g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

FFP is a paper tiger, as City and Chelsea have proven. But there is a great deal to be said for fiscal prudence. Yet at the same time IF we have already brought in Hojlund and Amrabat and IF Kane were available for 100m on September 1, we would be out of our flucking minds to refuse the deal.
FFP has changed for this season and will be changing further next season so what City and Chelsea have historically done won't be an option going forward, note how quickly the 8 year contract loophole got closed once Boehly found it. Our FFP issue is genuine in that we massively overspent last summer in a year without CL football, the Antony deal was essentially borrowing from future spending. We need to get our business done at around 100M net this year to get out of FFP jail for next summer. Of course if we could get Kane for 100M on September 1st we would do it but it is just kicking the can down the road at that point and it would probably be done on the proviso that we are going to spend the 2024 transfer window signing free agents and loan deals to balance the books.

jamesjimmybyrondean

As i said; IF we tried it and Levy slapped some crazy over 100 mil fee for him then fine, lets go for Hojlund. But if we gave up without really pushing then i think it is mistake.
I think we’ve already pushed for him though. Before we went for Hojlund it was reported we’ve given up on Kane because Levy is not open to selling to us. If I recall correctly

ChenHoNam

The more videos I see from him the less convinced I am. Its logical he has flaws as he's young but I'm not seeing the hype nor numbers to grant a 70M move for him. I know strikers are scarce right now but I feel bringing him for that fee will inevitable end up in failure.
If he ends up on similar trajectory path like fellow Danish Jon Dahl Tomasson, can he be considered a success despite the steep fee ?

zaafi

The more videos I see from him the less convinced I am. Its logical he has flaws as he's young but I'm not seeing the hype nor numbers to grant a 70M move for him. I know strikers are scarce right now but I feel bringing him for that fee will inevitable end up in failure.
You would say exactly the same about a 20 year old Lewandowski or Cavani. You have to be extremely naturally talented to be that convincing as a young striker (Agüero, Ronaldo or Benzema).

Luckily, what or who we are convinced of or not is entirely irrelevant.

MUFC OK

I agree based on the “all touches” videos I’ve seen of him - which without having watched full games of Atalanta is the best available info to form a judgement. I think nearly 70m on his is borderline farcical and a huge risk that I’m not sure we should take.

Rolaholic

What does it matter how much P$G offer if he won't sign a contract with them with us in the race?

Not arsed at all about their supposed interest

MUFC OK

The Juventus video posted above is a weird one to use as bad performance, even if it was included as one of many.

That being said, if I remember correctly, at least from the videos available on Youtube, that is the best he has done against top opposition.
How many times? It’s a thread of videos - that means there are several performances linked below if you go to the video on Twitter. The Juve performance was one of his better ones.

Abraxas

FFP is a paper tiger, as City and Chelsea have proven. But there is a great deal to be said for fiscal prudence. Yet at the same time IF we have already brought in Hojlund and Amrabat and IF Kane were available for 100m on September 1, we would be out of our flucking minds to refuse the deal.
Well, it's your prerogative to hold onto whatever hope you want. If Mbappe was still hanging around and PSG wanted rid of him for 100 million on September 1 we'd be mad to refuse that. If Barca made Frenkie de Jong homeless we'd be mad not to offer him a contract.

None of this is remotely realistic though. They don't wanna sell to us, they're not suddenly going to panic on the last day. Why would they, they've had all summer to make up their choice and assess the options. Whether we think their decisions are good or bad, it's irrelevant, they are what they are. And that's why we're moving forward with plans that are actually going to happen while some fans simply can't get over the fact Kane isn't coming here this year.

It's not all bad though. If Spurs don't sell then a player of Hojlunds profile will not prevent us offering a competitive package to Kane for free.

zaafi

I agree based on the “all touches” videos I’ve seen of him - which without having watched full games of Atalanta is the best available info to form a judgement. I think nearly 70m on his is borderline farcical and a huge risk that I’m not sure we should take.
So what do you think we should do?

Crimson King

I was talking about euros because everything what we know about their prices are rumours so those are not their precise prices. We "know" (according to rumours) that we offered 60+10 mil euros for Hojlund and that Bayern offered 80 mil euros for Kane so far.
Spurs will want more than €100m from us though, probably from Bayern too. They're thinking in pounds.

SAFMUTD

You would say exactly the same about a 20 year old Lewandowski or Cavani. You have to be extremely naturally talented to be that convincing as a young striker (Agüero, Ronaldo or Benzema).

Luckily, what or who we are convinced of or not is entirely irrelevant.
Exactly but neither Lewandowski nor Cavani moved for such high fees at that age. For every Lewandowski and Cavani there are 20 strikers that didnt made it big.

MUFC OK

So what do you think we should do?
Kane appears to be a non-starter but also think Ramos is more ready to step in and do the job as starting number 9. Almost inevitable Hojlund will be starting every week - it’s almost unfair on him. Look at how Nunez faired last season and he was far more ready on paper than Hojlund is.

