Rio Ferdinand

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Did he genuinely change the order of the penalties? After Ronaldo missed?
You can't change it during shootout. Refs get a list and players must go by that list. Maybe he insisted before shootout that he goes 5th

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Did he genuinely change the order of the penalties? After Ronaldo missed?
Before.

Avram Grant "Terry was not on the list. But because [Didier] Drogba was out [due to a red card] we changed it because [Salomon] Kalou needed to be the fifth and then, because it was the deciding penalty, JT wanted it.”

Terry has also said he was considering doing a Panenka and had been doing them in training.

Dan_F

Before.

Avram Grant "Terry was not on the list. But because [Didier] Drogba was out [due to a red card] we changed it because [Salomon] Kalou needed to be the fifth and then, because it was the deciding penalty, JT wanted it.”

Terry has also said he was considering doing a Panenka and had been doing them in training.
Unreal when you think about it. The Ferguson era was just outrageous. What kind of story is it that the ultra cnut that is JT was the one who slipped over for the winning pen. You really couldn’t script it.

I almost wish I was 10 years older and born in the late 70s, so that I could fully appreciate how brilliant the 90s and 2000s were.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rio
Stam
VVD
Vidic
Kompany

Irwin99

Both Rio and Terry were world class imo. Some undervaluing of Vidic here though; rarely seen a defender match his 2008-09 season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Unreal when you think about it. The Ferguson era was just outrageous. What kind of story is it that the ultra cnut that is JT was the one who slipped over for the winning pen. You really couldn’t script it.

I almost wish I was 10 years older and born in the late 70s, so that I could fully appreciate how brilliant the 90s and 2000s were.
I was born before then and I‘m glad I went through the 70s and 80s with United as (1) they were fantastic - lots of my favourite United games are from then, and (2) it made the 90s/00s all the better.

Flip side is my nephew. Born in 93, had nonstop success for a decade or two, then this. He‘s always moaning… baby :)

El Jefe

I haven't caught up with the last few pages yet but are there folks in here pretending John Terry isn't arguably the best CB to play in the PL. He might not be in your personal top 3/5/10 but he definitely has a case for being the best based on his ability, longevity and honours.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It takes a certain type to go full kit for a final they haven't played in.
I mean, multiple players have done that including many of his teammates on that very same night.

Loon

:lol:
Before.

Ahh, right. Blimey. I was there and didn't even see him take the pen. I had my head down expecting cheers to erupt from the other end of the ground.

Loon

:lol:
I was born before then and I‘m glad I went through the 70s and 80s with United as (1) they were fantastic - lots of my favourite United games are from then, and (2) it made the 90s/00s all the better.

Flip side is my nephew. Born in 93, had nonstop success for a decade or two, then this. He‘s always moaning… baby :)
Yup, I have an incredible soft-spot for the Atkinson side, the first I saw in the flesh.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rio is incredibly overrated on this forum, he had a lot of presence about him but his ball-playing skills are overhyped. He had a tendency to look good on the ball without being particularly great, also loved to play a long hoof to nowhere.

I've always pegged Vidic as the better defender of the two even if he didn't look as classy, but his strengths were tailor-made for this league. 08/09 season, he made Jonny Evans look like a world beater next to him. One of the most dominant season you'll ever see from a CB. His 2010/11 season is also under-rated.

---

van Dijk has only won 1 PL but I don't think any defender has had the season he had in 18/19, deserved to win Ballon d'Or that season. Looks very dominant still. Kompany is same, he was a quality defender for Man City when they started to win stuff. Great leader too
Rio's ball-playing strangely declined quite a lot as he aged. In the first half of his career he was very good, basically a prototype of what most top clubs are always looking for now in a central defender. The aimless long balls that gave possession back to the opposition did become a feature of his game later on though.

Vidic was absolutely incredible for the first half of 08/09 (probably the best half a season I've ever seen any defender ever have), but he fell away quite a bit in the second half. The first half of that season was so incredible I still rate it as the third best season any defender has had in the PL, but Rio in 07/08 and VVD in 18/19 were better overall IMO.

MileStolar

I wonder where Pique would rank among those names of all those players? He spent most of his career during Barca's most successful period, does that add up to something?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Paul Scholes and Roy Keane didn't. He nearly cost them a place in that final by getting sent off.
And i wouldn't have begrudged them if they did. Tournaments don't start and end in the final.

Out of all the things people can use to take a pop at him to do it for something multiple players (including your record scorer) has since repeated is bizarre.

fergies coat

And i wouldn't have begrudged them if they did. Tournaments don't start and end in the final.

Out of all the things people can use to take a pop at him to do it for something multiple players (including your record scorer) has since repeated is bizarre.
He had his shin pads on mate. I mean wear a club suit or a tracksuit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rio is incredibly overrated on this forum, he had a lot of presence about him but his ball-playing skills are overhyped. He had a tendency to look good on the ball without being particularly great, also loved to play a long hoof to nowhere.

I've always pegged Vidic as the better defender of the two even if he didn't look as classy, but his strengths were tailor-made for this league. 08/09 season, he made Jonny Evans look like a world beater next to him. One of the most dominant season you'll ever see from a CB. His 2010/11 season is also under-rated.

