Redcafe Snooker

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Inconvenient for the players involved but it’s been great publicity for the snooker. Protesters are annoying but they bring the headlines in a way a match between Robert Milkins and Joe Perry never could.

ChrisNelson

I'm not sure how many people have seen the incident and thought oh yeah I suddenly want to watch snooker again.

I suspect you could probably count them on one hand.

I certainly wouldn't say someone pouring powder on a table is great publicity for the sport.

Wilt

Got a feeling they’ll be targeting more sporting events, Open Golf, Wimbledon, FA cup….

ChrisNelson

Got a feeling they’ll be targeting more sporting events, Open Golf, Wimbledon, FA cup….
Absolutely, will be a campaign now for a good while.

Away from sport, I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near working on security for the Coronation. That will be a huge target.

Ainu

In all seriousness, it's all a bit silly. A ruined snooker table and inconvenienced sports people and viewers is not the end of the world, but I can't say I support that sort of thing either. Next they might go and, I don't know, destroy greens during a golf tournament or something. It's all fairly tame but also pointless destruction of property at the same time.

poleglass red

does anyone know what typically happens to these people. Do they get a slap on the wrist and sent on their way.

ChrisNelson

The guy that threw the powder over the table I think has already been arrested multiple times before, but astonishingly remains on his course at Exeter University.

He went to prison after blocking an oil terminal but not sure for how long.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
In all seriousness, it's all a bit silly. A ruined snooker table and inconvenienced sports people and viewers is not the end of the world, but I can't say I support that sort of thing either. Next they might go and, I don't know, destroy greens during a golf tournament or something. It's all fairly tame but also pointless destruction of property at the same time.
Unlike football and most sports. If you effect the table in Snooker it's hard to repair it. That's not fair on the paying and viewing audience.

Last edited:

hp88

does anyone know what typically happens to these people. Do they get a slap on the wrist and sent on their way.
Those who blocked the M25 ended up in prison but I think we are talking days / weeks and not years, guessing the repeat offenders will be getting a longer sentence though.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
How to be a snooker commentator for the BBC:

Spend more than half the time talking about how great the arena is regardless of the event (crucible, masters, U.K championship). I get it lads, it’s a great event. As are all the other ones, but there’s just something slightly more special about the current one because that’s the one on TV right now. Okay.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The guy that threw the powder over the table I think has already been arrested multiple times before, but astonishingly remains on his course at Exeter University.

Why would he be kicked off his course?

ChrisNelson

Why would he be kicked off his course?
He has multiple convictions to his name and I think you could easily argue he's brought the University in to disrepute now it's been reported he studies there.

I would fully expect to be sacked by my employer for doing what he's done.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Why do you think he shouldn’t be on his course at Exeter Uni?

edit - see you have answered.

He has multiple convictions to his name and I think you could easily argue he's brought the University in to disrepute now it's been reported he studies there.

I would fully expect to be sacked by my employer for doing what he's done.
He’s not employed by Exeter Uni. He’s paying £9500 a year to study there.

Sweet Square

How to be a snooker commentator for the BBC:

Spend more than half the time talking about how great the arena is regardless of the event (crucible, masters, U.K championship). I get it lads, it’s a great event. As are all the other ones, but there’s just something slightly more special about the current one because that’s the one on TV right now. Okay.
:lol:

ChrisNelson

He’s not employed by Exeter Uni. He’s paying £9500 a year to study there.
I bet you there's still something in writing that enables them to terminate his membership if he is involved in criminal activity.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I bet you there's still something in writing that enables them to terminate his membership if he is involved in criminal activity.
Yeah probably.

I very much doubt a University would expel someone for political protest and in my opinion they shouldn’t either.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It'd be a damning indictment of Exeter Uni if none of their students had convictions for direct action.

ChrisNelson

Yeah probably.

I very much doubt a University would expel someone for political protest and in my opinion they shouldn’t either.
Protests yes I totally agree, committing a criminal offence (or multiple of them) in the process of doing so? That's a different argument.

ChrisNelson

I don't know what's happened to Judd this season but he's a shadow of the old Judd.

Heading out in the first round unless he sorts himself out pronto - about to head 9-6 down.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't know what's happened to Judd this season but he's a shadow of the old Judd.

