Reaction of the fans to Moyes' struggles

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I keep hearing how there's dissent, and how this poor run is weeding out all of the spoilt fans.

It may just be me, but I think the reaction of the fans has been very positive, on the whole.

Sure, there are eejits out there in the fan base, but that was the case when we were the best team in the world - anyone on the Caf in 07/08 will attest to that.

Yes, there was a smattering of boos after the Albion game, but that was a very transient thing and was vastly outweighed by all the fans that stayed behind to applaud. The away following continues to do us proud, being the best in the country.

Even on here, yes, there's grumbles, but I have been impressed by the level of sensible debate and constructive criticism that has been waged.

We're only 8 games in to the league season, so if it continues to go tits up, maybe things will sour. But as things stand, I think United's fans have generally reacted well to this downturn.

What has your experience been based on fans you've spoken to/come into contact with?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I've spoken to a few fans and the general reaction is "i never wanted him in the first place! but a few weeks ago they were saying we need to get behind him etc.

It seems a few have made their mind up and whatever he does wont make a difference.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
All you need to do is listen in to the callers on mutv to see what the fans think of him. Of course a few fans on mutv doesn't represent for the vast majority but still.

Personally, I still get just as excited for the next united match even if we're not getting results and that won't change for me.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I've been surprised at how many fans seem willing to settle for mediocrity and lack any sort of ambition. This is the most important period for the club in a long time, and some people are showing staggering complacency under the guise of patience and faith.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I've been surprised at how many fans seem willing to settle for mediocrity and lack any sort of ambition. This is the most important period for the club in a long time, and some people are showing staggering complacency under the guise of patience and faith.

:lol:

Sorry, I always find it funny when there's talk of fans being 'complacent'.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I've spoken to a few fans and the general reaction is "i never wanted him in the first place! but a few weeks ago they were saying we need to get behind him etc.

It seems a few have made their mind up and whatever he does wont make a difference.

There's nowt wrong with saying, "he wasn't my choice." I personally wanted Mourinho. But as you allude to with your second point, it's important to judge Moyes on his performance now he's here, and not based on preconceptions. Sure, it's not going great at the moment, but he's 8 league games into his career. Arsene Wenger has gone 8 years without a trophy before things have started to come together.

Fergus' son

Yeah, a lot of this.

The amount of fans that want him sacked already is pretty staggering, and the fact that they even consider it a possibility at this moment in time just shows a distinct lack of awareness about the traditions of the club, how it's run, SAFs influence etc.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I don't think it's a case of happily settling for mediocrity. It's more accepting that we may have to set our sights lower in the short term. We are adjusting to an unprecedented change; that's naturally going to lead to teething problems.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yep. I remember his conferences and everything him saying being scrutinised.

Edit: Agree with pocco above, too.

Nickosaur

There's a difference between settling for mediocrity/lacking ambition, and having patience and the sense to realise that there was never going to be a seamless transition after the SAF era.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
It may just be me, but I think the reaction of the fans has been very positive, on the whole.
I had always held the Caf in high regard in terms of fan opinions and the quality of discussion in terms of level headedness. Post SAF retiring has completely altered my perspective and has shown some people out to be moany twats.

I am sure it will calm down at the end of the season in one way or another but it's a bit insufferable at the moment.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think the OP is seriously downplaying the complete meltdown that the majority of our supporters are currently displaying. It's been absolutely unbearable to listen to/read.

I've honestly not seen this...

I'm a regular on Twitter and the reactions of those I follow has been strongly supportive - perhaps I just follow intelligent fans.

I think the Caf has been pretty supportive too, as it happens.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
We all knew there was going to be a transition period. It still is a hard pill to swallow when we've become so used to winning. If we can't finish top 3 at the end of the season then it is a major concern. It is a concern even now but as someone said I'm still excited for the next game Moyes it's also learning every game what he should out shouldn't do and if he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again then there's only one option really.

