Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

As I said in another thread would be a shame if they priced the kid out of his dream move with a value even they must recognise is absurd. Likely we won’t be in for him again unless the stars align like this summer and we’re in need.

Lets see if it gets negotiated down, apparently his agency deal with SEG is trial period for this summer, in the hopes of getting a move no doubt otherwise why trial them
What's at play is that they know we had the funds for Kane and have since announced we're not negotiating for Kane, we've shown all our cards before even negotiating. Absolutely piss poor.

Crimson King

What's at play is that they know we had the funds for Kane and have since announced we're not negotiating for Kane, we've shown all our cards before even negotiating. Absolutely piss poor.
We don't have the funds for Kane though, and they'd be stupid to think Højlund is worth that much.

They're just chancers. All European clubs now see EPL clubs as minted, so they add another €20m on top of what they want whenever there isn't a release clause.

El-Manos

We knew we needed a striker in December last year and yet we waited until now to start asking for prices?

Out recruitment process really needs to be looked at from top to bottom.
I criticised this exact same point and was crucified. “ transfer window isn’t even open yet relax bla bla vla”.

Sancho99

Why aren't we making use of the South American market? If we are going to take a risk on a young striker and we are only willing to pay upto 40/50m then surely that kind of market will represent better value?

Idxomer

The Athletic article about Ten Hag wanting a no-risk striker should make Hojlund pretty low on his list. He's the biggest risk from all names we're linked with.

KristianMackle

Clubs know we're desperate. Every journalist, from tier 1 to tier 10, has been reporting on how desperate we are for a striker for months. We're simply being given a lesson in the economic equilibrium.

LordSpud

Still feel like we will keep Weghorst instead.

Edit: And Greenwood back of course.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The Athletic article about Ten Hag wanting a no-risk striker should make Hojlund pretty low on his list. He's the biggest risk from all names we're linked with.
Look at the goal scoring charts for last year, there is a lack of proper strikers on the market. If there's no budget for Kane or Osi, then they need to be creative.

Sadly it's looking like we are going to dither on a striker signing, lose out on everyone else, and then still don't sign a decent one.

Idxomer

The only striker who fits the description given in the Athletic is Kane.
Yes, but the others including Hojlund vary in terms of risk. Osimhen for example isn't a big gamble even if he would come with some reservations about his compatility with Rashford.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How did it go from £30m to €100m in two weeks? This seemed like the most straight forward deal we’d do this summer, what happened?

Idxomer

Look at the goal scoring charts for last year, there is a lack of proper strikers on the market. If there's no budget for Kane or Osi, then they need to be creative.

Sadly it's looking like we are going to dither on a striker signing, lose out on everyone else, and then still don't sign a decent one.
Yeah, it's a poor market which makes me think we might just as well play Rashford as a striker and bring another stop-gap as a backup. This time though someone with more qualities than Weghorst.

Crimson King

This is you just projecting your pessimism. It's still 17 June for fecks sake! Have any of the other top 4 teams actually signed a player yet?

I get the frustration and the club has obviously dithered in the past, which can be solely blamed on the Glazers who take a fecking age to decide anything. It'll probably continue to feel like that until they're gone.

Even then, there would still be people like you moaning that we hadn't signed all our top targets before July!

People just need to chill. Don't follow the transfer stories if they seriously make you this pessimistic and unhappy, it's not worth it.

Suv666

As some posters mentioned everyone knows United is desperate for a striker, not much option for United to get cheap now.
Buying youngsters on a big fee is very risky, most crumble under the pressure of the massive money and the constant media scrutiny. Better to get on without a striker for a season than blowing close to 100 on this lad.

Invest in other areas, its not like he’s going to make us title favourites instantly anyway.

Would be prudent to monitor him for another season to see how he gets on and if he’s worth the fee. Kane would be available for free next season too.

glasgow 21

Whatever happen to interest in Sesko ( last year 's Hojlund) , Yes I know he is of to Leipzig on "FFP busting accountancy cheating insider dealing". I just wonder if there was any follow up on him?

El Jefe

This is what happens when you cave in and pay as much as we did for Antony. Will take several years of restraint and walking away from deals before clubs take our negotiations seriously again.
That transfer will haunt us for a long time. We've overpaid for a lot of players but Antony’s is by far the worst. No release clause, no bidding war, no real hype, no English tax and he was signed from the Dutch league and we still spent £84m.

