g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejtrain

I still don't understand some people claiming he's a top striker. He was and still much better than Januzaj - I'll give him that, but he's often a bit of a liability.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Weird player. Often looks wonderful on the ball and gets plenty of goals and assist in a class attacking team. But there's just something missing. He's often comical in the final third and too often messes up good situations or shows bad decision making. One of the best in his age group of course but he needs to work on his shooting and delivery in the final third. It's all well and good wanting to always dribble and play cute short passed, but cutting edge is also important.

saivet

Definitely overpriced. Still a talented player however. He's still only 21, in his first season at a club who under Pellegrini have been hit and miss. It's not been a great season for him, but he's still contributed for them, particularly I have read/seen in the CL.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Play him as a number 10 and he'll thrive. It's that simple.

He's wasted on the wings.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Should replace Silva. The latter is showing his age this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's just 21. City didn't pay that money for a finished product.

Shark

@NotShark
He's just 21. City didn't pay that money for a finished product.
Memphis is another prime example of that. The minute players hit 20 these days, people automatically think they should start performing every game like a 25 year old. What has happened to patience?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Not sure about this, he's got very poor end product. I'd say his best asset is using pace to get to the edge of the box and drill a cross in. This can be very effective sometimes, see Lennon/Valencia/Walcott in their prime but what he has in common with these players is a lack of class for a want of a better word. No way could he replace Silva IMO.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Not sure about this, he's got very poor end product. I'd say his best asset is using pace to get to the edge of the box and drill a cross in. This can be very effective sometimes, see Lennon/Valencia/Walcott in their prime but what he has in common with these players is a lack of class for a want of a better word. No way could he replace Silva IMO.
10 goals 10 assists this season, that's decent for his first season in a struggling team. Absolute bullocks to compare him to those players you mentioned as well, Sterling might be as fast as they are, but is a far better dribbler, more creative, and has more vision than they ever had, he showed this at Liverpool as well for England. And he's 21.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
But has he got a finish in him to justify the No.10 position?
I'm basing my opinion on his 13/14 Liverpool form.

His finishing isn't there yet but that'll come as he develops. Also I don't think you have to be an incredible finisher to be a good number 10. It helps but it isn't essential.

His forward passing was very good for us and he can link up well with those around him. He seemed to have a good understanding with Suarez. His dribbling is pretty good too but I think crossing is one of his weakest areas which is why I don't think he's as useful on the wing. He goes missing too often out wide as well and games can pass him by.

LuisNaniencia

10 goals 10 assists this season, that's decent for his first season in a struggling team. Absolute bullocks to compare him to those players you mentioned as well, Sterling might be as fast as they are, but is a far better dribbler, more creative, and has more vision than they ever had, he showed this at Liverpool as well for England. And he's 21.
Okay, in your opinion it's bollocks but that's what I see. If you look at the players I mentioned they have all had seasons with similar returns. And maybe he is better in the attributes you mention but then he's not in others. The reason I mentioned those players was to exemplify that he is a very useful player but also limited. And I know he's 21 but somethings can't be learned, the way players like Silva understand the game for example.

LuisNaniencia

I'm basing my opinion on his 13/14 Liverpool form.

His finishing isn't there yet but that'll come as he develops. Also I don't think you have to be an incredible finisher to be a good number 10. It helps but it isn't essential.

His forward passing was very good for us and he can link up well with those around him. He seemed to have a good understanding with Suarez. His dribbling is pretty good too but I think crossing is one of his weakest areas which is why I don't think he's as useful on the wing. He goes missing too often out wide as well and games can pass him by.
Do you think he has the creativity of Mata/Silva/Ozil etc to play number 10? I don't see that in him.

Sammyjunn

Okay, in your opinion it's bollocks but that's what I see. If you look at the players I mentioned they have all had seasons with similar returns. And maybe he is better in the attributes you mention but then he's not in others. The reason I mentioned those players was to exemplify that he is a very useful player but also limited. And I know he's 21 but somethings can't be learned, the way players like Silva understand the game for example.
They are just runners, heavy touch and dash, sterling is and has the potential to be far more than that, and it's never even been his game, logically as he doesnt play on the right side. He's more about link up and drifting inside.

saivet

Where does that Sane play? City have been linked with him, could replace Silva and they can put KdB or Sterling in the no.10 position

LuisNaniencia

They are just runners, heavy touch and dash, sterling is and has the potential to be far more than that, and it's never even been his game, logically as he doesnt play on the right side. He's more about link up and drifting inside.
I guess time will tell. What do you make of the fee then, and in retrospect? £49m player?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I rate him very high but I've mostly seen him in Liverpool shirt. I think City paid fair price for the most talented English player currently. I'd have taken him in a heartbeat for 50m anyway.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How, he can play tiki taka as evidenced in the spanish national team :lol:
Not
How, he can play tiki taka as evidenced in the spanish national team :lol:
that simple with Pep though. Pep demands tremendous work rate something Silva will not give. Most importantly, I'm not sure Pep is keen on Shoehorning Silva, Sterling and KDB into the same side. One has to give, and I assume it will be Silva.

