Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynne

This is actually very interesting for the system. And with a bit of fine tuning I think he's got the ability to be a great focal point at centre forward where he will receive passes in dangerous zones and bring others into play.

And that is a skill that the likes of Kolo-Muani and Osimhen haven't demonstrated, with both players being better at running in behind rather what I feel ten Hag is looking for in a centre forward, where holding the ball up and bringing others into play as well as pinning the opposing centre back is a requirement. And on top of that, Hojlund is also someone who is good at running in behind the back line.

So if we can play out of a press comfortably and have a focal point who can receive passes under pressure with his back to goal and bring others into play, that will make a difference in possession. And Hojlund's intensity off the ball can also be channeled into pressing intelligently within coordination with the rest of the team.

He's still a young lad and I really hope he improves his aerial ability which has the potential to make him even more dangerous as a centre forward. But as far as profile goes he's got the attributes to develop into a very good striker that will score goals and help the team as a whole score more goals and play higher up the pitch.

He's a much better version of the donkey that is Weghorst.

Add in Onana's ability to fire balls straight into a target man's feet high up the pitch in threatening areas and you have a recipe for a United team's flexibility to bypass the high press either by long balls or build up play from the back.

2 signings has given Ten Hag some added flexibility in build up play.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Or is it? Maybe I was one of those who never wanted Smalling to leave in the first place, and this was a chance for all the ingrates to finally show him some respect...
I don't know if you're joking or not but I'm with you on that. I always thought they let him go too easily.

croadyman

I think everyone is excited to see him and recognizes he has big potential (very dumb to think otherwise), but just reservations about the cost which is understandable. I'm more along the lines of he's a perfect fit and there wasn't a perfect fit striker out there, so if we have to pay up then so be it. Hope he hits his ceiling, because he has all the tools to be one of the very best.
Yeah I have reservations but at the same time still exciting to see what we can bring to us

Waynne

why the hell are they comparing hm to Halaand? Sad to say, but pretty much no one comapares/will compare to Halaand. The closest you might get is if you mix a young Zlatan with Kane of RvN!
yeah but its not yet official and already the comparions have begun. That's what's so crazy about it. I'd rather just focus on what the player can bring to the United team. Comparing him to Halaand that's already settled in that City team is madness. Maybe comparing him after a full season at United makes more sense.

mu4c_20le

I don't know if you're joking or not but I'm with you on that. I always thought they let him go too easily.
Post history should back me up....never wanted us to overpay for Maguire and would rather keep him, got laughed out of the room

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nice one mate. Looking forward to how he develops.

How do you manage to get the rights to use the footage when channels like Tifo have to use screenshots?
I have to keep re-editing and re-uploading until I get enough clips which are not censored. Takes the mick and have to also crop it etc etc. Avoid UCL/Euros/WC footage and from certain leagues.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Post history should back me up....never wanted us to overpay for Maguire and would rather keep him, got laughed out of the room
Yep, they made a real mess of it. And not just Maguire. Lindelof turned out to be average and Bailly has seen the hospital more than he's seen the pitch. It's crazy that Chris Smalling at 33 is arguably more succesful right now than those 3 guys.

Giggsyking

A quick question. Is Hojlund's cost going to be calculated in his first year or he will be considered an addition to the academy and only his salary will be calculated?

Conor

The potential upside to him is huge, and he's a Utd fan, from a cold country, so isn't as likely to piss off if he does come good.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a much better version of the donkey that is Weghorst.

Add in Onana's ability to fire balls straight into a target man's feet high up the pitch in threatening areas and you have a recipe for a United team's flexibility to bypass the high press either by long balls or build up play from the back.

2 signings has given Ten Hag some added flexibility in build up play.
Unlike at Inter, I feel we'll look to play higher up the pitch via a higher defensive line. And if we're able to play like that it's a matter of Onana hitting the space for the target to run into or pass into feet. And Hojlund is showing the ability to be both a hold up play player who can receive passes in dangerous areas, aswell having the ability to utilise his pace in transition and run in behind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kind of funny how open he's been about being a United fan. Only follows 20 people, only 3 clubs of which United is one and the others are Copenhagen and Atalanta. Then a bunch of our players too. All those posts people found from the past about him bugging up United too. Liking posts United makes about goals from the past like some of Ruuds clips. Always nice seeing it that.

