's not true.
So you weren't in the Coleman thread all season giving him praise whilst downplaying Rafael's accomplishments with us? Coleman's not been so great this season has he, I guess it's the other defender's fault, or Martinez.

KiD MoYeS

Yes, and like I said injuries are the only reason. How anyone can prefer Valencia over a fit Rafael though is beyond me.
Because we'd only get a fortnight out of Rafael before it'd be back to the drawing board, might as well keep Valencia in the team because Rafael's injuries are genuinely that bad.

Orton

Valencia was voted utd player of the month for jan, he is one of our more consistent defenders.

Going forward he can still be frustrating but he is still a very useful outlet. And is very disciplined

Rafael is going backwards and has not progressed in anyway shape or form offer the last 2 or so years.

I don't think its even a hard decision for Lvg to pick Valencia over him.

But if course we should buy a good right back next summer
Who was the competition? :lol: Really, we were absolute shite in january. He was at fault for West Ham's goal partly, by giving the ball away and committing a stupid foul, the same thing Rafael gets lambasted for every time he does it. I hope we do buy a new right back because Valencia kills the right hand side.

KiD MoYeS

So you weren't in the Coleman thread all season giving him praise whilst downplaying Rafael's accomplishments with us? Coleman's not been so great this season has he, I guess it's the other defender's fault, or Martinez.
I only praised Coleman as much as to say he's better than Rafael, which I still feel is true. If you actually bothered to read my Coleman posts you'd see that I don't rate him too much better than Rafael, it's just he isn't made of glass and can be relied upon for a season. Which is all true.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Because we'd only get a fortnight out of Rafael before it'd be back to the drawing board, might as well keep Valencia in the team because Rafael's injuries are genuinely that bad.
If you take out the fractured cheekbone which can hardly be attributed to a weakness on Rafael's part, he has been fit without breaking down again for somewhere in the region of three moths. It's a quite baseless accusation for much of this season.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Yes, and like I said injuries are the only reason. How anyone can prefer Valencia over a fit Rafael though is beyond me.
It's baffling to be honest. A fit Rafael is at worst as defensively solid as Valencia, and contributes much more going forward.

That said, his injury record is appalling and a completely legitimate reason to build your team around other players. Valencia has been solid enough this season, so it's not really a strange decision to prefer him, and choose others as his back up. I do fully expect us to cash out for a top class right back though, because we're lacking one. Comparing our options to those of other top teams, it's a real weak spot.

Orton

Considering LVG thinks Rooney balances the team in midfield, leaving out Herrera every week and making weird decisions all the time, it's no surprise he ignores Rafael. Too attack minded for LVG.

KiD MoYeS

If you take out the fractured cheekbone which can hardly be attributed to a weakness on Rafael's part, he has been fit without breaking down again for something in the region of three moths. It's a quite baseless accusation for much of this season.
Well I think it's not an unfair assessment of Rafael, he simply is injury prone, no two ways about it. He's a great little full-back, people appear to take my lack of patience for his injuries as me not rating him, he's simply not reliable.

wr8_utd

:'(
It's amazing how people have forgotten how well Rafael was playing when he was fit. He was a major part of all our attacks down the right and contributing to goals. He's the best right back we have and it's a pity LVG can't see that.

Shimo

Sadly agree his time is up. Unfortunate because outside of Rooney we don't have anyone that really plays with outward passion on the field like he does.

Orton

It's amazing how people have forgotten how well Rafael was playing when he was fit. He was a major part of all our attacks down the right and contributing to goals. He's the best right back we have and it's a pity LVG can't see that.
Yep, Jones and Evans have had worse seasons with rotten injury records and get back in the team when they are fit. Falcao plays every game for god knows what reason because he seems to be getting worse (If that's possible).

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Valencia is much more solid defensively, with our defence that's my priority. If he remains the confidwnce and totally develops in the rb role he could be class. Sorry Rafa, but he's as unreliable as you get, not what we need.
Methinks that some on this forum need reminding of United's attacking ideals; a potent offence does itself contribute to a team's defending.

pseudo_canadian

Doesn't matter. He can never stay healthy.

NinjaFletch

It's baffling to be honest. A fit Rafael is at worst as defensively solid as Valencia, and contributes much more going forward.

That said, his injury record is appalling and a completely legitimate reason to build your team around other players. Valencia has been solid enough this season, so it's not really a strange decision to prefer him, and choose others as his back up. I do fully expect us to cash out for a top class right back though, because we're lacking one. Comparing our options to those of other top teams, it's a real weak spot.
I'd argue pretty strongly that Rafael is far superior defensively, as I suspect you would too, he's not as strong in the tackle and not as quick. But by every other possibly measure of a good defender he's simply better. People's memories on here are very short.

KiD MoYeS

His ability isn't in question, and that's not the reason he's not playing. We all know he can be a great full-back, but we all know he suffers a hell of a lot of injuries.

It's pretty simple stuff really.

NinjaFletch

His ability isn't in question, and that's not the reason he's not playing. We all know he can be a great full-back, but we all know he suffers a hell of a lot of injuries.

It's pretty simple stuff really.
It clearly is.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well I think it's not an unfair assessment of Rafael, he simply is injury prone, no two ways about it. He's a great little full-back, people appear to take my lack of patience for his injuries as me not rating him, he's simply not reliable.
Your claim doesn't stand up to scrutiny though, not so far as 2014/15 goes at any rate.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If you take out the fractured cheekbone which can hardly be attributed to a weakness on Rafael's part, he has been fit without breaking down again for somewhere in the region of three moths. It's a quite baseless accusation for much of this season.
Can't fault that logic. He managed to avoid getting injured by being out injured. A flawed strategy but an effective one.

Status
Not open for further replies.