g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belisarius

Yeah, it's a poor market which makes me think we might just as well play Rashford as a striker and bring another stop-gap as a backup. This time though someone with more qualities than Weghorst.
This. If the striker market is crazy focus our limited funds on other positions of need. Plan to use Rashford and some cheap alternative or MG. Don't over-pay again.

L1nk

Goldbridge is a bit of a clown but he’s just made a video absolutely adamant that we’re signing him and it’s Atalanta just playing hardball for the best price possible

Regardless of what he thinks I still reckon this gets done around half the quotes price - with addons - if we’re willing to negotiate with them

Baxquux

This. If the striker market is crazy focus our limited funds on other positions of need. Plan to use Rashford and some cheap alternative or MG. Don't over-pay again.
ETH would love to use MG (as and when he comes back to fitness), but for PR reasons and Sponsor queasiness - which are separate from whatever, possibly legitimate or not in view of the 'emergent' facts, ethical obligations might arise from this as 'setting an example' [what kind of example does the existence of the Glazers as an ownership set about virtue or civic responsibility to institutions ] - because of the scrutiny the club is uniquely placed under, he likely won't be allowed to.

Dazzmondo

ETH would love to use MG (as and when he comes back to fitness), but for PR reasons and Sponsor queasiness - which are separate from whatever, possibly legitimate or not in view of the 'emergent' facts, ethical obligations might arise from this as 'setting an example' [what kind of example does the existence of the Glazers as an ownership set about virtue or civic responsibility to institutions ] - because of the scrutiny the club is uniquely placed under, he likely won't be allowed to.
I think we'll end up playing Greenwood with the way things are looking in terms of the striker market this season with the aim of getting Kane on a free at the end of the season. Not sure how I feel about Greenwood playing for us again tbh, I'd ideally have rathered get rid of him but we could be in a situation where we need him.

hobbers

There's plenty of precedent with Diallo about deals with lots of add ons.

£40-50m tops but up to £80m in extras. End of the day if he turns out to be a second Haaland no one would care about paying up to £80m for him.

L1nk

I think we'll end up playing Greenwood with the way things are looking in terms of the striker market this season with the aim of getting Kane on a free at the end of the season. Not sure how I feel about Greenwood playing for us again tbh, I'd ideally have rathered get rid of him but we could be in a situation where we need him.
I think you are vastly overestimating what MG could do if he actually stayed and played next season. I personally hope he does not and we get rid, but if he does I would expect him to be nowhere near the player he was before he was banned and not be reliable in the slightest. I mean the guys been out of football for so ling at this point

Acquire Me

I think you are vastly overestimating what MG could do if he actually stayed and played next season. I personally hope he does not and we get rid, but if he does I would expect him to be nowhere near the player he was before he was banned and not be reliable in the slightest. I mean the guys been out of football for so ling at this point
I would worry more about the PR nightmare though.

Baxquux

I'm not going to speculate on circumstances, because of forum rules, but I think it's a weird (no longer) case with the new publically available info. Technically there have been lots of players with active investigations and even active cases hanging over them, so I'm ok with the ambiguity in principle, although some kind of 'voluntary' community work and contribution to a suitable cause would be good, for the club and for the player. In practice though, best case is that he goes on a loan with buy option (for a good price) to Atalanta in return for facilitating the purchase of RH for not-insane price, or to a similar sized club who might also have a striker we want to buy

L1nk

Deservedly so as well, that will also hang over his and the clubs head. Honestly I think it would be way better for all to sever ties, hell if anybody cares about MG after everything and believes he deserves a second chance they should recognise he will be haunted by this in England for the rest of his career, it would be better for him to restart his career far away because nobody will let him rest here, again, deservedly in my opinion

Acquire Me

Deservedly so as well, that will also hang over his and the clubs head. Honestly I think it would be way better for all to sever ties, hell if anybody cares about MG after everything and believes he deserves a second chance they should recognise he will be haunted by this in England for the rest of his career, it would be better for him to restart his career far away because nobody will let him rest here, again, deservedly in my opinion
It will always hang over him, even though PR magic and time will obviously help. I do got a funny feeling we will see him play for us again. Just a gut feeling that the footballing people and money people will not let someone with that type of talent leave. I guess we will find out pretty soon.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I criticised this exact same point and was crucified. “ transfer window isn’t even open yet relax bla bla vla”.
It's such a poor excuse too. Transfer activity and squad planning occur year-round.

L1nk

It will always hang over him, even though PR magic and time will obviously help. I do got a funny feeling we will see him play for us again. Just a gut feeling that the footballing people and money people will not let someone with that type of talent leave. I guess we will find out pretty soon.
I agree but it will likely be less focused on him in another country somewhere as opposed to England

pascell

We don't have the funds for Kane though, and they'd be stupid to think Højlund is worth that much.

