g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yes. It was only the recruitment. I mean its not like he wanted Maguire right
Maguire wasn't bad last season though tbf. This year he's played like a pub player along with a few others.

The England connection is definitely a worry. Shaw Maguire and Rashford all dropped massively this season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I did. We came 2nd and 3rd and things were actually good for a while. Wheels came off this season through some absolutely disastrous recruitment decisions.
And at least we used to make one semi final after another those days. Nowadays all we're doing is celebrating winning the xG while Championship teams knock us out in the early rounds of the cup.

Fridge chutney

Rangnick should give Elanga and Hannibal a run of games. I could care less about a top 6 finish. Tumble down the table, cut the dross in the summer and completely rebuild. Middling Murtough can feck off as well, just give the DOF role to Rangnick and let him rebuild.
I'm good with this.

Fridge chutney

Ah yes, let's blame the new manager that hasn't had a preseason and arrived to a team that picked up 4 from 24 points on offer, along with no backing in January. It's totally his fault.
Haha this is so true. Why are people so worked up? He won't be manager in 2 months. So there's not even a point in "sacking" him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You feel like the club are trying to repeat this again and hope Poch gets sacked.
Poch would still be a worthwile and proper appointment (even if you think, and I agree, there might be one or two more interesting ones out there), and miles better than Moyes (who was just not comfortable at such a size club and the expected kind of football, even if he's clearly a capable manager in the right environment), Van Gaal and Mourinho (who were both past it, one long since and one freshly but acutely), and Solskjaer (who just had no business managing a club at the level based on his previous achievements, in relation to which he did kind of well).

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

There's too much self interest going on for any manager to handle. Shaw, Rashford and Lingard have all looked like they couldn't care less after coming on as sub in recent weeks. They want Rangnick to fail so a new manager gives them their place back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Poch would still be a worthwile and proper appointment (even if you think, and I agree, there might be one or two more interesting ones out there), and miles better than Moyes (who is just not comfortable at such a size club and the expected kind of football), Van Gaal and Mourinho (who were both past it, one long since and one freshly but acutely), and Solskjaer (who just had no business managing a club at the level based on his previous achievements, in relation to which he did kind of well).
You just get the feeling that our board are firstly after Poch, with the Ajax fella being too renegade a choice for them.

Left with a squad assembled by an overwhelmed man. I feel for him.. The shit he has to field is not even funny
People surely can’t look at how many players in this squad who give away good possession constantly and maintain a view that it’s a good squad?
I thought Ole’s “saving grace” was that he’d built a good squad for the next guy, but you can’t remain pig headed when you can clearly see that so many of these players you rated, are in fact, wank. No manager is somehow covering these weaknesses, squad needs another massive overhaul.

Giggsy13

Exactly. Of course the squad needs work. But it's unneccessary to call it "rotten" when you don't have someone in place to manage it properly.
The decisions regarding managerial appointments in the post Fergie era were much worse, and much more fatefully so, than the choice of player transfers.
I think there are a few rotten elements but Bruno, Sancho, Varane for example aren’t.

OrcaFat

I did. We came 2nd and 3rd and things were actually good for a while. Wheels came off this season through some absolutely disastrous recruitment decisions.
We got those 3rd and 2nd place with a squad that was still in transition as well. I don’t see why the teams we beat those years should be allowed any excuses (Ole never was).

It was a shock how badly we started the season and there was no coming back from it really but it amazes me that Ole still gets the blame for players who are playing badly and RR gets credit for the few players who have improved (Sancho is the only one really and it’s no shock that he has started to play better after a reasonable period of settling in).

Anyway it’s probably not all that helpful to compare RR’s record with Ole’s. It’s just that we’re losing too many games and heading for 6th place which surely is below par when you look at what was achieved (by hook or crook) with similar players in the last couple of years. It’s a short term worry that could have long term ramifications.

Jezpeza

Director job is completely different to the manager job so just because he sucks at the latter doesn't mean he will suck at the former. But the club has definitely muddied the water the way they've gone about business here. If the idea was that his long term role is director/consultant they should've given him that role straight away. Now however he will have this failed interim period as baggage when he moves upstairs in the summer.
this is my point. As interim, he has done average at best from favourable fixtures so far. If he fails to get us to top 4 it will be an abject failure. Then he goes upstairs. Thats massive mentality wise imo. I’d rather have brought in someone else and him straight upstairs. I also have this nagging feeling about him being a ‘club builder’. We are Man Utd not watford or bournemouth. There isnt the whole zero pressure zero expectation environment here and we dont especially need to sign players for 300k which we can sell on for £30m. I know some fans are salivating at the thought of us signing ‘the right players’ who play high press etc. what if we do that and end up with a team of athletes with no technical ability? All so much still in the air

Godfather

People surely can’t look at how many players in this squad who give away good possession constantly and maintain a view that it’s a good squad?
I thought Ole’s “saving grace” was that he’d built a good squad for the next guy, but you can’t remain pig headed when you can clearly see that so many of these players you rated, are in fact, wank. No manager is somehow covering these weaknesses, squad needs another massive overhaul.
The squad Ole built leaves us without a single position that doesn't need reinforcing.

