Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Look at the amount of chances Lewandowski missed. Strikers miss clear chances all the time. The likes of Lewandowski create such a high amount that eventually they get a goal.
Aye, Lewandowski is a good example of why finishing as a skill is sometimes overrated for strikers.

Also see below:

You'd much rather have the players who are good at getting chances (across along the top) than those who finish them most efficiently (down along the right). And the distances between the best/worst finishers and the average isn't that big anyway. And if you're great at both, you're Messi.

onemanarmy

We scored 58 PL goals last season. City bagged 94 goals and even if we discount them Arsenal had 88. Thats still 30 goals more and I think we all agree that for a title challenge we will need to up the ante on that front let say at least 20 goals more. The club put all the eggs in the Rasmus basket so now its on the poor lad to give us a large proportion of that and on the evidence I just dont think he will (but that is not a slight on him, as it shouldnt be expected from a 20yr old).
Well, no they don't. They brought in Mount who 2 years ago had 11 goals and 10 assists in the PL, disregarding the terrible Chelsea season last year. Eriksen had 1 goal last season for example.
I can see Hojlund working well with Rashford and Antony.
Our team will be better in general with Onana in goal, we'll create more chances too.

It definitely won't depend solely on him to score more goals.

quadrant

We scored 58 PL goals last season. City bagged 94 goals and even if we discount them Arsenal had 88. Thats still 30 goals more and I think we all agree that for a title challenge we will need to up the ante on that front let say at least 20 goals more. The club put all the eggs in the Rasmus basket so now its on the poor lad to give us a large proportion of that and on the evidence I just dont think he will (but that is not a slight on him, as it shouldnt be expected from a 20yr old).
I disagree with the notion that a big scoring striker is the way to bridge that goal scoring gap. A player like Haaland is the exception, most of the time the team that wins the league spreads the goals. Season before last City scored 99 league goals and their top scorer was KDB with 15. Their strength was having eight players who scored more than 5 goals, three of whom topped 10 goals. Last year only four of our players managed 5 league goals, and only Rashford scored more than 10.

We need Hojland to score 10-15 goals for sure, along with Rashford. But what we really need is more goals from across the team. Something like this

- Rashford - 15
- Hojland - 12
- Martial - 3
- Sancho - 8
- Antony - 5
- Garnacho - 5
- Bruno - 10 (assuming pens)
- Mount - 5
- Casemiro - 5
- Eriksen - 3
- Defenders - 9
This gets us to 80 goals, which is a decent target for us, and none of those numbers are unachievable for a team playing well as a whole.

CG1010

My expectations are growing over time, his physicality means that he should be able to contribute to our play already, even if he isn't a finished product so unfair to ask lots of goals and assists.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I disagree with the notion that a big scoring striker is the way to bridge that goal scoring gap. A player like Haaland is the exception, most of the time the team that wins the league spreads the goals. Season before last City scored 99 league goals and their top scorer was KDB with 15. Their strength was having eight players who scored more than 5 goals, three of whom topped 10 goals. Last year only four of our players managed 5 league goals, and only Rashford scored more than 10.

We need Hojland to score 10-15 goals for sure, along with Rashford. But what we really need is more goals from across the team. Something like this

- Rashford - 15
- Hojland - 12
- Martial - 3
- Sancho - 8
- Antony - 5
- Garnacho - 5
- Mount - 5
- Casemiro - 5
- Eriksen - 3
- Defenders - 9
This gets us to 80 goals, which is a decent target for us, and none of those numbers are unachievable for a team playing well as a whole.
We got 3 goals from defenders last season and the lowest in the league (5) from set pieces. 9 is very ambitious considering their lack of threat.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My main gripe with this transfer is it has been done too late again. He'll be coming in with no pre-season and no time to train in the system with the squad. I suspect we'll be only seeing him off the bench for the first month of the season and if/when he hasn't scored a goal in about 100 minutes of playing time, the doom lords will be ringing their bells and crying about how we could have had Kane for just another £3.99 more than the 200 million* we're paying for Hojlund

*as reported in one of the tabloids probably
This isn't an issue at all. We have no system, our main midfield barely played this season, we might as well drop Casemiro for the first game, Rashford looks way off form
Someone made a video of his shot attempts.

He seems to be a poacher with ability to score scrappy goals, not sure what other strong attributes he has based on that video. What is fine for now, just don't expect him to have transformational effect on the team.
My honest opinion is we're buying him for his physicality and good base for further development, he is nowhere near being 60/70m player as of now so people need to consider that not to be disappointed when he plays for us in the first season.

El Jefe

Someone made a video of his shot attempts.

Thanks it's clear he's not all the way there yet and needs some development but I do like that he's not afraid to use his right.