They're just chancers. All European clubs now see EPL clubs as minted, so they add another €20m on top of what they want whenever there isn't a release clause.
We do, we were putting all our eggs in that basket until Levy told us where to go.

Atalanta are not chancers, we just have idiots running the show.

Belisarius

It's not so much giving him a second chance. It's for the club trying to preserve some value on what was last year close to or above a 100 M asset. Striker's are hugely expensive and we have limited funds. Though if it's handled poorly and we end up with a huge PR problem that costs us sponsorships and merchandise sales then we might compound the financial problem rather than alleviate it.

L1nk

To note because I know there was a lot of getting down on the guy after yesterdays match, Haaland for Norway has had a terrible first half and only had 7 touches the entire half vs Scotland currently. In the second all he's done is score a penalty. Obviously he isn't Haaland but it's just to say not to judge based off of one game where the player may not be playing their best, happens to the best of them

Orange Tree

This is a joke. We should always move on and go for alternatives when clubs are trying to fleece us.

Get Taremi done, then we won't be as desperate.

RomfordRed75

As backup he's be perfect for us, but to take us to the next level next season we need a striker that will get us 25 goals a season. Unfortunately I doubt we have the money or will pay the amount needed to get that level of striker.

EisernSchild

Supports
Sturm Graz
We (Sturm Graz) have had scouted Ras since he played for the danish Under-17. So we were totally convinced that he would be the perfect replacement in spring 22 when our top striker (Yeboah) was sold to Genua.

On the other hand FC Copenhagen had have signed a new striker (Babacar) so Ras maybe would have gotten less minutes there. So it was the perfect scenario that he would join the club back then. And it was even romantical... Ras - still 18 - came with his mum to sign the contract.

Soon he was recognized as as talented as before strikers Mane and Haaland playing in Austrian Bundesliga at a very young age. And he did perfom better as - same aged - Sesko playing for serial champion Salzburg as well same time.

Ras was highly liked within the Team, the Staff and the Fans. And despite the facts that we made big money with him and that we have had a great season after he had left the club we truly miss him.

In the club papers "SturmEcho" he told us that he is a very calm guy in private life and that his family is very important to him, his parents care a lot for the boys (his two younger brothers - twins - both play for FC Copenhagen). He also told us that Cristiano Ronaldo is his personal Idol.

in the same issue coach Ilzer told us that Ras can run constantly on 36 km/h. He is the fastest player we have seen here in Austria, i guess.

Playing regularely on a senior level Ras made a big step forward at our club. And tha same happened in Bergamo on a higher level. So there is plenty of reason to believe that this progress would continue even on an elite level in the Premier League.

In Graz we called him "Hellhound" due to his name and his pace. I guess that perfectly matches the Red Devils.

Reactions: mazhar13

Stacks

Without getting into the MG debates, I think there is no chance he will play for Utd until the new owners come in. The Glazers won't wade into that PR nightmare while trying to sell the club.
If they wanted him gone they would have severed ties. Chelsea captain killed a girl whilst driving his car and had been drinking. It had ZERO impact on the club

OmarUnited4ever

That's still a ridiculous price for a player who hasn't proved he's good enough to be a striker for Man Utd. I'd much rather we pay double that to just get Osimhen. These big fees paid for young players almost never work out. The only exception I can think of is Mbappe and he was already world class when PSG spent that on him so even if he didn't develop at all, they knew they were at least getting a great player. Hojlund's not half the player Mbappe was at that age.
Mbappe was a 180M, no where near what I am suggesting, and nowadays you have Bellingham going to RM for 100M, Enzo for 120M, even an unknown like Mudryk went for 70M, rising to 100M, I am not saying Hojlund is a 55M or 75M player, but if he has a potential to become a top striker in a year or 2, then something like 55M rising to 75M is acceptable, and this is of course assuming we can't afford to spend 100-150M on one striker, if the funds are available, then Kane or Osimhen are the obvious choices.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Should be something like 40m plus another 20-30 in add-ons. That’s a fair deal for everyone given his age, but also the amount he still has yet to prove. If Atalanta are demanding 60m+ fixed, let alone 80-100 fixed, we have to walk away. This guy is a plan B striker. Loads of potential but nowhere near ready to start for us on a regular basis. The fees being touted around right now in the market are even more absurd than usual.

I’m guessing we have to wait on the Takeover. That might even shift our targets. Could easily see us getting Mbappe if we are sold to Qatar. But as always, the Glazers are going to feck us over, the cnuts. If they sell it’ll probably be with a week of the window left.

