Rafael

PeteReDevil

iPete
Utterly irrelevant to the thread but does anyone remember when we nearly signed a Brazilian centre back called Celio Silva back in 1997?
Whoa! What a flashback to CM97. Used to buy him by the start of every game. :lol:

Back to topic. Sitting here with Silva fever too myself. Hope it turns out well for both of them

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
I have to say I was very impressed with it too, he worked hard, passed the ball well, was willing to get forward and made a few decent tackles, including getting back from a deep run to get the ball from a player Rio was last man on, Rio did a great job delaying him but the appetite and determination to get back was fantastic. He showed a nice skill beating the last man to get in the box for his shot attempt.
I think the fact that he has plenty of pace, technique, seems quite athletic and isnt shy about the physical side is a good indication of him adjusting well to the league.

However, I could see that he was a little raw. He did well to put himself in there when one of the opposition players got in for a header, put him off, but it was obvious that he had no chance of winning the header though. He also got outmuscled once or twice. He doesnt have quite enough strength yet for big strong players. Positionally he got caught once or twice, on one occasion failed to track the man and only PIGs coming out for the ball saved it from being a serious goal chance(Other players could have tracked the man, he was just the closest to him), he also got skinned on one occasion too, but to be fair the opposition player just did very well.

The good very definately outweighed the bad, and I would think as he gets older and stronger, and adjusts to the team he will get better and better.

prateik

he can play on the right wing too .. it keeps getting better . :D :D :D :D :D :D

PeteReDevil

iPete
I have to say I was very impressed with it too, he worked hard, passed the ball well, was willing to get forward and made a few decent tackles, including getting back from a deep run to get the ball from a player Rio was last man on, Rio did a great job delaying him but the appetite and determination to get back was fantastic. He showed a nice skill beating the last man to get in the box for his shot attempt.
I think the fact that he has plenty of pace, technique, seems quite athletic and isnt shy about the physical side is a good indication of him adjusting well to the league.

However, I could see that he was a little raw. He did well to put himself in there when one of the opposition players got in for a header, put him off, but it was obvious that he had no chance of winning the header though. He also got outmuscled once or twice. He doesnt have quite enough strength yet for big strong players. Positionally he got caught once or twice, on one occasion failed to track the man and only PIGs coming out for the ball saved it from being a serious goal chance(Other players could have tracked the man, he was just the closest to him), he also got skinned on one occasion too, but to be fair the opposition player just did very well.

The good very definately outweighed the bad, and I would think as he gets older and stronger, and adjusts to the team he will get better and better.

Off course for such a young player there are bound to be short comings. Thus the way I read your post :wenger:

loki

Off course for such a young player there are bound to be short comings. Thus the way I read your post :wenger:
With quite a lot not having seen the game I felt like giving a closer analysis for them with the good and the bad, as most here just praised him. Feel free to read it as you like ;)
I was absolutely delighted to see such a performance from such a young player on his debut

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Do you remember Gary Neville's mistakes when he was young? Ill give you a hint, go and watch Manchester United - Vasco De Gama and see how he man handled Edmundo. Defenders take their time to develop, expecially if they are playing with a big team and they are given limited first team chances.

Anyway, you will never see Brazilian fullbacks which are renowned for their superb defensive skills. They are not groomed for that. Their game is based on pace, technique and ability to move forward and prove dangerous. Mind Im not saying that Brazilian fullbacks = shit in defending. There again, you will always have to make sure that the central back covers their arse in case things get messy.

loki

Do you remember Gary Neville's mistakes when he was young? Ill give you a hint, go and watch Manchester United - Vasco De Gama and see how he man handled Edmundo. Defenders take their time to develop, expecially if they are playing with a big team and they are given limited first team chances.

