Real Madrid v Liverpool build up

Who do you want to win?

• Real Madrid

• Real Madrid

• Liverpool(posters choosing this will be automatically banned)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The saving grace is, the game will be played in neutral area. I think there will be more Madrid 'fans' than Liverpool's, and their away form is 50% win.

Retrokicks

Madrid have three more fixtures to play before the final whereas Liverpool only have one with a two-week break to the final thereafter. I think this point is something which will have a great bearing on the preparations for the final. Liverpool having such a lengthy gap before they play Madrid in such a huge game is far from ideal. Two full weeks of physical and mental preparations with nothing occupying your mindset other than the Champions League Final... that kind of obsessive behaviour will have a big impact on a group of players who are not accustomed to playing in and dealing with massive fixtures with so much at stake.

Madrid, old hands at this stage of the competition, have plenty to keep them occupied for the next three weeks and I suspect their run-in to Kiev will be a lot more relaxed and 'natural' to them. Anyone who has played any sort of sport at any sort of level will agree that a two-week run-in to a fixture/competition with nothing else to distract you is not a wholly ideal scenario, particularly if you're not used to dealing with those conditions. Liverpool tend to look ring-rusty after (international) breaks too so that's another issue Klopp will have to cope with, all without Buvac, too.
Good observation and one which could definitely play a part in Liverpool starting like a man who's just joined a pub crawl group (after they've been going at it for 2 hours). I imagine they will come out of the blocks, knocking back shot after shot of the weak stuff, whilst Real soak it up and spring with some real quality, full bodied, strong shots, only for Liverpool to look on in disbelief, knowing they're all but powerless in preventing the inevitable collapse.

The only thing which is slightly worrying (IMHO) is that most people are writing Liverpool off, that could be the worst thing to happen (assuming you want Liverpool to lose).

rm4eva

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it will play out this way ...
0-15 minutes: All out Liverpool attack, Madrid soaking up the pressure, Liverpool with shots from a distance, 1-2 saves by Navas
16-30 minutes: Madrid take control of the match, Madrid midfield grows into the match, 1-2 shots on goal by Madrid
31-45 minutes: Liverpool start rushing into tackles and commit stupid fouls, Madrid score from a set piece
45-60 minutes: Madrid start out slow and are faffing about with the ball, Liverpool seize initiative but can't score because Salah/Mane/Firminho are all rushing into their shots
60-75 minutes: Liverpool's legs give up, Madrid's midfield start dominating again, at least 1 sub by Zidane
75-90 minutes: Liverpool going all out, Liverpool players are tiring, Madrid score on the counter
Final score 2-0, marking the end of an era for this Madrid side. Ronaldo rushes towards Klopp, takes off his shirt, poses like a bodybuilder and shouts "cinco vezes, cinco vezes, cinco vezes!"

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
You think? I guess you didn't know then, that Phil Neal won 8 league titles and 4 european cups?
Ok, Neal won 1 more European Cup, they will probablly be tied in 2 weeks.

Neal has 4 more Leagues.

Marcelo has 2 more European Supercups.

Marcelo has 3 more Club World Cups.

Marcelo has won a Confederations Cup with his NT.

Marcelo has won the Olympics with his NT.

Let's say they are more less on par, and Marcelo still has a lot more years remaining at top level. But some people here say it is ridiculous to thing he will be one of the GOATS in his position after he retires. :confused:

SirAF

Ageist
0-15 minutes: All out Liverpool attack, Madrid soaking up the pressure, Liverpool with shots from a distance, 1-2 saves by Navas
16-30 minutes: Madrid take control of the match, Madrid midfield grows into the match, 1-2 shots on goal by Madrid
31-45 minutes: Liverpool start rushing into tackles and commit stupid fouls, Madrid score from a set piece
45-60 minutes: Madrid start out slow and are faffing about with the ball, Liverpool seize initiative but can't score because Salah/Mane/Firminho are all rushing into their shots
60-75 minutes: Liverpool's legs give up, Madrid's midfield start dominating again, at least 1 sub by Zidane
75-90 minutes: Liverpool going all out, Liverpool players are tiring, Madrid score on the counter
Final score 2-0, marking the end of an era for this Madrid side. Ronaldo rushes towards Klopp, takes off his shirt, poses like a bodybuilder and shouts "cinco vezes, cinco vezes, cinco vezes!"
:drool:

Suhail

I'm desperate to see us win it. Having never been able to watch us in a European Cup Final either on TV or live, I'm really excited to see us in one and hopefully we'll get the job done.

