Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

The fan love of Weghorst dispelled this. That guy never scored and was one of the worst footballers we've ever had but people loved him for trying hard.

As for Hojlund, he'll no doubt score double digits. Will he be proficient? Probably not, but even just his threat will open up the pitch in a way we haven't had in a while.
What fan love for Weghorst did you see? That was gone by the end of the season. Just there was no hate. And he was a loan.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
edge, brink, advanced

why don't they ever use the word rim? :drool:
BREAKING: Man Utd close to kissing the rim of this transfer saga!
Cleaning up a few crumbs left and right and after a check for cracks flushes through cleanly the announcement can be officially excreted

Brightonian

We should be careful not to think too myopically about Hojlund, either. I don't think that the point is to rely on him. Remember, we had Ronaldo not long ago and we relied on him for goals, and he scored a lot of them, but it didn't help because he didn't help others score more, or press better. This is the mindset we need to have coming into this season.

It's not about relying on Hojlund to bag 20 goals. No. Its about Hojlund being a tactical help to such an extent that Rashford, Sancho, Mount, Bruno, Antony, Garnacho, etc, all are able to benefit from his CF strengths and cumulatively score more than Hojlund could so that we don't have to rely on a single forward. And naturally, as the team scores more, so does Hojlund, but the focus on individualism is a detraction from what his skillset could do for the team overall.
Good point. And a lot of people talk as if there aren't more goals in this team except whatever a new #9 can bring. But aside from Rashford, who did exceptionally in terms of goalscoring, almost everyone else arguably underperformed with goals last season. Some because they underperformed overall (Sancho), some because their goals didn't keep up with their otherwise good football (Bruno).

What we do seem to be able to reliably expect from Hojlund is tireless intelligent movement off the ball, and good hold-up play (with his feet, at least - perhaps less so aerially.) That's something we literally didn't have on the pitch last season. Martial injured or passive. Weghorst not dynamic enough off the ball and surprisingly poor with hold-up. Add these ingredients in and you can all but guarantee a significantly improved goal return from at least one or two of Antony, Bruno and Sancho. And it will help Rashford to keep up his own stellar numbers too.

Meanwhile Hojlund himself only has to score 9 goals or something like that to equal Weghorst and Martial's contribution combined.

Fahad Jawaid

Hopefully the fee is around 50m Initial plus 10m add-ons. Because the lesser the fee, the less pressure it will be on the player.

Crimson King

Hopefully the fee is around 50m Initial plus 10m add-ons. Because the lesser the fee, the less pressure it will be on the player.
It'll still be reported as the full amount by the press, and they'll put the euros figure in pounds to make it look even bigger.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
City create a lot of chances by controlling possession and moving the ball from right to left and vice versa, this is massively helped by having a goalkeeper who can play out from the back. They also exploit gaps made by the possession by having a goalkeeper with superb long distribution. ETH wants us to be press monsters and obviously has an eye on keeping more possession when we have the ball, add the two together and we’re definitely in a far better position than last season.
Agreed.

And a team can either play a high-line by going direct with a minimal amount of passes to then press or counter press collectively or play out of a press.. But that first strategy isn't as effective against teams who play out of a press due to those teams having press resistant players in the first phase which allows them to evade the press and retain possession for longer periods of the game. Hence the likes of Guardiola, Arteta, Klopp and De Zerbi have developed well rounded teams who can control the game in possession, as well as transition quickly whilst also having the ability to control the game out of possession.

Last season we won home games against Man City and Liverpool by ceding 71% of the ball to them. And ceding 61% to Arsenal at home in a game we also won. But playing in transition isn't sustainable in the long run and i'm glad to see some changes have been made to rectify that problem. The teams who scored the most goals in the league were also those teams who had the bulk of possession.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
he will add to the team that’s for sure but I just don’t see him hitting 15+ goals which is what we need. I’ve watched his compilations on YouTube and he misses quite a lot of what seems like easy chances. I feel like we will get a Nunez type player not a Kane type player.
I agree with Nunez comparison. While Hojlund is way more gifted player technique wise, he is definitely not clinical finisher with silky touch (like Kane and Lewa are). But neither was Rashford and looked him now.

NLunited

I love his hunger for goals in particular. Feel like only Rashford has that in the team while every one else wants to be a playmaker. One criticism I have for Hojlund though is that his finish doesn’t seem reliable
That has been said, but his conversion rate actually is pretty good.

cyberman

That was always the rumoured figure for weeks now.
feck knows where the British tabloids got 84m from

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Actually really excited about this!

If it works (and that's a BIG if) boy oh boy are we in business for this season!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Here we gooooo! Nice and early with all our transfers!! I can feel this being a great signing. Need to give him time though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That’s an astonishing fee but strikers are gods nectar right now and he’s a talented young one so I guess what else can you do. Ideally he’d be coming in alongside a more experienced one, or with a good striker already at the club but sadly due to the club signing OAPs as strikers for the last decade, we are where we are.

hope we don’t put too much pressure on him early on and he goes on to be quality here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let's fecking go, we have a proper striker!! Huge signing.

I'd only expect a squad player for the first season but before long he'll step it up, and I think he has massive potential. Could be a legacy defining signing for Ten Hag this.

doomy20

Good good.

Next important steps:
1. Don’t feck up the numbers game, give him the 9 shirt, majorly important
2. Find quick selling solutions for Fred/McT/Maguire
3. Bring in Amrabat

Status
Not open for further replies.