Raphinha | Barca player

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Great goal and is adapting very well to Xavi's game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolute Golazo. People that don't rate Raphinha will be eating humble pie soon I think.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'll prove to be snip, weird everyone saying he was overrated and expensive.
I can only assume it’s because he was a leeds player and nobody wants to compliment him? he was head and shoulders better than anybody on their team.

Mr PG

Barcelona got the wrong player imo but advantage to us. He’s the bigger athlete but antony is the more technical player

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Wait... so Barca don't have player names on their jerseys yet because they expect to sell some more and to reshuffle the numbers?
We usually don't have player names in our preseason shirts, even when we were flush with money.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
We usually don't have player names in our preseason shirts, even when we were flush with money.

Thanks, I didn't know. It probably makes sense when there are still players going in and out. Was just surprised to see it.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
At this rate Dembele will end on the bench. Good dribbling but can't score.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not the first one to wonder about it. As much as we all like a bit of banter, the situation Barcelona are in is taken seriously by other Football actors. It's not something that comes from deluded Football fans.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's not the first one to wonder about it. As much as we all like a bit of banter, the situation Barcelona are in is taken seriously by other Football actors. It's not something that comes from deluded Football fans.
That's why I believe the rumours that Bayern insisted on a one-off payment for the Lewandowski sale.

cafecillos

Why are they selling to Barcelona then, though? The "I didn't have a choice" is fecking bullshit, and he knows it.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Why are they selling to Barcelona then, though? The "I didn't have a choice" is fecking bullshit, and he knows it.
Powerful agents probably have a lot to do with it. They may say “if you block my client’s move to his preferred club we will tell other future clients not to come to your club.” Stuff like that.

cafecillos

Nah, he's just trying to save face. Agent influence and player preference have been a factor in transfers for decades and are now, whether we like or not (I don't), an essential part of the negotiations. He didn't know how to deal with that, failed miserably in the negotiations (by his own admission) and he's now saying that he "sold" the same item twice, gun to his head. Pure incompetence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It seems that it was a case of taking a risk with Barcelona or not selling the player at all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nah, he's just trying to save face. Agent influence and player preference have been a factor in transfers for decades and are now, whether we like or not (I don't), an essential part of the negotiations. He didn't know how to deal with that, failed miserably in the negotiations (by his own admission) and he's now saying that he "sold" the same item twice, gun to his head. Pure incompetence.
You realise that Raphinha gets to choose if he wants to go to Chelsea or not right? It was widely known that he wanted Barca more than anything and if they put a bid in then he'd not listen to any other offers but them.

cafecillos

You realise that Raphinha gets to choose if he wants to go to Chelsea or not right? It was widely known that he wanted Barca more than anything and if they put a bid in then he'd not listen to any other offers but them.
Why would he give his word or whatever to Chelsea then, though? That's not how negotiators who know how to negotiate do it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why would he give his word or whatever to Chelsea then, though? That's not how negotiators who know how to negotiate do it.
Perhaps the deal was done with Chelsea, Barca couldn't pay so it seemed dead and buried and then they somehow managed to scramble up finances so the deal could be made. Stuff like that happens. Raphinha and his agent may have then pressured them to take the Barca offer rather than Chelsea.

cafecillos

Perhaps the deal was done with Chelsea, Barca couldn't pay so it seemed dead and buried and then they somehow managed to scramble up finances so the deal could be made. Stuff like that happens. Raphinha and his agent may have then pressured them to take the Barca offer rather than Chelsea.
I know. Andrea Radrizzani doesn't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know. Andrea Radrizzani doesn't.
Have you read the full article? I just did and he says that Barcelona persuaded Raphinha to wait until they had the money and Raphinha was also open to going to Chelsea because initially there was a thought that Barca didn't have the funds. So Raphinha/Barcelona fecked over both Chelsea and Leeds. I wouldn't put blame on the owner or say he is bullshitting about having no choice. They needed to sell him and Phillips this year for FFP and to get transfers in.

cafecillos

Have you read the full article? I just did and he says that Barcelona persuaded Raphinha to wait until they had the money and Raphinha was also open to going to Chelsea because initially there was a thought that Barca didn't have the funds. So Raphinha/Barcelona fecked over both Chelsea and Leeds. I wouldn't put blame on the owner or say he is bullshitting about having no choice. They needed to sell him and Phillips this year for FFP and to get transfers in.
I would. He thought a negotiation (at the highest level, tens of millions of pounds involved) that wasn't over was. If he and/or Chelsea are now so sure that either Barcelona or Raphinha, or both, acted in bad faith, why are they not challenging the sale/contract legally? Anything else is just a pathetic face-saving stunt.