That said, I'm just proud that we're even in contention. Who'd have thought that this thread would even be a thing back in August when we were busy trying to qualify for the competitin in the first place. This Liverpool team is great fun to watch, nerve wracking as hell but I wouldn't swap it for anything right now.

The fact that we're in a final against Real Madrid and no one can actually call the result shows how far we've come as a team. Can' wait for the 26th and win or lose, we go into next season in much better shape that we started this one.
We are all with you, this is the first time RM are facing an English club in the knockout stages in the last 4 years, hopefully you guys don't bottle and they have never faced Barca either during this period. I am not the biggest Liverpool fan, I've always had a soft spot for United but everything goes out of the door when you face RM.

MUFC OK

The biggest issue with this Liverpool side is that they play very one dimensional. Klopp's gegenpressing style means that the fighters in the midfield must quickly recover the ball and pass it (with one touch if possible) to the front three.. In the lightning like counter attack and with a lot of free space behind opposition defenders its really easy for forwards to shine in that system. However that is also a major flow because when the opposition team defends deep and lets Liverpool to have the ball they literally dont know what to do with it. Real Madrid on the other hand are a team capable to play equally good when they have the ball and when they dont. Usually in the first half Zidane prefers to be more cautious and i expect in the final Madrid to play exactly like Chelsea today.. If the result is good enough in the second half Zidane will push his players to move forward and to control the ball more - exactly at the time when Liverpool will be perhaps desperate to attack.. I predict an easy win for Madrid.
100% agree with this. Liverpool are devastating if you play into their hands, i.e. with a high line leaving space in behind. In general this season whenever teams have sat back against them and forced them to think of another way to break a team down, they have looked lost.

So in conclusion, I only see Liverpool winning it if RM play into their hands. I think the likes of Porto, City, Roma have looked at Liverpool and thought they could outplay them, leaving themselves exposed and ultimately getting destroyed by pace in the space left in behind. If Madrid sit back and show the respect that this Liverpool team deserves, they should win it comfortably. However, I don't have great confidence that they will approach the game differently to City, Roma.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
100% agree with this. Liverpool are devastating if you play into their hands, i.e. with a high line leaving space in behind. In general this season whenever teams have sat back against them and forced them to think of another way to break a team down, they have looked lost.

So in conclusion, I only see Liverpool winning it if RM play into their hands. I think the likes of Porto, City, Roma have looked at Liverpool and thought they could outplay them, leaving themselves exposed and ultimately getting destroyed by pace in the space left in behind. If Madrid sit back and show the respect that this Liverpool team deserves, they should win it comfortably. However, I don't have great confidence that they will approach the game differently to City, Roma.
That post reaks of fear. "The great Real Madrid better change the way THEY play or they'll be fecked".

We might not win but this period of bum squeaking is :drool::cool::angel:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The arrogance is dripping off the Scousers' posts in this thread. There is no giddiness like Scouse giddiness - it's wonderful to see. Hopefully they'll retreat under their rocks - where they've been for an age until recently, it seems - come the end of May. ;)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The arrogance is dripping off the Scousers' posts in this thread. There is no giddiness like Scouse giddiness - it's wonderful to see. Hopefully they'll retreat under their rocks - where they've been for an age until recently, it seems - come the end of May. ;)
I've seen barely any arrogance so far tbh. We are underdogs but definitely have a decent chance to beat them as well, that's just how it is. They do not look as strong as they did during previous campaigns, regardless of the opposition they beat to get to the final.

MUFC OK

That post reaks of fear. "The great Real Madrid better change the way THEY play or they'll be fecked".