LuisNaniencia

I rate him very high but I've mostly seen him in Liverpool shirt. I think City paid fair price for the most talented English player currently. I'd have taken him in a heartbeat for 50m anyway.
The way he started the season I thought he'd really improved them but he had less and less impact as the season has gone on. I see I am in the minority so maybe I'm judging him too harshly.

prarek

I think crossing is a skill that can definitely be improved.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Not

that simple with Pep though. Pep demands tremendous work rate something Silva will not give. Most importantly, I'm not sure Pep is keen on Shoehorning Silva, Sterling and KDB into the same side. One has to give, and I assume it will be Silva.
With a heavy heart I have to agree with this. Silva has been woeful since his injury and when he has played with de Bruyne the signs have been that they cannot really fit in the same team, although it's hard to adequately assess this given Silva has been so poor that's it may simply be this rather than a natural incompatibility. de Bruyne also works a lot harder, which is not a slight on Silva who is just not built for running up and down a football pitch, and considering his age I would not be too surprised to see him marginalised under Guardiola. Do not think we'd sell him though, he's still an excellent and loyal player, he'll be given a chance for sure.

Not even close to matching de Bruyne's capability in that role so he'll never get a decent chance there. He is a wide player anyway as far as I'm concerned, his only problem is his inconsistency and lack of end-product which would be evident wherever he plays. For an inconsistent player you'd rather put them out wide where a poor performance does less damage than occupying the no. 10 role.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Not even close to matching de Bruyne's capability in that role so he'll never get a decent chance there. He is a wide player anyway as far as I'm concerned, his only problem is his inconsistency and lack of end-product which would be evident wherever he plays. For an inconsistent player you'd rather put them out wide where a poor performance does less damage than occupying the no. 10 role.
I think you'd see the best of him as a number 10. Couldn't De Bruyne be shifted to the right given how good his delivery is? I've seen him play some incredible balls in this season. The alternative is to play a 4-3-2-1 maybe with De Bruyne and Sterling behind Aguero as attacking midfielders? I know that's not going to happen under Pellegrini but Guardiola might give it a go.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I think you'd see the best of him as a number 10. Couldn't De Bruyne be shifted to the right given how good his delivery is? I've seen him play some incredible balls in this season. The alternative is to play a 4-3-2-1 maybe with De Bruyne and Sterling behind Aguero as attacking midfielders? I know that's not going to happen under Pellegrini but Guardiola might give it a go.
But Sterling's best as 10 is not close to de Bruyne's best as a 10. de Bruyne can play out wide but he is best centrally and given his quality it would be foolish to push him out wide. The 4-3-2-1 is not a bad idea but I think de Bruyne really needs another wide player in the team to stretch the play and to allow him to have more time on the ball.

cyberman

I made point after point in the summer..during all the City hysteria..that City had a front line full of suppliers and not goalscorers and was shouted down by some City fans on here.
Its diluted a little bit from KDB injury but even then they couldnt string two wins or great performances together ( havent won 2 in a row since October)
Silva / Sterling / KDB would all rather supply the pass for a chance in front of goal than be there for the chance itself. They simply are not clinical. Like i said unless they were planning on those 3 supplying 100 assists for Aguero then there was no need to sign Sterling and KDB in the same summer.
This is now the second season in a row that Sterling has underperformed. Next season is huge for him imo.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
But Sterling's best as 10 is not close to de Bruyne's best as a 10. de Bruyne can play out wide but he is best centrally and given his quality it would be foolish to push him out wide. The 4-3-2-1 is not a bad idea but I think de Bruyne really needs another wide player in the team to stretch the play and to allow him to have more time on the ball.
Maybe Sterling on the right then instead of the left. I just don't think it benefits him where he's being played at the minute. I'm struggling to think of any good games he had for us at left wing. The 5-1 against Arsenal is the only one I can think of. I guess it's hard for Pellegrini to move him at the minute as it doesn't look like there's another reasonable option for that position?

Sammyjunn

I guess time will tell. What do you make of the fee then, and in retrospect? £49m player?
It's too much, even in this market. But I think they've paid for the potential more than for his current quality, just like we did with Martial. He hasnt started too well from them, but I've already seen much better from him at Liverpool and England so I do think he still has got the potential to be a top player in his position, although he us struggling at the moment.

Bojan11

He's been awful this season. I thought he was better last year.

Zoo

£50 million and not new to this league.

He is the flop of the season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah, Memphis at least has the excuse of a new league. Sterling has been terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.