MikeUpNorth

I don't think it's a case of happily settling for mediocrity. It's more accepting that we may have to set our sights lower in the short term. We are adjusting to an unprecedented change; that's naturally going to lead to teething problems.
Obviously we can't expect to be as successful in the next couple of years as we have been in the past couple of decades, but some people have been willing to accept dropping out of the top four or worse. That's mental.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I had always held the Caf in high regard in terms of fan opinions and the quality of discussion in terms of level headedness. Post SAF retiring has completely altered my perspective and has shown some people out to be moany twats.

I am sure it will calm down at the end of the season in one way or another but it's a bit insufferable at the moment.

Sure, but as I keep saying, you're going to get your fair share of weapons whether we're top of the world or in the gutter. I've been sat on the Caf all day, and it's been full of excellent, balanced debate. I've not seen much senseless knee-jerking at all. Am I looking in the wrong threads?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He gets his name sung in almost every match. Its fair to say the majority (atleast the majority of matchgoing reds) are behind him.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Obviously we can't expect to be as successful in the next couple of years as we have been in the past couple of decades, but some people have been willing to accept dropping out of the top four or worse. That's mental.

I agree with you there. But talk of dropping outside the top four is nuts. We've got too much nous in our squad not to get our act together and get Champions League football. Over the last few years, Arsenal have had far more harrowing spells than we're currently having, and they always get in to the top four.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He gets his name sung in almost every match. Its fair to say the majority are behind him.

That's what I mean. The match going fans have been excellent. We shouldn't place as much emphasis of the reactions of people on forums/Twitter, in my opinion.

MikeUpNorth

I agree with you there. But talk of dropping outside the top four is nuts. We've got too much nous in our squad not to get our act together and get Champions League football. Over the last few years, Arsenal have had far more harrowing spells than we're currently having, and they always get in to the top four.
Arsenal have Arsene Wenger as manager though.

Fergus' son

What constitutes 'accepting dropping out of the top four'? Not wanting him sacked?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Sure, but as I keep saying, you're going to get your fair share of weapons whether we're top of the world or in the gutter. I've been sat on the Caf all day, and it's been full of excellent, balanced debate. I've not seen much senseless knee-jerking at all. Am I looking in the wrong threads?
Fair enough. But there have been a few major embarrassments in the summer i.e. the Woodward thread off the top of my head. Funny, but genuinely embarrassing. Some people can't be pleased. It's easy to sit at a terminal and write out everything that is wrong when you aren't the one having to fix it.

I said in the other thread the fans need to start being the fans and let the manager be the manager. We can't change it. Only 26 people are in charge of their fate.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think a lot of fans were worried with Moyes being chosen as the one to replace SAF so a lot of them prepared themselves psycholgically for the initial struggles. The negative reactions (justified or unjustified) haven't been as bad as I thought they could be.

alastair

ignorant
The only worry I'd have is really that Moyes looks like he's aged about 20 years since getting the job. The stress looks to be getting to him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty much agree with the OP. All the United fans I know just kind of shrug their shoulders and say "we'll see what happens". They're not exactly saying Moyes is the messiah but then they were never totally convinced by his appointment either. They actually seem fairly calm about it at the moment.

The only places I've noticed any kind of meltdown is a) radio phone ins and b) the caf. Radio phone ins are always stupid and the posters calling for Moyes' head here are in the minority. In fairness, things could be a lot worse.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Oh shut up, Mike. There's nobody who watched us last year who didn't know we had a job ahead of us this season no matter who came in. I'd be interested to hear your definition of complacency. Last years title was a bonus considering the level of performance we reached. Only difference now is we're not getting the breaks. Moyes needs to get to know his players, decide who he wants at his side for the battles to come and put together a coherent plan for the next couple of transfer windows. In the meantime, he's given youth a chance and tied Adnan down to a new contract. Of course he deserves patience. What the feck did people expect to happen?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All you need to do is listen in to the callers on mutv to see what the fans think of him. Of course a few fans on mutv doesn't represent for the vast majority but still.