L1nk

That's still a ridiculous price for a player who hasn't proved he's good enough to be a striker for Man Utd. I'd much rather we pay double that to just get Osimhen. These big fees paid for young players almost never work out. The only exception I can think of is Mbappe and he was already world class when PSG spent that on him so even if he didn't develop at all, they knew they were at least getting a great player. Hojlund's not half the player Mbappe was at that age.
The problem is it’s clearly not as easy to just say hey we’ll pay double for Osimhen because by all accounts we don’t seem to have the money

Ronaldo's Love Child

Not impressed, the guy who's playing as a 2nd striker has been better.

This game explains why he hasn't been a guaranteed starter for Atalanta.
Y
The moral case against him is one thing but there's been rumblings about his attitude before his arrest.

Turns up late for training, questionable body language in matches-I recall him slow walking off the pitch after being substituted when we were LOSING the match (think it might have been a City game).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still can’t believe we did that with Antony. We literally paid the “feck off” price. You never pay the feck off price.
Yes, not seen it referred to as that before, but that indeed. Just a baffling transfer, regardless of what you think the player then did last season. If Ten Hag pushed heavily for that at that price, then he’s made a rod for his own back.

Baxquux

Y

The moral case against him is one thing but there's been rumblings about his attitude before his arrest.

Turns up late for training, questionable body language in matches-I recall him slow walking off the pitch after being substituted when we were LOSING the match (think it might have been a City game).
The talk is that the circumstances around last 18 months have changed him quite a lot, at least in terms of external conduct - although obviously he hasn't been able to train with the group. Bear in mind there have been a good number of other players, setting aside those alluded to who were involved in fatal car crashes through reckless/drunken behaviour (or who faced their own accusations, except in a pre-instagram age or smartphone age full stop), who at his age (or even older) were involved in obnoxious behavior. This included racist verbal assaults or property damage, admitting to mocking 9/11 victims etc. Those players went on to be feted PL players, even captains in some cases. Barton played in the PL following a spell in prison for assault (after being investigated for previous incidents); there are others.

What if, lets say in purely 'abstract' hypothetical terms, the incident wasn't entirely what we were led to believe and the witness had stated this and there was no legal case to answer, but that the leaked material still provided sufficient evidence of a previously toxic relationship and callousness for the player to have to answer for this at some level, even with teh new facts established. What if, however, the player then released a statement admitting to this 'toxic' behaviour towards his now fiancee, and his understanding of failure of responsibilities as person and player, but made a case that through maturity and counselling and, lets say for the sake of argument, doing some kind of afterhours charity-work [ this is just a hypothetical], he was performing recompense for this. We've had instances where players have engaged in (recorded or corroborated) racist behaviour or bullying, and where they've consequently been part of educational programs as well as attending therapy. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but elsewhere, even at another PL, you could foresee a scenario in which such a narrative is feasible. The climate 'abroad' is even more forgiving, especially for 'good players' with offences against the person hanging over them or who have settled with accusers, which is not necessarily a good thing but that's simply the case

I also don't trust the Glazers judgment - all clubs are self-serving to some extent, but I don't trust them to act ethically or intelligently in either the player or club's interest and I think they've got less 'authority' to make those judgments compared to even the average owner given how little interest they've shown in the welfare of the club.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
This is what happens when you cave in and pay as much as we did for Antony. Will take several years of restraint and walking away from deals before clubs take our negotiations seriously again.
This was my point before that I can't see a difference since EW

Dazzmondo

Mbappe was a 180M, no where near what I am suggesting, and nowadays you have Bellingham going to RM for 100M, Enzo for 120M, even an unknown like Mudryk went for 70M, rising to 100M, I am not saying Hojlund is a 55M or 75M player, but if he has a potential to become a top striker in a year or 2, then something like 55M rising to 75M is acceptable, and this is of course assuming we can't afford to spend 100-150M on one striker, if the funds are available, then Kane or Osimhen are the obvious choices.
Bellingham's on a completely different level to Hojlund. Bellingham's already close to being one of the best midfielders in the world and similar to the Mbappe case, even if he didn't improve at all, Real would still have bought a great player. Mudryk was obviously ridiculous, as was all Chelsea's business which is why they finished in 12th. They're a perfect example for why you absolutely shouldn't spend this sort of money on young players that aren't already exceptional. Enzo while still overpriced was also a far superior player to Hojlund.
The problem is it’s clearly not as easy to just say hey we’ll pay double for Osimhen because by all accounts we don’t seem to have the money
I'd rather we spend the money on Osimhen and go without Mount than spending it on Mount and Hojlund. We do have the money, it's how we choose to spend it. Spending big money on Casemiro worked out well for us. For the striker position, it would be worth sacrificing other less important positions to get it right imo. Hojlund for £70m+ would never be a successful deal and just like was the case with Antony, make it much more likely that Hojlund will struggle under the immense pressure of the fee than if he moved for an amount closer to his actual ability.

