Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

marktan

Man if we pay 70m euros for this guy I will be sad. Ive watched him a decent amount and he is a £40m player at best, mostly for potential.

I know Richarlison had a poor season at Spurs (mostly due to playing through injuries and largely only getting sub appearances), but he went for £50m and he showed a lot more at Everton than Hojlund ever has. He had multiple 10+ goal PL seasons, scored some great goals. If the best you can do this season is to wildly overpay for an average young striker, I'd rather we didn't bother. We keep getting stuck with players like VDB, Antony, Sancho, AWB whose real value is about half of what we actually paid.

Davie Moyes

It was actually £64m with add ons that it seems quite likely he might not achieve.

And the poster I was replying to was suggesting that all CFs need to bought at this point, before they’ve had a blow up season.

Darwin being 22 and having just had a blow up season and then being sold for that amount is a very recent example of that being complete nonsense.
Darwin's addons are actually the most easily achievable as can be. Something like the rest of it after 20 odd appearances. Nothing like a Balon Dor clause. So he is effectively a 100m euro player.

A great example of how Liverpool signings are only reported as the base fee. Another example is Mac Allister reported as £35m when everywhere it was initially reported with addons to reach £55m.

mu4c_20le

Joint highest international scorer for Denmark. Currently managing in the English Championship.
Thought he got unfairly criticised during his brief spell in the PL at Newcastle so was glad to see he had a solid club career after that and a good international one. :)
I don't think it's unfair to label him a PL failure, and he only really had success in the dutch league, and maybe one season in italy. Not sure why the other poster brought him but for Hojlund to succeed with us, he would have to be much better than him.

Exciting times.

eire-red

You're kidding right? Drogba for sure refined his game, he was raw as f*** at Marseille, but he really worked at his game. But both Lewandoski and Cavani are technically fantastic players... positional play, finishing (how relaxed they are in front of goal...) their heading ability, technically almost perfect. We have a generation of fans who haven't seen many centre forwards who score many goals with their head, attacking the ball. Look at Rashford's (match-winning.... ) goal against West Ham in the Premier League last season. Awesome strike.
Think the original point was technical in terms of close control, dribbling, bringing others into game, softness of touch, a la Bergkamp, Henry type of silky players.

I was saying there are a cohort of top level strikers who weren't as refined in those areas, but had other aspects to their game that made them great. I don't think Cavani is technically brilliant at what fans traditionally would view as technical skills: first touch, close control, dribbling etc..

He's not as refined in those elements, compared to someone like Kane, at least to my eyes. Didn't take away from how great a player he was, which is ultimately what I'm saying.

Giggsy13

The price is what it is, but he has a ton of potential and is likely capable of scoring up to 20 goals in his first season based on the number of chances we create. In the end, signing 3 players for roughly £150 million who will all feature as starters is a very good transfer window.

Abraxas

Think the original point was technical in terms of close control, dribbling, bringing others into game, softness of touch, a la Bergkamp, Henry type of silky players.

I was saying there are a cohort of top level strikers who weren't as refined in those areas, but had other aspects to their game that made them great. I don't think Cavani is technically brilliant at what fans traditionally would view as technical skills: first touch, close control, dribbling etc..

He's not as refined in those elements, compared to someone like Kane, at least to my eyes. Didn't take away from how great a player he was, which is ultimately what I'm saying.
I completely agree with you.

I don't think Cavani was a technical wonder. He was extremely good at the fundamentals of centre forward play. If you were a scout you'd give him a tick for nearly every category. Great build, good athlete, can hold the ball up, good in the air, good movement, good finisher. But he wasn't exactly Wayne Rooney or Dimitar Berbatov with what he brought on the ball in and around the box. It was good, common sense hold up play, it wasn't something I got off my seat for expecting something surprising to happen when he got the ball and I don't think he was like that even in his prime, as obviously we got the tail end.

So there are certainly levels of technical ability and creativity among strikers and I don't think it's mandatory to be the most technical attacker out there to be among the best. It depends on the team. If you have technical players, creative players, players that can get great quality into the box, then maybe it's actually more important to have a striker that makes the right movements, finishes the chances they're creating and provides an outlet to create space. Basically don't feck it up when you do get it, bring others into play. That requires a good touch and passing but by no means do they need to be the most technical player in the team. If your team is full of work horse midfielders and little creativity then maybe you do need somebody that can drop in and take responsibility. It's about the overall function of the striker within the setup for me.

