Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
its the managers job to get the best out of the players and these players whatever levels they have are without doubt better than this
Can the manager whip the players into putting in a shift if they are downing tools ?

Skeppy2099

Supports
United
Anything after the Leeds game this season with Ole was awful.

Anything before that with Ole was 1000x better than this.

The whole club has gone flat and the manager doesn't have what it takes to sort it out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The belief has gone. It's difficult to motivate yourself once you stop believing you can win.
And who's job is it to motivate the players? Like I said I refuse to believe they've just downed tools because they'll be someone new next season they've downed tools as they ain't buying what RR is selling

mu4c_20le

Nar, the last 6 weeks with Ole was utterly horrendous. You have a clear case of recency bias.
Well, in that case even Carrick has been better then, better than Ralf even. Ralf's games up until today was not really better than Ole's several years here. Today was a bit better, but still a long way to go. He needs to get us to score more than one goal, for example.

Manny

Grammar Police
We can't play 4-2-3-1 with this midfield getting overrun, and Rashford and Greenwood playing this shit.

We had a spell where it looked good, but it always ends up fading once the midfield gets stretched.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can't buy that, not when there's top 4, FA Cup and UCL all still to play for it doesn't make sense for the players to down tools just because they'll be a new manager next season
We haven't won a trophy since 2017, and both of those were literally C tier trophies. You think these players actually think they can win a trophy? They aren't gunning for a trophy. They're half assing it as they know Rangnick is gone in a few months and we start again. Most of them are probably sick of being at United after constant failures and probably want a clean start so don't even care to play for their futures anymore. If we luck our way to the quarter finals of the FA Cup, then the players might show up and start putting in a bigger effort IMO. Otherwise, nah. The attitude shown by the players has only gotten worse this season. The performances and lack of coaching has long been evident, but the attitude has just gotten really bad. My opinion is they liked Ole as a person and got along with him, but most probably also knew he wasn't a very good coach. Now? Some guy comes in and trying to shake things up even though he's only there for another half season? He's the substitute teacher and the class doesn't give a feck no matter if he's actually telling them the right things or not.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
And who's job is it to motivate the players? Like I said I refuse to believe they've just downed tools because they'll be someone new next season they've downed tools as they ain't buying what RR is selling
I agree, see my earlier post. Players are just not getting RR's tactics. I think today Ralf realised it too, he looked subdued.

marktan

How was this guy the best we could come up with? There's nothing that sticks out to me as being very good. Team selection, squad rotation, coaching, tactics, nothing stands out at all.

Oh wait, I know the answer to that one. The board. Woodward.

Delano

The midfield is emptying, the players make so many unforced errors it's untrue, they look exhausted at 60 minutes every game and let's be honest... we've fluked our wins. But the reality is, I'm not surprised if he's running them into the ground in training.

He needs to pick players who want to be here and suit the gameplan though. Elanga showing today what we've been lacking. Any sense of fight.

Bobski

I would like to know what is this magical system that will work for these players....
2 up top with 2 lazy selfish wide players is not a workable system, so stop playing it, stiffen up the midfield.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We can't play 4-2-3-1 with this midfield getting overrun, Rashford playing as shit as he is and Greenwood being selfish.

We had a spell where it looked good, but it always ends up fading once the midfield gets stretched.
We can't play regardless of formation.

Giggsyking

Still don't know what happened first, our pressing dropping off, or our passing going haywire. Because once one went the other collapsed very quickly after that.

The first 15 minutes were encouraging. We pressed hard, kept the ball and caused Villa problems. It wasn't perfect and Villa got behind us a few times. But it was encouraging. But after that we lost all control, stopped pressing, couldn't keep possession and did nothing on the ball. The second half in particular was one of the worst performances I can remember in a long time.

I can understand the players bit being physically capable of performing a pressing game midway through the season. But not being able to string two passes together is unforgivable.
It tells you that these players stick to the tactics for 15 mins and then got back to what they have engraved in their heads by the previous manager "passive football". Ralf would need more than 6 months to teach them how to be aggressive 90 mins.

united for life

Nar, the last 6 weeks with Ole was utterly horrendous. You have a clear case of recency bias.
ole’s last 6 weeks were against city, liverpool, leicester and a couple of tough CL games. We havent played a decent team under Ralf.

lots of work still requires. Seems we are free falling to rock bottom. Players are really disjointed. At one point, they were yelling at each other today to run into space. The set up keeps changing, not sure what formation we play; 4222? 442? 4321? 424? All together in 90 minutes?

