Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

how about we tell Kane to wait a year, tell Levy to suck a bag of dicks

get this guy and rotate with rashford for a season, with Garnacho and Rashford sharing left wing as well

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ferguson would be even more if he could be pried out of Brighton and he's 2 years younger. But thankfully he's not going anywhere!
Funny thing is, if you actually want someone like Fergurson to become top class - like a lot of the Irish fans want, the best thing he can do is have a full season (i'd even say 2) with you and nail down the centre forward spot and start racking up the numbers. He gets European exposure, he gets consistency in his development with yourselves and at the end of it we can come in and throw you a small fortune to take him off your hands :D.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Did a little research for a few names for the experienced striker role. There's Ben Yedder, Gérard Moreno, Rodrigo, Taremi, Icardi, Morata and Fulkrug.

I think I'm particularly intruiged by Taremi though that's just purely based on looking at his stats. He'd probably be cheap to with one year left and Portos situation
I used to highly rate Ben Yedder and thought he would have been the perfect type of striker signing a few years ago - somebody who could compete for a starting spot and be good enough to be the main starter if Martial's form dropped off (which unfortunately did happen) but would also likely be happy off the bench if Martial kicked on to the next level. I guess that's the thinking behind all the names you listed as well (except with Hojlund instead of Martial), and probably is what our plan needs to be if we do want to bring in one of these young strikers and an experienced option as well.

We're not going to get both an expensive young striker AND an expensive striker like Kane. It's one of the other, and then either use Martial/Rashford as our competition and/or back-up, or sign a cheap striker to fill that role.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nobody here was talking about him 6 months ago. How has he suddenly become favorite for the CF transfer that we are looking for?
People were talking about him 6 months ago. The masses weren’t talking about him 6 months ago because he was 19 years old and not yet performing on an international level. When you are that young 6 months can change everything.

Mainoldo

Asides Kane and Osimhen, I'm really not sold on those other strikers. Take for example Taremi scored more goals than Ramos who is just having his breakout season. Fulkrug is another name I mentioned in the experienced list and he score the same goals as Kolo Muani in the same league, playing for a much weaker side. Kolo Muani is also just having his breakout season. Someone brought up a stat where Hojlund has scored one less goal than Vlahovic while playing less games.

I could most likely be wrong and one of Ramos, Vlahovic or Kolo Muani turns out to be worldclass but I'm personally not sold on any of them, most especially Vlahovic and Kolo Muani the few times I watched them.
There’s no comparison between Vlahovic and Hoijlund. Vlahovic has had a groin injury for the majority of the season and it’s been an underlying problem. Before that his stats stack up. So I don’t agree there.. but Muani I can agree with. Might point being these guys have way more experience than him and I wouldn’t want to have a guy who’s only played a season for Atlanta leading our line. It’s amateurish.

Adamsk7

Having only seen highlights, he looks good but he surely can’t be our only striking option. I can’t see how he’s gonna instantly be the 25+ goals a season striker we need. If we’ve got the budget as a second option similar to how Alvarez is at City, then fine.

Definitely a talent but not the priority.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Having only seen highlights, he looks good but he surely can’t be our only striking option. I can’t see how he’s gonna instantly be the 25+ goals a season striker we need. If we’ve got the budget as a second option similar to how Alvarez is at City, then fine.

Is that what we need? Very few teams have two +25 goals forwards and we already have one. I would say that what we need is a consistent +15 goals striker that is well rounded.

laughtersassassin

He should be out version of Alvarez in terms of a prospect striker.

Now we need our guarantee as well like Haaland

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

We want that. We don't need that. Not next season, at least.

Though obviously we'll hopefully get a striker like Hojlund alongide someone else rather than instead of.

JPRouve

Scout
This guy alongside a ready made striker would be great business. He looks strong and two footed with a lot of pace.
In my opinion it would be terrible business. Players like Hojlund are at a point of their career where they need to be trusted and given starter minutes anything else you are ruining them and should leave them alone.

Varun

Staff
In my opinion it would be terrible business. Players like Hojlund are at a point of their career where they need to be trusted and given starter minutes anything else you are ruining them and should leave them alone.
Agreed.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s 20 years old and has attracted one of the biggest sides in the world. You can still progress as the second option!

If he’s good enough he’ll force Ten hags hand. And ten hag knows what he’s doing. Look at Garnacho, similar age, more talented than this guy and has had a great season as a squad option. We won’t be ruining Garnacho if he isn’t getting the starter minutes next season that you think Hojlund also deserves!

Plenty of talented players actually regress by being thrown into the limelight too soon. Especially at a club like us.

