Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unless we sell one of Sanchez or Lukaku I can't see the club making an expensive purchase in January. Moreso, with the clubs search of DoF and possibly a coach. The time to buy another right winger was prior purchasing Sanchez. Although Sanchez is a great player in his own right we already had Martial and Rashford playing similar roles and it was only ever going to block their progress.

Bayern won't sell whilst still playing for trophies. Whilst Costa is a good player he will then have to adapt, and age could become a detriment with players who rely on pace. Barca if rumours are to be believed are in need of funds so Dembele could be an option in the future and someone who would light up Old Trafford. Very much a Sir Alex type player.

If Ole thinks right-winger is an absolute must then a loan for someone like Robben if available would be an option.

Patrick08

Unless we sell one of Sanchez or Lukaku I can't see the club making an expensive purchase in January. Moreso, with the clubs search of DoF and possibly a coach. The time to buy another right winger was prior purchasing Sanchez. Although Sanchez is a great player in his own right we already had Martial and Rashford playing similar roles and it was only ever going to block their progress.

Bayern won't sell whilst still playing for trophies. Whilst Costa is a good player he will then have to adapt, and age could become a detriment with players who rely on pace. Barca if rumours are to be believed are in need of funds so Dembele could be an option in the future and someone who would light up Old Trafford. Very much a Sir Alex type player.

If Ole thinks right-winger is an absolute must then a loan for someone like Robben if available would be an option.
Sanchez has a lot more to offer with a manager who is willing to get the best out of him up front. Similar with lukaku, I don't think we have the purse strings pulled back by glazers. It's that the players may not be available for the right price.

Our scouts have disappointed way too much as well who can't find a single decent player early enough so that we are proactive on him. Fergie and gill retired in 2013 and it took 3years for Woodward to revamp the scouting network and also we let crucial players join other clubs without even willing to address the issue in that area for 5 years now.

A loan deal for a decent player out there is should also be looked at by the way.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sancho. It's fairly straightforward. Dortmund whether they like it or not are a selling club and can't compete with Utd financially. Offer them £100m and bring him back to Manchester. The boy is a superstar. He's also really good mates with Rashford which would no doubt appeal.

As good as he's doing for Dortmund, joining United is still a step up club wise and his wages would probably treble.

No messing about. Bring him here and make City rue the day they messed this up.

red thru&thru

Sancho or Pulisic.

If we got someone like Costa (if rumours are true), I believe the management would look at him as Spurs did with Moura. With the right guidance and right team, he could be a top player for us.

Ajax Treesdown

Ever the optimist I would go all in for Mbappe.

PSG need to meet FFP rules and it appears one of Mbappe or Neymar will be sold. If he's available its a no brainer to at least be in the hunt. Although we may need to wait for the summer to do such a deal. We really would be going for young hungry gifted players who can develop and grow at the club.

Signing older players like Costa for example relies on them hitting the ground running and making an immediate impact which I am not sure he will do since he has never played in England before and could take time to aclimatize.

Reactions: Penna

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd still like to see Sanchez playing in a more progressive system before we rule him out. I still feel we haven't seen the real player yet - its whether he has enough hunger left in him that is the question mark for me.

Long term, Sancho or Dembele are the obvious ones. Both of their clubs would sell them for the right price I feel.

Devil may care

Sanchez will get chances at RW and as a striker over the next 6 months, I just hope we don't use him on the left anymore as him and Pogba get in each others way..

Walters_19_MuFc

I was all for the signing of Sancho, Zaha, Costa - direct wingers who take players on; however, the more I think about it, the more I think about whether Jose actually wanted two wingers of similar attributes on each side.

The way Jose played, and the way Ole has continued to play, is having one winger to keep the width (Martial) and one to roam inside (Lingard, Mata). With Pogba pushing forward from midfield, Lingard/Mata roaming into the middle, and Matic and Herrera/Fred playing deeper, it means we resemble more of a 4222 formation in possession.