As ridiculous as it was at the time of paying it, it's even worse now because after a year of watching him no matter how much he improves he will never come close to justifying that price tag.

We have to walk away from this lad if Atalanta are looking to pull our pants down. As you said, we will have to walk away from a lot of deals to change our reputation of being serial overpayers.

OmarUnited4ever

100M is too much, but I think we can negotiate something like 55M, that includes add-ons and takes to 75M, which I think Atlanta will not turn down as they have never received such fee, Ajax can ask for 95M for Antony because they did sell the likes of De Ligt & De Jong for huge money (85M+) and they can tell any club pay up or feck-off, Atlanta's biggest sale was Romero at 50M, which they lucked into after they had the obligation buy triggered but Spurs came calling, they paid 30M to Juve and sold to Spurs at 50M, so they had to spend 30M to get 50M, in this case they can get in the excess of 50M for Højlund which is a first for them

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That transfer will haunt us for a long time. We've overpaid for a lot of players but Antony’s is by far the worst. No release clause, no bidding war, no real hype, no English tax and he was signed from the Dutch league and we still spent £84m.

As ridiculous as it was at the time of paying it, it's even worse now because after a year of watching him no matter how much he improves he will never come close to justifying that price tag.

We have to walk away from this lad if Atalanta are looking to pull our pants down. As you said, we will have to walk away from a lot of deals to change our reputation of being serial overpayers.
It was right at the end of the window you seem to miss that part out. Arguably if it was nearer start of the window we’d have paid less. Calm down.

laughtersassassin

We have needed a striker most seasons since Ferguson left and other than signing Martial and Lukaku we have somehow went into nearly every season since with no striker or a stop gap striker.

Somehow we basically haven't even bought another striker since Lukaku left. We just just sign 33+ years olds and or loan players who are shit or past it.

Our squad planning in this regard is beyond absymal. Like how each season we havent had a striker lined up is amazing really.

And now we need two strikers......

Baxquux

Whatever happen to interest in Sesko ( last year 's Hojlund) , Yes I know he is of to Leipzig on "FFP busting accountancy cheating insider dealing". I just wonder if there was any follow up on him?
Scored a few more goals in the Austrian league to make valuation look less inflated. Still raw, but good physical attributes. Not much between him and Hojlund, but if anything I think his new RB club would ask for a more inflated figure than Atalanta will end up taking for RH...

El Jefe

It was right at the end of the window you seem to miss that part out. Arguably if it was nearer start of the window we’d have paid less. Calm down.
You have to be related to Murtough or something, you're in every thread excusing any criticism directed his or his team's way.

Whose fault was it that we waited until the end of the window to sign a RW when it's obvious we needed one for years.

OmarUnited4ever

I consider Ajax a bit special, they managed to sell some of their young talents at huge fees, De Ligt & De Jong went for £72m or more each, and in the future I wouldn't be surprised if they sell someone for £100m, if Antony was in a different club, he wouldn't have cost £84m.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Just pay it, he will go somewhere else and be worth that in 2 years,

We signed strikers like ibra, cavani, falcao etc well passed their peaks, who had we signed ibra from juve, cavani from palermo, falcao from porto, went on to be worth that much, we always become interested in these people way too late

El Jefe

I consider Ajax a bit special, they managed to sell some of their young talents at huge fees, De Ligt & De Jong went for £72m or more each, and in the future I wouldn't be surprised if they sell someone for £100m, if Antony was in a different club, he wouldn't have cost £84m.
De Jong and De Ligt were worth it at the time. Every top club in Europe wanted them after Ajax lit up the CL and Netherlands making the final of the Nations League. Back in 2019 they were the most sought after players in their positions.

Other than those two Ajax hadn't sold a player for more than €40m until last season when we overpaid for Martinez and then blew that out of the water by what we paid for Antony. Martinez has been worth it so no complaints now.

It's less to do with Ajax and more to do with us. We were desperate and left our business till late last summer and paid the price for that.

Castia

Vitor Roque is 18 years old, a Brazilian international with a £36m buyout clause in his contract

Linked to Barce etc, massive prospect.