Based on what I've seen he looks like he can be a technically refined version of Lukaku. This is actually a compliment as Lukaku with better technique, hard work off the ball and not being mentally feeble is actually a really good player.

That's what his potential looks like to me.

quadrant

We got 3 goals from defenders last season and the lowest in the league (5) from set pieces. 9 is very ambitious considering their lack of threat.
That isn't a prediction, it's a target, but it's hardly an unrealistic one, particularly since I didn't include some fringe players or OGs.

Besides it's less ambitious than bridging a 30 goal gap with a single striker.

quadrant

yeah thats not happening
He wont be starting anyway. Rashford will play on the lw
Well, he managed 6 goals last term despite being unavailable for half the season. Not sure why 8 wouldn't be possible in a team playing well, even if he's a sub much of the time.

Lemoor

Well, he managed 6 goals last term despite being unavailable for half the season. Not sure why 8 wouldn't be possible in a team playing well, even if he's a sub much of the time.
If he'll play less then most likely another player will pick up the difference. All those total goal estimates are mostly dependent on minutes played and this is almost impossible to predict.

quadrant

If he'll play less then most likely another player will pick up the difference. All those total goal estimates are mostly dependent on minutes played and this is almost impossible to predict.
I think you're missing the point. The point is spreading the goals is good way to accumulate a high goal tally. If a different player ends up in the first team, then yes, that player will score more and the player replaced will score fewer. But the principle doesn't change.

Lemoor

I think you're missing the point. The point is spreading the goals is good way to accumulate a high goal tally. If a different player ends up in the first team, then yes, that player will score more and the player replaced will score fewer. But the principle doesn't change.
Nah, with this I just fully agree, so there is nothing to address here :)

Superunknown

I 100% agree I just think it was a weird metric for the poster to bring up due to Martial excelling in that metric.
Yeah, I see what you mean.

- Rashford - 15
- Hojland - 12
- Martial - 3
- Sancho - 8
- Antony - 5
- Garnacho - 5
- Mount - 5
- Casemiro - 5
- Eriksen - 3
- Defenders - 9
I don't really disagree with any of those. Although, I feel the Sancho and Antony targets are perhaps the wrong way around, or they should both be aiming for 7 or 8 goals each. Still, like you say, they're targets. Honestly, I'd be delighted if Hojlund came up with 12 goals. I can't really see that happening, but no harm in aiming for it.

The crux of it is that we should be attacking as a team, and defending as a team. It's the whole team's fault when we concede, and it's a team effort when we score goals. We've had too much individualism over the last decade and we just need to get back to those core principles of Manchester United being a unit rather than separate entities. The least I would be expecting is for us to score more than we did last season.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I can picture it now. There’s us, busting a gut trying to score a goal on the counter, and this bloke is standing in the corner, making those faces at the corner flag. Well done Ten Hag, another fine mess you’ve got us in to.

lex talionis

The unknown of what unfolds before our eyes is the joy — and the misery — of this adventure.

I don’t know what and when to expect of Rasmus Hojlund, but we are now all on the edge of our seats — after years of shit from Fellaini to Sanchez to Pogba to Ronaldo and Martial — waiting to see the boy deliver something we haven’t seen since Anthony Martial tore apart Liverpool eight years ago.

May the gates be busted down soon!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I can picture it now. There’s us, busting a gut trying to score a goal on the counter, and this bloke is standing in the corner, making those faces at the corner flag. Well done Ten Hag, another fine mess you’ve got us in to.
Jesus christ what happened to your nickname

Zico1982

Four danish experts were asked to asses Höjlunds PL-Total for the next season. The answers: 11, 12, 13 and 15. Btw. Rasmus younger brother Oscar (18), who is a central midfielder, celebrated his debut for FC Copenhagen in the 2nd CL-Qualification round against Breidablik, getting 45 minutes in a 6-3 win. The other twinbrother, Emil, who plays at 10 or as a striker, was on the bench for this match.

greater wall

That would be defenders plus own goals. Maguire is the only ariel threat we have and he looks on his way out. The fullbacks might score a couple from each side.

Remember the geese

It's not a case of putting "all the eggs in the Rasmus basket". It's about improving the team as a collective in order to make up the goalscoring deficit of last season. As well as an upgrade individually, signing Onana improves the collective. As does Mount, as does Højlund.

tomaldinho1

It's not a case of putting "all the eggs in the Rasmus basket". It's about improving the team as a collective in order to make up the goalscoring deficit of last season. As well as an upgrade individually, signing Onana improves the collective. As does Mount, as does Højlund.
Exactly, we rode our luck a lot last season - looking at xG and xGA we underperformed in front of goal and overperformed as a defence. There are some clear areas we need to add goals from: CF, RW are the main two and we should get more from defence.

