Refs & VAR 2021/22

UncleBob

Regarding the handball, I know it used to be the rule that it isn't a handball if the player falls and the ball hits his hand while it's between his body and the ground being used for support. Is that still the rule?
Yes.

But i fail to see how that can be applied to Cedric situation, as he is actively using his arm to try and follow Sancho, he only collapsed to the ground after blocking the ball.

acnumber9

Regarding the handball, I know it used to be the rule that it isn't a handball if the player falls and the ball hits his hand while it's between his body and the ground being used for support. Is that still the rule?
That’s what Peter Walton said. Seemingly ignoring that he wasn’t falling, he was crawling.

Kramer

What a joke man. Absolutely fuming. The handball could / should have been given. Telles one was certainly not a clear cut penalty.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm gonna ask this question here. How long after a VAR check for a pen can the ref come back for ? Surely there has to be a limit no ?
I mean if there is a decision that needs to be checked but the play is still on for the next 2-3 minutes, would a ref come back for the VAR check however legit ?
IMHO our players should have made a foul at some point and not let Arsenal kill the time

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Next season we should record all dubious VAR decisions both for and against us by these VAR officials. I feel like we've been on the end of some terrible, terrible decisions this season.

AFC NimbleThumb

What happened to VARchester United? Oh yea, it never really existed. VAR has been a disgrace today. Give them that penalty then give Elanga’s.

UncleBob

I'm gonna ask this question here. How long after a VAR check for a pen can the ref come back for ? Surely there has to be a limit no ?
I mean if there is a decision that needs to be checked but the play is still on for the next 2-3 minutes, would a ref come back for the VAR check however legit ?
IMHO our players should have made a foul at some point and not let Arsenal kill the time
No limit really, as soon as play stops

Orange Tree

Telles one was soft, but so was Elanga's.

The Cedric handball is stonewall if anyone actually bothered to check.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Regarding the penalty we gave away, I don't particularly have an issue with it being a penalty, I'm just not sure it's so much of a penalty that it should have been given by VAR if the ref initially let it go. If the ref had given it and VAR had let it stand then I'd be less bothered by it.

cyberman

Ronaldo was fouled 10 times before Christmas like that, never got a pen.
I’m lost for words.

hobbers

Deliberately stops a goal scoring chance with his hand but because he's "falling" it can't ever be a pen under any circumstance.

The cretins who write the rules around handballs and penalties, what constitutes an obvious mistake or not, and the people who officiate, are all intellectually bankrupt.

Refs have been emasculated by VAR and now they have no ability to think for themselves.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Arsenal penalty was as much of a pen as the one on Elanga, both soft, neither penalties for me. But the handball is blatant. He practically scoops it backwards with his hand, of which prevents Sancho from entering the box with the ball with nobody infront of him. Can't understand why Pawson looked at the Telles challenge but not the handball. TV coverage didn't even show a replay of the handball until 15 minutes later.

edcunited1878

All goal area incidents should already be reviewed in Stockley Park or wherever they are reviewing it. It is a terrible decision on the pitch by the ref and VAR to not even have a look at the handball inside Arsenal's box by Cedric. It is a clear handball.

Lentwood

Never a penalty in a million years. I think it's one of those that looks far more like a penalty in slow-motion than it does in real-time.

I guarantee there will be 1000 incidents like that in semi-pro to Championship games that happen this weekend and not one will be given as a penalty.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly struggling with the penalty Sancho was denied. So let me get this straight: If you do a defender, leave him on his ar$e, he stretches out his arm as you're about to finish going by him, he touches the ball, its not a penalty? Cos you're supposedly allowed to stop your fall? But he's not stopping his fall, he's using his arm to block Sancho beating him. Don't understand.

UncleBob

The new language is: "A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised."

UncleBob

Never a penalty in a million years. I think it's one of those that looks far more like a penalty in slow-motion than it does in real-time.

I guarantee there will be 1000 incidents like that in semi-pro to Championship games that happen this weekend and not one will be given as a penalty.
What is never a penalty?

El Zoido

Honestly struggling with the penalty Sancho was denied. So let me get this straight: If you do a defender, leave him on his ar$e, he stretches out his arm as you're about to finish going by him, he touches the ball, its not a penalty? Cos you're supposedly allowed to stop your fall? But he's not stopping his fall, he's using his arm to block Sancho beating him. Don't understand.
It’s an unusual one, but this is quite clear in the laws of the game. It’s not a penalty, but maybe they need to revise the laws.

ManUnitedCanuck

The fact that these officials get a chance to review these incidents and still get them completely wrong is quite scary. how can you be so incompetent at your job, yet still be involved every week?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Arsenal penalty was as much of a pen as the one on Elanga, both soft, neither penalties for me. But the handball is blatant. He practically scoops it backwards with his hand, of which prevents Sancho from entering the box with the ball with nobody infront of him. Can't understand why Pawson looked at the Telles challenge but not the handball. TV coverage didn't even show a replay of the handball until 15 minutes later.
Which makes it a penalty and a red card. But hey, let’s not be bothering the referee to have another look. He’s a busy man.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He had ALREADY FALLEN, you cant then start galloping to defend with zero consequences if you handle the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It looked 110% a penalty in real time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That handball on Cedric is ridiculously blatant. Hes crawling and scoops the ball with his hand. How the feck wasn't that called?

SirAnderson

I am still to see a ref go to the monitor and stick with his original decision or not go with the implied decision of VAR in the PL.
I think someone said it happened before, but I've not ever seen it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It’s an unusual one, but this is quite clear in the laws of the game. It’s not a penalty, but maybe they need to revise the laws.
He's not falling though. He was moving along the ground to match Sancho in that position for a good distance. If he had fallen down and touched it then fair enough, but moving on all fours while looking at the ball and then touching it away with your hand last second is a clear intentional penalty.

What you're describing is a natural fall. Tell me the above is a natural fall, go out on the garden right now and recreate it and tell me that's natural.

edcunited1878

Cedric was looking at the ball as he was crawling trying to keep himself up. And then he swipes at the ball. Unbelievable bullshit.