If we're taking a punt then we shouldn't be paying upwards of 70m+

Stacks

Just pay it, he will go somewhere else and be worth that in 2 years,

We signed strikers like ibra, cavani, falcao etc well passed their peaks, who had we signed ibra from juve, cavani from palermo, falcao from porto, went on to be worth that much, we always become interested in these people way too late
what about him is worth this? He cost 22 million a year ago and was not even the best forward in his league so why is his value now 5 times that? was he top scorer? Did he win player of the year? Was he team of the year? confused as to what you seeing?
In Jan 2022 he was 1.8 million. What has he done in the meantime to elevate so much? Reminds me of those Chelsea signings

dinostar77

The only striker who fits the description given in the Athletic is Kane.
Yep, it seems Kane is who he really wants. Just that levy wont sell or will/might be tempted late into august.

I have zero doubt, if spurs were willing to sell, we would have been in the process of buying kane right now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I liked the idea of Hojlund on the basis that he would be half of that 100m price. Would be idiotic to spend another 100m on another risky project.

Adamsk7

Kane is the only guarantee on the Striker market at the moment. Even Osimhen and Ramos would be gambles. If we can’t get Kane I’d get a couple of lower cost gambles - this kid would have been top of that list but £50m should be the max. Him and Thuram on a free would suffice and Rashford would be the starting striker (I actually prefer him up top than out wide)

Stacks

I liked the idea of Hojlund on the basis that he would be half of that 100m price. Would be idiotic to spend another 100m on another risky project.
For a young players value to multiply 5 times since his last move 12 months ago I'd have expected him to have been one of the top performers in Europe this season and be like a Wayne Rooney or Fernando Torres. Atlanta are trying their luck

Dazzmondo

This is what happens when you cave in and pay as much as we did for Antony. Will take several years of restraint and walking away from deals before clubs take our negotiations seriously again.
Exactly right. This is why those screaming "it's not your money" were talking nonsense. It completely impacts our bargaining power on any deals going forward and we're now having considerable issues with FFP. Early signs are we're going to massively struggle to sign the players we need this summer while teams around us are improving.

Baxquux

Vitor Roque is 18 years old, a Brazilian international with a £36m buyout clause in his contract

Linked to Barce etc, massive prospect.

If we're taking a punt then we shouldn't be paying upwards of 70m+
Largely because these Brazilian/S American players get drawn into the Barcelona cult (which becomes a self-fulfilling thing, because they attract some of the best players, which makes them more attractive and upholds their mystique etc etc), if they're not Madridistas... or from smaller leagues and being scouted by Brighton. The weather (and visa availability) also helps, I think.

If it was City, then they might find a way (or Chelsea with their most recent signings -basically obscene amounts of money and backdoor payments to agents or properties for families) but we're not smart with constructing those kinds of deals and we don't have the same ready access to reserves either. I agree that a signing like this alongside a Taremi or whoever would be 'good business' for the summer, but we'll miss out on these kinds of deals until there's a completely new regime.

Dazzmondo

I thought 40-50m was fair, but 100m is way too high. Why do clubs always put on a +50m United bonus on the asking fees?
Because we tend to pay double what we should pay for players like Antony. If I was dealing with a club who clearly has no issues pissing away money I'd do exactly the same.

Dazzmondo

100M is too much, but I think we can negotiate something like 55M, that includes add-ons and takes to 75M, which I think Atlanta will not turn down as they have never received such fee, Ajax can ask for 95M for Antony because they did sell the likes of De Ligt & De Jong for huge money (85M+) and they can tell any club pay up or feck-off, Atlanta's biggest sale was Romero at 50M, which they lucked into after they had the obligation buy triggered but Spurs came calling, they paid 30M to Juve and sold to Spurs at 50M, so they had to spend 30M to get 50M, in this case they can get in the excess of 50M for Højlund which is a first for them
That's still a ridiculous price for a player who hasn't proved he's good enough to be a striker for Man Utd. I'd much rather we pay double that to just get Osimhen. These big fees paid for young players almost never work out. The only exception I can think of is Mbappe and he was already world class when PSG spent that on him so even if he didn't develop at all, they knew they were at least getting a great player. Hojlund's not half the player Mbappe was at that age.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think we'll pay less than what Liverpool paid for Nunez and it would be more incentivised with add-ons. It'll also be a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.