Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

Tarrou

it's kind of crazy to me that he wasn't booked in for surgery the day after the Euros

I mean all the faffing about with consultations and wotnot could've been done months ago

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Him not being available due to surgery is not the issue here. Him going to Euros is also not a big deal but if he had played with injury then he probably should have not gone. Its just that he choose to go to holiday after Euros and now is in consultation to check if he needs surgery is bit annoying.

edcunited1878

Yeah, it's crazy. For any player. But it so happens this is a player who has played through the pain barrier for a season and a half and been run into the ground.
Because the club has brought him up, they own his playing rights, and pay his wages? He's vital part of the club and so is his playing career. Get the surgery, rest up, get stronger, and fight for your place. The club is respecting his wishes and considering his opinion, which seems to be against surgery for a variety of reasons we don't know about.

The club is also has health insurance, player casualty insurance, etc all over him. It's not always as simple as surgery or no surgery because there are so many ramifications when decisions like this are made. It's why contracts and legal teams go through so much paperwork, especially when you're a player like Marcus's stature.

edcunited1878

it's kind of crazy to me that he wasn't booked in for surgery the day after the Euros

I mean all the faffing about with consultations and wotnot could've been done months ago
There's indecisiveness from both parties, and maybe more on Marcus's side. It makes no sense. Even if he decides against surgery, what's the process of treating the shoulder and rehab and strengthening it? He cannot be playing and getting treatment. Treatment and recovery is first and foremost, without the football training and playing.

edcunited1878

And from that Tweet on Monday about strained ligaments on the bottom of his right foot...that is symptomatic of plantar fasciitis. That's painful and while you can play through it, it's still painful and discomforting. Depends on your pain tolerance and actual flexibility of your foot, making running or sharp turns difficult. That's either months of rest/rehab or surgery to fix and rehab.

hobbers

It's not even a question of who's available at the start of the season. Rashford was playing badly in January and only got worse, to the point of being a total liability in the final. With England he barely got a kick.

We can't go into next season carrying him. It's counter productive and utterly stupid for all parties. Doesn't help us having him at 30%. Hurts his chances of having a long and successful career.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

He needed a vacation.....to calm down like every player after this coronavirus-season.

Operation after the Euros = Rehab and no vacation

The only problem is that there is still no decision what will happen with him.....according to reports he couldn't put his boots on in some matches in the last few months + of course the shoulder problems.

We supporters are far away but he wouldn't be the first player to make the totally wrong decision about his body.
Andy Murray made the wrong decision with his hip a few years ago.

0le

according to reports he couldn't put his boots on in some matches in the last few months + of course the shoulder problems.
I get this "playing through the pain" notion, but there is definitely a line which should not be crossed. It therefore seems unlikely to me where if you are in that much pain that the player and club would let it persist for multiple months. But you are right, who knows what is really going on.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I get this "playing through the pain" notion, but there is definitely a line which should not be crossed. It therefore seems unlikely to me where if you are in that much pain that the player and club would let it persist for multiple months. But you are right, who knows what is really going on.
Just my opinion but Southgate would have used him much more if he would have been really fit.

Now no operation for Rashford but then maybe in September (because his foot/shoulder injury got worse)....then people at the club must be sacked.

cyril C

Because the club has brought him up, they own his playing rights, and pay his wages? He's vital part of the club and so is his playing career. Get the surgery, rest up, get stronger, and fight for your place. The club is respecting his wishes and considering his opinion, which seems to be against surgery for a variety of reasons we don't know about.

The club is also has health insurance, player casualty insurance, etc all over him. It's not always as simple as surgery or no surgery because there are so many ramifications when decisions like this are made. It's why contracts and legal teams go through so much paperwork, especially when you're a player like Marcus's stature.
If the Club is in 100% control, Rashford should have never left for Euro. he should have his surgery right after the Europa final and rest for 6-8 weeks. It is never a problem on the surgery decision, it is about wasting 3 weeks after Euro, until everyone is back at work, to make a decision. Shouldn't that be done back in May? It sounds like those Moyes recruitment decision, I switch off my phone until Aug.

littleman

If the Club is in 100% control, Rashford should have never left for Euro. he should have his surgery right after the Europa final and rest for 6-8 weeks. It is never a problem on the surgery decision, it is about wasting 3 weeks after Euro, until everyone is back at work, to make a decision. Shouldn't that be done back in May? It sounds like those Moyes recruitment decision, I switch off my phone until Aug.
It's just a case of the romanticism around playing for England superseding actually taking care of himself. So he and MUFC are paying the price now.

If his wick burns out early, he'll just be forgotten and Sancho, Greenwood and other young players will be ready to take his place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really silly situation all round. Needs surgery but not only keeps playing for us but also goes to the Euros to be a mere cheerleaders. Been 3 weeks since those finished and it's still undecided. Pure madness.