RedDevilQuebecois

Poch would still be a worthwile and proper appointment (even if you think, and I agree, there might be one or two more interesting ones out there), and miles better than Moyes (who was just not comfortable at such a size club and the expected kind of football, even if he's clearly a capable manager in the right environment), Van Gaal and Mourinho (who were both past it, one long since and one freshly but acutely), and Solskjaer (who just had no business managing a club at the level based on his previous achievements, in relation to which he did kind of well).
No disrespect, but I say we are in for a very bad surprise with Poch. He had all the time to build a Spurs team that should have won at least 2 trophies by now, but he ended up with nothing. If he can't make unanimity at PSG considering where they are on all fronts, what makes you believe he can be the better choice for us? Besides, I'm just fed up with that BS about Premier League experience for a player or a manager.

Dansk

I'm far past the point of thinking that any manager can have much of an impact with this squad. The next one will need to do a major cleanout and bring in players of his choosing. The fact that this is necessary immediately after a supposed rebuilding is fecking tragic, but that appears to be the case. Either way, I don't think this has anything to do with Ralf. He's probably a perfectly decent manager, if not necessarily fantastic, and I don't think it matters one bit what he says and does because this squad culture is fundamentally dysfunctional.

Jezpeza

Left with a squad assembled by an overwhelmed man. I feel for him.. The shit he has to field is not even funny
but the ole outers used to proclaim this a title winning squad because Ole had finished second but should be doing oh so much better

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No disrespect, but I say we are in for a very bad surprise with Poch. He had all the time to build a Spurs team that should have won at least 2 trophies by now, but he ended up with nothing. If he can't make unanimity at PSG considering where they are on all fronts, what makes you believe he can be the better choice for us? Besides, I'm just fed up with that BS about Premier League experience for a player or a manager.
Victim of his own success. Before he managed Spurs noone would have demanded that the Spurs team 'should win trophies', because, well, they're Spurs. However, from what can be seen and from PSG fans themselves write on here, yeah there's question marks about his work there indeed, but for me not conclusive enough to wash away all the good work he did before.

Dansk

No disrespect, but I say we are in for a very bad surprise with Poch. He had all the time to build a Spurs team that should have won at least 2 trophies by now, but he ended up with nothing. If he can't make unanimity at PSG considering where they are on all fronts, what makes you believe he can be the better choice for us?
In fairness, it's Spurs. Under no conceivable circumstances can it be said that they "should have won" any trophies. They're sixth in line as far as finances and club stature. I could see Pep or Klopp managing them for three years and winning nothing at all. Nevertheless, he took them to three top 4 finishes, including a second place where they were in the title challenge until the last stages of the season, and a season where they had the most goals scored and the least conceded in the league. And a CL final. He did an absolutely incredible job at Spurs, and it can't just be summed up with "he didn't win any trophies, therefore it was a failure." He elevated them to an incredible degree, but he was up against City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Arsenal. I think he did almost as much for Spurs as Simeone did for Atletico, but he did it in a league where it takes much more than that to actually secure trophies. Simeone just had to beat two teams.

That said, I would still sooner go with Ten Hag just because it's a more exciting prospect. I wouldn't be immediately dejected if we end up with Poch, though. He really did an amazing job at Spurs. He came quite close to winning both the league and the CL, and he did it with a team that's so far below the competition that literally nobody else has done so in a generation, including Mourinho and Conte. That's saying something. He is by no means an incompetent manager, and I think he would do better than anyone we've had since Fergie.

Besides, I'm just fed up with that BS about Premier League experience for a player or a manager.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if PL experience just a load of nonsense. The two best PL managers right now had none when they arrived.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

I suspect we hired the right man for the wrong job.
Maybe. I just have this nagging doubt that if bayern munich appointed Alan Curbishley as interim going on dof if the Bayern Munich fans would pretend to know who he is and that he was the man to lead them back to the Promised land? My suspicion is that way round it sound laughable

Presto

Huh? Darmian, Young, Smalling, Bailly, Alexis, these are all better than our current lot?
Defensively Smalling was miles better than Maguire and better than every other CB like Blind, Baily, Jones, Lindelof.
Baily bar the crazy moments is also reliable than Maguire.

Young despite a left wing back / left midfielder being played as a left back was much more consistent than Shaw both attacking and defensive

el3mel

Ole apologists are unbearable at this point. Take your beloved Ole discussions away. We want to discuss the current manager in this thread. We can open another thread for such stupid comparisons to fill it with your agendas as much as you like.

Away from that..I didn't watch today's game but I don't need it to know that Ralf won't be good enough long term. It has been obvious for a while.

el3mel

but the ole outers used to proclaim this a title winning squad because Ole had finished second but should be doing oh so much better
And Ole inners used to proclaim their beloved Ole left us with a great squad and legacy and at a better shape than what he inherited.

