Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It doesn't matter that the poll has ended, it still tells a story and if it were held all over again it wouldn't be much different from what it is now. He's showing the world who Rashford is.
You’re right, because his recent ascendancy is just that, recent. He needs to sustain this for longer than a month.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It doesn't matter that the poll has ended, it still tells a story and if it were held all over again it wouldn't be much different from what it is now. He's showing the world who Rashford is.
:lol:

What the hell is this supposed to mean? Are you one of those people who think Rashford is the second coming of Ronaldo?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Too many knee jerk reactions, give the one year extension after the WC and then look to sell in the summer. He isn't the answer and we have better options unless he's willing to be a squad player and be paid like one.
We have better options? Please enlighten us on who they might be as from what I can see we don't have anyone as good and productive as he is from the left. Garnacho might be the one to do it but he's certainly not there yet.

Sancho isn't it mate if that's who you are meaning. He is just not up to it.

AFC NimbleThumb

85% wanting him sold is very telling
Tells me how fecking stupid this fanbase is. Same ones already writing off Antony after 2 league games.

No one will ever be good enough unless we’re winning everything in sight. Imbeciles.

roseguy64

Too many knee jerk reactions, give the one year extension after the WC and then look to sell in the summer. He isn't the answer and we have better options unless he's willing to be a squad player and be paid like one.
Which better options?

pogbasformerbarber

These threads are mad.

Man city and many other world class teams have close to two full quality starting line ups…rotating players based on form. Their success and management breeds competition and determination…and they are well positioned for when there is an injury. We seem obsessed with thinning out our squad…why?

Rashfords been our best forward so far this year. It’s not really been close. We’ve score less goals than Fulham in the premier league. Man city has 20 more goals than us. People here really think jettisoning another quality forward (further thinning our squad) to try and buy a more expensive, unproven player this summer is a good move? Madness…

stw2022

The fact he happens to be the most prolific player at a time where the team has had an horrific period isn't the smoking gun argument everyone seems to think it is.

Ferguson regularly broke up successful teams and sold much higher performing and better players to prevent stagnation and ensure continued success. It just shows how the mindset of fans has shifted so much that the 'tallest dwarf' argument is now put forward.

Yes he's been shit but he's been less shit than many others at various points so talk of selling him is - apparently - out of the question. This is why I say no single player epitomises how far we've fallen than Rashford.

A decent squad player with nothing exceptional or special about his game at all, with huge question marks over his work rate, being the focal point of our team on wages multiple Champions League winners couldn't command.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The fact he happens to be the most prolific player at a time where the team has had an horrific period isn't the smoking gun argument everyone seems to think it is.

Ferguson regularly broke up successful teams and sold much higher performing and better players to prevent stagnation and ensure continued success. It just shows how the mindset of fans has shifted so much that the 'tallest dwarf' argument is now put forward.

Yes he's been shit but he's been less shit than many others at various points so talk of selling him is - apparently - out of the question. This is why I say no single player epitomises how far we've fallen than Rashford.

A decent squad player with nothing exceptional or special about his game at all, with huge question marks over his work rate, being the focal point of our team on wages multiple Champions League winners couldn't command.
Think you miss the point to be honest. I doubt anyone thinks his starting place shouldn’t be in doubt. But I would be more worried about whether we should keep Sancho than Rashford.

stw2022

Think you miss the point to be honest. I doubt anyone thinks his starting place shouldn’t be in doubt. But I would be more worried about whether we should keep Sancho than Rashford.
I'm not sure that's true. People do routinely present stats to argue he's essential and that not seeing his worth based on those stats is somehow small minded. You wouldn't get posters objecting to strongly if they just viewed him as a squad/rotation option.

He's capable of playing well but probably for the longest time for every half a of football match where he's looked competent there have been six or seven games where his contribution have been a disgrace and his presence counter productive. I don't know how he gets away with turning out most weeks with the energy of a 47 year old, 20-a-day retired pundit pitching up for a Unicef fundraising match against Gordon Ramsay and Robbie Williams.

And the excuses NEVER stop. He looks like he's fallen out of love with the game. He might have personal concerns at home. He's still recovering from the injury. He hasn't had a pre-season/ he's had too much of a pre-season. He's playing out of position. The opposition doesn't suit him, he's better against a high line. The wind was against him.

There's nothing there with this lad. Even if we get someone with (supposedly) half the talent with an average work rate he'd be more useful

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I'm not sure that's true. People do routinely present stats to argue he's essential and that not seeing his worth based on those stats is somehow small minded. You wouldn't get posters objecting to strongly if they just viewed him as a squad/rotation option.