We might not win but this period of bum squeaking is :drool::cool::angel:
Haha fair enough, obviously I want you to win as much as you wanted United to beat Barcelona in 2009, 2011. However, I'm just calling it as I see it. I haven't seen Liverpool break down a team that has sat back all season. And to clarify, if RM deploy similar tactics to City and Roma I expect you will win. I imagine they won't be quite as suicidal.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Lol what arrogance ? I'm genuinely bricking it given how completely out of gas we look.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I think it will play out this way ...
Final score 2-0, marking the end of an era for this Madrid side. Ronaldo rushes towards Klopp, takes off his shirt, shows his United under shirt, poses like a bodybuilder and shouts "cinco vezes, cinco vezes, cinco vezes, la!"
Fixed, other than that, I like it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You're only seeing strawmen arrogance of your own making. :) I didn't expect to beat City or Roma and I don't expect to beat Real. Our flow (i.e. Salah's goals) has been disrupted and we don't really play well when he doesn't. Maybe the two week rest will help him. If it doesn't then Real have too many options to finish us off (Ronaldo, Marcelo, Isco, Asensio, Bale and Benzema).

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ok, Neal won 1 more European Cup, they will probablly be tied in 2 weeks.

Neal has 4 more Leagues.

Marcelo has 2 more European Supercups.

Marcelo has 3 more Club World Cups.

Marcelo has won a Confederations Cup with his NT.

Marcelo has won the Olympics with his NT.

Let's say they are more less on par, and Marcelo still has a lot more years remaining at top level. But some people here say it is ridiculous to thing he will be one of the GOATS in his position after he retires. :confused:
Marcelo is already an all time great, personally I think he's better than Roberto Carlos ever was.

Biji.Kelot

No Anfield benefit for Liverpool. That is the biggest factor.

Exclude City and their group games, they were just a decent team playing away. The recent game against Chelsea added that fact.

If unmotivated wing backs, like Alonso and Moses could contain Salah and Mane, how in the hell, Marcelo and Carvajal can not do the same. And Firmino needs to transform into Suarez mould just to shake Varane and Ramos.

And after 2 unscoring games, it is clear that actually not that hard to contain Salah attacking move.

Salah trade mark is cutting to the left and curl it to the corner. Many times, he did that, but recent games, teams already have the answers.

The only thing can beat RM, is their big ego. On the paper, Liverpool chance to win will be no less than 25%.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
While that maybe correct, don't you think Roma's absolute fecked up tactic of playing a high line and allowing Salah so much space played a very huge part in you taking them apart, in 1st leg, and don't you think more seasoned team wouldn't go all gung-ho against your team.
Maybe, but I don't think Madrid will go into a CL final and sit eleven men in their half. The same way Roma thought they could come and try to impose themselves, Madrid will.

'Parking the bus' isn't really something you see often in the CL - teams have confidence in their own ability.

Last edited:

hubbuh

L’pool’s record against big teams (first game against City aside) is surely cause for alarm. It’s a one off game ‘an all that, but do they have the big game nous to see off Madrid? Salah will obviously be targeted, just wonder whether Mane and Firminho have enough about them to put Madrid to the sword.

RedDevil@84

Maybe, but I don't think Madrid will go into a CL final and sit eleven men in their half. The same way Roma thought they could come and try to impose themselves, Madrid will.

'Parking the bus' isn't really something you see often in the CL - teams have confidence in their own ability.
You misunderstand. The opposite of gung-ho football is not park the bus. You could still attack while taking out key members of the opposition. The tactics used differ from team to team. On the paper I don't think Liverpool look better than Real in midfield or in defense. Pool might need to bring out their best football of the season to defeat Real.
I agree with your first statement that Liverpool have more chance than they had in the '05 finals. I just disagree with your other statement that Real haven't shown much in this season. Defeating PSG, Juve and Bayern in 3 knockouts is no small task. Yes, it helped them that Bayern were terrible in the final 3rd, but still they had a good run IMO

Last edited:

Minimalist

I'll say this much, they've got a better chance of winning than Marseille does in the EL final.

Still think Madrid will do the business.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You misunderstand. The opposite of gung-ho football is not park the bus. You could still attack while taking out key members of the opposition. The tactics used differ from team to team. On the paper I don't think Liverpool look better than Real in midfield or in defense. Pool might need to bring out their best football of the season to defeat Real.
I agree with your first statement that Liverpool have more chance than they had in the '05 finals.
This 2005 logic that Scousers are clinging to means absolutely nothing in isolation when discussing the merits of their 2018 team's chances. That 2005 final was a freak result never likely to be repeated again. Milan got complacent after pulverising Liverpool in the first half and got done inside six second-half minutes. Even after that, and all through extra-time, Milan looked the likely winners but Dudek made some miraculous, career-best saves.