Djemba-Djemba

Doesn't look that strong to me, certainly doesn't hold up the ball as well as Wout. He needs space to run into, and in that video it looks like Bremer can keep up with him.
That implies you think he was good at it but Weghorst was shite at holding the ball up.

He was shite at everything.

zaafi

Exactly but neither Lewandowski nor Cavani moved for such high fees at that age. For every Lewandowski and Cavani there are 20 strikers that didnt made it big.
That's because it was 14-16 years ago and the market is completely different now. Not only that, but there's an extreme lack of high rated young strikers these days.

I do agree it's a risk, but I'd rather pay £60m for someone who has more potential than £40m for someone who won't ever be good enough.

MUFC OK

Not sure what Lewa, Cavani not being complete at 20 has to do with Hojlund. It’s like saying because they turned out great despite this, that Hojlund will do too. Weird logic.

Then says that luckily we are signing him anyway so it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. Let’s just shut down the discussion boards then shall we? :lol:

Crimson King

All reliable reports suggest he only wants to come to United.
I think he definitely does, but PSG are supposedly offering a deal that Atalanta prefer. Apparently they might be willing to include Ekitike, although Atalanta are about to sign that Toure fella so that offer might have lost its allure.

Either way, PSG are willing to throw more money at both the player and the club. If he hadn't made it so clear that he's not interested in PSG then we probably would have pulled out by now, no point in getting into a bidding war with them. It's probably driving the price up a bit though, and is making any kind of compromise take longer than it would have.

Bit annoying to be honest, if PSG weren't involved I feel like this one would be a lot closer to getting a positive outcome. Might even have signed by now.

CG1010

From
Watch all performances in the thread. They are linked below the Juve tweet.
Some of these performances are quite good. If Martial had the kind of presence up top then people here be having an orgasm. I can definitely see the potential.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
5 times? Hojlund will cost around 70 mil and Kane would cost around 100 mil. How is it 5 times more? Even if you include wage?

Kane is world class striker about we know every single thing and Hojlund is only big potential. At this moment we don't even know what are Hojlund's strengths. Is he quick or not? Is he good in finishing? In passing? In holding the ball?

I don't mind signing Hojlund but we should sign him only if Kane or Osimhen are 100% out of reach. Osimhen is i guess because of his fee but for Kane i am not so sure. That excuse "Levy will never sell Kane to us" is a BS.
Completely agree.

The sweeping hype and lack of normal logic with this one is a feeling almost reminiscent of Brexit.

And like with Brexit I’m just left hoping that all those who are in favour of it are proven right and can see something that I can’t!

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Not sure what Lewa, Cavani not being complete at 20 has to do with Hojlund. It’s like saying because they turned out great despite this, that Hojlund will do too. Weird logic.

Then says that luckily we are signing him anyway so it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. Let’s just shut down the discussion boards then shall we? :lol:
Exactly, ending an argument saying "it doesnt matter what you think it makes no difference" should be banned here, after all this is a forum to discuss about the club. We all know beforehand whats discussed here makes absolutely no difference.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
i sorted of expected a press release from Utd like this, just to kick Levy's chair from under him. Take that Daniel for trying to use Utd to get more out of Bayern, although i see the usual 'madrid are interested' is now dropped in.
This was one month ago. Things changed meanwhile.

Crimson King

Completely agree.

The sweeping hype and lack of any kind of logic with this one is almost reminiscent of Brexit.

And like with Brexit I’m just just hoping that all those who are in favour of it are proven right and can see something that I can’t!
Imagine bringing Brexit into this :lol:

Foolsgold21

I initially thought he looked a decent prospect - but as this has dragged on a bit, suddenly he feels like the second coming.

I like that we aren't just seemingly bowing to clubs demands though. Hope we get it done this week for ~ £55m so we can get another defensive midfielder in.

SAFMUTD

That's because it was 14-16 years ago and the market is completely different now. Not only that, but there's an extreme lack of high rated young strikers these days.

I do agree it's a risk, but I'd rather pay £60m for someone who has more potential than £40m for someone who won't ever be good enough.
I agree with your statement but the market is that way because clubs are making it that way. It doesnt mean it'll be like that forever, we can move on to another striker or get another (I know were tired of that) step gap striker. Im all in for signing potential and paying big bucks when we see it. We did it with Rooney and it paid off, but that doesnt mean we should be paying for any youngster. If I saw top potential in Hojlund I wouldnt hesitate to pay the 70M its just that Im not convinced. I think it's another Antony situation.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So you’re implying that any striker that costs 40m or less is not good enough. Dortmund signed Haaland for 20m, City signed Alvarez for 14m, Frankfurt got Kolo Muni for free, Chelsea just got Jackson for 35m(who’s looking good for now) even Hojlund cost Atalanta 12m. This is proof that you don’t need to splash ridiculous amounts to get good players like you are suggesting

Status
Not open for further replies.