g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He doesn't really have 'flashy dribbling' at all. The comparison to Sturridge is a bit odd too, I mean his goal record is pretty fantastic for a player who is crippled 50% of the time and if you read most of the comments re: Sturridge on this forum they'll all pretty much say what you are saying there - so how can his abilities be 'amplified' in such a scenario?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He doesn't really have 'flashy dribbling' at all. The comparison to Sturridge is a bit odd too, I mean his goal record is pretty fantastic for a player who is crippled 50% of the time and if you read most of the comments re: Sturridge on this forum they'll all pretty much say what you are saying there - so how can his abilities be 'amplified' in such a scenario?
It is a fair comparison as Sturridge has only ever had one good year same with sterling and that came alongside Suarez. You want to look at his goal record then check his England goals, at the top level he's not all that and is hugely overrated. Apart from dribbling skills what does sterling actually have?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I still get the feeling he will always be an overhyped player that will never really have a great career. Just like Sturridge people have amplified his abilities based on playing alongside the worlds best striker (Suarez) who could turn just about any player into an beast. He's got flashy dribbling but goes hiding too often and could hit a barn door
Sturridge isn't really overhyped.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I've seen him called a top striker, when the reality is he's really not anywhere close
No one sensible thinks he's world class, but he's definitely (and accepted as) one of the better strikers in the league.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think the comparison with Sturridge is a bit bizarre in that Sturridge is now 26, and basically could progress a bit more (if not injured) but is more or less the finished product. Sterling is still very much a work in progress. His breakthrough season was fantastic but probably a bit lucky due to various circumstances (he was an unknown factor, playing in a very attacking team, with 2 strikers in great form around him) so his performance level was probably elevated. The 2 following ones have had other circumstances that, for me, make it impossible to judge him too harshly: in his last season at Liverpool, he was basically the one who was meant to make everything happen (which for me wasn't fair for a kid so young), and the overall team performance was quite poor, and he was clearly unhappy in the second part of the season. This season he hasn't been fantastic, but he's got a huge price tag to live up to, is playing in a position that's not really suited for him (as @ThierryHenry said), and he's not actually been that bad. Just inconsistent, as you'd probably expect for a player his age.

I don't really have huge sympathy for him (he played for Liverpool and now City), but I think people are unfairly harsh with him and with good guidance, which he could have under Pep, he could turn out to be an excellent player.

Oo0AahCantona

Would have loved him here, not only to stick it to pool but he's going to be a class player for a long while.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If he's got for the euros will he make a difference? I would say no
His international record isn't great, I'll admit that much, but he's a better striker than both Rooney and Kane when fit. Rooney's record at big tournaments is quite poor as well as a matter of fact, his first one was very good but he has disappointed ever since. You can't predict if Sturridge would make a difference but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have him on the team, he's a game changer and can decide games on his own on his day.

Anyway, not the right thread to discuss this in. I just absolutely disagree that Sturridge isn't a top striker. I struggle to think of a better striker than him in the league bar Aguero.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His international record isn't great, I'll admit that much, but he's a better striker than both Rooney and Kane when fit. Rooney's record at big tournaments is quite poor as well as a matter of fact, his first one was very good but he has disappointed ever since. You can't predict if Sturridge would make a difference but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have him on the team, he's a game changer and can decide games on his own on his day.

Anyway, not the right thread to discuss this in. I just absolutely disagree that Sturridge isn't a top striker. I struggle to think of a better striker than him in the league bar Aguero.
You can't really use international tournaments against Rooney if the comparison you're making is with a 'fit' Sturridge. Wayne has been hugely unlucky with the timing of each of his participations in the tournaments, unfortunately. But yeah, his record in them is poor.

TrustInJanuzaj

Anyway, not the right thread to discuss this in. I just absolutely disagree that Sturridge isn't a top striker. I struggle to find a better striker than him in the league bar Aguero.
I mean if you think he's better than Rooney and Kane then I disagree especially considering Rooney is England's top scorer and has had some terrible luck at major championships. But as you say wrong thread and I imagine we could probably bang heads on this all day so let's just agree to disagree.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wait this is the Sterling thread?

Cassidy

I mean if you think he's better than Rooney and Kane then I disagree especially considering Rooney is England's top scorer and has had some terrible luck at major championships. But as you say wrong thread and I imagine we could probably bang heads on this all day so let's just agree to disagree.
Surely you don't think CURRENT Rooney is better?

