What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost bear

Pretty confident he’s not going anywhere and Ten Hag likes him

Thank feck the Caf has nothing to do with the club
Tend to agree. Often these reactions (caf) are so extreme, and spoken with the total certainty of ignorance.

I do still love the place, though. The caf’s the caf, for all that.

stw2022

I love the optimism of 'Rashford's suddenly going to become a completely different player and wake up tomorrow brilliant'. But if we want to win things we can't be building anything around his guy. If it happens, great. Bonus. But he loses confidence so quickly. Maybe he'll get sad again. Maybe he'll have an argument with the wife. This isn't the guy to build around by any stretch. And for me his workrate is appalling. You seem him challenge for a header? Disgrace.

If you remove the post code of where he was raised from the equation I don't see what others do in this lad and its been my opinion for the last two years. He has his charity work and is useful in small doses IF you're willing to accept 85% of the time he'll look a Championship player on Glactico wages

No-one is talking about building around him ffs.

We’re debating if he should have his contact extended. Judging on his season so far, my opinion is that if he continues this form to the New Year, it’s a no brainer. He’s already scored/assisted 8 in 8 and has put both Liverpool and Arsenal to the sword.
I won’t judge any player on what happened last season, but if they bring last season’s form into this season (as some have), absolutely. That aint the case with Rashford, Martial, or Dalot though for example.

NewDawnFades

The absolute state of this fan base, wanting rid of the best academy player we’ve had break through in 20 odd years.

Bunch of moany bastards

stw2022

The absolute state of this fan base, wanting rid of the best academy player we’ve had break through in 20 odd years.

Bunch of moany bastards

State of fans where 'hasn't looked quite as shit recently' is grounds for optimism these days

Rashford epitomises the absolute collapse in standards at this club over the last decade. In the past the idolisation of him based on his performances over a prolonged period would have embarrassed us.

Now? Maybe give him £350k a week?

That’s probably he who should not be named but I get your point mind. Think personally it was fine to want to feck off every single player after last season, but we’re 3 months into a new one now with a new system and manager, weird not to take into consideration the players form this year.
I never wanted to see Tony in a United shirt again back in Feb-May, but now he’d be one of the first names on my teamsheet.

State of fans where 'hasn't looked quite as shit recently' is grounds for optimism these days
“Hasn’t looked quite as shit” is obviously bollocks, he’s put Liverpool and Arsenal to the sword and contributed to 8 goals in 8 games.

So fans are actually saying “he’s looking good, dangerous and back in real form this season”, which yeah, of course is fecking grounds for optimism. :houllier:

stw2022

Sorry the standard has ALWAYS been: you're either good enough or your not.

It hasn't ever been: you don't need to be quite as good as long as you're an academy lad as then we'll give you special dispensation.

This is a relatively new phenomenon that's a complete bastardisation of our history and a massive 'feck you' to academy players of the past who led us to glory because they were good enough NOT because we lowered standards to accommodate them as if doing so would have been the 'United way'

It hasn't ever been: you don't need to be quite as good as long as you're an academy lad as then we'll give you special dispensation.

This is a relatively new phenomenon that's a complete bastardisation of our history and a massive 'feck you' to academy players of the past who led us to glory because they were good enough NOT because we lowered standards to accommodate them as if doing so would have been the 'United way'
What the feck are you on about?

I couldn’t give two shits if Rashford came from Marseille or Manchester, same with Tony, but if they start a new season with a new manager and produce, especially against the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, I’m optimistic.

What does “good enough” in this sense even mean. Was Martial good enough last season? feck no, does he look like he may be good enough this season, hell yes.

Which is clearly bollocks, Choccy wasn’t good enough in 89, but was in 1993.
Park was never really “good enough”, nor O’Shea, but both contributed massively.
Rafael had seasons he was good enough, others he wasn’t, same with Nani, same with Fletcher.
No Liverpool fans considered Henderson “good enough” pre-Klopp.
Your point makes zero sense.

All that ever really matters in football is the here and now, and in the 8 games so far this season, has Rashford been good enough to start for us. Absolutely. Has say Sancho? Absolutely not. Has Ronaldo? Absolutely not again.

Last edited:

Boondog

The club just committed itself to Hagball and that is going to be felt from the lowest levels of the academy to the personnel decisions at the top, with everything aligning behind that approach. This includes Rash. So I see the decision tree with him as something along the lines of...

1. Does he fit this system. It is still very early, though I presume the answer to this question is a yes, as he is talented enough to play in any approach.

