Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost bear

Any week now Rashford will become the 22nd player in United history to reach 100 goals, and he's only just turning 25 this month.

I don't think he has performed at his full potential in recent years but he does seem to be in the mood this season and I think he has been a bit unfairly judged.

Maybe what we are seeing is ETH really making a positive difference for the lad behind the scenes.

At any rate it certainly seems like him and Martial are capable of winning us games nowadays so if this run of form keeps up I hope he does stay on.
Earlier on in the life of this post, I came down firmly on the side of selling him. Now I am not so sure. I argued then that it wasn’t just an issue of form- whatever exactly that is - but a deeper question of his attitude. He didn’t appear to give a shit.

Now I am wondering whether, as was rumoured at the time, he was in fact a very unhappy guy. Something that underlay his apparent attitude, like a really serious case of depression.

Tonight, I saw Marcus really smiling for the first time in about two years. He looks engaged again, and looks like he does, in fact, give not just a shit, but a considerable shit. A passionate shit. If he was suffering from depression and has now come through, then I for one would probably wish to keep him. If you remember, he can in truth be a brilliant player, almost unstoppable.

Anyway, I was sure, but now I’m not. I consider that to be progress.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Any week now Rashford will become the 22nd player in United history to reach 100 goals, and he's only just turning 25 this month.

I don't think he has performed at his full potential in recent years but he does seem to be in the mood this season and I think he has been a bit unfairly judged.

Maybe what we are seeing is ETH really making a positive difference for the lad behind the scenes.

At any rate it certainly seems like him and Martial are capable of winning us games nowadays so if this run of form keeps up I hope he does stay on.
Unfairly judged? only last week he's having a stinker

It's not like he's on a hot run and being judged for 1 bad game.

And it's Omonia Nicosia

Dion

Give him a new contract, don't give him a higher wage. Ideally I'd like it more structured on performance.

If there isn't a place for someone as talented as Rashford around at United I don't really know what the point of the club is to be honest. He's more than good enough to be a squad player and he's Manc born and bred. That matters.
Still maintain this.

Grande

Earlier on in the life of this post, I came down firmly on the side of selling him. Now I am not so sure. I argued then that it wasn’t just an issue of form- whatever exactly that is - but a deeper question of his attitude. He didn’t appear to give a shit.

Now I am wondering whether, as was rumoured at the time, he was in fact a very unhappy guy. Something that underlay his apparent attitude, like a really serious case of depression.

Tonight, I saw Marcus really smiling for the first time in about two years. He looks engaged again, and looks like he does, in fact, give not just a shit, but a considerable shit. A passionate shit. If he was suffering from depression and has now come through, then I for one would probably wish to keep him. If you remember, he can in truth be a brilliant player, almost unstoppable.

Anyway, I was sure, but now I’m not. I consider that to be progress.
He’s had a good start to this season, and more importantly, his allround play is picking up again. Today he also worked his socks off in defensive duels several time.

Looks like he is enjoying his football again, which I enjoy seeing.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Had a brilliant half yesterday but let's not get carried away. Let's see where we're at after the world cup.

Bestie07

I was firmly in the camp of selling him, but Sancho's inability to make any sort of impact is changing my mind. I would rather we sell him for whatever we can get and get a new wide player from the proceeds, and keep Rashford to rotate with the new player. With Rashford, at least his pace is a real weapon and when he is on it he can nigh on impossible to stop. Sancho however is proving to be a real problem in our system and just doesn't provide any tangible threat at all, seems like a blunt knife.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

And it's Omonia Nicosia
Is he not allowed to score against Omonia Nicosia then? :confused:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sancho is now the new Rashford for many people. Both of them are talented players, both will come good and you should hang onto them. There wouldn't be any shortage of clubs happy to take them off your hands.

Luka Mora

His attitude has approved so much better than last season which is the most important thing. You don't hear so much drips coming from his pr team and seems he is getting his head down and working hard to familiarise himself with Ten Hag's methods.

If he was sulking like he did last season and having his pr team come out with excuses for below average performances or not starting in his ideal position, then I'd say to get rid, but he if keeps up his form and remaining low key, then I don't see why he shouldn't get an extension in future.

Doracle

He’s one of the most productive left wingers in Europe and will cost at least £75 million to adequately replace based on the price we are paying for wingers. I’d continue to hold off offering him a new contract for now but surely it’s a no-brainer provided his form doesn’t fall off a cliff?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Still maintain this.
I wanted him sold badly and wouldn't mind seeing it happen still.

Your take is probably the most sensible but we know footballers don't sign new contracts for the same or lower wage. And that is the problem.

Skills

Snitch
It's always the case of the grass is always greener with this fanbase.

I remember when half the cafe was desperate to improve on Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. They were miles better than the players we've actually bought to replace them since then.

stw2022

Doubt he'll ever be able to kick on. It isn't his age nor is it an experience issue. If people are honest their expectations of Rashford are still - all these years appearances later - is indistinguishable from expectations they might have for a promising 19 year old who's had a handful of decent appearances in the first team.

To get on the Rashford train you have to infantilise him to a large degree. Pretend he just a young lad overcoming he odds and adversity. When you see him play and have knowledge of the depth of football experience he has and the wealth of know how and guile he should have amassed by now, his performances are seldom not embarrassing. Stopped clocks are right once every 12 hours. Rashford isn't far off looking decent once every 12 games.

If we don't sell he'll be knocking 30, feeding kids and "coming good" any day.

I get that his charity work makes him somewhat of a club mascot. But where is the real charity? The food banks or the superstar wages for a proven (often barely) average footballer?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He's a fantastic option to have and any replacement (I.e a good attacking player, not even a world class one) would probably cost more than 60/70 million.