I still don't think Haaland is a technical wonder, I think his athleticism and finishing far outstrip his technical ability. His technical ability amounts to having a great ability to take the right touch to get a shot away, it's not like the fella is dropping into spaces and spraying balls around with the outside of his foot to contribute to team play with his technical ability. He's not that interested, as long as he takes the right touch for the purposes of a shot that's mainly what he cares about. So for me he's another example of a striker that doesn't need to utilise many areas of technical ability, I wouldn't say he's anything like Ibrahimovic for example, to pick a striker with a similar build that has incredible class on the ball. He does his own thing and it works.

As far as I can see Hojlund has ticks in many boxes. Many of them are potential, raw ingredients, but that shouldn't be too surprising at this stage. ETH clearly thinks he can fit into what he's creating and that's good enough for me to go with.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I was comparing Munich to London, which also has its charms. I live in California, which despite everything you may have read recently, is a pretty incredible place to live, work and play but when I was in Manchester last time a few months ago I could really see myself spending more time there. But there's nothing quite like (at least for the masses) California.
Completely unrelated to this thread by I spent roughly 2 weeks in Manchester semi-recently and I was impressed. Granted most people told me I got lucky b/c the weather was unusually nice the entire time, but first impressions are I’d personally rather live there than London.

California is not a real place, especially SoCal. Absolutely spoiled with that weather. Summer and spring all year long. Virtually no precipitation. Beautiful women. Beaches. Mountains. Too bad the people suck.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

100%.

Aside from anything else, the reality is that CFs tend to actually touch the ball very infrequently in games relative to the rest of the team.

Even someone like Kane, who we think of as a very well rounded CF, had the 26th fewest touches per 90min in the Spurs squad last season, only ahead of two goalkeepers and a 16 year old who played literally 1 minute. Ditto someone like Gabriel Jesus, a player we think of as contributing more in general play than as a goalscorer, who was 22nd among Arsenal's squad by the same measure. Only better than their other CF Nketiah, their goalkeeper and two other kids who played a combined 2min.

The point being that the value of a CF's touch, control, dribbling etc. is by definition capped by the amount they actually touch the ball. But because people tend to overestimate how involved in possession CFs ever actually are, they perhaps tend to value those qualities more than they should relative to others that don't involve the CF ever touching the ball, like off the ball movement, postioning and the ability to force space from defenders. Qualities that less technical strikers like Cavani possessed in spades and are probably more important when it comes to actually scoring goals than more aesthetic qualities.

croadyman

There is no doubt he is raw but has the ingredients to improve with both Erik & Benni's coaching. He will also get better service here than Atalanta which will make a difference

Woziak

You are assuming a lot here. First of all, the wage amounts, and second, Kane not dropping off in performances. Third, you don’t include Hojlund improving over time.

Fourth: we made third place without Hojlund. Who is he replacing? Weghorst. Are we improving with Hojlund over Weghorst? Hell Yeah.

Fifth: Spurs regularly not making CL with Kane.

Worst post I’ve seen in a while. Are you Kane’s agent?

Revenue per CL £500m, have you seen this years accounts yet record revenue predicted of £630-640m without CL football sort of blows your whole post out the window and Kane wants £500-600k per week not £350k !

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I love how he's using his strength to hold off a defender to receive the ball and how comfortable he is doing that. Then laying it off to someone in space. I can see Onana looking for this guy high up the pitch with quick fire passes into his feet completely bypassing the midfield. Should make beating a high press a lot easier. We've seen Onana do this countless times at Inter playing it straight into Lukaku.

Good times ahead.
Yeah some good moments, but a couple gripes I cant get over - heading and arial duels subpar and often looks like the ball is stuck under his feet.

L1nk

9 goals in 45 appearances last season doesn't thrill me, we can't be hanging our hat on a 20yr old raw recruit to fire us to the title surely, would have thought there must be another more experienced striker being lined up before the window closes.
It was 12 g/a in 34 games, of which the minutes he played in said amount of matches add up to about 20 full matches overall... with his 2 assists that's 12 g/a contributions in 20 matches.