DiMaria

I read the same. It was down to the player in the end, and he preferred Barca. Players have a say in where they are going it’s not like can just be sold without their approval. And there is often a change of heart when something else is on the table. Almost always Brazilians will prefer Spain over England if both clubs are big. Remember Ronaldinho?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I would. He thought a negotiation (at the highest level, tens of millions of pounds involved) that wasn't over was. If he and/or Chelsea are now so sure that either Barcelona or Raphinha, or both, acted in bad faith, why are they not challenging the sale/contract legally? Anything else is just a pathetic face-saving stunt.
In terms of Leeds to Chelsea, it was. What wasn't over was Raphinha to Chelsea, he doesn't control what the player or agent does. He said to Chelsea we will sell him to you and they would have if Raphinha accepted, but he didn't because Barcelona persuaded him to accept their offer and wait. It's not a case of Leeds being able to push the deal through to Chelsea either as Raphinha has the last say on accepting the deal from Chelsea. As I said, they needed the money for player sales so they accepted the Barca deal and if they don't provide the money then they will have a global case because they only accepted it because 1. Raphinha chose Barcelona over Chelsea and 2. They needed the money to fund other deals in terms of FFP etc. He was put in an impossible position because of the need to sell. Was it disrespectful? Yes, but as I reiterate, he can't force Raphinha to do anything.

cafecillos

I read the same. It was down to the player in the end, and he preferred Barca. Players have a say in where they are going it’s not like can just be sold without their approval. And there is often a change of heart when something else is on the table. Almost always Brazilians will prefer Spain over England if both clubs are big. Remember Ronaldinho?
This happens every day in almost every transfer. The preferences of the players are, obviously and rightly, a huge factor when moving clubs. Everybody knows this, except for the owner of Leeds, that is, who decided to throw an embarrassing tantrum on social media because he didn't know when the negotiations actually ended. If he's going to be so out of his depth at that level, better hire some professionals to do the negotiating for you.

flappyjay

Its not in bad faith. Its basically similar to us and Malacia. The fee had been agreed and Malacia could have went to lyon but when we came in he chose us. Chelsea took Willian from spurs after he had done a medical.

cafecillos

In terms of Leeds to Chelsea, it was. What wasn't over was Raphinha to Chelsea, he doesn't control what the player or agent does. He said to Chelsea we will sell him to you and they would have if Raphinha accepted, but he didn't because Barcelona persuaded him to accept their offer and wait. It's not a case of Leeds being able to push the deal through to Chelsea either as Raphinha has the last say on accepting the deal from Chelsea. As I said, they needed the money for player sales so they accepted the Barca deal and if they don't provide the money then they will have a global case because they only accepted it because 1. Raphinha chose Barcelona over Chelsea and 2. They needed the money to fund other deals in terms of FFP etc. He was put in an impossible position because of the need to sell. Was it disrespectful? Yes, but as I reiterate, he can't force Raphinha to do anything.
Its not in bad faith. Its basically similar to us and Malacia. The fee had been agreed and Malacia could have went to lyon but when we came in he chose us. Chelsea took Willian from spurs after he had done a medical.
Exactly, this happens all the time, it's a standard part of the negotiations, a huge one actually. Considering a transfer done before the player agrees to it is so amateurish. And Leeds' owner knows this now, hence social media the tantrum and face-saving PR stunt.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
We offered him the wage almost 40 % less than what Barca gave him. No wonder he chose them over us.So why deco went to Barca even after we agreed the deal with Leeds. They offered him 80k/wk more than us.

If we have to sign raphinha then had to match what Barca offered. We were reluctant to give in. Player chose their offer which is better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Exactly, this happens all the time, it's a standard part of the negotiations, a huge one actually. Considering a transfer done before the player agrees to it is so amateurish. And Leeds' owner knows this now, hence social media the tantrum and face-saving PR stunt.
Why are you saying social media tantrum and PR stunt? It was an open interview with The Athletic. He isn't seeking sympathy, he was just telling his views on the situation and being transparent with the Leeds fans.

We offered him the wage almost 40 % less than what Barca gave him. No wonder he chose them over us.So why deco went to Barca even after we agreed the deal with Leeds. They offered him 80k/wk more than us.

If we have to sign raphinha then had to match what Barca offered. We were reluctant to give in. Player chose their offer which is better.
I don't think it was just the money, the allure of Barcelona over Chelsea also helped.

BerryBerryShrew

I think the difference is that Chelsea matched Spurs fee and we gave a comparable fee to the one Lyon offered for Malacia (I think we offered a higher total transfer fee but spread out over a longer period). Barca offered a significantly lower fee than Chelsea and then got the player to basically force the move to them which isn't entirely fair.

cafecillos

Why are you saying social media tantrum and PR stunt? It was an open interview with The Athletic. He isn't seeking sympathy, he was just telling his views on the situation and being transparent with the Leeds fans.
Yes, you are right, it's not a SM specific post. PR stunt though, absolutely, he conducted the negotiations amateurishly and now wants to appear to have had a gun to his head. Regarding the second part, that's a very, very generous interpretation and I don't have the same one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes, you are right, it's not a SM specific post. PR stunt though, absolutely, he conducted the negotiations amateurishly and now wants to appear to have had a gun to his head. Regarding the second part, that's a very, very generous interpretation and I don't have the same one.
Leeds, like Everton don't have many sellable assets in order to fund future transfers and be in line with FFP. The only players they realistically could sell were Phillips and Raphinha who both wanted to leave. The only club Raphinha wanted to join after he mucked around was Barca. It's either don't sell Raphinha, be unable to reinvest and potentially be relegated/not in line with FFP or sell him and unfortunately go back on the Chelsea deal, which Raphinha himself rejected.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

That's a nice cover up story, actual version is player wanted Barca and waited for them to agree fee with Leeds.