Threesus

Personally, I wouldn’t. This is how we end up with players like Mata / Jones staying here for 8-10 years. He contributed to 2 trophies, his time here is done.

And it's Omonia Nicosia
He’s actually been played out of position for most of the season due to Ronaldo acting the buffoon and Martial being injured; yet he’s on 5 goals and 3 assists in 8 games. With 3 goals in the massive wins vs. Liverpool and Arsenal.
So your bolded line there is just you playing silly fecks.

And who the funk didn’t have a stinker v City?

Under ETH, even out of position, he looks reinvented and back to his former self.

Doracle

Doubt he'll ever be able to kick on. It isn't his age nor is it an experience issue. If people are honest their expectations of Rashford are still - all these years appearances later - is indistinguishable from expectations they might have for a promising 19 year old who's had a handful of decent appearances in the first team.

To get on the Rashford train you have to infantilise him to a large degree. Pretend he just a young lad overcoming he odds and adversity. When you see him play and have knowledge of the depth of football experience he has and the wealth of know how and guile he should have amassed by now, his performances are seldom not embarrassing. Stopped clocks are right once every 12 hours. Rashford isn't far off looking decent once every 12 games.

If we don't sell he'll be knocking 30, feeding kids and "coming good" any day.

I get that his charity work makes him somewhat of a club mascot. But where is the real charity? The food banks or the superstar wages for a proven (often barely) average footballer?
If you exclude last season as an anomaly caused by injury and Ralph being a bad manager, and take his stats across 2019-20, 20-21 and the start of this, he has:

Games - 109
Goals - 48
Assists - 30

So, primarily playing LW, he’s scoring at nearly 1 in 2 and GA is 0.72 per game.

Vinicius, by way of comparison, has 35 goals in 112 games in the last two and a bit seasons and a GA of 0.59 per game.

Son has 49 goals and 28 assists in 107 games, so very similar stats.

But yeah, clearly a “proven barely average” footballer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Same people saying sell him are the exact same guys saying Sancho would come here and show him up.

Rashford won't be leaving.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty confident he’s not going anywhere and Ten Hag likes him

Thank feck the Caf has nothing to do with the club

We will see what his goals and assists contributed to at the end of the season. I don’t see us winning the league or CL with players like him.
We won leagues and CL with players like Jesper Blomqvist & Park, hell, with Tom fecking Cleverley and Anderson, so yeah, stupid as feck way to look at it.
James Milner has won leagues with 2 clubs and the CL. Jordan Henderson has both. Etc etc etc

OverratedOpinion

Personally, I wouldn’t. This is how we end up with players like Mata / Jones staying here for 8-10 years. He contributed to 2 trophies, his time here is done.
Our squad has a lot of areas to improve and you want to give up on a player who has scored over 20 and had over 10 assists from our wide in 2 of the last 3 seasons and has 5 in 8 so far this year?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
How I hate the line “we will never win the league or CL with player x in the team” - yep, because when we used to win them we only had potential balon d’or winners in our team. There are several players worse than Rashford who have won big titles with us and other teams.

RedDevil@84

New contract for a month of decent form :lol: :lol:
Looks like some fanboys were waiting for this for past 1.5 yrs.

How I hate the line “we will never win the league or CL with player x in the team” - yep, because when we used to win them we only had potential balon d’or winners in our team. There are several players worse than Rashford who have won big titles with us and other teams.
It’s just a basic misunderstanding of football. I’m sure for example Arsenal fans a plenty have said they’ll never be a top team with Xhaka as a regular, and some of the same fans now think they are title contenders.
Football is about so much more than the individual.

Does the same bloke think if Rashford plays on the left for City they suddenly stop winning titles? :lol:

Last edited:

stw2022

How I hate the line “we will never win the league or CL with player x in the team” - yep, because when we used to win them we only had potential balon d’or winners in our team.
We had no players who looked awful for 12-24 months starting regularly that everyone was fine with because 'maybe he's fallen out of love with football'

He's in his 7th season as a regular member of the starting XI. David Beckham only had 8 seasons with us as a regular first XI player. The level Rashford should be at vs the level he is at are two different things.

25 this month and still there's zero expectation when he plays. At some point some people will stop having the nerve to pretend that isn't an issue.

Last edited:
We had no players who looked awful for 12-24 months starting regularly that everyone was fine with because 'maybe he's fallen out of love with football'
Not true, it’s just been 30 years since we’ve been in a position to have a conversation about “winning titles again” and the quality of player that requires.

Choccy’s not a bad example, in 1989-90 he scored just 5 in 37 league appearances as a forward. Fast forward to 1992-93 and he was a league winner, with 41 league appearances.

stw2022

I'm sorry if at any point I overlooked the classic 'It might appear his performances have been tumescent shit when you watch him play, but we've uncovered some stats stat prove actually we've all been wrong' argument that follows him around.

Like when an article in the Daily Star argues cake is healthier than a salad because of the presence of some vaguely beneficial amino acid trace in gateaux that proves statistically being 26st is actually brilliant

I'm sorry if at any point I overlooked the classic 'It might appear his performances have been tumescent shit when you watch him play, but we've uncovered some stats stat prove actually we've all been wrong' argument that follows him around.
He clearly had a dog shit season last year, don’t think you’ll find anyone arguing otherwise.

That said, the entire team looked like relegation candidates as that clusterfeck of a season went on.

This season though, mainly played out of position he’s been for the most part excellent, without him vs. Arsenal and Liverpool we’d be in a pretty terrible position.
Exciting to see him brimming with confidence, scoring regularly and back on the left.

stw2022

He clearly had a dog shit season last year, don’t think you’ll find anyone arguing otherwise.

That said, the entire team looked like relegation candidates as that clusterfeck of a season went on.

But you look others and you can see something. Not all. With him?. What else is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.