Redcafe Snooker

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He was talking about support from the crowd but I felt like he was annoyed by them. Irritating twats shouting out all the time.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ronnie once said that the difference between those who win repeatedly and those who dont, is the ability to handle pressure. Which i agree with.

I recall a chinese player in the scottish open a few years ago who needed one more frame to win the final outright and just bottled frame after frame until robertson one it - i think he was five ahead. Pressure is a funny thing.

Djockovic in tennis as well can just handle the pressure moments brilliantly. or tiger woods in the golf etc.

ChrisNelson

The irony of Ronnie O'Sullivan saying someone isn't a nice person and needs counselling. That's actually off the scale.

Really cannot stand the man, the way he treats his sport and fellow professionals is absolutely disgusting.

And people wonder why he's never won SPOTY, same for Phil Taylor and why he only ever got a runner-up trophy. Win and lose with some grace and it will be acknowledged.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The irony of Ronnie O'Sullivan saying someone isn't a nice person and needs counselling. That's actually off the scale.

Really cannot stand the man, the way he treats his sport and fellow professionals is absolutely disgusting.

And people wonder why he's never won SPOTY, same for Phil Taylor and why he only ever got a runner-up trophy. Win and lose with some grace and it will be acknowledged.
Ali Carter is a dick though.

ChrisNelson

Ali Carter is a dick though.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I would say he's a Championship dick and Ronnie is top of the Premier League of dicks.

You'll see every single time someone else is in the papers, he'll come out and do or say something stupid just because he can't stand it not all being about him.

For someone knocking on the door of 50 he's incredibly petulant.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I would say he's a Championship dick and Ronnie is top of the Premier League of dicks.

You'll see every single time someone else is in the papers, he'll come out and do or say something stupid just because he can't stand it not all being about him.

For someone knocking on the door of 50 he's incredibly petulant.
It’s a psychological technique he’s mastered over the last 3 decades. He knows how to get himself fired up and how to break his opponents. He doesn’t have any interest in being a Tim Henman or David Beckham like squeaky clean classy professional because he knows that isn’t what drives him and gets the best out of him. He needs to be the villain.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yeah there's something about him, can't put my finger on it but seems like a right self centred arrogant prick. Maybe it's because he always just looks feckin miserable no matter what.
He's a miserable, prickly, sulky bastard but I think life's given him reasons. The bloke's struggled with various bouts of cancer and has Crohn's disease. I think it might've taught him to be bloody minded and combative. He's not exactly brilliant at his main profession either. He seems to have had to battle hard for everything he's got.

cyberman

Yeah there's something about him, can't put my finger on it but seems like a right self centred arrogant prick. Maybe it's because he always just looks feckin miserable no matter what.
He’s MAGA who believes the election was stolen and every other conspiracy going

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
:lol: gwan Ronnie tear him a new one

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He's a miserable, prickly, sulky bastard but I think life's given him reasons. The bloke's struggled with various bouts of cancer and has Crohn's disease. I think it might've taught him to be bloody minded and combative. He's not exactly brilliant at his main profession either. He seems to have had to battle hard for everything he's got.
Snooker? He’s literally one of the best in the world

ChrisNelson

To be fair he has a right to be frustrated there because it's very similar to a shot he faced during the Masters when he was forced in to a foul behind the baulk line, so I think he was just cursing his luck.

As you say though, great pot in the end!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

ChrisNelson

Did anyone see the incident with William and Vafaei last night?

Vafaei walked off (lost) and didn't shake Williams' hand, so Williams tracked him down backstage and asked what it was about.

Apparently it was because when Williams missed the pink which ended up being the last shot of the match, he slapped his thigh in frustration because he thought Vafaei would come back and play for snookers so it was a bit careless.

Vafaei shook the ref's hand and walked off, god knows how he interpreted the gesture but in terms of overreactions it's right up there.

And I don't like defending Williams because he's far from my favourite player and we had a bit of a social media exchange a few years ago :) .

There was also a bizarre incident in the same frame where the balls were being replaced after a miss had been called. Williams picked up the white as a joke so the ref couldn't find it when he went back to baulk after replacing the pink and reds.