Personally, I still get just as excited for the next united match even if we're not getting results and that won't change for me.
Don't you think a lot are older fans who can remember the bad times and are worried it might happen again, younger fans will be thinking it couldn't get that bad, but it did. Not that I think it will, but you can understand some being worried.

LR7

The fans who knew nothing but United under Fergie were always going to struggle a bit, a massive security blanket has gone. Personally I think the whole 'weeding out' thing is rubbish. I doubt we will lose any significant number of fans if we carry on being a big poor for a while. The rate of growth might slow down but I doubt any established fans will run off and support Chelsea and City as suggested.
I think most of the criticism has been levelled, not hysterical, but even Fergie got criticised after a poor substitution or a poor game so I don't think its unfair or unusual.

humdinger

Some reactions have been a bit OTT for sure. But ultimately those fans just want the team to do well and are disappointed and venting. I can understand that. It's human nature that when faced with a disappointing situation people will react differently - some are keeping a better lid on it than others but that doesn't mean that the others are wrong in what they're saying.

For what it's worth Moyes wasn't my first choice either (i am hugely sentimental and wanted Ole) and I think he's struggling badly - worse than I expected - but I think he will turn it around. It just may be a bit painful waiting for that to happen.

Fergus' son

The fans who knew nothing but United under Fergie were always going to struggle a bit, a massive security blanket has gone. Personally I think the whole 'weeding out' thing is rubbish. I doubt we will lose any significant number of fans if we carry on being a big poor for a while. The rate of growth might slow down but I doubt any established fans will run off and support Chelsea and City as suggested.
I think most of the criticism has been levelled, not hysterical, but even Fergie got criticised after a poor substitution or a poor game so I don't think its unfair or unusual.
Not go off and support Chelsea, they just won't give a feck about utd anymore.

MikeUpNorth

Oh shut up, Mike. There's nobody who watched us last year who didn't know we had a job ahead of us this season no matter who came in. I'd be interested to hear your definition of complacency. Last years title was a bonus considering the level of performance we reached. Only difference now is we're not getting the breaks. Moyes needs to get to know his players, decide who he wants at his side for the battles to come and put together a coherent plan for the next couple of transfer windows. In the meantime, he's given youth a chance and tied Adnan down to a new contract. Of course he deserves patience. What the feck did people expect to happen?
That isn't the difference. The difference is the mentality.

Devil may care

I didn't know anyone who thought he was a good choice outside of this board and I find him completely uninspiring in his interviews and press conferences, but there's nothing we can do about it so most of us are just ready for the long haul, maybe he'll prove us wrong or we'll end up with a new manger, whichever I don't see the Glazers letting things sink to Liverpool levels.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Don't you think a lot are older fans who can remember the bad times and are worried it might happen again, younger fans will be thinking it couldn't get that bad, but it did. Not that I think it will, but you can understand some being worried.
Yeah but I don't think it's a case that we will go back there. It's only 8 games in, if we're far off the mark by January then ill panic. I don't expect us to win the league this year the way things are going, but I still feel confident that Moyes can turn it around. He's inherited a great squad, it's just a shame he didn't get to sort out the midfield problem and Fellaini hasn't looked the part yet.

MikeUpNorth

Whose mentality? And different in what way?
I said it after the last ten minutes of the Chelsea game where we settled for the draw and it's carried on since then. It's a scared mentality that I suspect has its roots in the dugout.

Glanville95

I'm still backing him, although I'd be lying if I said I was confident of him turning things around and being a success here. I agree with Genius that no matter how shit we are doing or look, I always relish the next match.

If we were to finish below fourth he should go though, that's not an agenda against him, but anyone that manages to take the champions of any country to outside the Champions League places the following season, doesn't deserve patience or the right to prove himself. It works both ways, he has to prove he is up to the standard required at a club as big as Manchester United.