2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure what's with all the player comparisons. The original point and only one I'm trying to tell you otherwise is you said Hojlund would be more of a poacher type hanging around centre backs. I'm saying he's an all rounder and what's he shown so far doesn't suggest he won't score 'more WH type goals'.

Ruud was a predominantly final third striker, who wasn't really as interested in possession and getting touches around the half line or deeper.
RVP had barely started his career as a winger at Hojlund's age.

Berbatov was a playmaker, who probably spent more time outside the box than in it.
Ruud was involved but more in the way Hojlund was in my opinion, he could always link play and had nice touches for one twos etc. The point of comparisons is because there are many many types of striker.

I guess we will see who is right come end of season with regards to the type of goals he scores. Hopefully he’s smashing them in form everywhere.

KeanosMagic

Jackson is a year older, has similar goalscoring ratio as Hojlund (Jackson 0.36, Hojlund 0.357) this year so far, with less all round play
I would say if Jackson costs 35M, I wouldn't say Hojlund costing 60M being unreasonable.
For what I’ve seen of both players this season, there won’t even be a comparison between them in 2 years time. So I agree that it’s no surprise we paid a lot more for Rasmus, we got a far better player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Jackson looks as average as it gets in fairness, would have been a much bigger waste of money.
Will be a backup striker next season I’ll bet.

The main thing was that Højlund wasn’t available at 35m, PSG were prepared to spend 50m on him. I think in a couple of years we’ll laugh at the idea buying Jackson instead would’ve been anything but a daft idea.
Jackson is also a player in his first season in the PL but seems your opinion about having a tough first season does not apply to him.

His all round game actually looks good but he needs to work on his finishing. Still looks likely to get double figure PL goals in his first season too.

I think Hojlund will be better long term but you have shown yourself with that comment

Cassidy

Jackson is a year older, has similar goalscoring ratio as Hojlund (Jackson 0.36, Hojlund 0.357) this year so far, with less all round play
I would say if Jackson costs 35M, I wouldn't say Hojlund costing 60M being unreasonable.
Jacksons all round play is far better at the moment. His flaw is his finishing

Red00012

Why do certain posters get so butt hurt about his fee ? Granted we over paid for him a little but he’s just turned 21 and looks like a great prospect. We’ve done far far worse with transfer funds than Hojlund .

massey

Why do certain posters get so butt hurt about his fee ? Granted we over paid for him a little but he’s just turned 21 and looks like a great prospect. We’ve done far far worse with transfer funds than Hojlund .
If he progresses like he has been give it a year or 2 and people will be seeing his worth if we never signed him someone else would have and we'd all be crying why we never paid the money.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Our history with failed transfers has led to fans scrutinising every penny on new talent. In many ways it is an understandable reaction.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Always fun to see the extent our fans will go to in order to put down our own players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’d have to check, but my guess is that there is a spill over with fans who are desperate for ETH to get sacked and opinions in this thread.

That aside I think any reasonable opinion would be that he looks a genuine talent. Will be great to watch him develop. There’s nothing better than watching a group of young talented players as they develop. The next few years could be up and down a bit like 03-05, but if these players fulfill their potential and we make some good signings we could be back where we should be.

Just to trigger some of the posters here…I’d keep ETH too. He’s got a mismatch of four managers players and only one CB that can play the way he wants.

Rojofiam

Jackson is also a player in his first season in the PL but seems your opinion about having a tough first season does not apply to him.

His all round game actually looks good but he needs to work on his finishing. Still looks likely to get double figure PL goals in his first season too.

I think Hojlund will be better long term but you have shown yourself with that comment
Not really, it's clear that Hojlund is way better with a way higher ceiling as well

Cassidy

Not really, it's clear that Hojlund is way better with a way higher ceiling as well
No its not Jackson looks like a very good player all round. Hojlund looks like the much better finisher

I think Hojlund has a higher ceiling but I dont think its that clear cut. Jackson is being underrated on here

Doracle

I haven’t seen that, so far. Jackson has been better in terms of all-round play. Hojlund is clearly the better finisher. Possibly it will be easier for Hojlund to improve his weaker areas, and he’s younger as well, but currently they look fairly similar talents.

Schmeichels pinky

Been reading this thread from the start because I’m very interested in how Højlund develops. I’ve followed him since Sturm Graz and must say, contrary to what some in here think, that he was just about as good at the start of the season as he is now - his potential has been obvious since Switzerland and his rapid development there and in Italy.

When he came here he had already shown his skills, but he got even better nearly instantly with the step up. Remember the first game v Arsenal - how he was quite the handful for Saliba and should have had a penalty. Remember his two or three cancelled goals - the finishing and composure he showed. Remember how he contributed to the overall play from the beginning - the defense splitting passes for Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno, the many times he held the ball and laid it off with an opponent on his back, the elegant back heel or the turn on and outrunning of Van der Veen.