I think it was Olivier Marteel the ref, he got the white off Williams and told him that players aren't allowed to pick up any balls other than when it's their shot from the D. Cost him 7 penalty points!

Bertie Wooster

Did anyone see the incident with William and Vafaei last night?

Vafaei walked off (lost) and didn't shake Williams' hand, so Williams tracked him down backstage and asked what it was about.

Apparently it was because when Williams missed the pink which ended up being the last shot of the match, he slapped his thigh in frustration because he thought Vafaei would come back and play for snookers so it was a bit careless.

Vafaei shook the ref's hand and walked off, god knows how he interpreted the gesture but in terms of overreactions it's right up there.

And I don't like defending Williams because he's far from my favourite player and we had a bit of a social media exchange a few years ago :) .

There was also a bizarre incident in the same frame where the balls were being replaced after a miss had been called. Williams picked up the white as a joke so the ref couldn't find it when he went back to baulk after replacing the pink and reds.

I think it was Olivier Marteel the ref, he got the white off Williams and told him that players aren't allowed to pick up any balls other than when it's their shot from the D. Cost him 7 penalty points!
Yeah, both strange moments.

And there was another one in the second frame when Vafaei miscounted and 'completed' his break by just potting the pink without making an effort to get on the black - but as scores had been level then the pink only put him 6 in front and it was still a black ball game! He ended up losing that frame as well.

I think that frustration (only himself to blame!) maybe played a part in his over reaction at the end. Though he's a bit of a temperamental player anyway, often either very upbeat or quite outspoken.

ChrisNelson

Yeah, both strange moments.

And there was another one in the second frame when Vafaei miscounted and 'completed' his break by just potting the pink without making an effort to get on the black - but as scores had been level then the pink only put him 6 in front and it was still a black ball game! He ended up losing that frame as well.

I think that frustration (only himself to blame!) maybe played a part in his over reaction at the end. Though he's a bit of a temperamental player anyway, often either very upbeat or quite outspoken.
Yes I forgot the miscount! Unforgiveable really as a professional snooker player and why not just pot the black anyway, the crowd are there to see you pot balls!

The ticketholders will be hoping for a Trump v Ronnie final but there's still a chance Ronnie will lose before the final and come out with his usual car crash press conference.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
New tournament in Saudi announced with a golden ball allowing players to reach a 167 break. :lol:

ChrisNelson

Just been reading about that... massive sigh!!

They just continue to bulldozer their way through everything with cash, very sad and if you're looking to innovate snooker in some form, that's a rubbish idea to start with!

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, that gimmick sounds awful.

Similar to The Hundred at Cricket, I know there's 'a need for things to adjust to a changing audience and to introduce new fans', etc - but the unnecessarily corny gimmicks need to be kept to a minimum in order not to alienate existing fans.

It feels like everything that I like is just being changed (which invariably means it being dumbed down) to pander to this 'new, young, modern audience' and that I'm just about clinging onto some of them for now. Snooker is one of those. But the money from Asia, and the player power wanting to latch onto it, is really speeding up that change.

Bertie Wooster

Yes I forgot the miscount! Unforgiveable really as a professional snooker player and why not just pot the black anyway, the crowd are there to see you pot balls!

The ticketholders will be hoping for a Trump v Ronnie final but there's still a chance Ronnie will lose before the final and come out with his usual car crash press conference.
Also a tricky semi final for Trump. It looks easier on paper, but Cao Yupeng already beaten Hawkins, Murphy and Mark Williams so far so Judd can't take him lightly.

ChrisNelson

Also a tricky semi final for Trump. It looks easier on paper, but Cao Yupeng already beaten Hawkins, Murphy and Mark Williams so far so Judd can't take him lightly.
To be fair Murphy didn't turn up at all (hence the scoreline) but his win over Williams from 0-3 was impressive.

Bazza is having a fair enough season, won his first ranker for seven seasons at the European Masters but the match against Trump will be his biggest challenge by far, he's already won three rankers this season (in succession) and reached the semi-finals of the UK and lost in the final of the above mentioned European Masters.

Ronnie already over halfway to the semi-finals, leads Gary Wilson 3-1 and Zhang leads Ding 2-1 in the battle of China - good match that, Ding the first Asian player on many people's minds but Zhang has had a great last 18 months.