Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy Ferguson

Given the fact we paid like 50M (?) a decade ago for Martial this fee is reasonable in todays market.
We paid less but there were add-ons up to 68m. Martial was a super talent, Höjlund is not as talented imho. Can still be a very good player for us and Martial faded too soon.

Jezpeza

I’m excited by this. Looks like he has decent finishing, he can dribble and he looks like he takes good touches into space and draws a lot of fouls.

disclaimer: i watched a youtube highlights reel.

anyone have some in depth about him?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We are going to need to do something. Rumours are that Martial is going to miss the first 6 weeks of the season with the hip injury.

Teja

Pedulla is reporting that both clubs are €15m apart. United have offered €45m (£38m) but Atalanta want €60m (£51m).
Hopefully atleast a 5m loan fee for Greenwood? That brings it down to hash it out territory.

BarryWinks

I don't see what's more appealing about Vlahovic. Why do people go on about him? He's been okay at best. Nothing that says he's going to tear it up and he's got 3 years on Hojlund.
People go on about any striker as soon as we get linked. People who have probably never seen a game of that player make post after posts asking us to "sign him up" and come up with different reasons and sceneries why that player is the next best thing. The same way Hojlund has been hyped to the heavens since we were linked was the same way people posted about Jovic, Vlahovic, Sesko, Dolberg and any semi-decent center forward.

Nothing to say Hojlund will even reach Vlahovic's level, which isn't that high to begin with.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Who do you want? Vlahovic? Expensive. Kolo Muani? Expensive. Goncalo Ramos? Expensive.

The striker market is broken this summer, all the top targets are well out of our price range and even the younger ones are expensive so you're going to be spending a chunk of money regardless. He looks really average and nothing stands out to you and that's fine, that's you're opinion, but it's also the reason you aren't the coach of or a scout of Manchester United.

If he was as bang average as you think he looks why are we even going for him in the first place? You honestly don't think we are that stupid do you

Season hasn't even started so I have no idea why you think our 'season needs saving'. What we're no doubt pushing for this season is a cemented Top 4 place whilst challenging as best as we can for 1st, chasing domestic glory and getting as far as we can in the CL... Maybe the team will surprise us but even if we signed Harry Kane right now I don't believe we have the quality in depth that the likes of City have to close the gap for at least another 2 seasons. So perhaps let's trust a little in ETH and the recruitment team instead of buying or loaning another washed stop gap striker and get us a striker with the attributes and the right age profile that could lead to him growing with a load of the young players in our team and becoming a quality striker for us for many years to come.

I honestly don't see why people are against this signing so much, even for 50.. a decent season next season at Atalanta and it's double the price.

We dont really have any forwards. So yes, I'm already thinking about who can 'save' our season if there's nobody to bang those goals in.

And I don't understand the logic of "are we that stupid to pursue him" argument. As if whichever player we have signed was super special and turned out to be world beaters. News flash: we have had more dogshit signings than good ones in the last decade.

The last time we bought a talent from Atalanta, he ended up playing in random leagues and the jury is still out on whether he is capable to play in the league.

I will definitely try to get Vlahovic, he had a bad season but has shown that he can score goals in previous seasons. Juve need money as they aren't in the CL. But as you say, I aint incharge so maybe whatever I say doesn't make sense.

Wing Attack Plan R

People go on about any striker as soon as we get linked. People who have probably never seen a game of that player make post after posts asking us to "sign him up" and come up with different reasons and sceneries why that player is the next best thing. The same way Hojlund has been hyped to the heavens since we were linked was the same way people posted about Jovic, Vlahovic, Sesko, Dolberg and any semi-decent center forward.

Nothing to say Hojlund will even reach Vlahovic's level, which isn't that high to begin with.
Away with your common sense! This is muppet season!

Dempsey19

Yeah I hated when we were scouting a very young Haaland and he scored 4 goals in 20 mins. Thankfully we didnt get suckered into buying him because of all the overhyping. That would of been disastrous.

I'd rather have the player with us and hope it works out , than to be watching him smash it next year and watch him join the superpowers that are City/Madrid/PSG.

roseguy64

Why do you even bother pretending you know any of this? You come across as childish and arrogant.
It's literally true. What the hell?

Fans literally as an actual fact treat big money signings different compared to youth players...

roseguy64

Didn’t

correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Martial cost upwards of 50m? With a dozen goals in 50 odd games in a much easier league than Hojlund. If it wasnt for 2 key issues with Martial, Attitude and fitness, he would have been an absolute hit here.

I’m not sure on Hojlund’s injury record but I certainly know about his attitude, which is leaps and bounds ahead of Martial’s. He seems to have terrific values and is extremely humble.

if he comes here and continues to be hard working, stay fit, and have the right attitude, combined with his current skill set and potential, I think he would be a success here.
Manchester United confirmed the deadline-day signing of AS Monaco forward Anthony Martial on Tuesday. Martial will reportedly set United back €60 million (£44.1 million) plus €20 million (£14.7 million) in bonuses, according to RMC (h/t Get French Football)
Martial was a, appears to be, desperate end of the window signing.

