Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

Good that Erik is putting the pressure on the board on this. Not having a striker for pre season so he is ready for the start of the season is potentially detrimental.

Just look at the start of last season

OrcaFat

Think of it this way. We don't need to buy every player on the market and outspend every club in every transfer window.

That's not how successful clubs operate.
Who said we should do that? A silly idea, for sure.

You know as well as I do that successful clubs usually spend more than their rivals. Clubs who are successful over a long period usually outspend their rivals over a long period.

In any case, recruitment is the most important thing. The total spend in any one window is not really relevant but the power to spend, when required, is very helpful. Ask City or Madrid. They both buy players at decent prices, without necessarily breaking records, because every selling club knows that they can take their money somewhere else and buy better if they want to. The world knows we don’t have that kind of money.

georgipep

Who said we should do that? A silly idea, for sure.

You know as well as I do that successful clubs usually spend more than their rivals. Clubs who are successful over a long period usually outspend their rivals over a long period.

In any case, recruitment is the most important thing. The total spend in any one window is not really relevant but the power to spend, when required, is very helpful. Ask City or Madrid. They both buy players at decent prices, without necessarily breaking records, because every selling club knows that they can take their money somewhere else and buy better if they want to. The world knows we don’t have that kind of money.
I suggest you first check the amounts Real and City are paying. And that is assuming City are not paying more under the table (which has been proven to have happened already).

And if overspending is the secret, Chelsea should be where City are.

I am not arguing that recruitment is not important. I am arguing that we have more than enough money and don't need more to be successful and get the players we need.

goalscholes

With Ronaldo’s work rate and diet, Rooney would have won a ballon d’or. He was a sublime talent.

OrcaFat

I suggest you first check the amounts Real and City are paying. And that is assuming City are not paying more under the table (which has been proven to have happened already).

And if overspending is the secret, Chelsea should be where City are.

I am not arguing that recruitment is not important. I am arguing that we have more than enough money and don't need more to be successful and get the players we need.
Now we have more than enough? Okay.

mctrials23

What this thread has taught me is that the talent Rooney showed in his teen years is incredibly underappreciated.
Its not underappreciated at all. I think pretty much anyone will tell you that he was an absolute phenom. Its incredibly incredibly rare for a player to be that confident, strong clinical etc at that age.

Only other one I can compare him to for being so explosive and already looking so mature at that age is original Ronaldo.
Rooney was far more mature than Ronaldo in his teen years. Ronaldo was a very rough diamond, Rooney was already absolute quality by his late teens.

Kostov

Maybe that was part of the problem. His ego just blew up having been over-indulged by the management for years. Feckin Southgate too -- ignored the advice of the United team and brought him into the national/global limelight way too early. Too much too soon.

Lets hope this last 18 months out has matured him somewhat. He is only 21.
I probably agree with what you are saying, but let's not go into that discussion in here. I surely hope that he has matured and we keep him, Hojlund and potentially Greenwood would both be needed if we are to compete for anything this season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I probably agree with what you are saying, but let's not go into that discussion in here. I surely hope that he has matured and we keep him, Hojlund and potentially Greenwood would both be needed if we are to compete for anything this season.
Imagine a front line of Rashford, Greenwood and Hojlund. :devil:

Onana can pump long balls over the opposition's backline all day.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Its not underappreciated at all. I think pretty much anyone will tell you that he was an absolute phenom. Its incredibly incredibly rare for a player to be that confident, strong clinical etc at that age.

Rooney was far more mature than Ronaldo in his teen years. Ronaldo was a very rough diamond, Rooney was already absolute quality by his late teens.
Are we talking about the same Ronaldo here? The one who had 42 league goals in 46 games for PSV as a teenager and won the world player of the year for Barca aged 20? Maybe re read my post because I said “original”.

Lyng

He is talking about the Brazilian Ronaldo, not our Ronaldo. And no Rooney was not more mature than that Ronaldo in his teens.

Strelok

With Ronaldo’s work rate and diet, Rooney would have won a ballon d’or. He was a sublime talent.
Imo not only the work rate and diet but also the mentality. Rooney was not selfish enough and he was happy to play left, right, center, do the donkey works as SAF asked him to. He cared about the team more than his own achievements. Of course it's a good thing for the team but I'd say not really good for him imo.

Had he stayed as a pure striker he would have won much more personal accolades imo. After all things like Ballon d'Or largely depend on personal records especially goals. Then the English national team being pretty shit at the Euro and WC didn't really help either.

redshaw

Looking like we'll have to look elsewhere.

They have a very high offer from us but I wouldn't want to increase it any more. If they're okay losing it and keeping the player then fair enough.

Judas

Open to offers
Looking like we'll have to look elsewhere.

They have a very high offer from us but I wouldn't want to increase it any more. If they're okay losing it and keeping the player then fair enough.
We’ve not made an official offer? We’re obviously signing him though, so I don’t really get posts like this. Just make your peace with it, we don’t even know the fee yet anyway.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Ronaldo absolutely tore it up for PSV in his teens and won a Balon D'or at 20. That's not a "rough diamond".