RuudTom83

Media speculation aside we don't actually know if United are looking at playing Rashford primarily as CF next season, so an alternative option or backup option to Rashford might be the right path to take.

Until the summer ends we wont know.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Media speculation aside we don't actually know if United are looking at playing Rashford primarily as CF next season, so an alternative option or backup option to Rashford might be the right path to take.

Until the summer ends we wont know.
I’m not sure what I would want to do with Rashford. If he could improve as a CF that would be ideal with Sancho and the emerging Garnacho more than enough for the left. But Rashford has been better from the left than CF.

Gordon S

how about we tell Kane to wait a year, tell Levy to suck a bag of dicks

get this guy and rotate with rashford for a season, with Garnacho and Rashford sharing left wing as well
Think Kane could be very good for us but that is the only option that makes sense in my head.
Fight all summer and still ending up paying 100m for a want away 30 year old with one year left on his contract. We´re not state funded.

JPRouve

Scout
He’s 20 years old and has attracted one of the biggest sides in the world. You can still progress as the second option!

If he’s good enough he’ll force Ten hags hand. And ten hag knows what he’s doing. Look at Garnacho, similar age, more talented than this guy and has had a great season as a squad option. We won’t be ruining Garnacho if he isn’t getting the starter minutes next season that you think Hojlund also deserves!

Plenty of talented players actually regress by being thrown into the limelight too soon. Especially at a club like us.
Hojlund trajectory is on the up, it will be his fourth season at professional level, it's not the time to stall his progression. You trust him or you let him stay on his current trajectory somewhere else. I don't actually know a single player in a similar situation that managed to develop properly while not adding minutes.

22/23 is Garnacho first season as a first team player, they are not at the same stage of their development, if Garnacho wasn't an academy player I wouldn't advise him to join United but to sign for a team that is going to offer him +2000 minutes next season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I genuinely believe our First option is to buy Kane and have R Hojlund as a back up because the kids young and can play across any of the front three positions. We won’t sign Kane but could sign him in January if we are in a title challenge as Levy will be desperate to get £60m knowing he’s going to lose a prized asset on a free. Therefore we are looking at a 6 month fix as option 2 and it seems we want Neymar on loan, move Marcus in some games to 9 have Rasmus Hojlund on the bench with Antony or Sancho, Garnaucho and maybe Amad. We might sign a more experienced M Thuram whose 26 and can also play anywhere in front free plus he’s on a free.

It seems the big money for a striker looks too be moved towards a M Caciedo or D Rice and M Mount to upgrade the Midfield. We want osimhen or Kane but both cost a fortune. We could easily negotiate R Hojlund at €45m plus €15m add on clauses which the club and he might achieve but this is how the deal will go and make sense.

Its clear for once, the club has a strategy driven by ETH and supported by JM.

Diego Costa(£60m) in goal as our new number 1, KMJ as an upgrade on H Maguire (£45m) at CB, D Rice at CDM (£100m), M Mount (£45m) as an upgrade on C Ericsen and R Hojlund as our temporary 9 to support Marcus (£40m) and Neymar on a 2 year loan deal. This lot will cost nearly £290m or probably £200m net after we sell players.

I think A Rabiot and M Thurham on frees are also in the mix dependent on ETH view of squad depth.
Can you take Murthough's job?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'd say there's a mid-ground. Everyone seems to be focusing on him being either our undisputed main striker that we are relying on or him being an undisputed backup behind a Kane or similar.

Personally I'd be looking to have him (or any of the other young strikers we're linked with) being more a 50/50 situation for his first season or two. Starting plenty of games but also only on the bench in plenty. That way he gets the game-time he needs but also doesn't quite have the focus and pressure of being completely relied on, and can be rotated as his form fluctuates (which is to be expected for a young striker). Then the expectation is he slowly becomes the undisputed main guy in a couple of years. Maybe it could happen earlier if his performances warrant it, but I wouldn't be relying on it.

Adamsk7

Is that what we need? Very few teams have two +25 goals forwards and we already have one. I would say that what we need is a consistent +15 goals striker that is well rounded.
We do. We don’t already have one - we have a player who’s had two 17 goal seasons in the Premier league in his entire career and has an average of 12 league goals per season. Whilst I’d love him to score 30+ in all comps next year, it’s certainly no guarantee.

A 15 goal striker…..league only? Cos If so then that’s probably 20+ in all comps, which would make us pretty much in agreement. If you mean 15 in all comps then you’re saying you want a striker that scores probably under 10 league goals a season, which is a pathetic return for a no.9 at Manchester United.