YikesSchmeics

Just had a quick look at how Kane did in the season at the same age as Hojlund. He played 21 games across Spurs, Norwich and a Championship loan at Leicester, and managed 2 goals.

2 years later he managed 31 goals in 51 games and never looked back. Proof to look beyond the stats when gauging young players.

Last edited:

croadyman

Kind of funny how open he's been about being a United fan. Only follows 20 people, only 3 clubs of which United is one and the others are Copenhagen and Atalanta. Then a bunch of our players too. All those posts people found from the past about him bugging up United too. Liking posts United makes about goals from the past like some of Ruuds clips. Always nice seeing it that.
Yeah he is gonna love it here

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just had a quick look at where Kane was at the same age. He had played 21 games across Spurs, Norwich and a Championship loan at Leicester, and managed 2 goals.

2 years later he managed 31 goals in 51 games and never looked back. Proof to look beyond the stats when gauging young players.
Did you use essiens calculator for that?

SAFMUTD

Antony has good acceleration but it falls off fast. Even if he had the trickery to go past a guy on his right foot I don't think he would skin anyone for pace.
Yes, it's rare to hear about a case like Antony but you're right, acceleration without speed, or at least a respectable amount of speed, is useless as well.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. I just think Lukaku gets a worse rep than he should - and keep in mind I'm one of the people that wanted him gone early (I didn't think he was good enough on the ball), but Lukaku's goalscoring record for United wasn't atrocious. Looking at transfermarkt - he seemingly scored 42 in 96 appearances for us - that's really not bad - and had 13 assists as well. That's more than 1 goal involvement every two games. He just wasn't suited for the type of football we were trying to play, as we wanted to raise the technical floor of the team.
And that's why he's the perfect example of why stats don't paint a full picture.

How many of those goals are against top 6 opposition and how many of those goals are in big cup games? Dude has an excellent record and i would never play him in a big match.

SAFMUTD

Fast players keep opposition defensive line deeper. We only had one fast player so the defence could push high against us. Don't think acceleration is more important unless we're taking about dribblers, but Hojlund isn't one.
Most players hit around the same top speed once they get it going, what sets them apart is how long they take to reach that top speed. For strikers specially playing on top teams they're not going to get acres of space behind to develop their top speed. We're going to face mostly packed defenses that's why acceleration it's more important than top speed in this case.

NLunited

Most players hit around the same top speed once they get it going, what sets them apart is how long they take to reach that top speed. For strikers specially playing on top teams they're not going to get acres of space behind to develop their top speed. We're going to face mostly packed defenses that's why acceleration it's more important than top speed in this case.
Don’t look a gift horslund in the mouth. Last season plenty of teams pressed us and they probably will again.

TsuWave

And that's why he's the perfect example of why stats don't paint a full picture.

How many of those goals are against top 6 opposition and how many of those goals are in big cup games? Dude has an excellent record and i would never play him in a big match.
Goals don't only count against top6 opposition. There are things to criticise about his game - but Lukaku scores goals

Enigma_87

You know who
For strikers it’s not only about acceleration. It’s more about movement and anticipation off the ball. If you know where the ball would be and you can be one step ahead of the defender that’s better than pure physical trait.

same goes when you play against a packed defence - movement and anticipation is key for modern day number nine. Yes he will drop deep but even if you face the goal with the ball and beat your marker someone else will cover his zone and either foul you or block the alley.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Goals don't only count against top6 opposition. There are things to criticise about his game - but Lukaku scores goals
But they still count? Beating top 6 opposition is what will win your trophies, if he can't score when it matters what use is he to a top 6 club? The fact that he's failed at both United and Chelsea is testament to that.

arnie_ni

If he struggled to win physical duels against Smalling then the PL is gonna be a rude awakening for him

As a defender only, Smalling is probably still one of the best compared to PL players. It wasn't his defensive work that caused him to be sold.

alexthelion

I’d much rather spunk this money on an exciting young prospect than on Toney, call me crazy. Toney is good but for money it would take, I don’t think he’s that special?
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Stig

If he's a hold up type of central figure centre forward I'm even more pleased . I was assuming he is a run in behind solo figure, rather than bulld an attack through me type.

That's even more positive

Status
Not open for further replies.