Suv666

Rooney is one of my favourite players of all time. So many childhood memories. What an incredible guy.

redshaw

We’ve not made an official offer? We’re obviously signing him though, so I don’t really get posts like this. Just make your peace with it, we don’t even know the fee yet anyway.
I don't get posts like this. Make my peace with it? With what?

We don't know the fee, we don't know if we're signing him or not. I'm going off reports they want much more, which could be true or not.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't get posts like this. Make my peace with it? With what?

We don't know the fee, we don't know if we're signing him or not. I'm going off reports they want much more, which could be true or not.
Nah. We’re signing him, the fee will be much less than the British media are saying. You don’t have to be ITK or mystic Meg to work it out at this point.

Stacks

Not convinced by this kid at all. I'd say we should trust Ten Hag's judgement but then he thought Weghorst could do a job here.
Never purely rely on coaches trust. Should be 60% performance based decisions + 40% fitting system/playstyle/opinion of the manager.
Also he doesn't seem to know more than players who he had at Ajax, played in Holland or have some kind of connection to him. Its like Pep only signing players from Barcelona, Bayern or La Liga.

Mount - Played against him in Dutch league
Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
Sabitzer - Coached at Bayern
Amrabat - Managed him at Utrecht

Telsim

Looks increasingly likely we will be without a striker for the first 3 games of the season, one of those being Spurs away. Not exactly ideal.

romufc

Also he doesn't seem to know more than players who he had at Ajax, played in Holland or have some kind of connection to him. Its like Pep only signing players from Barcelona, Bayern or La Liga.

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
What about Casemiro?

Hojlund has only just changed agents, its not like he has been with that agency for years.

Telsim

does it? Isn’t it still late July or did I really really sleep well last night?
Looks like there's still ways to go on this deal, and even if it gets done sooner rather than later, he won't be immediately put onto the pitch after having no preseason with the squad. Hopefully, he is ready to go for our Arsenal game.

Paul778

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
To be honest I think this is just an indication of how much ETH values our existing scouting/recruiting departments - he basically doesn't at all. He knows that not all of the players that arrive will make it and there are so many positions that need improving. He needs to know not only the skills of the player but the mentality, since the team has been mentally fragile over previous years.

Once he has fixed the major weaknesses in the squad and it's more keeping it fresh, I imagine by then we'll see a bit more variation in recruitment. Hell - there is only so many players that he's coached anyway.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What this thread has taught me is that the talent Rooney showed in his teen years is incredibly underappreciated.
I think RedCafe posters in general have lowered standards and forgotten what actual top class players and good football looks like. Was bound to happen with being away from the top table all these years. The following that the likes of Martial and Pogba had is just an example of it.

Acquire Me

Imagine a front line of Rashford, Greenwood and Hojlund. :devil:

Onana can pump long balls over the opposition's backline all day.
I am not going to lie. In a perfect world that front line would be one of the most exciting line ups for quite some time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
Hojlund only changed to that agency a month or two ago, so think you've got that one the wrong way around. He changed due to our interest, rather than our interest having to do with him having the same agent.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
He had the body type that would always give him difficulties with his weight, that was clear when he was a lad. You can see what's happened now that he's not playing, which was inevitable.

redshaw

Nah. We’re signing him, the fee will be much less than the British media are saying. You don’t have to be ITK or mystic Meg to work it out at this point.
I was where you are a few weeks ago. Now I'm not so sure but we'll see.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looks like there's still ways to go on this deal, and even if it gets done sooner rather than later, he won't be immediately put onto the pitch after having no preseason with the squad. Hopefully, he is ready to go for our Arsenal game.
This deal will be done in a couple of weeks. Likely the week before the season starts. Also, he's a 20 year old moving to a new league. Even if signed tomorrow, I doubt he'll be starting the first few games.

ETH only throws in those players straight in the starting 11 who know his style of play, like Antony. For others like Casemiro, you would expect there will be a bedding in period. So I wouldn't expect him to start against Spurs or Arsenal anyway.

doomy20

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
Yes. To some extent this can be an advantage and he may be relying on this in his first windows but sooner or later he will have to forget about ex players/players he had seen or talked to in his previous life and signing completely new ones.

zaafi

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
Eriksen being ex-Ajax has nothing to do with signing him for United.

Neither does Højlund, as he has no connections to Ten Hag, other than just recently signing for the same agency, but that's because he wants this transfer.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Eriksen - ex Ajax
Onana - ex Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Weghorst - Dutch
Malacia - Dutch
Hojlund - Same agent
Nope.

L1nk

We won't pay more than 60, Atalanta want 85, but we could reach a compromise if we add a very specific 8.5mill in addons on top which is still way less than the 85 Atalanta are apparently demanding? Why does the British reporting on this transfer sound like utter bull all the time it's so weird

OmarUnited4ever

The Athletic say that United are quoted £60m here.

If you’re wondering why a player who scored a whole nine league goals last season is being quoted with a price tag north of €70million (£60m, $78.7m)
Edit: This is an analysis article written by Carl Anka and Mark Carey, so it's not a news reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.