JPRouve

Scout
I'd say there's a mid-ground. Everyone seems to be focusing on him being either our undisputed main striker that we are relying on or him being an undisputed backup behind a Kane or similar.

Personally I'd be looking to have him (or any of the other young strikers we're linked with) being more a 50/50 situation for his first season or two. Starting plenty of games but also only on the bench in plenty. That way he gets the game-time he needs but also doesn't quite have the focus and pressure of being completely relied on, and can be rotated as his form fluctuates (which is to be expected for a young striker). Then the expectation is he slowly becomes the undisputed main guy in a couple of years. Maybe it could happen earlier if his performances warrant it, but I wouldn't be relying on it.
I agree with that but you are describing a potential starter in a competition with someone else. You are not talking about a player signed to be a backup behind an undisputed starter. If we sign Kane then the young player that we could sign should be a long shot, not someone that is not only expensive but also at a crucial point of his career where starting minutes are crucial. If you have Kane he is playing every minutes where he isn't injured or close to that.

Hughes35

Dare I say it.... He has a look of a young Van Persie about him in his style?

Would be good to see us go after a player like this BEFORE they make it big.

Hopefully it's not all talk and we really are getting business done early this year.

JPRouve

Scout
We do. We don’t already have one - we have a player who’s had two 17 goal seasons in the Premier league in his entire career and has an average of 12 league goals per season. Whilst I’d love him to score 30+ in all comps next year, it’s certainly no guarantee.

A 15 goal striker…..league only? Cos If so then that’s probably 20+ in all comps, which would make us pretty much in agreement. If you mean 15 in all comps then you’re saying you want a striker that scores probably under 10 league goals a season, which is a pathetic return for a no.9 at Manchester United.
For context, only 12 players have scored more than 20 goals in the top 5 leagues this season? 5 of them have scored 25 or more goals.

As someone else said we may want a 25+ goals striker but we don't need one, no one does.

Dazzmondo

But young forwards with noticeable potential are all expensive these days anyway. For example Ramos is valued 100m, Vlahovic is valued at 80m. We also have Nunez last season costing Liverpool 80m+. Muani is also valued at 85-100m.
Notice the 2 of those that actually were sold for those crazy fees have been absolutely terrible transfers, even after having a far better goalscoring record prior to joining. €50m for a striker with 8 league goals seems very high to me. Martial has the same goals as him in all competitions. We'd definitely need a Kane or an Osimhen to come in as well to be 1st choice. Anyone getting less than 15 league goals is not ready to be our 1st choice right now. If we could get him for €40m it would probably be worth it as long as it didn't stop us upgrading other areas. The last 2 big money youngsters we signed have been our biggest flops so far in Sancho and Antony. It's very rare that big fees for young players work out imo. The examples that tend to break that trend tend to be absolute superstars like Haaland (and the fee for him was actually ridiculously lower than it should have been even for his level at Dortmund).

Last edited:

L1nk

Just for posterity as well, whilst he may be a huge fan of us we are not the only big club that is interested in this guy. So we can all talk about he will just be a backup we'll do this we'll do that... If this kid has options to be a starter elsewhere, and he will, there's nothing to say he will voluntarily choose to be someone who hardly plays here because we've bought Harry Kane as well.

People are right, he's at that age where he needs to be playing games and we'll just have to accept potential short term loss for longer term gain as he finds his feet with us, then again there's nothing to say that in a team with Bruno etc he will get more chances and score a lot more goals, who knows.

Obviously he's no Kane yet, but even so I would already consider him a vastly better option than Weghorst and vastly more reliable option than Martial which already counts for a lot

We can look at stats all we want but this will just be another case of not bothering to snap him up on the cheap when we could of and instead waiting for some other club to snap him and and trying to prize them away from that club for over double the price a year or two later, and quite frankly i'm sick and tired of that.

Irrational.

Fans: We want Erling Haaland
Glazers: We have Erling Haaland at home

I’m not so sure about this transfer. We need a proven goalscorer. We can’t afford for a young player to bed in. This transfer only makes sense if we sign a much more experienced striker to play alongside him. He is giving me Kasper Dolberg vibes.

PS. Do we know how the last flavour of the month Sesko got this season?