I'd place Rio above Terry because he was more complete but Terrys longevity has him in for a great shout, he was on his last leg during Mourinho 2nd stint and still looked quality. My Top 5 would be:

1. Vidic
2. Rio
3. Terry
4. van Dijk
5. Kompany

van Dijk has only won 1 PL but I don't think any defender has had the season he had in 18/19, deserved to win Ballon d'Or that season. Looks very dominant still. Kompany is same, he was a quality defender for Man City when they started to win stuff. Great leader too
So you say Rio is overrated yet still place him 2nd in the all time premier league defender list.

Right.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rio
Stam
VVD
Vidic
Kompany
Would probably agree with this.

I think people forget how imperious Stam was in our best ever season 99.
He was like the best bits of Vidic, with more pace and ball playing.

It was a real shame we binned him when we did, to then bring in an almost finished Blanc. One of the maddest ever downgrades in the history of football.
Although we'll never know if we'd got wind of Stam's impending drug ban.

lex talionis

I haven't caught up with the last few pages yet but are there folks in here pretending John Terry isn't arguably the best CB to play in the PL. He might not be in your personal top 3/5/10 but he definitely has a case for being the best based on his ability, longevity and honours.
Nope. Terry deserves to be in the PL top 5, but aside from longevity no chance is he the greatest CB of the prem era. I'm not sure Terry was ever the greatest CB in the prem during his career. Rio and Vidic clearly top Terry -- some say Rio, and I say Vidic. VDV > Terry, though Terry clearly has the edge on longevity. And you'd have to give Adams as shout as well, although I could go either way Adams v Terry. Vidic was a colossus for United who every day of the week beats Rio.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Would probably agree with this.

I think people forget how imperious Stam was in our best ever season 99.
He was like the best bits of Vidic, with more pace and ball playing.

It was a real shame we binned him when we did, to then bring in an almost finished Blanc. One of the maddest ever downgrades in the history of football.
Although we'll never know if we'd got wind of Stam's impending drug ban.
Stam was better than Rio and Vidic. A truly awful debut but lord knows why he didn’t kick in after he left us. Properly weird.

iamking

My PL top 5 list would be this:
1. Stam
2. Terry
3. Rio
4. Vidic
5. Kompany

With shoutouts to Tony Adams, Tony Rudiger, Sol Campbell, Ricky Caravalho, Sami Hyppia.

Stam was the best of the PL lot. Virgil Van Dijk would unfortunately be top of this list if he wins another PL or CL.

Tavern in the town

My PL top 5 list would be this:
1. Stam
2. Terry
3. Rio
4. Vidic
5. Kompany

With shoutouts to Tony Adams, Tony Rudiger, Sol Campbell, Ricky Caravalho, Sami Hyppia.

Stam was the best of the PL lot. Virgil Van Dijk would unfortunately be top of this list if he wins another PL or CL.
Stuff like this makes absolutely no sense. So in your mind Van Dijk isn’t a top 10 centre back in PL history. But another trophy (a team achievement) sends him right to the top of the list.

iamking

Stuff like this makes absolutely no sense. So in your mind Van Dijk isn’t a top 10 centre back in PL history. But another trophy (a team achievement) sends him right to the top of the list.
It just means, we have to see how he ends his PL career before truly placing him, unless he ends up with another PL/CL trophy right away and then to me he is qualified to enter the conversation now. If not we have to wait till he ends his career to see if he maintains the level and then place him in the top CB list.

The trophy thing counts because it shows the level of success you achieve and how vital you are to the team. If the trophies are thinned out, then we have to wait for their careers to end before judging it. (Not saying VVD wont get there, its prudent to see it through). Hope it makes sense

AFC NimbleThumb

Both quality CBs. The back & forth is embarrassing. As refreshing as it is to see players [former] not pretending to be best buds arguing on twitter because of an opinion is bloody ridiculous.

stevoc

Pretty much on a par with Vidic, Van Dijk and Kompany but I'd have him in 6th, not quite the longevity in the league the others had
Well fair enough he wasn't in the PL for a long time.

Stam doesn’t make any side ahead of VVD let’s be honest. He made 70 odd PL appearances.
3 seasons, 3 league titles and a treble, he absolutely does. Had all the best attributes of Rio and Vidic rolled into one. How much of his physical prowess was down to his special supplements we will never know, but he was a monster of a player nonetheless. Best centre back I've seen in the PL.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Yeah but wasnt Terrys red card a petulant knee to someone randomly? I might be wrong though, but it was something outrageously stupid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Stam doesn’t make any side ahead of VVD let’s be honest. He made 70 odd PL appearances.
Thats not far off saying someone like Chris Sutton or Andy Cole deserves to be in over Ronaldo for longevity and overall stats reasons.

Castia

Thats not far off saying someone like Chris Sutton or Andy Cole deserves to be in over Ronaldo for longevity and overall stats reasons.
Its nothing alike what are you talking about. The 5 defenders i named are Rio, Vidic, VVD, Terry, and Kompany neither of those are like comparing Sutton to Ronaldo ffs.

Its a game of opinions but Stam isn’t getting in ahead of any of those mentioned for me.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
At this point, surely we can come up with a chant on this topic for next season?

I'm sure Terry will get even more pissy about it.

MalaysianRed7

He really isn’t as good as prime Rio though. I guess he had aerial ability, the one thing he had over the closest thing to Beckenbauer England have ever produced.

thepolice123

VVD basically picked one CB from each of the top 4 clubs and one Dutch player.

You are not going to get an objective list. Debating it is just pointless and Terry's a tool.