Anyway, you will never see Brazilian fullbacks which are renowned for their superb defensive skills. They are not groomed for that. Their game is based on pace, technique and ability to move forward and prove dangerous. Mind Im not saying that Brazilian fullbacks = shit in defending. There again, you will always have to make sure that the central back covers their arse in case things get messy.
Relax. I pointed out the raw aspects in what was otherwise an astonishing debut performance where some others were going a wee bit over the top, tongue in cheek or not say wondering why they arent Brazil starters as someone asked. All I think he needs to do is develop a bit physically which he will as he gets older, and settle in the team, maybe learn some more positional sense. He played great today,

devilish

Relax. I pointed out the raw aspects in what was otherwise an astonishing debut performance where some others were going a wee bit over the top, tongue in cheek or not say wondering why they arent Brazil starters as someone asked. All I think he needs to do is develop a bit physically which he will as he gets older, and settle in the team, maybe learn some more positional sense. He played great today,
Honestly I was more impressed by him then I was impressed by Gaz at 21 years of age. There again Gaz was facing EPL level footballers.

loki

Honestly I was more impressed by him then I was impressed by Gaz at 21 years of age. There again Gaz was facing EPL level footballers.
The opposition and the addition of it being a friendly not a competitive match with vital points on the line does make a difference. But at 18 in your first game in a new country is damn impressive.
Honestly I think Gaz wasn't that great a natural talent, it was his dedication, drive and mentality that made him the player he later became. He ironed out his flaws, took away the silly errors, improved his crossing a great deal.
I can only hope he passes his attitude on the the Brazilian lads.

devilish

The opposition and the addition of it being a friendly not a competitive match with vital points on the line does make a difference. But at 18 in your first game in a new country is damn impressive.
Honestly I think Gaz wasn't that great a natural talent, it was his dedication, drive and mentality that made him the player he later became. He ironed out his flaws, took away the silly errors, improved his crossing a great deal.
I can only hope he passes his attitude on the the Brazilian lads.
I agree 100%

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Do you remember Gary Neville's mistakes when he was young? Ill give you a hint, go and watch Manchester United - Vasco De Gama and see how he man handled Edmundo.
Wasn't that in 2000? Neville was 25.

Merman

On another note, with Fabio and Rafael looking so impressive, do you think it may be time for the club to perhaps accept a bid say in the region of £8m for Evra and Silvester?

Lot 49

Doom
They are both two good for the reserves imo and they don't even look they need a loan move. Hopefully the 7 subs means we can give them time coming off the bench throughout the season.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Yepp Gaz was (in my opinion) a late developer.
He's almost been ever present since the 94/95 season. He must have been quite decent back then too.

But I see your point, I think he played at the same level for some 7-8 years, then he suddenly became very very good, strangely enough.

devilish

He's almost been ever present since the 94/95 season. He must have been quite decent back then too.

But I see your point, I think he played at the same level for some 7-8 years, then he suddenly became very very good, strangely enough.
He was a decent player, nothing more nothing less.

He turned world class at around 27 yrs of age.

IhabX7

He was a decent player, nothing more nothing less.

He turned world class at around 27 yrs of age.
I like him as much as anyone, but he's not world class. Unless you use world class a bit loosely.

Acquire Me

Ronaldo can feck off to Madrid now if he cant show us some respect, imo we got two bright talents in da silva brothers. I know they will play a lot this season, to good to not get the chances.

Acquire Me

They won't.

I've never ever seen them play.

But I can tell you now they will ahrdly feature, if at all, this season.
Well lets see about that...and what do you know, you think Espen Hoff is a great player. Though I hope thats a joke from your side :)

Acquire Me

Both of them suck, Tarik Elyounoussi would be the only one worth a try, but got to build up his body for the PL. May do good in the netherlands.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They won't.

I've never ever seen them play.

But I can tell you now they will ahrdly feature, if at all, this season.
Then get on to MUTV and watch a re-run of the match. They are serious talents and Fergie seemed absolutely blown away by Rafael after the match. I haven't seen him purring so much about a young player's debut since Rooney vs Fenerbahce.

I reckon Nev is gonna be in and out with injury agains this season (time waits for no man) and I can see Rafael getting some minutes late in games, with a view to possibly giving Wes the odd break, later in the season, when we're up against sides who are unlikely to stretch us defensively.

League games aside, I would say he's a nailed down certainty to play every CC game and every FA Cup game against lower league opposition.

MDFC Manager

Do these twins have permits though? This has probably been asked a few times in this thread already.