JPRouve

Scout
Notice the 2 of those that actually were sold for those crazy fees have been absolutely terrible transfers, even after having a far better goalscoring record prior to joining. €50m for a striker with 8 league goals seems very high to me. Martial has more league goals than him. We'd definitely need a Kane or an Osimhen to come in as well to be 1st choice. Anyone getting less than 15 league goals is not ready to be our 1st choice right now. If we could get him for €40m it would probably be worth it as long as it didn't stop us upgrading other areas.
That's where context matter, it's 8 league goals in 1700 minutes. While it's a high fee, it's a high fee for a 20 years old striker that has registered the equivalent of 16 goals over 38 games. At the minutes players with more goals are linked with moves that are close to 80m-100m.

Idxomer

I’m not so sure about this transfer. We need a proven goalscorer. We can’t afford for a young player to bed in. This transfer only makes sense if we sign a much more experienced striker to play alongside him. He is giving me Kasper Dolberg vibes.

Looking at his stats, he seems to have finished the season well after an underwhelming few months when he was on the bench a lot.

Dazzmondo

That's where context matter, it's 8 league goals in 1700 minutes. While it's a high fee, it's a high fee for a 20 years old striker that has registered the equivalent of 16 goals over 38 games. At the minutes players with more goals are linked with moves that are close to 80m-100m.
You could make a similar argument with Martial. 6 league goals in 987 mins would be equal to about 20 goals in 38 games. It's rare that players with less mins actually maintain that goalscoring rate as they play more mins. It's a concern that he's already not fully trusted to be 1st choice for a far worse team in Atalanta.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We should be paying £35-40m tops for this guy.
They want £60m for a player they bought for £15m only a while ago. Again, another club taking the fekin piss because we're United.

I really hope that when the new owners come in they change that mentality in other clubs, that were not going to get fleeced just because we're United. We need to start putting more pressure on the players themselves, that we are only going to pay a certain amount and if they want the move to United then they have to play hardball with their club and force the move through. Otherwise we walk.

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
They took the risk that he’d adapt to a top 5 league. We could’ve picked him up for 15m, but we were probably too busy chasing Igahlo or something. I guess that 60m includes their finders fee.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
You could make a similar argument with Martial. 6 league goals in 987 mins would be equal to about 20 goals in 38 games. It's rare that players with less mins actually maintain that goalscoring rate as they play more mins. It's a concern that he's already not fully trusted to be 1st choice for a far worse team in Atalanta.
Yeah, this guy seems very talented but a bet on him is completely about his upside and growth potential, not his current level of production, which is not particularly impressive by any reasonable measure. He had .51 non-penalty goals plus assists per 90, which is 19th in the league and behind strikers like Jovic, Brahim Diaz, Giroud, Berardi, Sanabria, etc. And that is for a side that plays a pretty open, high-intensity style of play by Serie A standards that makes for above league average goal output in general. Good for a 20-year-old but its all about where he goes from here in terms of the growth in his game.

There are a lot of very intriguing young strikers around football in the 18-20 age bracket. I think it is too early to say where Hojlund ranks within that group or which of those players will really develop into top players.

Hojlund
Sesko
Ferguson
Tel
Ekitike
Victor Roque

L1nk

We should be paying £35-40m tops for this guy.
They want £60m for a player they bought for £15m only a while ago. Again, another club taking the fekin piss because we're United.

I really hope that when the new owners come in they change that mentality in other clubs, that were not going to get fleeced just because we're United. We need to start putting more pressure on the players themselves, that we are only going to pay a certain amount and if they want the move to United then they have to play hardball with their club and force the move through. Otherwise we walk.

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
Well the supposed quote is around 55 mill euro's so it's actually not far away from what you say. Other than that he is 20 years old and a rising star, with a contract until 2027, so what you want them to hand this player over to us on a silver platter despite the fact in a season or two he could easily double or triple in price if he continues to trend upwards? Extremely weird mentality, it's like saying we should sell Garnacho for 35-40 mill which i'm 100% sure you would say no we shouldn't.

ROFLUTION

Dolberg is a completely different personality and player type.

But Im in the same boat - he’s not ready to lead the line at United. He’s a talent for sure, but it can go many ways and imo he needs 2 years more of blossoming. Also I think he’ll develop more in a lesser league to be honest.

L1nk

Dolberg is a completely different personality and player type.

But Im in the same boat - he’s not ready to lead the line at United. He’s a talent for sure, but it can go many ways and imo he needs 2 years more of blossoming. Also I think he’ll develop more in a lesser league to be honest.
The reality though surely is in those 2 years he will be bought by some other big team or his price will double/triple, which is what we always seem to wait to happen before we make an approach

Idxomer

Videos remind me a bit of Darwin Nunez. :nervous:
He does hold the ball reasonably well and isn't afraid to get physical with the defenders but you're right that from the videos he seems a bit loose with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.