If you consider his exploits with Denmark too then it's 16 goals in 38 games or, minutes wise, 18 g/a in 24 matches

Where did you get 45 appearences from? Not only that but even if we had Harry Kane we don't have anywhere near the current squad depth to challenge City to the title next season.

lex talionis

Completely unrelated to this thread by I spent roughly 2 weeks in Manchester semi-recently and I was impressed. Granted most people told me I got lucky b/c the weather was unusually nice the entire time, but first impressions are I’d personally rather live there than London.

California is not a real place, especially SoCal. Absolutely spoiled with that weather. Summer and spring all year long. Virtually no precipitation. Beautiful women. Beaches. Mountains. Too bad the people suck.
The women in Southern California are absurd. Sure, the further inland you go the deterioration is there for all to see, but along the beaches and 2-3 mikes in, oh my.

Waynne

Yeah some good moments, but a couple gripes I cant get over - heading and arial duels subpar and often looks like the ball is stuck under his feet.
I get that but also he's still got a decent amount of years ahead of him to improve on his game. I'm hoping benni mccarthy can work his magic like he did on Hojlund like he did on Rashford.

arthurka

Hope Atalanta aren't watching this game they will raise the price after seeing what we have had to watch.

WPMUFC

Hope Atalanta aren't watching this game they will raise the price after seeing what we have had to watch.
yeah, i was going to say, this friendly just added 10 million to the negotiations. Onana has revolutionised our play out from the back and this game is showing the MASSIVE hole we have in the striker department. All our options against a decent back 4 were played out of the game.

Whilst it looks like Hojlund is the focus, I can see why Kane was ETH's first choice. Kane fixes every problem we saw tonight going forward. :(

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I know nothing about him. Is he a striker that will free himself from his marker and get just on the end of it?

NLunited

I know nothing about him. Is he a striker that will free himself from his marker and get just on the end of it?
That’s what I have been hearing and seeing, he has good movement and is fast. Of course adapting to the PL can be hard, but he has the talent and body to do it.

meamth

Man if we pay 70m euros for this guy I will be sad. Ive watched him a decent amount and he is a £40m player at best, mostly for potential.

I know Richarlison had a poor season at Spurs (mostly due to playing through injuries and largely only getting sub appearances), but he went for £50m and he showed a lot more at Everton than Hojlund ever has. He had multiple 10+ goal PL seasons, scored some great goals. If the best you can do this season is to wildly overpay for an average young striker, I'd rather we didn't bother. We keep getting stuck with players like VDB, Antony, Sancho, AWB whose real value is about half of what we actually paid.
His minutes per gol ratio is actually 16 goals last season if played all 38 games for Atalanta.

I think for a 20 year old, that's more than impressive. It is what it is, 30 million potential is now double that price in the current market.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That’s what I have been hearing and seeing, he has good movement and is fast. Of course adapting to the PL can be hard, but he has the talent and body to do it.
And we're actually signing him? The manager has named him as a target then? I'm not up to date.

Pronewbie

Peep

Thing is - I don't think Richarlison would be a good fit for how ETH wants to play. But yes we are being fleeced by the club that sold us Amad for £30M+

roseguy64

The price is what it is, but he has a ton of potential and is likely capable of scoring up to 20 goals in his first season based on the number of chances we create. In the end, signing 3 players for roughly £150 million who will all feature as starters is a very good transfer window.
He won't score that many.

MinGin

It's ridiculous that it takes an entire transfer window (or sometimes 2 or even 3 transfer windows) for us to bid for a player. Always some drama.
Meanwhile, clubs like LFC and even AFC are able to get their business done quickly. I've watched several documentaries on footballers and they all say that when they are sold it is done very quickly with little notice.
The negotiating team at MUFC should be fired. They are beyond incompetent.
Either make the deal or move on to another target.
Maybe Media have less interest about the transfer news of your captioned clubs. So it will only be reported it after the stage of the deal was sealed and almost done.

croadyman

Starting to look like we need another striker option in January,hopefully we can get Toney to take pressure off then but Utd may not even be interested which would be a shame.

There needs to be more talk about additional striker,there was a bit of it earlier in window but seems to have died down.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dont think they were, you can have written bids thats still not official. I might be wrong ofcourse
Yeah. On second thought, I'm not sure either. Thus I changed my early post into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.