Castia

I feel like we don’t have a decent budget so instead of focusing on 1-2 areas that the squad desperately needs we’re spreading ourselves thin and trying to plug multiple gaps in the squad. All we’ll end up doing is filling the squad with mediocre shite. We’re desperate for a striker and keeper.

Get Osimhen and Costa. Probs be around 200m but with our budget plus sales we’ll hit that number. This squad with a class keeper and striker already improves us tenfold. Buying 4 average players with the same money gets us nowhere we’ll be replacing them again in 18 months.

Leave Rasmus for now nobody is paying his fee this summer. Let him get another season under his belt and next summer he’ll make a good squad player

Winrar

For the 100m euro price quoted I would rather go for Kolo Muani, or even go one step further and break the bank for Osimhen.

Mike Smalling

For the 100m euro price quoted I would rather go for Kolo Muani, or even go one step further and break the bank for Osimhen.
Yeah, agreed. The risk of getting a young prospect should be reflected in the price. He hasn't shown enough to justify a big fee yet.

Stacks

Still can’t believe we did that with Antony. We literally paid the “feck off” price. You never pay the feck off price.
We always pay the "feck off" price. When Leicester rejected 60million for Maguire I was shocked we bid so much for him initially and even more so when they rejected that offer. Then we proceeded to try and sign a CB every season after he joined. We are weird. Too much money to burn

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We always pay the "feck off" price. When Leicester rejected 60million for Maguire I was shocked we bid so much for him initially and even more so when they rejected that offer. Then we proceeded to try and sign a CB every season after he joined. We are weird. Too much money to burn
Makes me hanker for the days of Martin Edwards.

Wing Attack Plan R

We (Sturm Graz) have had scouted Ras since he played for the danish Under-17. So we were totally convinced that he would be the perfect replacement in spring 22 when our top striker (Yeboah) was sold to Genua.

On the other hand FC Copenhagen had have signed a new striker (Babacar) so Ras maybe would have gotten less minutes there. So it was the perfect scenario that he would join the club back then. And it was even romantical... Ras - still 18 - came with his mum to sign the contract.

Soon he was recognized as as talented as before strikers Mane and Haaland playing in Austrian Bundesliga at a very young age. And he did perfom better as - same aged - Sesko playing for serial champion Salzburg as well same time.

Ras was highly liked within the Team, the Staff and the Fans. And despite the facts that we made big money with him and that we have had a great season after he had left the club we truly miss him.

In the club papers "SturmEcho" he told us that he is a very calm guy in private life and that his family is very important to him, his parents care a lot for the boys (his two younger brothers - twins - both play for FC Copenhagen). He also told us that Cristiano Ronaldo is his personal Idol.

in the same issue coach Ilzer told us that Ras can run constantly on 36 km/h. He is the fastest player we have seen here in Austria, i guess.

Playing regularely on a senior level Ras made a big step forward at our club. And tha same happened in Bergamo on a higher level. So there is plenty of reason to believe that this progress would continue even on an elite level in the Premier League.

In Graz we called him "Hellhound" due to his name and his pace. I guess that perfectly matches the Red Devils.
I like this last bit, a lot! Bring on the Hellhound!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His finishing doesn’t wow me but some of his passes and play with his back towards goal is good.

OmarUnited4ever

Bellingham's on a completely different level to Hojlund. Bellingham's already close to being one of the best midfielders in the world and similar to the Mbappe case, even if he didn't improve at all, Real would still have bought a great player. Mudryk was obviously ridiculous, as was all Chelsea's business which is why they finished in 12th. They're a perfect example for why you absolutely shouldn't spend this sort of money on young players that aren't already exceptional. Enzo while still overpriced was also a far superior player to Hojlund.
I actually agree with the bolded part, but then what choices are there? in an ideal scenario, we get Hojlund at a 25-30M and he is treated a project player, but Atlanta are within their rights to demand a high fee, the only way for young players to move to bigger clubs for less money is either to run down their contracts down or do what Haaland did, which is agree on a release clause and when said player performs well and attracts the attention of big clubs, he will have the option to choose a top club he prefers, otherwise, the selling club holds all the cards and will demand a hefty fee, especially if several clubs are chasing the same player.

The one biggest issue for me here is the lack of striker options, there are only few to choose from, compared to CBs or CMs, do we go for Kane & Osimhen, then we need to pay 100-150M, do we go for a young one, then there is Hojlund, or that fella from RB, if we try to get a striker from PL, like Watkins, they'll demand at the very least 70-80M, not Kane money but it's gonna be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.