Heading out in the first round unless he sorts himself out pronto - about to head 9-6 down.
You caught any of it? Wondering if it's mostly Trump being poor or McGill rising to the occasion.

ChrisNelson

You caught any of it? Wondering if it's mostly Trump being poor or McGill rising to the occasion.
I've caught bits of it and it's a bit of both - Trump has missed some easy shots throughout the match and just couldn't string enough pots together.

I honestly thought his first title would springboard him to multiple but he's not really made anything like the progress he should have done, other than one standout stellar year.

But full credit to McGill, he's a very hard player to beat and deserves the victory, took his chances.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
McGill played very well & kept his bottle under pressure. Trump looked a tad frazzled as the game went on & missed a couple of easy shots but McGill was good value for the win.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Trump was going for shots he should have played safe, pushed the boat out a bit too much at times. And then he lost the plot missing a pink off the spot. Fair play McGill

Looking forward to Wilson Higgins. Murphy Si was very good tonight

Bertie Wooster

McGill played very well & kept his bottle under pressure. Trump looked a tad frazzled as the game went on & missed a couple of easy shots but McGill was good value for the win.
That's my worry for Jack in the next round.

Lisowski almost bottled it again from 9-4 up. McGill will almost certainly have the advantage when it comes to temperament and bottle. Just hope Jack's potting game is at its best and that he can somehow put in the kind of disciplined performance he found last year v Robertson and Higgins.

ChrisNelson

That's my worry for Jack in the next round.

Lisowski almost bottled it again from 9-4 up. McGill will almost certainly have the advantage when it comes to temperament and bottle. Just hope Jack's potting game is at its best and that he can somehow put in the kind of disciplined performance he found last year v Robertson and Higgins.
Jack will need to come out and start well as I can't see him coming from behind against McGill, he's just too solid when in front.

Has to be within 1 at the very worst following the first session.

Bertie Wooster

Great comeback by Robert Milkins. Didn't give him much chance starting at 7-2 down.

Perry will be gutted, with the protestor incident in the first session and just not performing today and throwing away a huge lead. At least he's a commentator so will still feel a part of the tournament, I guess.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Am I remembering right or did Perry have another collapse at the crucible some years ago. Very yin and yang player.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What a final frame between Murphy and Si

Get in.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
What's the beef with Ronnie and the guy he's playing? I saw a headline briefly about him 'disrespecting his family' or something :lol:

ChrisNelson

What's the beef with Ronnie and the guy he's playing? I saw a headline briefly about him 'disrespecting his family' or something :lol:
Vafaei said that O'Sullivan disrespected the game (which is totally true to be fair) and that he should retire.

Ronnie has bitten back in an interview, it's not got nasty or anything but both will want to win more than usual!

Bertie Wooster

Vafaei said that O'Sullivan disrespected the game (which is totally true to be fair) and that he should retire.

Ronnie has bitten back in an interview, it's not got nasty or anything but both will want to win more than usual!
Ronnie talks a lot of (often contradictory) rubbish of course. So valid to criticise many of his views on Snooker.

But in this case the personal side of the feud seems very much initiated by Vafaei. Not sure why, after such a good win, he immediately talked about 'shutting up' O'Sullivan. And then about O'Sullivan being a poor 'hero' and blaming that for the way he (Vafaei) had disrespected his own family and friends.

It all seemed quite unnecessary and personal - even stranger considering Vafaei was at the same time talking about trying to set an example to make all the players nicer and more respectful with each other. First step should be not doing interviews like that!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Started playing this again recently. It's unbelievably hard isn't it. If you haven't been playing consistently from a young age you can forget it. I do enjoy the tactical side of it over pool but in absolute awe at some of the stuff these guys can do on the table and make it look so easy.

Bertie Wooster

Agh! A great clearance from Williams denies Luca a 4 frame lead going into the final session.

Brecel had done fantastic to go from 4-6 down to 9-6 up, and with a 51 lead looked like he was going to stretch it into a dominant lead. That break might prove pivotal as Williams' experience and temperament means I still make him favourite at 7-9, against Luca in his first ever best of 25 at the Crucible. 6-10 and you'd have to have made Brecel favourite.
I'm hoping Luca can still do it tonight but less confident after that Williams steal in the last frame.