Rashford, our most exciting youth product since Ryan Giggs?

MounchesterUtd

Better than Giggs, better than Rooney, This lad has potential to be the best on the planet.
Was too young to see young Giggs but people always say he never really lived up to his potential as the next George Best.

As for Rooney, not a contest. He was touted as the next Gascoigne or Di Stefano.

2 vs Midgetland
2 vs Arsenal
Winner vs City
First goal vs West Ham
Winner vs Villa
(Fairly unimportant goal vs Bournemouth)

Winner v Hull
Big game player. Was also my MOTM during the FA Cup Final until he had to be taken off.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Was too young to see young Giggs but people always say he never really lived up to his potential as the next George Best.

As for Rooney, not a contest. He was touted as the next Gascoigne or Di Stefano.

Big game player. Was also my MOTM during the FA Cup Final until he had to be taken off.
I think imo because rashford is an academy product while rooney is world record purchase for an 18 years old hence fans are more excited with rashford.

Both are superb on their debute though, but you just have that extra excitement seeing home grown academy delivering that kinds of performance.

Fingers crossed i hope rashford is more than just a one season story. I started to like this guy.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think imo because rashford is an academy product while rooney is world record purchase for an 18 years old hence fans are more excited with rashford.

Both are superb on their debute though, but you just have that extra excitement seeing home grown academy delivering that kinds of performance.

Fingers crossed i hope rashford is more than just a one season story. I started to like this guy.
The hype Rooney generated was way more to be honest. Even people that new nothing about football were asking who this knew Rooney kid is.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rashford is a similar talent to Welbeck in my opinion. Good but not the top quality like Ibrahimivic or a younger Rooney had.
Still much better than Welbeck. But I agree not as good as Rooney.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The hype Rooney generated was way more to be honest. Even people that new nothing about football were asking who this knew Rooney kid is.
Yup. Very excitinf times back then. An 18 years old rooney is a few level above rashford.

Rashford is exciting, direct pace and raw talent but rooney is another monster. His confident and cocky aura and always asking for the ball and all that. One of the most exciting signing, kinda like signing pogba this year.

Even ronaldo failed to get the same hype

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

Giggs was phenomenal as a youngster. Probably the most exciting youngster in the world, easily in the league.
Rooney the same. I don't think Rashford is on that level because they couldn't be left out.

Steven7290

Better than Giggs, better than Rooney, This lad has potential to be the best on the planet.
The highest praise I can give him is that everytime he has the ball I expect something good to happen for us. I cannot get enough of him.
I know it sounds over the top now but can he be a Ronaldo Lima type of forward? He does not and may never have the technical brilliance of Ronaldo but he does remind me of him every time he runs at defenders.

The United

Idk if rushford is the most exciting or talented since giggs.

But, for sure he has becoming a match winner for us often which is better than anything else.

nick2004

Pogba.

Januzaj (people were comparing him to CR7)

And many many many other players in the past (the new Becks, the new Scholes, etc). Eagles, Fletcher, Richardson etc had their followers at some point in the past. Too many to remember them all.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Pogba.

Januzaj (people were comparing him to CR7)

And many many many other players in the past (the new Becks, the new Scholes, etc). Eagles, Fletcher, Richardson etc had their followers at some point in the past. Too many to remember them all.
Apparently fletcher was good enough that fergie wanted to give him his debut at 16 before he had an injury, correct?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yes that's correct. At that point he was "the new Becks".
Surely more of a new keane, considering he was more box to box than a winger (even at that time when he played on the right, he wasn't a winger clearly) unless he genuinely was similar to becks at 16?

nick2004

Surely more of a new keane, considering he was more box to box than a winger (even at that time when he played on the right, he wasn't a winger clearly) unless he genuinely was similar to becks at 16?
That happened after he got injured and lost his speed. The first time I heard of him, he was "the new Becks".

1: Scholes
2: Beckham
3: Rashford
4: Neville
5: Pogba
6: Fletcher
7: Butt
8: Neville
9: Brown
10: Drinkwater
11: Januzaj
I can't think of any others that have impressed me that much.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I know it sounds over the top now but can he be a Ronaldo Lima type of forward? He does not and may never have the technical brilliance of Ronaldo but he does remind me of him every time he runs at defenders.
I've said it before and seem to be the only one who thinks it but I get Tevez/Suarez vibes about his style of play, but I can see the similarities to Ronaldo as well. In the end, though, he'll be his very own player.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Billy Blaggs

Not impressed. Attitude is the main aspect of a player's makeup. Severely he lacks the most important attribute.

Yes, since Giggs. Otherwise my list would be alot longer. I may have forgotten someone though.
Was Scholes that highly rated? Not what they became. But what the youth thought would happen. I thought there were doubts. I thought Butt was higher as he was touted as the next Robson.

Billy Blaggs

Someone will probably correct me. But I don't think anyone was near Giggs level at youth. It was even said if he didn't make it they might as well have shut up shop. I don't remember that being said before or after that in that time frame

Billy Blaggs

A bit before that United were utter shit at scouting. Another feather in the DDon's cap because he remade the scouting network. I think he made it 3 times as big because city weregobbling up the local talent

Billy Blaggs

You maybe right. I'm only opining on what they became.
Edit: I forgot Lingard, he can go in at #6.
I can't remember. I know Giggs was just in a different class. Even looking at what Ferguson said to the Arsenal manager. "what happened to the wonder boy Wilson? Oh he changed his name to his mother's name Giggs" "no" "Yeah he did" I don't think there's ever been that much of a hard on for any Young player since him.

Scholes came on in stages. Giggs was a genius from the time he put on his boots

I can't remember. I know Giggs was just in a different class. Even looking at what Ferguson said to the Arsenal manager. "what happened to the wonder boy Wilson? Oh he changed his name to his mother's name Giggs" "no" "Yeah he did" I don't think there's ever been that much of a hard on for any Young player since him.

Scholes came on in stages. Giggs was a genius from the time he put on his boots
I'm not arguing with you. The whole team looked to grow another leg the moment Giggs stepped in, and that's when he was 17. He was unbelievable.

Billy Blaggs

I'm not arguing with you. The whole team looked to grow another leg the moment Giggs stepped in, and that's when he was 17. He was unbelievable.
He was. At 19 he was the best player on the planet. I don't buy into be was never the best. He was a genius. He said he couldn't do a full on sprint and that because of the clutch in his sports car .

I'm not arguing either . I think Scholes gets much love and I think Giggs gets put down a little. There is literally nothing between them. If you gave me a match at school I'd take Ryan and probably regret it because.. Well Scholes. And flip flop and and regret for the opposite.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Andy Ritchie was incredibly exciting in the late 1970's and many United fans still question why Dave Sexton bought Joe Jordan but especially when he sold him to buy Garry Birtles.

And of course Norman Whiteside was sensational.

However, Giggs was a different class and I've not seen anyone come close to his talent or impact since the late 1980's...

Nicky Butt was the exciting prospect from 1992 while all the others were late developers and surprised many with their eventual development.

Welbeck was class all through his youth development and streets ahead of Rashford at a younger age...Rashford has since translated that into a potentially brilliant first team player...Danny failed to do that for whatever reason.

Morrison was the standout since Giggs...but obviously his personal problems didn't allow him to show it at the top level and Pogba has gone on to do that.

Finally, although Januzaj made a big impact in his first senior season...he wasn't destroying defences in junior matches like some on here are suggesting...he was often in and out of games...very inconsistent.

What it goes to show is that it's really hard to predict what will happen and translating youth form and potential into senior football over a long period is tough.

Whiteside and Giggs the only real certs from my time watching youth football...

Last edited: