Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiracleInMadrid

If we land him and Onana in a weeks time, we will have addressed three key positions relatively early in the window.

I can’t be mad at that. Especially given the apparent limited budget we have due to FFP.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Very happy with the loan and us seemingly well on the way to getting Hojlund. :nervous:

caid

Posted before I saw this, apologies Geebs.

Still think this stance is beyond silly at this stage.
I think they're right to be honest. There isn't anything new to be said that hasn't been said before.
Maybe a thread in general just to contain the subject. Its way too emotionally charged a conversation for a football forum though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Let that be an important lesson: attitude and workrate are valued higher than talent.

Every player we sign should have those attributes, because they are essential.
I mean we are talking about top level football, not life. I think it's daft valuing a footballer higher because he tries hard over someone clearly more talented. One is capable of being fixed, the other isn't.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's good news of course, but man that guy really fecked us didn't he. Him being a twat essentially forced us to spend £82mil on a lesser prospect at RW and now the 50m on what is unlikely to be as good a prospect at CF. Such a shame. But will be good to put the chapter to a close .. assuming it's more than a loan.
I mean if he doesn't go and do what he did we wouldn't even be looking at striker prospects. He would have been killing it for us at CF last year and we'd just be looking at depth pieces or elite wide players/DM's.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we land him and Onana in a weeks time, we will have addressed three key positions relatively early in the window.

I can’t be mad at that. Especially given the apparent limited budget we have due to FFP.
Yep. Going into pre season with a "complete" team where any further ins would be dependent on sales to open up the squad slot (Maguire out, new young CB in, McTominay out, new young DM in) but if not then we would still be in a very good spot to go into the season. First time in over a decade that I would look at our team and think we finally addressed everything pressing and haven't left anything until future windows. Usually we ignore something, and are always late to fix the team, even when Sir Alex was here with the midfield.

Obviously some younger players in some positions, but that's fine. They'll grow and progress, hopefully to the required level.

bosskeano

i thought Muani was in the same vain of monies like with Ramos and Nunez not up there with Kane and Osimhen....if that's the case then it makes zero sense for us to interested not only b/c of the price but because he's not a CF but a wing player. We'd have to move on from Sancho for this to make any sort of sense.

Hojlund makes the most sense from the economics standpoint but man i think Ramos is the best option of the second tier CF's available.

CasaStreets

Stick to the threads lad, we aren’t here to talk about MGs guilty or not guilty.

the fact that he hasn’t trained with the group in nearly 2 years never mind kick a football makes it totally logical for the club to send him on loan, as a sweetener for this deal. The rest can be discussed later when the thread reopens
Yes, agreed, a loan or permanent move with a buyback option could make a lot of sense for all parties.

As for Hojland and us, a strike force of a 20 year old with 9 Serie A goals and Martial (for 15-20 games per season) is not what we need to have confidence in launching a title challenge.

I'm certainly excited about bringing in Hojland or someone of his profile who could become a great striker, but it's just unlikely that he's going to push us over the top next season.

That said, if he develops well, this could move could set up our squad up for a title challenge in the next 2-3 seasons, so long as we use that time to develop or buy strong cover/long-term replacements for Varane and Casemiro.

This would make for an interesting next few seasons

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
i thought Muani was in the same vain of monies like with Ramos and Nunez not up there with Kane and Osimhen....if that's the case then it makes zero sense for us to interested not only b/c of the price but because he's not a CF but a wing player. We'd have to move on from Sancho for this to make any sort of sense.

Hojlund makes the most sense from the economics standpoint but man i think Ramos is the best option of the second tier CF's available.
I think opposite. I was for all in approach for Kane or Osimhen but between overpaying for Ramos/Muani or buying Hojlund, i think Hojlund is better option. Depending on Hojlund's price. We still don't know the fee. Is it still 50 mil euros?

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think Hojlund has a higher ceiling personally than Ramos, and is more dynamic. Ramos is far more polished of course.

But we are getting a genuine physical freak with very good instincts, and he'd cost double what he does now if he went on to have a good season with Atalanta. These are the types of deals I've wanted us to do for years. Taking a bright young player on a decent fee probably a year "early" but minimizing our risk of slamming an entire budget into them AFTER they've had significant foreign success. Even if Hojlund doesn't end up being our striker of the future, selling him on wouldn't be a problem and we'd take a bearable haircut as opposed to getting rinsed over for a 50m+ loss.

glasgow 21

Obviously, United would rather have strikers like Kane/Osimhen/Muani but would settle for Højlund due to cost. The question is if settling for the next tier down is really worth it?
it might be if your buying top tier money Maguire, Sancho, Pogba etc etc

STYLOISRED

Re MG, derail thread abit but want to know the differences between MG events and compare it with like killing someone (not condone it).
Why many posters dont want to give him second chance, many even want to mke him leave the game cometely. Is it view as worse than murder in English culture for someone to b..t w.mam like he did. Not condone it, just curious of the culture.
I'm not a westerner myself but I kind of understand why many are reluctant to see him play for the club to be fair. What he did was very bad. Not as bad murder but still pretty bad. Amd I think it's because of how much football is taken seriously over there that players are held up as role models. Nobody wants a player like MG as role model.
I want him to play for the club though. I feel he may Come out of this a better person and besides, he couldn't afford to be stupid again as that relationship would be put under a microscope by everyone. Is it fair that he may get to have a good career after what he did?? Not really but life isn't fair and expecting everybody to get equal treatment is unrealistic.

Siorac

I mean if he doesn't go and do what he did we wouldn't even be looking at striker prospects. He would have been killing it for us at CF last year and we'd just be looking at depth pieces or elite wide players/DM's.
He didn't really show anything at centre-forward in the first team. His best spells came as a wide forward on the right and we were hoping that eventually he could transition to playing CF like Van Persie did back then. But it wasn't guaranteed by any means.

Abraxas

To get this back on track..
What a nothing tweet.

Really...a fee and the structure of the deal will be under discussion. Mesmerising stuff. Not something I'd expect for a transfer deal. I thought discussions would center on the boots he'll wear.

Really is pathetic what passes as a scoop these days.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He didn't really show anything at centre-forward in the first team. His best spells came as a wide forward on the right and we were hoping that eventually he could transition to playing CF like Van Persie did back then. But it wasn't guaranteed by any means.
He wasn't ready physically to play as a CF, if he'd been playing for the last 2 years that would have likely changed as he matured a bit

tjb

Yes, agreed, a loan or permanent move with a buyback option could make a lot of sense for all parties.

As for Hojland and us, a strike force of a 20 year old with 9 Serie A goals and Martial (for 15-20 games per season) is not what we need to have confidence in launching a title challenge.

I'm certainly excited about bringing in Hojland or someone of his profile who could become a great striker, but it's just unlikely that he's going to push us over the top next season.

That said, if he develops well, this could move could set up our squad up for a title challenge in the next 2-3 seasons, so long as we use that time to develop or buy strong cover/long-term replacements for Varane and Casemiro.

This would make for an interesting next few seasons
Honestly, I don't see the issue with that attack. We have Rashford who already can get 30 a season. Martial gets his millionth opportunity to shine, he's done so before, but now we won't be relying on him like we did last season. Bringing in Hojlund and not selling Martial also provides us an additional option on the left. Add that to some goal contributions and creativity from Mount and there are goals there. The question isn't really Hojlund, but the growth and development of Antony, Sancho and Amad. These are the guys that let us down in attack last season( bar Amad), who we need to see improvements in their attacking game. It's a free for all on that right side.

El-Manos

Hojlund Mount & Onana. We won’t be challenging but due to financial restraints, that could be a lot worse.

Yakuza_devils

Kane and Osimhen are too expensive for us unless Glazers feck off soon. These are world class talents.

We are left with a so called "cheaper" option in Hojlund. Young and developing. We need to get this done as we don't want to have another Weghorst situation. And God knows where MG will play next season.

bosskeano

I think opposite. I was for all in approach for Kane or Osimhen but between overpaying for Ramos/Muani or buying Hojlund, i think Hojlund is better option. Depending on Hojlund's price. We still don't know the fee. Is it still 50 mil euros?
oh no....i was completely on board with going all in on Kane more so than Osimhen simply b/c we know Kane can score goals in the league. With both seemingly out of our budget, it comes down to who may help us next year start to challenge for trophies but then also beyond. Muani is too expensive and he's a winger so no....Ramos as you see the opinion below, taht he's a much more polished finisher right now but his fee is also more expensive and who has the bigger ceiling???

I think Hojlund has a higher ceiling personally than Ramos, and is more dynamic. Ramos is far more polished of course.