Below are the average positions in some of our games, where we used a 433

Vs Huddersfield

Vs Cardiff

Vs Everton

Vs Bournemouth

As you can see, there's a huge difference between Martial (11) and Mata/Lingard's (8/14) positioning.

If that's the way we're going to use our right winger, then obviously Sancho, Costa, etc is not the profile of singing we should be looking at. What we do need is someone who is more creative than Mata and Lingard.

Having said all of that, maybe we're only playing that way due to the options we have, although Mourinho did have the chance to address the issue in the summer.

Ideally, I would like to see two wingers on each side keeping the width and taking players on. The typical 'United way', if you like. Players like Sancho, Zaha, Costa, Mbappe, Suso, Thauvin, etc would all be ideal.

If we're looking for a roaming winger, then we should be focusing on Isco, Fekir, Eriksen, etc.

Nick.

I believe that the playerr we get to play wide on the right should not be a winger

Seij

I was all for the signing of Sancho, Zaha, Costa - direct wingers who take players on; however, the more I think about it, the more I think about whether Jose actually wanted two wingers of similar attributes on each side.

The way Jose played, and the way Ole has continued to play, is having one winger to keep the width (Martial) and one to roam inside (Lingard, Mata). With Pogba pushing forward from midfield, Lingard/Mata roaming into the middle, and Matic and Herrera/Fred playing deeper, it means we resemble more of a 4222 formation in possession.

Vs Huddersfield

Vs Cardiff

Vs Everton

Vs Bournemouth

As you can see, there's a huge difference between Martial (11) and Mata/Lingard's (8/14) positioning.

If that's the way we're going to use our right winger, then obviously Sancho, Costa, etc is not the profile of singing we should be looking at. What we do need is someone who is more creative than Mata and Lingard.

Having said all of that, maybe we're only playing that way due to the options we have, although Mourinho did have the chance to address the issue in the summer.

Ideally, I would like to see two wingers on each side keeping the width and taking players on. The typical 'United way', if you like. Players like Sancho, Zaha, Costa, Mbappe, Suso, Thauvin, etc would all be ideal.

If we're looking for a roaming winger, then we should be focusing on Isco, Fekir, Eriksen, etc.
I've always thought this was because neither Mata nor Lingard is suited to play on the right wing and both really prefer to play behind the striker instead. I believe we will see more balanced looking positions when we sign an actual right winger.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I believe that the playerr we get to play wide on the right should not be a winger
What would you like him to be if he is not a winger?

Neither Rashford or Martial are hugging the touchline on the left while Valencia and Young are done. We clearly need an actual winger and since we lack quality options on the right its the only place for it.

buckooo1978

Sancho in the Summer would be the marquee signing - if Dortmund win the Bundesliga and we are 6th would he be keen

I'd love to see us tap into talent from the South American leagues rather than watch up and coming stars go to Spain and Portugal

Ace of Spades

There are many options out there, but without even a DOF or knowing who the manager is going to be, signing players without a plan is a bad decision.

ManchesterYoda

SUSO

25 years old
Left footed
Right winger
AC Milan and Spain
Estimated transfermarkt value = £45 million

Strengths: Long shots, key passes, finishing, dribbling, holding on to the ball, passing.

Style of play: Counter attack threat, likes to cut inside, gets fouled often, likes to play long balls, likes to shoot from distance, likes to dribble, plays the ball off the ground often, likes to do layoffs, likes to cross, does not dive into tackles.

In terms of consistency, he currently has the 2nd highest whoscored average rating in Serie A, after Ronaldo.

Reactions: Invictus

KennyBurner

After reading this thread the top 3 best option are Dembele, Sancho and Pulisic.

Dembele is vastly superior to the other two and should be the main target if he is available. Even without his speed he possesses worldclass technique. Currently the only other team I hear is interested is arsenal. We should be favorites to sign if arsenal is the only competition.

Just imagine martial and dembele running at you from either wing. They would need to increase stadium capacity to fill in the demand.