2. What is his value in the system. This is where a good club will assign a price point and if it isn't enough to make him happy they move on.

Also and btw we have a full season ahead to evaluate his game in this system. So both considerations are going to be affected by how he plays.

Now as to whether the club will actually approach this the right way, they seem to be behind ten Hag. So I would expect him to drive those decisions or at the least ensure the club is making a good decision. This means going forward my expectation is we'll see smarter decision making on players to include handling of this situation because I think ten Hag has a good handle on who can do what in his system.

mshnsh

United need to be ruthless to ne successful. So, if anytime an upgrade on the mediocrity we accommodate is available, we should get rid of the mediocre footballer. In this case i'd say give him a short contract as we look for better players in his position.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

What is "good enough" in your definition? Rashford has 20+ goals from a wide position in two of the last three seasons.

The only players who could guarantee you better than this (and there really aren't that many) both don't play for us and would be near impossible for us to sign. So you are either living a fantasy or want us to get rid of him to replace him with someone most likely worse.

I can easily get people wanting him (and frankly most of the squad) gone after last season, but he's still here and is currently our most effective forward player...and we aren't going to suddenly sign 6 new ones. I'm not sure how we improve by just suddenly selling our better players.

You'd think being shite for 6-7 years would bring a bit of realism to our fans but here we have people saying we should sell someone because they're not David Beckham or something (for the record Beckham had only been in our first team for 4 years at Rashford's age and his goals/assists ratio wasn't as good as Rashfords is either...amd no im not saying Rashford's better than him just pointing out what an idiotic argument that is).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We had no players who looked awful for 12-24 months starting regularly that everyone was fine with because 'maybe he's fallen out of love with football'

He's in his 7th season as a regular member of the starting XI. David Beckham only had 8 seasons with us as a regular first XI player. The level Rashford should be at vs the level he is at are two different things.

25 this month and still there's zero expectation when he plays. At some point some people will stop having the nerve to pretend that isn't an issue.
:o

noodlehair

"It's like..."
United need to be ruthless to ne successful. So, if anytime an upgrade on the mediocrity we accommodate is available, we should get rid of the mediocre footballer. In this case i'd say give him a short contract as we look for better players in his position.
I mean this doesn't make sense either. Firstly even taking last season into account he's our most reliable goalscorer over recent seasons. Ronaldo is the only other player we have who could be argued to be more reliable in that sense and he a) is 38 and b) desperately wants to leave the club.

Secondly, what actual benefit is there to giving him, or any player not near retirement age, a short contract? You are allowed to sell or offload players on longer contracts, the only thing a short one does is lessen their value and give the club next to zero control over whether the player stays or not...which is a bit of problem if the player starts playing shite and a fecking massive problem if they play well amd suddenly become more important

Mr PG

Would be madness to get rid of Rashford at this point. Good forwards are very hard to find and Rashford has never had good coaching and creative midfielders behind him. Now Both he and Martial are on fire...coincidence?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
2 goals at the weekend and he’s on 100 for us at 24/5, he’s starting to get back to the goal scoring level he was at 2 seasons ago and at the moment he’s the best LW at the club, as a striker he’s a good stop gap but he belongs on the wing.

Threesus

Would be madness to get rid of Rashford at this point. Good forwards are very hard to find and Rashford has never had good coaching and creative midfielders behind him. Now Both he and Martial are on fire...coincidence?
He has been playing with Bruno since 2020, who is one of the best creators in the world.
I think if you are good, you should be able to show that, even in less than ideal situations.

He has been playing with Bruno since 2020, who is one of the best creators in the world.
I think if you are good, you should be able to show that, even in less than ideal situations.
And he scored/assisted 20 in 37 league games in 2020-21.
In Bruno’s first half season Rashford scored/assisted 24 in 31 league games.

So he has done exactly what you’re asking.

He, like many others did have a dog turd season last year mind, but unless you’re planning on selling 22 players, you are going to have to concentrate on what players are doing currently under a new system and management.

mshnsh

I mean this doesn't make sense either. Firstly even taking last season into account he's our most reliable goalscorer over recent seasons. Ronaldo is the only other player we have who could be argued to be more reliable in that sense and he a) is 38 and b) desperately wants to leave the club.