But we are getting a genuine physical freak with very good instincts, and he'd cost double what he does now if he went on to have a good season with Atalanta. These are the types of deals I've wanted us to do for years. Taking a bright young player on a decent fee probably a year "early" but minimizing our risk of slamming an entire budget into them AFTER they've had significant foreign success. Even if Hojlund doesn't end up being our striker of the future, selling him on wouldn't be a problem and we'd take a bearable haircut as opposed to getting rinsed over for a 50m+ loss.
to follow up you based on the above chat....Hojlund probably has the higher ceiling b/c of his physical attributes not too mention his fee is more manageable for us right now. Now the question lies is can we rely Martial until Hojlund is ready? where i think Ramos is ready to make an immediate impact which makes Martial less of a reliance for us

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Muani is in the same bracket as Højlund surely? Hojlund this season and then Kane on a free next year would be great business. The trouble is though we’d have lots of competition for Kane next season but I’ve got a feeling if he’s still at Spurs come September I think he’s signing a new deal with them.
Seeing as how Bayern and PSG were interested in him I would say he's ahead of RH. Kane on a free would attract a lot of other big clubs, so he may be even harder to obtain.

OverratedOpinion

We get the better person. That "better player" is a vile monster who isn't fit to wear the United badge. Consider the extra 20m+ that you think is robbery as what we have to pay for someone to take that vile idiot off our hands.
Absolutely absurd opinion. If we give them Greenwood who to date has shown himself to be twice the player and money on top then it would be hall of fame of terrible transfers even for us.

We can quite easily loan Greenwood out and then sell him for more than Hoijlund down the line.

Remember the geese

Nah, think this is a good deal. Greenwood is worth nothing to us commercially. The players who can pay big money will have no interest in bringing that PR scrutiny. Need to offload him to another league. Also, Greenwood was showing nothing for us at centre forward. He's so overrated. His movement was really poor and Hojlund already shows much more natural instinct for box movement. Honestly think Greenwood is a complete one trick pony (great shooter but no creativity, no dribbling ability and woejus off the ball) and coupled with his disgusting character, I'm chuffed if we can get rid of him and get someone in who's a much better profile.
You appear to be a terrible judge of talent.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
That's not the point I was trying to make. Of course we are interested in an elite striker, but the reality is that we're not getting one now.
Højlund is one of the highest rated young strikers at the moment, so it makes more sense to go for a younger striker with potential instead of an experienced one who isn't even that much better and we'd have to replace in a few years anyway.
That's all fine and good, but the original point is he's not a finished product and big risk given the fee if he will ever reach the elite striker status United are looking for.

bosskeano

i hope they are learning a bit of a lesson with giving guys big wage packets that this is the difficulty with moving players on more so than trying to agree on a fee

Infra-red

Very joyful reading the last few pages of this thread…

Hojlund is going to be great for this club.
He's rapid and strong and seems to have good instincts in the box. Those are all things that can't really be taught. If he can develop his finishing, he could turn in to a bit of a monster. I agree, good signing (although I'd hope perhaps he was accompanied by a more experienced #9).

Klean

I guess I'm even classifying 21 as quite old for an elite striker to be showing their pedigree, although admittedly I thought Kane was a tiny bit older before he started really racking up good numbers. Prior to that, he had made almost no impact at all. If you look at Lewa, Benzema, Aguero, Brazilian Ronaldo or Michael Owen, they were putting up really big numbers in their teens. Obviously, they are among the greatest strikers in modern history and Michael Owen but even the fact that he's only becoming a regular starter at 20 would indicate that he's not in the very upper echelon of forwards if we go by trends.
If you compare Hojlund's recent season:

Age 19 - MP 32 (20 starts) 1834 Min played 9G 2A (.54 G+A per 90)

Lewandowski 1st season at Dortmund

Age 21 - MP 33 (15 Starts) 1591 min Played 8g 1A (.51 G+A per 90)

I think they profile similarly. Plus strikers do not really peak until after the age of 24. If he is the player Ten Haag wants, lets get him becuase I believe that he can reach his immense potential under Ten Haag.

red.knight

He is the type of striker i want at united. Quick, fast on the counter, can hold-up play and a deft enough touch to link up play. People doubting him for not having the numbers, yes he is still a bit raw but his goal scoring record is not bad.

9 goals in 20 starts for Atalanta is actually pretty good, comparable with the best. Top goal getters are usually around one in two games. He did score 5 in 11 apps (10 from the bench) in UEFA Conference and maybe that's what attracted him to Sturm Graz where six in 13 (all starts) and three in 5 (4 starts) looks better. That must have impressed Atalanta. So he moved to Austria from Denmark and then an upwards step to Italy succeeding at each stage before being snapped up.

Looks worth a punt, especially in a team that even before the improvement just seen was regularly making (but not taking) chances. Hojlund is the right profile of player to bring in now. He has the potential to make it at Manchester United under Ten Hag's tutelage.

izec

Wanted him for months now, since the first rumours appeared. Will be happy if this is finally done

Status
Not open for further replies.