Also, this Madrid side are as ruthless as they come at this level and should they take the lead at any stage, I wouldn't take Liverpool turning the deficit over at any odds based on their fragile mentality and Klopp's ineptitude at changing the course of the game in his team's favour when things go against them.

RedDevil@84

Also, this Madrid side are as ruthless as they come at this level
Yes. But they put up a bad performance in the semis and owe a lot to poor finishing by Bayern, which leads people to believe there is a chance.
Pool are not Bayern. They will put it in the net if they are given a chance

PaulScholes99

United really fecked up on Friday night. Had we won and Brighton still needed points at Anfield to survive, it would be a far more nervy affair. As it stands, the Scousers will coast to a win by at least three goals. Hughton, if he has any professional integrity, should threaten any Brighton player with the sack should they not perform next weekend. :D
Thought about that also but it is not true. Brighton would have 37 if we had won against them. Swansea and Southampton 33. They play against each other tonight. When one team will win Brighton would be save. When it is an x southampton would have a little chance to get in front of them but Swansea, with -26 goal difference? 12 goals? Ok, lets say we would have won 3-0, so it would only be 8 goals. Not really realistic :D

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes. But they put up a bad performance in the semis and owe a lot to poor finishing by Bayern, which leads people to believe there is a chance.
Pool are not Bayern. They will put it in the net if they are given a chance
Pool are not Bayern, Real will have far more chances to score

Decipher

Honestly I thin Liverpool are going to take it. Don't want either of them to win but it could go either way.

Morpheus 7

I wonder how much Ramadan is going to effect Mane and Salah. I find it fascinating, I know Real have Benzema and maybe others but huge players for them. I know the Liverpool players will be up for this and may not be a factor, if this game went to extra time it's bound to have an impact in my opinion. Real have the squad to make huge substitutes unlike Liverpool. Liverpool do have great momentum in this competition. They really have been good goalwise, you have to give them credit. They have had a very brave approach to go at teams. I just wonder if lack of experience in a CL final will make them apprehensive. You can't judge other games Liverpool have played to this, a final against the reigning Champions in Kiev is a little different. It's not over 2 with the first leg at Anfield, huge difference.

I think the experience will get Real over the line in this. Liverpool's best chance is to go at them hard at the start. Get the goal and try and counter them on the break. Easier said than done I know, will be an interesting game. Isolating Salah and Mane is key for Real, it stops the pace of there play. At Old Trafford, United cut them off and they were lackluster. That said we camped second half. Nobody will be as naive as Roma, playing a kamikaze line at Anfield. Any team that concedes 7 over two legs shouldn't be in a Semi final of anything. I would give Liverpool credit for scoring them more but they conceded 6. When United played Real in the Super Cup, they looked a huge level above us. If both teams are playing to full potential, I'd say Real would beat them. There is always an opportunity of madness from Ramos, Lovren or even Karius. Anybody can win a final, Liverpool in 2005 and United in 99 showed that. I would be lying if I said wasn't worried, Liverpool will have a huge chance to win this. I'm hoping the experience of Real can do it. Them scousers with the palm saying 5 times, they will need to grow another thumb.

dmode

Just thought about the scene that Joker comes and blow the shit out of them like in the Dark Knight, where Ronaldo remains on that small untouched plot of grass and has to be transferred back to United.

Joke apart (hmmm), may the best win, have we not lost stupidly against Sevilla we would have been not that far from the final, it's all our fault, especially those fat cnut not wearing our shirts with pride.

Dr. StrangeHate

Marcelo is already an all time great, personally I think he's better than Roberto Carlos ever was.
This will seem heresy to you but I think he deserves the Balon d'Or as much as Ronaldo if real win. Every time I have watched Real this season he has been the most important player.

Pace Abuser

Football is not linear. Had Bayer put away a chance earlier on, Madrid would have tactically adjusted and played with a different mindset.

Putting a chance away would not have been the only change, with the rest of the game playing out exactly as it did.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
No arrogance from the mainstay scousers on here. Quite a bit from the scouse newbies we've had with the recent influx though, but that is probably cnuts from RAWK signing up in the remote chance they'll topple Madrid.