Secondly, what actual benefit is there to giving him, or any player not near retirement age, a short contract? You are allowed to sell or offload players on longer contracts, the only thing a short one does is lessen their value and give the club next to zero control over whether the player stays or not...which is a bit of problem if the player starts playing shite and a fecking massive problem if they play well amd suddenly become more important
While Rashford can sometimes give good performances, he is not good enough to help take United up another level. By a short contract, i actually meant a medium duration one like a 3 year deal. Reason being we can reassess and if there is an upgrade available, we sell Rashford if there is a good offer or if he doesn't want to leave, we let him go once his contract is over. In all probability, no big clubs want him and honestly I don't expect big offers for him.

If the club want to be successful, it needs to be ruthless. Sentiments need ho be pushed aside

led_scholes

Even if he scores 40 goals this season, he should be sold. A player who went AWOL for 18 months should not be at the club.

We need to change the culture of the club, which Rashford, Shaw and Co epitomize: play well one year, get a new contract and then stop trying. These players are mentally weak and won't lift the team when in need. They may perform well when everything is going good, but when the first problem occurs they hide behind the English media's bias.

And talent wise, he is not even close to the best players in the world to justify his current wages or a raise. Quite frankly, I find it absurd that people want to renew him after a purple patch.

The main issue is that our decision makers are weak and short-sighted and will probably offer him anew contract.

Drizzle

Even if he scores 40 goals this season, he should be sold.
Interesting take. He'd be by far the highest goalscorer in the modern era, local hero, still young. We're already short on forwards. But you'd sack all that off to make a point about a bad couple of seasons. OK.

led_scholes

Interesting take. He'd be by far the highest goalscorer in the modern era, local hero, still young. We're already short on forwards. But you'd sack all that off to make a point about a bad couple of seasons. OK.
A) obviously a hyperbole, because he will never score that many goals. He scored 45 goals in the last 3 seasons.

B) we sold our highest goalscorer in 2006, and we became a better team.

C) you have missed my point that the problem with our club is the rotten culture that Rashford embraces.

D) you don't keep an average player on one of the highest contracts in the world, just because we are "short of forwards".

stw2022

A) obviously a hyperbole, because he will never score that many goals. He scored 45 goals in the last 3 seasons.

B) we sold our highest goalscorer in 2006, and we became a better team.

C) you have missed my point that the problem with our club is the rotten culture that Rashford embraces.

D) you don't keep an average player on one of the highest contracts in the world, just because we are "short of forwards".

Absolutely on all counts. It isn't that he isn't good enough to be a squad player. He is. He downed tools for so long and took the piss out of fans for about two years. The postcode of his birth is the only reason he got away with that and I don't think that's acceptable.

Worse is the argument that maybe he had good reason to walk around pitch for two years sulking.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

has been good enough this season

wasnt good enough in other seasons under a manager the fans of the forum say shouldnt even get a league 1 job

as long as he is doing well we can keep it

take your emotions / hatrid out of it

roseguy64

Way too much arguing with emotion. Selling a player who scored 40 goals and played with passion this season because the previous season he downed tools which was an anomaly from his previous 4 or 5 years.

But okay.

Rojofiam

Rashford avg. G/A in 5 seasons between 2016/2021 across all competitions: 26.6

Mané avg. G/A in 5 seasons between 2016/2022: 28.8

I excluded the 20/21 season for the latter, just like I did last season for Rashford, and his first one too, since he debuted in February.

Son avg. G/A last 6 seasons: 32

I think Rashford is really underrated by almost everyone, and he can be a really important player for us. He can probably produce Mané / Son numbers in a better system, in a better team. He's one of the best wingers in the PL who's had to play in struggling teams under so many different managers so far. Put him in City / current Arsenal / Liverpool and he'd suddenly be rated by everyone.

This is true for a lot of our players, btw. That's why we don't need to change the whole team, just get 5-6 (maybe 7-8) more players, get rid of the remaining deadwood and we'll be cooking

mikeyt

Too many knee jerk reactions, give the one year extension after the WC and then look to sell in the summer. He isn't the answer and we have better options unless he's willing to be a squad player and be paid like one.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Too many knee jerk reactions, give the one year extension after the WC and then look to sell in the summer. He isn't the answer and we have better options unless he's willing to be a squad player and be paid like one.
He's a nailed on starter at the moment surely?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
On top form, he is one of our better players. The question was more his attitude and fitness but for now, it seems he gave the answer

studs

Well, the voting did end in mid August.
It doesn't matter that the poll has ended, it still tells a story and if it were held all over again it wouldn't be much different from what it is now. He's showing the world who Rashford is.

Status
Not open for further replies.