TrustInJanuzaj

Surely you don't think CURRENT Rooney is better?
I think they are on a par, Rooney since the turn of the year has been excellent, Sturridge is constantly injured and hasn't shown anythin since that season with Suarez

Cassidy

I think they are on a par, Rooney since the turn of the year has been excellent, Sturridge is constantly injured and hasn't shown anythin since that season with Suarez
Overstating, hes been good, excellent no.

stepic

If both are fit and healthy, right now, Sturridge is way better than Rooney. Christ.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I still get the feeling he will always be an overhyped player that will never really have a great career. Just like Sturridge people have amplified his abilities based on playing alongside the worlds best striker (Suarez) who could turn just about any player into an beast. He's got flashy dribbling but goes hiding too often and could hit a barn door
It is a fair comparison as Sturridge has only ever had one good year same with sterling and that came alongside Suarez. You want to look at his goal record then check his England goals, at the top level he's not all that and is hugely overrated. Apart from dribbling skills what does sterling actually have?
His dribbling isn't really very flashy.

His off-ball runs, use of his body and passing are more impressive. He can have a very effective game without dribbling past people. Not sure where you got the idea that he's just about dribbling.

Sounds more like what you hope he's all about.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Maybe he's only seen them in the cup. I know a few times they started that kid and Aguero up front at times. But they've not really played 2 up front otherwise.
They've played with Sterling and Aguero/Bony up front a few times too.

TrustInJanuzaj

His dribbling isn't really very flashy.

His off-ball runs, use of his body and passing are more impressive. He can have a very effective game without dribbling past people. Not sure where you got the idea that he's just about dribbling.

Sounds more like what you hope he's all about.
In my opinion his dribbling is his best tool by far, ive seen people say its Hazard eske and i actually would agree with that to some degree but dribbling only gets you so far (just like hazard), until he starts scoring, assisting in the big games hes proven nothing. Alot of his reputation is still off the back of his one good season

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
You can really go far just on dribbling though.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
In my opinion his dribbling is his best tool by far, ive seen people say its Hazard eske and i actually would agree with that to some degree but dribbling only gets you so far (just like hazard), until he starts scoring, assisting in the big games hes proven nothing. Alot of his reputation is still off the back of his one good season
You make it sound like he's in the second half of his career. He's 21 and 2 months a full 3 months older than Januzaj and younger than Keane and Lingard.
He's way too young to be making definitive judgements on and if he learns from being around the top coach and some of the best players in the game he has every chance of being a great asset to City and England.
Is his choice of clubs clouding your opinion?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I know you're ardent to see Sterling fail, but do you really believe that?
Not ardent to see him fail. Sterling isn't his next Messi or Thiago Alcantra right now. Pep will want his next Messi or Thiago right the right now. Not develop one, this isn't Leicester.

Ergo fewer opportunities mean SWP syndrome unless he mashes up the capital cup.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pogba is my prediction for an English record transfer to City this summer.
Can see Pogba reach close to the 100 mark, not sure if it will be crossed (but won't be surprised). However, Pep's primary aim will be that reliable number 10 he can trust next to Silva on the left/right. And with the most money football is ever likely to see its going to go over the 100.

Raheem will be Pep's new Pedro/Sanchez.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Can see Pogba reach close to the 100 mark, not sure if it will be crossed (but won't be surprised). However, Pep's primary aim will be that reliable number 10 he can trust next to Silva on the left/right. And with the most money football is ever likely to see its going to go over the 100.

Pep doesn't play with number 10's.

Boycott

He likes Coman so he'll love Sterling.

Quick, direct, versatile, lots of scope to develop and world class potential.

Classical Mechanic

I guess that your opinion would be loaded as a Liverpool fan! I have found Sterling a little disappointing this season overall, especially in the Premier League, but he is still only 21 and I think that Pep would be confident of developing him further still. He is probably already as good as Pedro ever was. Different kind of player in that sense to Sanchez though as Alexis's strength beyond his ability is his work rate and courage.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Like Hazard, should be much better and more productive than what he currently is.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
His terrible shooting ability has papered over how bad his around game has been today. He doesn't dribble, he doesn't create and he has pulled out of every tackle. He just gets the ball and lays it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.