Can't pull up his positions as transfermarkt is somehow not allowing me to scroll down recently. But I think he was played mainly on the wings at Monaco so he wasn't really viewed by fans as an out and out striker.

roseguy64

He's 2 years older and only has one full season in French football under his belt. I'm not sure that makes him a 'much better' prospect at all. He'd still be a huge gamble.

And good luck getting him from Arsenal for anything less than £50m. They'll likely sell him outside the EPL for less than that with a buyback/high sell on clause, but for a direct rival they'll want £50m, at least.
You're right, unfortunately. I just see Balogun as more ready right now.

OverratedOpinion

No you are talking nonsense. But why should I expect the no sense to have sense.

From a club stand point they probably give little to zero about this but they have to play to the audience. There’s a long list of wrongens that have played for us and it was kept in house.

However that was not my point as the club are doing what I expected them to do. I don’t look for morals from football clubs.. see Luis Suarez.

My issue was we have morality on this topic but those who stand on the moral side should realistically not be promoting financial gain from this situation and if you are you cannot claim to care about the victim at all, as Manchester United benefiting off this shouldn’t matter.

But your response proves you are exactly what I’m trying to work my head around. Just doesn’t make any sense to me.
I'm not going to derail the thread much further but I worked within domestic violence for 6 years and am a qualified idva. It makes no practical difference whether we lose out on 75m or we don't. The statement is that he does not get the privilege of playing for our club again. Whichever way we chose to go about that is semantics, I hope we do so in a way that doesn't benefit him quite as much and that doesn't see us giving a gift to another club with lesser morals.

I'm really unsure of what the point you are trying to make is but I'm going to leave it there.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It's not controversial, but it's pointless to mention for several reasons.

1. Kane and Osimhen are unrealistic targets.
2. Every young player is a gamble.
3. We need a striker.
4. There's a huge lack of good strikers on the market, and generally in world football.

Either way, whoever we sign is going to be a gamble, but we absolutely need a striker, and Højlund is one of the highest rated young strikers in the world at the moment. We're not going to find a striker who will score 20+ PL goals in a season.
That's the problem. We are Manchester United. They shouldn't be unrealistic targets.

Castia

We are going to need to do something. Rumours are that Martial is going to miss the first 6 weeks of the season with the hip injury.
Has there ever been a more bang average and injury prone striker ‘survive’ at a big club for as long as Martial? Should have been gone years ago. It took Sevilla about 2 weeks to realise he’s wank.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looks quite good with back to goal but how is his aerial prowess and ability to attack crosses?

Marcus

Get him! Then we can think whether we can sell enough players to get an established elite level striker.

roseguy64

It's been well established that the higher ups know feck all about squad planning and football in general.

I mean, they were lazy enough to not pursue Caicedo(dont start off with the agent bs, utd were simply too lazy to move)
Man Utd wasn't the only club involved you know. Brighton had links to one of the people involved and that's why the deal got done for them. Every other club couldn't do the deal.

December_16

That's the problem. We are Manchester United. They shouldn't be unrealistic targets.
This kind of entitled attitude will get us nowhere, or worse, get us big name, big money signings that don’t fit. We are Manchester United, but we are also a team in the middle of rebuilding, with supposedly limited funds. We don’t have God given rights to sign whoever we want at whatever price we want. We never did, never will. Just have to be smart and realistic about who we go after.

talking robot

I don't think he is it. Looks pretty slow in the highlights
There are problems with him, but being slow is not one of them. I saw him play in person about a month ago, and spent most of the match concentrating on him specifically. He has incredible acceleration, very good top speed, and fast "game speed". Being slow is not an issue.

MDFC Manager

I honestly don't see why people are against this signing so much, even for 50.. a decent season next season at Atalanta and it's double the price.
People are idiots. They were against signing Kane after his breakthrough season at spurs. Said he needs to prove it for another year.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Man Utd wasn't the only club involved you know. Brighton had links to one of the people involved and that's why the deal got done for them. Every other club couldn't do the deal.
I find it hard to believe that the player, the agents preferred Brighton over other big clubs. Especially when one of Ecuadors best players used to play for us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Starting midfield of Case, Caisedo, Mount & Bruno? A bit narrow?
if true that we will go with 3-2-4-1, Rashford and Anthony would cut inside to their stronger feet. It would be even narrower with that "4".

I just think we will still get overrun in away games, with just using Mount to replace Eriksen.

Last edited:

NLunited

I find it hard to believe that the player, the agents preferred Brighton over other big clubs. Especially when one of Ecuadors best players used to play for us.
Why would he sign for us back then? We were a depressing mess. All the players we got have a link to Ten Hag.

Now we look like a team, with fight and spirit and CL football.

bringbackbebe

Why would he sign for us back then? We were a depressing mess. All the players we got have a link to Ten Hag.

Now we look like a team, with fight and spirit and CL football.
...and everyone is aligned behind the manager for the first time in a decade. All that's left is to offload the 10 or so legacy dead weights (Bailly, Telles, DVB, Maguire, McTominay, Sancho, Henderson, Martial, Williams, Elanga) and bring in 3-4 young players to fill some of their positions (now or eventually).

I look back at the 21-22 squad with the above + Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Ronaldo, Mata, Matic, De Gea, Jones and I'm like wow, this was an actual United squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.