Raucous in the Caucasus: Intense fighting breaks out between Armenia and Azerbaijan

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Azerbaijan has massed forces along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh and on the border with Armenia over the last few days," Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan told government officials while adding that "the military-political situation in our region has seriously worsened."

Pashinyan said Azerbaijan is "demonstrating its intention to undertake a fresh military provocation against Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia."

Azerbaijan derided Armenia's statements as "yet another false political manipulation."
https://www.dw.com/en/armenia-says-azerbaijan-mobilizing-troops-in-border-regions/a-66744206

ShoePolish

Weird set of teams of countries backing these 2 - You got Turkey and Russia on Azer side, Americans and Iran on Armenian side.
Turkey went as far as to tell Iran not to interfere, or they will enter conflict too, if i remember correctly.
Russians showing their moral compass again, if their political elite survive Ukraine, I've no idea how any self respecting country can make any sort of deals with them.

The Firestarter

Weird set of teams of countries backing these 2 - You got Turkey and Russia on Azer side, Americans and Iran on Armenian side.
Turkey went as far as to tell Iran not to interfere, or they will enter conflict too, if i remember correctly.
Russians showing their moral compass again, if their political elite survive Ukraine, I've no idea how any self respecting country can make any sort of deals with them.
Wasn't Russia in some alliance with Armenia? I don't think you can put them "on the Azer side" that easily.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Wasn't Russia in some alliance with Armenia? I don't think you can put them "on the Azer side" that easily.
Yes, they used to back Armenia, or at least the status quo. Azerbaijan was always much stronger militarily, but Russia's position kept that in check. That's gone now as Russia cannot guarantee anything for Armenia right now.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Looks like Armenia is keeping a cool head about this although it's clear that Azerbaijan tries to provoke a war, which they will win without Russia backing Armenia. Hopefully it stays that way, although some dumb people cry for war.

ShoePolish

Russian peacekeepers are supposedly meant to maintain peace between both.
They didn't interfere much last time Azers went on offensive, so armenians rightly felt hard done by and started distancing from Russia.
Don't know where they stand in that alliance now, but armenians don't want anything to do with russians anymore.

The Firestarter

Russian peacekeepers are supposedly meant to maintain peace between both.
They didn't interfere much last time Azers went on offensive, so armenians rightly felt hard done by and started distancing from Russia.
Don't know where they stand in that alliance now, but armenians don't want anything to do with russians anymore.
Good

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I’d like to thank everyone’s inaction and inability to give a single shred of a feck for allowing this to happen. Appreciate y’all.

Simbo

Yeah looks like Azer are going in to claim the region once and for all. Not much Armenia can do to stop it even if they wanted to and even not wanting to is going to cause turmoil at home.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
This is what happens when you keep pandering to the West who has done and will continue to do nothing for us. Oh well, im sure now all those attempts will pay off.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This is what happens when you keep pandering to the West who has done and will continue to do nothing for us. Oh well, im sure now all those attempts will pay off.
Isn't Armenia in the Collective Security Treaty Organization?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Russia is weak, hollow, and cannot alienate Turkey any more. EU is tied to Azerbaijian - that was one of their new oil suppliers after the Russian invasion. US is tied to Turkey.
History chose the wrong side for Armenia.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why? This has no chance of escalating into anything like that.
But this already is an escalation of the Ukrainian war. If Russia had not moved lots of their peacekeeping troops to fight in Ukraine Azerbaijan would probably not start a new war now.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Well at least a new war was prevented because Armenia kept a cool head. Almost everywhere the Soviet Union was, there is misery and conflicts.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I hope all CSTO members will take note of how Russia is keeping its own promises. Russia is just using them for their own benefit and don't lift a finger, if they don't see any benefit from it. The sooner the members realize that, the sooner they will leave.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
That doesn’t matter when you bat your eyelashes to the West, and the Azeris are now favored under Putin for their ability to push out Russian oil and bypass the blockade. Pashinyan should have learned his lesson, sit down, and stfu. We are irrelevant in the West’s eyes on a geopolitical spectrum, and we will never be allowed into NATO. Just play the cards you’re dealt and stop trying to get new cards from the dealer. Instead we’ll eventually get invaded, the Zanzegur corridor will be established and might as well take the rest of the country while you’re at it.
They've had it easy so far, so they were due for a setback.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Weird how no one gave a crap about this, oh wait the aggressor is a US ally. Makes sense.

Its as if my people's fate is to suffer for all eternity until we are fully wiped out.

Simbo

Weird how no one gave a crap about this, oh wait the aggressor is a US ally. Makes sense.

Its as if my people's fate is to suffer for all eternity until we are fully wiped out.
For those that bother to look up anything about this, they'll just learn of a region that's almost been a perpetual state of dispute and conflict for centuries, see allegations from both sides with no clear goodie or baddie and hear that it is internationally recognised as Azerbaijani territory. War is bad, invasion is bad, but they appear to be invading their own territory? De-occupying? etc.

I know there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic narrative westerners will see so not a lot of people are going to form much of an opinion on it, nevermind a will to do anything about it.

That could change depending on how they treat the Armenian population, or if they show signs of escalating aggression toward Armenia.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That could change depending on how they treat the Armenian population, or if they show signs of escalating aggression toward Armenia.
It’s not like they’ve kept the Armenian population (of Karabach) in blockade for months now, causing food shortages.

Simbo

It’s not like they’ve kept the Armenian population (of Karabach) in blockade for months now, causing food shortages.
Yeah... which has been condemned by the US and others, but that means nothing as we well know.

Simbo

I had a meeting with the
@ICRC
Baku Office and other international partners. Strict observance of the İnternational Humanitarian Law by the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan and by all means, avoiding collateral damage during the local anti-terrorist measures, which lasted 23 hours and 51 minutes, were commended.

As the Prime Minister of Armenia himself admitted, civilians were not harmed. In this regard, unverified and unserious statements by EU, French, and German officials remain incomprehensible. - During the meeting with ICRC, we stated that all necessary conditions are provided and will be provided for the delivery of medicine, food and other goods by ICRC via Lachin-Khankendi and Aghdam-Khankendi roads. - Azerbaijani side is ready to provide medical assistance to wounded servicemen of armenian origin or help them through the ICRC.

Upon the inquiry movement of ICRC medical vehicles is supported to collect wounded military personnel. For this purpose, we are also ready to allocate emergency medical vehicles and provide medical care.
- For medical evacuations to Armenia medical vehicles can also come from Armenia.
- Work is underway with Russian Peacekeepers to collect the bodies of combatants left on the field.
- We support to receive additional personnel from ICRC Geneva Office. We also support sending of additional personnel from the Baku office to Khankendi sub-office.
- On the basis of voluntary and individual choice, we ensure the safety of the movement of civilians with their own vehicles along the Khankendi-Lachin road. Those who want to go are mostly family members of military personnel.
- Military personnel who voluntarily lay down their weapons are free as we openly stated.
- Within the concept of civil-military cooperation, Azerbaijani military and civilian personnel on the ground are helping civilians and will continue to do so.