Jezpeza

And Ole inners used to proclaim their beloved Ole left us with a great squad and legacy and at a better shape than what he inherited.
i believe he did. Im not especially an ole inner either. We have some players in dreadful form this season. We also have a shite interim following a manager who it went downhill for

arthurka

I don't blame him at all for anything of this shit that is on offer. Ed and Co have a lot to answer for.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
it defintely did
Maybe a few fringe idiots. The vast majority of people (whether you insist on pigeon-holing them as Ole outer or inners) knew damn well we needed a few key signings to have any hope of winning the league. We finished second but any fool could see we were nowhere near good enough to keep pace with Liverpool and City for a whole season if they got anywhere near the sustained excellence they’re capable of.

The only real difference of opinion was whether or not Ole was the right man to identify and sign those few final pieces of the jigsaw (turns out he wasn’t)

MancBorg

I reckon PL experience matters to some extent in that that style of play is very different when compared to, say, Holland.

in the Dutch league there is pretty much no physicality and it’s very much positional play focused. Therefore there would be an element of the game to adapt to. Not a deal breaker but definitely different.

Pep and Klopp both had experience of German league which is a bit more like ours.

el3mel

i believe he did. Im not especially an ole inner either. We have some players in dreadful form this season. We also have a shite interim following a manager who it went downhill for
You believing it or not doesn't mean it's true. He got us while we're 6th and miles away from the top, left us at 7th and miles away from the top. He took the squad in a toxic state, left it in a toxic state. He took the squad in need of several key signings and with a lot of overpaid, high price tag clowns, left it in need of several key signings and with a lot of overpaid, high price tag clowns.

OrcaFat

Ole apologists are unbearable at this point. Take your beloved Ole discussions away. We want to discuss the current manager in this thread. We can open another thread for such stupid comparisons to fill it with your agendas as much as you like.

Away from that..I didn't watch today's game but I don't need it to know that Ralf won't be good enough long term. It has been obvious for a while.
He’s not doing a good enough job with these players which I think is part circumstance and partly his age. In a different role he might be just what we need.

It’s probably true that there was never the intention to make him permanent coach because he hasn’t got the energy to do it and all parties have known this, I’m sure. I like him though.

Godfather

It wasn't a title winning squad and he bought the wrong players but it should certainly have done better than it did under him.

AshRK

If he still continues to give Lingard any minutes and begs Cavani to play, he clearly has no balls. Feck them. Build for the future.

Flexdegea

Like cockroaches the Ole in brigade out in full force. INTERIM manager rangnick taking the heat having to get a tune out of an over pampered, overpaid and unbalanced squad that he had nothing to do in building. Many of you need to calm down. We’re witnessing the destructive end to the Woodward/Ole era. Whether Murtough can turn it around is questionable but it seems the next dickhead CEO Arnold wants to take a different approach in his role. We are about 2 to 3 years away from being taken seriously again.

Not sure about that first line. I was Ole in most of the way. But really like Ralf, actually think he has done a good job all things considering dealing with the state we were in, the leaks, player mutiny it seems at times.................and trying to fix it mid season.

Not sure how anyone could fire blame at him. He has been given a woeful hand to be honest his honestly they squad don't seem to like. Also greenwood situation hasn't helped either.

Can't wait to see back of a lot of players to be honest. Mentally weak

Jezpeza

You believing it or not doesn't mean it's true. He got us while we're 6th and miles away from the top, left us at 7th and miles away from the top. He took the squad in a toxic state, left it in a toxic state. He took the squad in need of several key signings and with a lot of overpaid, high price tag clowns, left it in need of several key signings and with a lot of overpaid, high price tag clowns.
nonsense. To be honest, If we kept him as bad as it seemed I cant see us being any worse off than we are now. There are players that were mustard under him for years who are now ‘toxic’ because the sun said so. High paid clowns? Who? Sancho? Varane? Ronaldo? Dont think so. Just think its an excuse for people who dont want to admit we have hired a shite german nobody after Ole.

el3mel

He’s not doing a good enough job with these players which I think is part circumstance and partly his age. In a different role he might be just what we need.

It’s probably true that there was never the intention to make him permanent coach because he hasn’t got the energy to do it and all parties have known this, I’m sure. I like him though.
Ralf might have great ideas when it comes to football but it's clear he's not a good enough coach to actually implement these ideas on the pitch. At least not good enough anymore to do that job. In fairness, he hasn't been really coaching for a while and has been more of an executive director or manager for the last few years, so it's to be expected.

I said previously I can't believe some actually thought of him as a permanent manager next season. He's just an interim and shouldn't be anything else.

Josh 76

I reckon PL experience matters to some extent in that that style of play is very different when compared to, say, Holland.

in the Dutch league there is pretty much no physicality and it’s very much positional play focused. Therefore there would be an element of the game to adapt to. Not a deal breaker but definitely different.

Pep and Klopp both had experience of German league which is a bit more like ours.
Pep and Klopp didn’t start too well either

Status
Not open for further replies.