Posh Red

I wonder how much Ramadan is going to effect Mane and Salah. I find it fascinating, I know Real have Benzema and maybe others but huge players for them. I know the Liverpool players will be up for this and may not be a factor, if this game went to extra time it's bound to have an impact in my opinion. Real have the squad to make huge substitutes unlike Liverpool. Liverpool do have great momentum in this competition. They really have been good goalwise, you have to give them credit. They have had a very brave approach to go at teams. I just wonder if lack of experience in a CL final will make them apprehensive. You can't judge other games Liverpool have played to this, a final against the reigning Champions in Kiev is a little different. It's not over 2 with the first leg at Anfield, huge difference.

I think the experience will get Real over the line in this. Liverpool's best chance is to go at them hard at the start. Get the goal and try and counter them on the break. Easier said than done I know, will be an interesting game. Isolating Salah and Mane is key for Real, it stops the pace of there play. At Old Trafford, United cut them off and they were lackluster. That said we camped second half. Nobody will be as naive as Roma, playing a kamikaze line at Anfield. Any team that concedes 7 over two legs shouldn't be in a Semi final of anything. I would give Liverpool credit for scoring them more but they conceded 6. When United played Real in the Super Cup, they looked a huge level above us. If both teams are playing to full potential, I'd say Real would beat them. There is always an opportunity of madness from Ramos, Lovren or even Karius. Anybody can win a final, Liverpool in 2005 and United in 99 showed that. I would be lying if I said wasn't worried, Liverpool will have a huge chance to win this. I'm hoping the experience of Real can do it. Them scousers with the palm saying 5 times, they will need to grow another thumb.
I just read an interview where Salah mentions how he struggled whilst fasting during preseason at Chelsea. Unable to even drink water until half nine at night playing in the heat. Sounds very tough.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I just read an interview where Salah mentions how he struggled whilst fasting during preseason at Chelsea. Unable to even drink water until half nine at night playing in the heat. Sounds very tough.
Completely different situations. Pre season is extended during time, we're talking about one CL final, one game, one night. I have no doubt Mané and Salah will eat and drink normally just for that special occasion and catch up on it after the holy month is over.

Football is not linear. Had Bayer put away a chance earlier on, Madrid would have tactically adjusted and played with a different mindset.

Putting a chance away would not have been the only change, with the rest of the game playing out exactly as it did.
Too much sense in your post. I laugh at the simple minded people who see football as a simple game of adding and substracting goals with taking into account how the teams would react.

El Pasillo

I wonder how much Ramadan is going to effect Mane and Salah. I find it fascinating, I know Real have Benzema and maybe others but huge players for them.
Benzema is the only Muslim player fpr Real Madrid and will most likely play as a starter in CL-final.

Ok, they've Achraf but Zidane doesn't rate him anymore. Hell, he even picked Lucas Vazquez as a RB against Bayern when Nacho & Carvajal were injured.

D. Mungai

Liverpool away from home are disastrous. Only City CL away they managed something. Outside of Anfield Liverpool are not soo strong but Madrid needs a gameplan. Zidane to earn his dues.

Btw, since Zidane took over Madrid have not been knocked out of champions league. Quite compelling

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ridiculous post. I don’t think I’ve seen a single Liverpool fan in this thread say that we’re going to win it. We all know we’re huge underdogs.

To simply write us off entirely as though beating this Madrid side is impossible (something Spurs have already done this season) is daft though.

Surely you didn’t go into that 2011 final against Barcelona thinking you had no chance?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool away from home are disastrous. Only City CL away they managed something. Outside of Anfield Liverpool are not soo strong but Madrid needs a gameplan. Zidane to earn his dues.

Btw, since Zidane took over Madrid have not been knocked out of champions league. Quite compelling
We beat Porto and Maribor away, scoring 12 and conceding none. In Europe we’ve been ok away from home.

D. Mungai

We beat Porto and Maribor away, scoring 12 and conceding none. In Europe we’ve been ok away from home.
Porto and Maribor, with all due respect compare to PSG, Juve and Bayern Away not that Madrid are finished article they are beatable but Madrid seem to perform so well away from Bernabeu. But Liverpool are worthy finalist and competitor.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Some people dismiss big results if the opposing teams are not the best around, but I've always thought it's very hard to consistently score many goals, no matter the quality of the rival. That implies strenghts not everyone possesses

Porto away was very impressive as well. I'd rather focus on the difference of intensity between the first and second legs. It's normal to lose some in the second game of each round if the advantage is considerable, as it happened in Roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.