BuzzKillington

Obviously needs more time but so many of these players are so much worse than I ever thought, or simply do not want to be here (Pogba). What can any manager do with so many players who can’t keep a ball, or a keeper who twats dead balls into row Z? Or a CB who has 20 yards of space and does the same?
DvB has now been ignored by 3 managers so he’s obviously utter shite, because the lads playing there both have their pros, but a fecking shit loads of cons too.
I’m really not so sure that’s the case. From where I am sitting a lot of players who leave us seem to experience an uptick in form as soon as they get away from us.

I’d guarantee half of the “deadwood” the fans are wanting us to get rid of, end up going somewhere cheap and rediscovering the form we either signed them for, or that they showed to get promoted from the youth.

We’ve not got the best squad in the league, we’re definitely weaker than city and pool and probably a bit weaker than chelsea, but we’ve looked like a pub team under two managers now and if you look at the squad in a non hysterical way, it’s actually pretty decent. We’re massively underperforming and what plays out on the pitch is massively less than the sum of its parts.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Longshanks

No one told me being 2-1 down to a relegation fodder is actually acceptable result now.

The performance is still bad and RR has been underwhelming but "worse than Ole" is taking the piss.
We are certainly not any better. To many long balls, team not compact enough to many gaps inbetween our lines, one part of our team seems to always be in the wrong posistion weather its the defence to deep or the attacking line to high and we don't press any more effectively than we did under ole don't look any better defensivly and look worse offensively and even more confused and error prone.

I would expect something posistive to cling onto now, in all honesty I'm beginning to wonder if RR might be out of his depth. To early to really tell but its creeping into my mind somewhat.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Atleast there's one positive, we're so shite we might not even make it into the conference League :)

Teja

We're just too open defensively at the moment. I thought with Bruno, Cavani as the front two, we have enough work rate in there to block up all the spaces but it's still too lightweight in the middle with just McFred (can't believe I even said that).

Djemba-Djemba

At one of his first press conferences Ragnick said he might recommend he takes the job permanently at the end of this season.

I know it's early days and I'm not really blaming him for how shit we are, we're rotten to the core as a club, but he's absolutely played himself out of that scenario.

We look just as shite as ever.

Skeppy2099

Supports
United
To be fair, on reflection he did make good subs that flattened villa out, albeit he took his time with them.

Also as someone above said it’s possible he’s running the players into the ground in training and that’s taking its toll. Hopefully that’s the case as it will start paying off eventually.

El Jefe

No one told me being 2-1 down to a relegation fodder is actually acceptable result now.

The performance is still bad and RR has been underwhelming but "worse than Ole" is taking the piss.
It wasn't acceptable but we could have gotten a result in that game until that happened.

I wasn't a fan of Ole the manager at all but we look worse in all aspects apart from defence and that may have a lot to do with Varane being available.
Yes the last 6 weeks of Ole's reign were horrendous but we played decent teams. We've played average to poor teams so far under RR and have been woeful in all of the games.

Someone

Something
Can the manager whip the players into putting in a shift if they are downing tools ?
They did work hard tonight but it's obvious that it goes deeper than this. It's his job to motivate them and get the best out of them. It feels like right now they're trying to avoid looking bad rather than playing with any conviction. And I honestly I don't get anything from Ralf that makes me think he's a good man manager. Once again we went for the complete opposite of our previous manager.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ralf - "We need 5 subs in the Premier League! These players aren't machines!"

Also Ralf - "I know we can use 5 subs, but let's only make one sub in the first 80 minutes... No matter how crap we are"

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The body language when he greets the players after the game looks very odd, feels like a complete lack of warmth in the relationship.