The Red Thinker

I wonder how many of you have had elective surgeries. Surgeries are not as easy to recover from. There are a multitude of reasons why you hold off on them as much as possible. Pre-op prep, swelling management, post-op recovery, rehab, muscle training, football fitness... these are the steps. It takes time and it can be risky.

The reason Rashford was willing to wait it out was because he was hoping for there to be no need for it. No matter how far medicine has advanced, I assure you as someone coming from a family of doctors, that it's not straightforward. Especially with muscle injuries. He's had no time to rest his muscles for the waiting period to even start. For the first time in a long long time, Rashford finally relaxed away on holiday having gone through an injury laden, punishing season. You can only assess it now. So take it easy guys. There's more to this than what meets the eye.

edcunited1878

The club talks to the player and FA/Southgate about it. It's always a group decision when releasing a player for country duty.

This wasn't some Nations League competition. And the FA/politics of it play a huge part of inclusion, i.e. his charity work of the pitch.

Henderson wasn't completely fit going into Euros yet the club allowed him to go and then he made the decision to leave the team altogether. So players have a say because that's part of the club allowing players represent their country. That's always a massive thing, especially for England.

edcunited1878

I wonder how many of you have had elective surgeries. Surgeries are not as easy to recover from. There are a multitude of reasons why you hold off on them as much as possible. Pre-op prep, swelling management, post-op recovery, rehab, muscle training, football fitness... these are the steps. It takes time and it can be risky.

The reason Rashford was willing to wait it out was because he was hoping for there to be no need for it. No matter how far medicine has advanced, I assure you as someone coming from a family of doctors, that it's not straightforward. Especially with muscle injuries. He's had no time to rest his muscles for the waiting period to even start. For the first time in a long long time, Rashford finally relaxed away on holiday having gone through an injury laden, punishing season. You can only assess it now. So take it easy guys. There's more to this than what meets the eye.
Rotator cuff surgery for a footballer isn't as severe or risky as rotator cuff surgery for a baseball pitcher or cricket bowler for your throwing/bowling arm.

Regardless of surgery or not, Marcus needs months away from non contact football training to rest and rehab and strengthen his shoulder. It cannot be train, be available for selection, and semi treatment like it has been for many months. He's holding himself back and the team.

It's not as if the player and club have only found out the severity of the injury. It's been on going for months and there are only two options, both requiring him to be out for a significant time.

Marcus has to step away from football related activity and physically repair his body.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Needs to focus on career longevity here. Put everything to the side and if he can get fit without surgery and it takes longer so be it as that is usually the best way to heal 100%. Not a straight forward decision as to whether operating is always the best option but one thing is for sure he needs to stop playing before his body reaches a point of no return.

dinostar77

Him not being available due to surgery is not the issue here. Him going to Euros is also not a big deal but if he had played with injury then he probably should have not gone. Its just that he choose to go to holiday after Euros and now is in consultation to check if he needs surgery is bit annoying.
Should never have gone to Euros, should have had surgery then holiday to recover. Wouldnt have happened under fergie.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whats disapppointing is that he joined Euro only to play a minor role and ended it by fecking up a penalty. Thanks Southgate, you could have told him he wont play so he could have had the surgery. I mean his formations consist of 6-7 defensive players anyway.

wolvored

Duncan Castles has dodgy reliability, at best, but it's seeming more possible that he might be right about the club not being happy that Rashford went to the Euros and now wants to have, what our doctors and the England doctors consider to be an elective surgery, during club time.
This is probably the truth of the matter. The club are probably thinking it didn't bother you during the Euros so why do you now need to have it done?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I really don’t blame him for going to the euros.. had England won he would’ve wanted to be a part of that trophy winning squad no matter what..
But now he needs to get this surgery outta the way and be patient for the time being

Bestietom

Needs to be done, but should have skipped euros and got it done. Best of luck anyway, Rashy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love the doctors in this thread saying Rashford should have missed the Euros and the chance to make history so he could have surgery early and play a couple of extra league games for us
It is not black or white situation. When you are a pro, you have responsibility towards you employer who pays your (huge) wages.
But also playing for NT is a huge honour for every athlete.
I don't know what to think here, tbh. Especially when you know now that he was a passenger on that Euro.

wise_old_man

Ole should make it clear to Rashford: "Until you have had your surgery and recovered fully, we have NO USE of you on the pitch".

Alan Partridge

Should have stopped after saying what is best for him Ole!!!!
Maybe Ole is expressing a bit of discontent there.

The way Rashford was playing towards the end of our season, and IF this injury is really to blame, he should’ve jumped right into an operating theatre after the Europa final. Him wanting to go to euros is understandable, but then taking a cheeky holiday afterwards was pushing it in my opinion.