CM

Apparently so.
Yep, the striker who scored 4 league goals last season and 5 the season before. Or the one who barely broke double figures in the Championship last season, with 3 in the Premier League the season before.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hojlund averages as many shots per goal as other better attackers, the shot compilation paints the same picture if it is done for any player.

Premier league top 20 goal scorers
RkPlayerGlsPKNPGShOpen Play shotsShots per goal
1Erling Haaland36729116109
4​
2Harry Kane30525124119
5​
3Ivan Toney206148781
6​
4Mohamed Salah19217121119
7​
5Callum Wilson183157067
5​
6Marcus Rashford17017108108
6​
7Martin Ødegaard150159393
6​
8Ollie Watkins151148483
6​
9Martinelli150157979
5​
10Bukayo Saka142128684
7​
11Aleksandar Mitrović144108581
9​
12Harvey Barnes130137272
6​
13Rodrigo131126665
6​
14Gabriel Jesus111107675
8​
15Miguel Almirón110116969
6​
16Phil Foden110114646
4​
17Roberto Firmino110113939
4​
18James Maddison10198382
9​
19Son Heung-min100108181
8​
20Alexis Mac Allister10648074
20​
21Eberechi Eze10197069
8​
22Alexander Isak10284947
6​
23Taiwo Awoniyi100103535
4​

Few random examples
RkPlayerGlsPKNPGShOpen Play shotsShots per goal
1​
Mbappe
29​
5​
24​
144​
139​
6​
2​
Osimhen
26​
2​
24​
132​
130​
6​
3​
Lewandowski
23​
0​
23​
134​
134​
6​
4​
Lautaro
21​
1​
20​
125​
124​
6​
5​
Benzema
19​
7​
12​
99​
92​
8​
6​
Hojlund
9​
0​
9​
54​
54​
6​

He averages 6 shots per goal, that's more or less same for any player except Haaland.
Really appreciate this. I think it shows he stacks up well.

More importantly as other users suggested so much of it is about consistently getting into the right positions.

NLunited

Yep. The obsession with players bulking up in this place is funny. A lot of people who don't go to the gym repeating the same tired old phrases about "bulking up" to get stronger.

Hypertrophy and size gain aren't the same thing as strength and force output development. Someone can get a lot stronger and add minimal muscle size, whilst another can get a little stronger and add significant muscle size.
Think of how gymnasts look, they aren‘t that bulky. Getting more bulk means less speed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Think of how gymnasts look, they aren‘t that bulky. Getting more bulk means less speed.
That's a bit of a misconception male gymnasts are for a large part very bulky. People that have lots of strength and aren't particularly bulky would be climbers but gymnasts are on the bulky to very bulky side of things especially if their strength is on an exercise like rings.

But in Football bulk isn't necessary and it's not even a good idea because Football is largely an endurance game, more muscle means more fuel spent which means less stamina. If the issue is balance then you can develop it without bulking, you will gain core muscles and stronger legs but you won't really bulk.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Some of those male gymnasts are fecking huge aren't they? Especially those dudes on the rings. Their arms and shoulders are massive.

OrcaFat

I hope people temper their expectations. If Hojland breaks double digits in the league, I would consider that a success. Martial got 11 his debut season , and his selling club inserted a ballon d’Or clause, which I take to mean Martial was rated a lot higher than Hojland is currently. Maybe he gets 6 or 7 like Ronaldo. Hopefully he hits the ground running. I’ve read people on here saying he should get 15-20 league goals, which sounds delusional. People will be disappointed, most likely, but Hojland is going to run his socks off like Weghorst at minimum, and should be able to pot a few of those Wout spurned. Be patient, everyone.
I think 15-20 league goals is probably people being overly excited. I predict 13 league goals but, as you say, double figures would be a success, and fewer might be fine as long as his overall team contribution is good.

As another shot in the dark I predict he’ll get five more goals in the cups/Europe. So that’s 18 overall which would be a great return. Put another way, loosely 15-20 in all comps. So I can understand where these “expectations” are coming from; yet, at the same time, I do think most would agree that fewer goals than that would not be a failure.

NLunited

Some of those male gymnasts are fecking huge aren't they? Especially those dudes on the rings. Their arms and shoulders are massive.
The rings dudes, yes.

Hoylund doesn‘t need shoulders and arms like that, unless he‘s planning to do a goal celebration routine spinning off the top bar of the goal.

A lot of gymnasts look trimmed off, not bulky at all. Kinda like what a perfect athletic body could look like cause it is in shape all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.