Ravel Morrison | Sold to West Ham

championo

Top Stalker
Some people here want him to fail really. Let the young man grow up. He is going to make mistakes, hopefully he will grow stronger and wiser from it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
That's crazy. Why would you want to see a talented young player fail, just cos it didn't work out at United?

I admit it would be a bit gutting if he went on to a great career at one of our rivals, but I'd like him to do justice to his talent.
Nothing to do with it not working out at United. Im GLAD he isnt at United, I want him to fail because he is a scummy vile little twat.

Kelvin

thank feck we got rid of this troublemaker then. talent is no use if he doesn't have the brain to think properly.

AVARiCE

Some people here want him to fail really. Let the young man grow up. He is going to make mistakes, hopefully he will grow stronger and wiser from it.
I think the point that people are arguing, rightly or wrongly, is that his mistakes are more than simple "teenage" mistakes. When you add on the fact that he's got an excellent opportunity to progress in life I think it really gets under people's collective skin.

Plenty of people, myself very much included, have made mistakes or done silly things. However, not many of us have had to answer to a judge for those errors. I think it's more frustration than anything -- knowing that someone of that immense talent could throw it all away.

I mean this post in as neutral a way as possible. I'm not hoping for or against his progression at West Ham, just trying to put the overriding opinion through as a coherent point of view that's getting lost amidst vitriol.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Is the word faggot socially acceptable though? I mean I hear people say words like faggot, Fag and similar all the time and don't really think of it as offensive in the same way as say a racial term. Not that it is the right thing to say or whatever, just that it is a pretty commonly used insult such as feck and cnut etc.

Obviously being a footballer he should know better but seems like a non story to me.

December_16

Why is banning your own players from using Twitter such a hard thing to do? It's not as if spending time on such website makes them better players or anything.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Some people need to get a grip. How the feck is his statement homophobic?
It's very easy to see why. Even if we say that the use of the word 'faggot' as an insult on its own is not homophobic, Morrison's use of the word followed an instruction to 'go and suck a dick'. It would be like using a racial pejorative against someone after referencing something associated with that particular racial group. It would be undeniably racist, in the same way that this is undeniably homophobic.

Is the word faggot socially acceptable though? I mean I hear people say words like faggot, Fag and similar all the time and don't really think of it as offensive in the same way as say a racial term. Not that it is the right thing to say or whatever, just that it is a pretty commonly used insult such as feck and cnut etc.

Obviously being a footballer he should know better but seems like a non story to me.
Nobody in the public eye would be able to get away with calling somebody a faggot without having to retract the statement and apologise. The word 'Paki' was a common insult for people to use during the 70s and 80s, but that doesn't mean it wasn't offensive. You could make an argument that the word faggot has lost most of its meaning - 'the Louis CK argument' - but as I said above, Morrison clearly used it to mean homosexual.

Perhaps this shouldn't be a big deal, but it is when it comes at a time when football is making considerable efforts to encourage gay players to feel comfortable in coming out.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's very easy to see why. Even if we say that the use of the word 'faggot' as an insult on its own is not homophobic, Morrison's use of the word followed an instruction to 'go and suck a dick'. It would be like using a racial pejorative against someone after referencing something associated with that particular racial group. It would be undeniably racist, in the same way that this is undeniably homophobic..
Fair enough, I didn't see that way.

RyanGoggs

It's very easy to see why. Even if we say that the use of the word 'faggot' as an insult on its own is not homophobic, Morrison's use of the word followed an instruction to 'go and suck a dick'. It would be like using a racial pejorative against someone after referencing something associated with that particular racial group. It would be undeniably racist, in the same way that this is undeniably homophobic.

Nobody in the public eye would be able to get away with calling somebody a faggot without having to retract the statement and apologise. The word 'Paki' was a common insult for people to use during the 70s and 80s, but that doesn't mean it wasn't offensive. You could make an argument that the word faggot has lost most of its meaning - 'the Louis CK argument' - but as I said above, Morrison clearly used it to mean homosexual.

Perhaps this shouldn't be a big deal, but it is when it comes at a time when football is making considerable efforts to encourage gay players to feel comfortable in coming out.
I admit it was stupid to say but probably 99 percent of the Caf has made anti gay remarks on this forum. I'm sure very few have used racial abuse without being banned. Double standards?

Surely it is only homophobic if the guy he was responding to is actually gay?

Steev

I admit it was stupid to say but probably 99 percent of the Caf has made anti gay remarks on this forum. I'm sure very few have used racial abuse without being banned. Double standards?

Implying that someone is gay and then calling them a "faggot" is as homophobic as it gets.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

No, I think that "faggot" has not been accepted by polite society in the way that "fag", "queer", "bender" and "sausage jockey" have. "Faggot" still retains a hateful edge in my view.

sparky

No, I think that "faggot" has not been accepted by polite society in the way that "fag", "queer", "bender" and "sausage jockey" have. "Faggot" still retains a hateful edge in my view.
aye, with my gay male friends they would not be as offended by queer as they would by faggot.Words they say to each other such as queer, poof would still be seen as offensive if said by someone who is not gay, however. As far as I now they never say 'faggot' to each other even in a jokey way.

sparky

Anti gay remarks should not be tolerated in this day and age. There was a newbie that got banned for making comments. That said, I think sometimes people write comments that they don't believe are homophobic, but are. I would say if a third person found it offensive, even if who he said to did not, it is still homophobic. Much like reporting of racism. Would you call a friend who is white a 'paki'?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

If anyone used that word in that context on the caf they'd be banned.

204Red

aye, with my gay male friends they would not be as offended by queer as they would by faggot.Words they say to each other such as queer, poof would still be seen as offensive if said by someone who is not gay, however. As far as I now they never say 'faggot' to each other even in a jokey way.
Faggot still retains its venom in the gay world... apparently its quite an insult for one gay male to angrily call another gay male a faggot.

It is not like the N-word, which is often used in a familiar manner by black people with each other (... and not by Luis Suarez)... throw faggot out there and you are raising the temperature of the conversation.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
For football players, saying something on twitter is the same as saying it at a press conference in the team shirt next to your manager.

Because in the press it will be quoted just the same.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I agree. South Park say fag a lot. They don't use faggot because fag is something kids use to rip on each other whilst faggot is always derogatory. It even sounds mean.

RedLars

Well fag means loud and obnoxious Harley bikers anyways, so I don't know why you're discussing that in this context?

RyanGoggs

If anyone used that word in that context on the caf they'd be banned.
Fair enough I'm just sure ive seen words like that float around on the Caf, as an example Randall Flaggs temporary name change. How does anyone know if he OS really homosexual and if he is then surely it is offensive (just an example of how its impossible to know someone's sexual preferences on an internet forum)