Football at the highest level demands massive sacrifice. Rashford obviously knows this but something about his demeanor of late makes me fear he may have forgotten.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know what Ole is implying but what is good for Rashford is also good for the club. I have heard reports his right foot is also fecked. He needs to be away for as long as it takes him to completely heal.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Absolutely pointless him going to the Euros - and it's clear to anyone who has watched him regularly that he's needed time off/treatment for most of last season.

This is now getting to a worrying point where either we're willingly risking his long-term future or he's simply refusing to listen to experts.

Should have had the necessary operation months ago.

spiriticon

If he and the club make that decision not to have the surgery, then I suppose he is fit and we can drop any excuses to his form due to 'injury'

If he wants to play injured, fine, but he needs to find a way to manage that and still make an impression on the team. Don't want him walking around and holding back on physical challenges.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he and the club make that decision not to have the surgery, then I suppose he is fit and we can drop any excuses to his form due to 'injury'

If he wants to play injured, fine, but he needs to find a way to manage that and still make an impression on the team. Don't want him walking around and holding back on physical challenges.
Whilst I think he needs to get the surgery, especially as he is probably doing himself long term damage by not. He made an impression on the team last season whilst injured.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Absolutely pointless him going to the Euros - and it's clear to anyone who has watched him regularly that he's needed time off/treatment for most of last season.

This is now getting to a worrying point where either we're willingly risking his long-term future or he's simply refusing to listen to experts.

Should have had the necessary operation months ago.
It doesn’t risk his long term future. Every article says it isn’t going to get worse without surgery. It’s about whether he can manage the injury without impacting his performance due to the mobility issues it creates. One of the treatments is simply to rest - from what I’ve read surgery is rarely required for this injury - so I’d assume he’s been asked to take the three weeks off and then they’ll have another check to see if it’s made any impact before deciding to jump in to a course of action that could see him miss 12 weeks of football. It obviously isn’t the simple decision everyone on here and in the media makes it out to be - As per usual there’s nuance and context involved.

spiriticon

Whilst I think he needs to get the surgery, especially as he is probably doing himself long term damage by not. He made an impression on the team last season whilst injured.
He did make an impression by scoring plenty I agree. But I also felt he didn't track back as much as his peers or get stuck in the defending as much when we needed him to.

I closed one eye to that, hoping that he would survive the season without major injury and get the surgery done asap. But if it doesn't happen, well, I guess he doesn't need it and I hope to see an improvement there.

Number32

Did he just have surgery on his back last year? Weird he delay the surgery if this is so important.

Seems like he has a bigger problem on his private life than health, I hope he wouldn't end up like Kaka who declined rapidly after several surgeries.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It doesn’t risk his long term future. Every article says it isn’t going to get worse without surgery. It’s about whether he can manage the injury without impacting his performance due to the mobility issues it creates. One of the treatments is simply to rest - from what I’ve read surgery is rarely required for this injury - so I’d assume he’s been asked to take the three weeks off and then they’ll have another check to see if it’s made any impact before deciding to jump in to a course of action that could see him miss 12 weeks of football. It obviously isn’t the simple decision everyone on here and in the media makes it out to be - As per usual there’s nuance and context involved.
Of course there's more to it than what we know, but what we can see isn't exactly promising.

A fit and on-form Rashford gets far more time at the Euros than what he received. No question about it. He clearly wasn't up to it - form and fitness wise - and was there for a "moment of magic"/morale.

It's also pretty evident from having watched him this season that he's got more than just one issue. His shoulder is clearly still a concern.

I can only guess at what the right course of action is in regards to his recovery, but forcing him to play/train through it the way Utd and England have done is clearly not helping.

Anustart89

They could've also scheduled the surgery for the week when he comes back from his three week holiday, and then if the injury turned out to be better they could've just cancelled it.

That would've saved a lot of time as opposed to going on holiday and then scheduling the surgery after he comes back.

buckooo1978

Can't change the bad decisions of the past in relation to Rashfords health/fitness

He 100% needs to go into a season with a clean bill of health. If it is October so be it.

We've depth to cover him and Dan James is better than a half fit Rashford

bosskeano

not as concerned by the shoulder situation as that is manageable for a footballer, it's the ankle issue he's been dealing with that is more concerning.

Gator Nate

Should have stopped after saying what is best for him Ole!!!!
Well, if Rashford gets cold feet about the surgery, and what's best for the club is for him to have the surgery, you can bet Ole is going to put the pressure on Marcus to go through with it.

I'm rather under the impression from all the quotes that this was sometthing that might go away with time, but didn't. They've finally thrown in the towel and said surgery.

So Marcus has to do it, sit out, and do the recovery. That's a short-term blow to any professional athlete. Ole's job now is to sell himon long-term, which is in the best interest of both athlete and club.

Can't change the bad decisions of the past in relation to Rashfords health/fitness

He 100% needs to go into a season with a clean bill of health. If it is October so be it.

We've depth to cover him and Dan James is better than a half fit Rashford
That's not gonna go down well here. But I agree!