M Utd

Great in depth discussion. I'm on board with your idea that Mou did want different styles from different sides of the pitch. I also think he thought Dalot (long term) would provide width, pace and creating chances from crosses. As you say it's far too early to know what Ole wants to play as he has had no other options other than maybe look at someone in the youth teams but again it's still very early. One thing is for certain the right side of the attacking unit is the one thing Ole knows incredibly well having played there on a number of occasions under SAF.

Last edited by a moderator:

In Rainbows

Sancho.

It would be a dream to have an extremely technical side with Martial, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, and Gomes. :drool:

Mcking

SUSO

25 years old
Left footed
Right winger
AC Milan and Spain

Strengths: Long shots, key passes, finishing, dribbling, holding on to the ball, passing.

Style of play: Counter attack threat, likes to cut inside, gets fouled often, likes to play long balls, likes to shoot from distance, likes to dribble, plays the ball off the ground often, likes to do layoffs, likes to cross, does not dive into tackles.

In terms of consistency, he currently has the 2nd highest whoscored average rating in Serie A, after Ronaldo.

He's good, and will offer something different from Martial and Rashford.

Ajax Treesdown

Its difficult to know for sure but I think city have a buy back agreement for Sancho already in place. So surely they would take up that offer if he looked like was going to sign for united. As much as I THINK Sancho would be a great signing I don't see it happening.
I just jumped on the Sancho bandwagon! Let’s sign him in summer
Could be tricky as city have first refusal if they match our offer. They could just drive the price up just to mess with us. Don't see him coming to us to be honest. Would be an excellent signing though if we pulled it off.

In Rainbows

Its difficult to know for sure but I think city have a buy back agreement for Sancho already in place. So surely they would take up that offer if he looked like was going to sign for united. As much as I THINK Sancho would be a great signing I don't see it happening.

Could be tricky as city have first refusal if they match our offer. They could just drive the price up just to mess with us. Don't see him coming to us to be honest. Would be an excellent signing though if we pulled it off.
They have first refusal, but it's up to the player.

Andersons Dietician

SUSO

25 years old
Left footed
Right winger
AC Milan and Spain

Wonder if he’d really fancy another crack at English football and he being an ex Liverpool player would he want to play for us and would we even want him due to that.

Wonder if he’d really fancy another crack at English football and he being an ex Liverpool player would he want to play for us and would we even want him due to that.
Michael Owen played for us, Paul Ince played for Liverpool. Doesn’t matter at all - it’s just that there is never likely to be a direct transfer between the clubs.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
SUSO

25 years old
Left footed
Right winger
AC Milan and Spain

Please no, bang average.

Cathy Ferguson

Anyone keeping tabs on Nicholas Pepe? Only Mbappe has scored more goals in France this season.

Sancho is the ideal candidate but he just signed a long term contract with Dortmund.

Dembele is even less realistic.

davidmichael

Sancho. It's fairly straightforward. Dortmund whether they like it or not are a selling club and can't compete with Utd financially. Offer them £100m and bring him back to Manchester. The boy is a superstar. He's also really good mates with Rashford which would no doubt appeal.

As good as he's doing for Dortmund, joining United is still a step up club wise and his wages would probably treble.

No messing about. Bring him here and make City rue the day they messed this up.
I believe Jadon Sancho is also best mates with Angel Gomes as well as Marcus Rashford but I’m in full agreement that Sancho is the one we need to go all out for, he looks to have it all.

devil in me

Have to go all out for Sancho...its a Wayne Rooney situation when he was a kid... the best English talent around who would give us quality for years. Can't see him going back to City, he left because of lack of chances to play and would it be any different now?
He's probably the one player we should be investing rescoures in, but probably wont.

GledTheRed

Have to go all out for Sancho...its a Wayne Rooney situation when he was a kid... the best English talent around who would give us quality for years. Can't see him going back to City, he left because of lack of chances to play and would it be any different now?
He's probably the one player we should be investing rescoures in, but probably wont.
I agree, no brainer this. We need to buy the best domestic talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.