Telsim

I imagine that by now he regrets his decision to come here. I mean, these people fail at first touch, passing and keeping the ball. A lot of them couldn't care less. You can't build anything like that. He should use this time to identify the bad actors and start moving them soon.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I imagine that by now he regrets his decision to come here. I mean, these people fail at first touch, passing and keeping the ball. A lot of them couldn't care less. You can't build anything like that. He should use this time to identify the bad actors and start moving them soon.
I think so too! Odds on him resigning?

ole’s last 6 weeks were against city, liverpool, leicester and a couple of tough CL games. We havent played a decent team under Ralf.
Under Ole we played Watford (spanked 4-1), lost to fecking Young Boys, and actually got BEATEN by Villa at home. Ole won just 7 in 17 this season, it was absolutely fecking horrendous, don’t let recency bias fool you.
RR has won 4 in 7.

cyberman

Na he gets to build this side alongside the new manager from the summer on. I’d say there’s going to be a massive cull going by this, it’s exactly what he needed imo.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Years off mismanagement have got us to this. We are a counter attacking team. Out of the front four tonight only greenwood and maybe bruno can retain the ball, make the right decision, see the pass and execute the pass.

Then in Midfield we have no control of the game because Fred and Mctominah arent good enough.

Villa looked miles better than us technically tonight.

Flexdegea

They've downed tools most of the season........

I don't get what people are expecting, these attacking players have been shocking for months now. Mostly why we are struggling in matches.

You just need to look at the goal tallies more than half way thru the season. Shite

nickm

We haven't won a trophy since 2017, and both of those were literally C tier trophies. You think these players actually think they can win a trophy? They aren't gunning for a trophy. They're half assing it as they know Rangnick is gone in a few months and we start again. Most of them are probably sick of being at United after constant failures and probably want a clean start so don't even care to play for their futures anymore. If we luck our way to the quarter finals of the FA Cup, then the players might show up and start putting in a bigger effort IMO. Otherwise, nah. The attitude shown by the players has only gotten worse this season. The performances and lack of coaching has long been evident, but the attitude has just gotten really bad. My opinion is they liked Ole as a person and got along with him, but most probably also knew he wasn't a very good coach. Now? Some guy comes in and trying to shake things up even though he's only there for another half season? He's the substitute teacher and the class doesn't give a feck no matter if he's actually telling them the right things or not.
It's exactly this. When Fergie retired the first time, the players took their foot off the gas and those guys were proper United players. Interim managers - bad fecking idea.

(Also our midfield sucks, I mean, my god.)

Irwin99

I'm...not really liking what i'm seeing so far and i'm not sure it's his fault, however, there's just gaps everywhere in this side that teams of Villa's quality are exploiting and I don't understand why he doesn't stick another body in there. The attack sucks at the moment but it's the space we afford teams and the lack of control (57% possession for Aston fecking Villa at OT) that are just mind boggling for a club this size. The lack of real control and simple pass and move from these players has been well documented in both Jose and Ole's reigns but I can't believe it never gets any better.

Edit- pretty sure Wolves bossed possession at OT too. Not a good sign for me.

mu4c_20le

They did work hard tonight but it's obvious that it goes deeper than this. It's his job to motivate them and get the best out of them. It feels like right now they're trying to avoid looking bad rather than playing with any conviction. And I honestly I don't get anything from Ralf that makes me think he's a good man manager. Once again we went for the complete opposite of our previous manager.
His best spells were at Leipzig, a club that he practically helped build and has complete trust and control. He's never managed a big club before and it's showing now with the dressing room discontent. Which to be fair was probably brewing before he came along, but it certainly didn't help matters. So yes, in that sense I think he's feeling a bit of regret now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rangnick said earlier in the week he was shocked at how poor we are technically and it shows. Who tonight would get into Guardiolas city at present? Greenwood and Varane. That is about it. They can control the ball, retain it, and then make a good decision with it. Maybe bruno, but he is too erratic and gives the ball away too much.

The club is rotten.

Red Star One

Under Ole we played Watford (spanked 4-1), lost to fecking Young Boys, and actually got BEATEN by Villa at home. Ole won just 7 in 17 this season, it was absolutely fecking horrendous, don’t let recency bias fool you.
RR has won 4 in 7.
Anyone failing to see instant improvement in results is quite quite biased. We look crap because the squad was and is in an awful state, physically and mentally

Status
Not open for further replies.