I’ve followed his every move here and found a handful or two situations where he should have done better - and just two or three chances he should have put away, though the header in the FA Cup game was the only one that was a clear cut chance. People have talked about his runs, but he’s done what he’s supposed to from the start - occupied two defenders to make room for his teammates while trying to get rid of them at the same time. And he’s done it very well. That said, none of us knows what goes on in training and how ETH wants the forwards to run in relation to each other, which makes it hard to judge for example whether it’s him not running too soon/late or Garnacho/Bruno playing him too soon/late. What’s evident is that until recently he’s not been played most of the times he was free.

In conclusion, Højlund has shown that he is the real deal all season, though admittedly it seemed like he got a bit insecure about his runs during the fall - because he wasn’t played. He’s gotten more used to the prem, but he isn’t playing much better than in august - the difference is that the rest of the team play better know. He will continue to shine if the team keeps playing well and he will go on to become one of the very best forwards of his generation, unless injuries prevent it. We have a gem on our hands, and it’s not even that rough.

Reactions: Jippy

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
@WeePat @duffer and any other Chelsea fan thoughts?
I rate Hojlund higher but Jackson is definitely a very underrated player. They’re different players though. Hojlund’s finishing is far superior but Jackson is better at other things like link up play and ball carrying.

Weirdly I think Jackson and Hojlund would compliment each other well as partners.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’d be amazed if Jackson is leading the line for Chelsea over the next few years myself. A decent stop gap squad player for the money but you’ll be upgrading once you get the other club issues sorted out.
To be fair that probably speaks to Chelsea’s impatience with young and developing players more than Jackson himself.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Been reading this thread from the start because I’m very interested in how Højlund develops. I’ve followed him since Sturm Graz and must say, contrary to what some in here think, that he was just about as good at the start of the season as he is now - his potential has been obvious since Switzerland and his rapid development there and in Italy.

When he came here he had already shown his skills, but he got even better nearly instantly with the step up. Remember the first game v Arsenal - how he was quite the handful for Saliba and should have had a penalty. Remember his two or three cancelled goals - the finishing and composure he showed. Remember how he contributed to the overall play from the beginning - the defense splitting passes for Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno, the many times he held the ball and laid it off with an opponent on his back, the elegant back heel or the turn on and outrunning of Van der Veen.

I’ve followed his every move here and found a handful or two situations where he should have done better - and just two or three chances he should have put away, though the header in the FA Cup game was the only one that was a clear cut chance. People have talked about his runs, but he’s done what he’s supposed to from the start - occupied two defenders to make room for his teammates while trying to get rid of them at the same time. And he’s done it very well. That said, none of us knows what goes on in training and how ETH wants the forwards to run in relation to each other, which makes it hard to judge for example whether it’s him not running too soon/late or Garnacho/Bruno playing him too soon/late. What’s evident is that until recently he’s not been played most of the times he was free.

In conclusion, Højlund has shown that he is the real deal all season, though admittedly it seemed like he got a bit insecure about his runs during the fall - because he wasn’t played. He’s gotten more used to the prem, but he isn’t playing much better than in august - the difference is that the rest of the team play better know. He will continue to shine if the team keeps playing well and he will go on to become one of the very best forwards of his generation, unless injuries prevent it. We have a gem on our hands, and it’s not even that rough.
Well said. Great post and totally agree. He’s been very good even aside from the recent goals.

criticalanalysis

I rate Hojlund higher but Jackson is definitely a very underrated player. They’re different players though. Hojlund’s finishing is far superior but Jackson is better at other things like link up play and ball carrying.

Weirdly I think Jackson and Hojlund would compliment each other well as partners.
Thanks, I don't really watch Chelsea games but when I do, it seems most of his best work is outside the box.

Toca99

I'll just make a litte prayer for his goalscoring strike will continue.
A long time since a felt so much for a single player...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hopefully his good form continues, he needed this. Well done lad!

L1nk

Took his chance well, general play was good. Lost any semblance of place in the game when Villa were battering us and we had zero control so not much he can do about that

criticalanalysis

Another good goal and another game with minimal service. Everytime the ball went into him, he played it back to the correct players at the correct times into the correct areas but once again never got it back.

Superunknown

Exactly the type of goal I'd like to see him score more of. Lurking in the box, waiting for the ball to make its way to his feet either by a pass, or a header, or a ricochet or something. Then, just tucking it away. Now he should just be focusing on building that tally up.

Well done to him. Glad he's getting onto the scoresheet more often.

Mike Smalling

Didn't get a lot to work with today, but got his goal.

Commentators said he is now the second youngest player to score in five games in a row in the Premier League. The youngest being Anelka.

Tony247

Completely isolated at times. Not acceptable. Usually team should create about 5-6 opportunity for CF to shoot.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Showing more and more that he's a complete CF with elite potential. Such a rare profile of player but a necessity for top teams

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"Only 5 goals"

He brings so much more than just goals, his pace and work rate creates lot of space, him, Garnacho, Rashford are clicking well. They are threat with their direct attacking runs.

laughtersassassin

Don't think anyone can really have any complaints about Hojlund and his progress so far.

Playing well scoring goals and grabbing a few Assists.

Obviously wasn't much he could do today some we had no control as a team but he didn't well when we got him involved and helped us grab the result.

His finishing seems very good just need to keep getting him more chances