He's capable of playing well but probably for the longest time for every half a of football match where he's looked competent there have been six or seven games where his contribution have been a disgrace and his presence counter productive. I don't know how he gets away with turning out most weeks with the energy of a 47 year old, 20-a-day retired pundit pitching up for a Unicef fundraising match against Gordon Ramsay and Robbie Williams.

And the excuses NEVER stop. He looks like he's fallen out of love with the game. He might have personal concerns at home. He's still recovering from the injury. He hasn't had a pre-season/ he's had too much of a pre-season. He's playing out of position. The opposition doesn't suit him, he's better against a high line. The wind was against him.

There's nothing there with this lad. Even if we get someone with (supposedly) half the talent with an average work rate he'd be more useful
Good posts.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Half the talent with average work rate like Elanga?
Maybe you just overrate Rashfords talent like most United fans.

Again Im not saying hes essential to us. Im just saying we might have a bigger issue with some of our other forwards.

No excuses for him have been made by me. You’re ignoring the fact that we have other underperforming forwards and need to decide who to replace first.

Maybe Rashford should he first out. I’m not convinced by that though and to be honest I think this season will tell us alot

Sir Erik ten Hag

Way too much arguing with emotion. Selling a player who scored 40 goals and played with passion this season because the previous season he downed tools which was an anomaly from his previous 4 or 5 years.

But okay.
Fergie was ready to sell Rooney to Chelsea (A Premier League rival), despite Rooney's years of contribution. All because he thinks Rooney's heart and goals did not align with the team anymore, and it became a matter of ethic/principle. That doesn't mean Fergie acted with emotion.

JeffFromHK

2-3 years new contract with a base salary reduction and attractive goal/assist bonus.

150k base salary
70k for 1 goal(s) or more in each competitive game
50k for 1 assist(s) or more in competitive game

it will be a salary increase for him if he plays well.

stw2022

RedCafe dont represent the actual fanbase, especially the matchday going crowd.
Rashford has got more stick from crowd for his bullshit than any other player, arguably except Maguire. Let's not pretend he is some Stretford End hero. They got sick of his shit before anyone else did.

Let's not pretend matchday fans haven't been far more critical of him vs people online who argue he couldn't have been wank because: stats. Match paying fans are far more less likely to give a shit about the 'if I say this will someone say I'm not a Top Red anymore?' than is assumed

Ditto regular conversations in the pub. Nobody reacts to a shit performance by quoting OPTA figures in the Horse and Duck or the terraces

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Will be a decent squad option. the thing with rashford is he’s awful when he starts games but looks good when he’s coming of the bench. Be good for a super sub role, when opposition defences are tired then bring him on. The Same with a lot of our squad though, can never start games bright, it takes them to be a goal or 2 down before they start playing or second halve after getting told of the manager.

NLunited

He‘s trusted by Hag and scoring and assisting. Must stay.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
The way he is playing at the moment - the idea of selling him is stupid

Threesus

I can guarantee that he will drop a stinker today. 7 years in the first team, and still inconsistent as feck. I really hope that the club don’t start talks before the season ends.

mu4c_20le

The way he is playing at the moment - the idea of selling him is stupid
Agreed. I'd even go as far as to say that applies anytime. Unless the club staff knew something behind the scenes that we dont, form is usually temporary, and we all know his class.

HookedOnAPhelan

Not good enough to be a starter, far too many flaws in his game (even if he is capable of match-winning moments), and needs his salary cut substantially. If he's willing to accept that then sure, let him stay. If not, get rid.

Redfrog

Fergie was ready to sell Rooney to Chelsea (A Premier League rival), despite Rooney's years of contribution. All because he thinks Rooney's heart and goals did not align with the team anymore, and it became a matter of ethic/principle. That doesn't mean Fergie acted with emotion.
He was ready to sell because he knew he was past his best and not up to it physically anymore. That’s not the case of Rashford.
Fergie had a big squad and rotated quite a lot. We won’t win anything if we are not having a lot of options. And this year Rashford is showing to be on of the best in attack actually.

Green Yellow Red

He has done very little for his club and country. He has been inconsistent since stepping up to the first team. His work rate is not good enough. His hold up play is poor. Not good enough to be starting as a centre forward for Manchester United or England. He does a job for both, but that's it. But part player at best, everyone getting carried away again after a couple of goals. He's 25 in about 3 weeks. He isn't a kid anymore. Sancho and Antony our best wide players. As soon as United get a proper striker that can play to Ten Hags style, Rashford will be gone, if we can get 50 plus for him...TAKE IT.

TheReligion

Abusive
He has done very little for his club and country. He has been inconsistent since stepping up to the first team. His work rate is not good enough. His hold up play is poor. Not good enough to be starting as a centre forward for Manchester United or England. He does a job for both, but that's it. But part player at best, everyone getting carried away again after a couple of goals. He's 25 in about 3 weeks. He isn't a kid anymore. Sancho and Antony our best wide players. As soon as United get a proper striker that can play to Ten Hags style, Rashford will be gone, if we can get 50 plus for him...TAKE IT.
Ahh so you’re true colours are you don’t like Rashford

That explains it and your comment in the performance thread! :lol:

Green Yellow Red

Ahh so you’re true colours are you don’t like Rashford

That explains it and your comment in the performance thread!
I like Marcus but he's been poor and wasteful in most of the games this season and notched two relatively simple assists and a few decent goals, one of which he actually messed up and that only went in via deflection. Banked millions doing nothing for years except work on his "brand" and court awards/sponsorship... then 1 or 2 half decent games.... and suddenly fans like you saying "hes back"!!!! Back to what?? I don’t think he'll get any better no matter how much his ego is stroked... :nono:

stw2022

I like Marcus but he's been poor and wasteful in most of the games this season and notched two relatively simple assists and a few decent goals, one of which he actually messed up and that only went in via deflection. Banked millions doing nothing for years except work on his "brand" and court awards/sponsorship... then 1 or 2 half decent games.... and suddenly fans like you saying "hes back"!!!! Back to what?? I don’t think he'll get any better no matter how much his ego is stroked... :nono:
He's not had more than five good games in two years but you underestimate the amount of 'real fan' kudos many invest in him because they bought into it fairytale. So he we are.

davidmichael

Reality with Rashford is unless he moved to City, Liverpool or Chelsea his brand plummets so he needs United to keep his name and off pitch activities in the limelight.

I’d offer him a 2 or 3 year deal AT THE END of the season so we see where he is form wise instead of now or mid season and watch complacency set in, if he manages 20 goals and 10-15 assists (he’s on 5 goals and 3 assists so far) I’d see that as a good season and worth a new contract.

I think with Martial up top, an in form Shaw behind him and having the Fernandes/Eriksen/Antony link up to add creativity we should see a far better Rashford than we’ve seen the past couple of years and right now you’d have to say he’s out most in form attacker.

I’m selfishly hoping though that Rashford doesn’t go to the World Cup with England so he can be fresh for the second half of the season and he’d be better served at the club than warming the bench for England.

NLunited

He's not had more than five good games in two years but you underestimate the amount of 'real fan' kudos many invest in him because they bought into it fairytale. So he we are.
Whatever, he‘s playing well right now, and by not backing him you are not properly supporting your team right now.

He‘s been a team player, and scoring and assisting. What more do you want?

roseguy64

Okay

Tommy79

RedCafe dont represent the actual fanbase, especially the matchday going crowd.
You mean the match day crowd he confronted last season and told to feck off, that crowd ? As like some have said, we have the year option, why not be smart for once and use it, and if he retains his form and doesn't do his hand waving sulking routine, then sit down next summer and revalue him.

Lecland07

The power isn't really with United.

Even if the club decides to use the extension, which they will, I doubt any club would bother to sign him as they can sign him for free in the summer of 2024. Manutd would have to seriously drop their valuation if they try to sell this summer; the club isn't in a position of strength.

Hope he signs a new contract, but I could actually see him holding off to the end of the season to see where we are. He will have quite a lot of options if he then decides to leave, particularly if he carries on improving this season back to the form from the season before last.

TheReligion

Abusive
The power isn't really with United.

Even if the club decides to use the extension, which they will, I doubt any club would bother to sign him as they can sign him for free in the summer of 2024. Manutd would have to seriously drop their valuation if they try to sell this summer; the club isn't in a position of strength.

Hope he signs a new contract, but I could actually see him holding off to the end of the season to see where we are. He will have quite a lot of options if he then decides to leave, particularly if he carries on improving this season back to the form from the season before last.
I very much doubt he’ll push to move.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Rashford is worth keeping for a couple of years and then making a decision from around 2024/25

He's a player that will contribute enough to keep us in the top 4 regularly. Whether he will contribute enough towards a trophy winning team (and I'm talking Premier League titles here) is another question.

As I said previously on this thread, replacing Rashford would ultimately cost us around 80 million. Even if he brought in that money through a sale, that's still time spent negotiating when there's areas that need strengthening more urgently.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Got to keep him really.

Ronaldo is too old, Sancho is too slow, Martial is too fragile, Anthony seems to be in and out of games (scoring regular though) Shoretire and McNeill.... who knows?

P.S. The guy needs United too, you don't sell so many books if you are a Nottingham Forest player. I predict he will stay at United for life and then become a coach or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.