g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Robbers ambush Tom Cleverley

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No way it's worse than for an average person. It's a similar trauma but for most of us it's much more difficult to replace stolen valuables than it is for a professional footballer.
I wasn't talking about materialistic things.

Someone

Something
If you need to spend £10k on a handbag to get some low class tart to sleep with you, then you have a problem.
I think rich people spending money is always a good thing, it helps the economy, the more they spend the better it is for everyone else.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think rich people spending money is always a good thing, it helps the economy, the more they spend the better it is for everyone else.
It depends on what the money is being spent on. The labour-value being put into a designer handbag is a total waste of resources...it is labour-value that could be used elsewhere. 1000 people spending £10 on a handbag would be significantly more beneficial to the economy than some WAG spending £10k on one.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Sounds like trickle down economics
Would be interesting to know whats better for the economy, your average footballer in the 50% that go broke within 5 years of retirement or a footballer who misers and hordes.

I reckon that footballers buy such random crap that it doesn't really help the economy all that much.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It depends on what the money is being spent on. The labour-value being put into a designer handbag is a total waste of resources...it is labour-value that could be used elsewhere. 1000 people spending £10 on a handbag would be significantly more beneficial to the economy than some WAG spending £10k on one.
Eh? You'll have the explain that one to me.

It probably didn't cost a lot (in labour or money) to design and make the handbag... If it wasn't created there would be a gap in the market for a designer handbag, and if only cheap handbags were made then the cheap handbag market would be saturated.

The fashion industry must be a fairly major market., providing tens of thousands of jobs in the UK. My job is affected by it.. and I have never looked at any clothing for my job.

I guess the question is, where do the profits end up... TK Maxx, Next, H&M or the independent ones or the luxury ones... Do the profits end up recirculating or being sucked out?

I reckon its not that bad at all

Sheldon69

I'm not being funny but I get taking the watches but how does anyone know what a hand bags worth or av I missed something ?

When I've watched crimewatch reconstructions I've heard .. "Give us the f****n money" ... And "where's the f****n safe" and a "where's the the f****n jewellery"
But I've never heard "where's the feckin handbags !!!"

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Love reading threads like this here. The poor guy was robbed in his home. Who cares if he has expensive jewelry and handbags there? It's his money he earned, he can spend it how he likes. So many jealous people in here upset that some people make a lot of money. So much demonization of those with wealth.

As for the gun comment, this would have ended differently in Texas. Someone robs my home with a bat when I'm there with my wife and kid, they're leaving with their tail between their legs or in a body bag, and rightfully so.
Yep same here.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The use of the phrase gold-digger and implication that Cleverley's girlfriend will only sleep with him in return for expensive trinkets suggests that the green-eyed monster might have a part to play in this latest rant. Perhaps getting all swole hasn't turned him into quite the cassanova he thought it would?
:lol:

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I've never liked the way TC came across in interviews. I got a bad impression of him. Also never helped that he was a pretty average player either.

However no one deserves this! I hope him and his family recovers mentally from this

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
It depends on what you're spending it on.

In my eyes, a flash millionaire who spends tens of thousands of pounds on jewelry is materialistic scum in the same way that some grisly chav is materialistic scum for spending half a week's wages on a £100 pair of designer jeans. They are all the same to me.
You're getting a lot of stick for this but feck them, you absolutely have a valid point.

I wouldn't necessarily say those in question are 'scum', but it's certainly indicative of modern society that some cnut would spend £15k on a watch or whatever, (and then be defended by a bunch of strangers on the internet for doing so) when you see endless stories of children(etc) needing a couple of grand for life saving treatment, going unaided.

I wouldn't like people telling me how to spend my money and I'm not short on material goods myself, so I can see the hypocrisy here. Even so, I can't help think it's fecking vulgar spending so much on materialistic 'luxury'.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
'They are said to have made off with a £15,000 Cartier bracelet, a £10,000 Hermes Birkin handbad and an Audemars Piguet watch worth £50,000'

That's fecking obscene. No sympathy from me at all.
A 50,000 pound watch, incredible.

Not only that, a terribly average player like him makes 60k a week! No wonder English players never leave England.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I wouldn't necessarily say those in question are 'scum', but it's certainly indicative of modern society that some cnut would spend £15k on a watch or whatever, (and then be defended by a bunch of strangers on the internet for doing so) when you see endless stories of children(etc) needing a couple of grand for life saving treatment, going unaided.
Not at all. It's been like that forever and ever. Even Seneca, that old feck who once claimed that he carries everything with him that he owned, was known to have amassed a huge fortune after making it big in roman society and reportedly dined off tables made from lemon tree wood with ivory legs. When people get rich, they buy expensive crap no matter how many poor people might be around. Since always. The big difference in modern society is that we can now see pictures, tweets and videos of those rich people and their golden crap whenever we fancy it.

A 50,000 pound watch, incredible.
Sounds a lot, but it isn't. Not in the whacky world of watches.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Typical scousers. Oh wait he still lives in crime free Manchester.

I know that he doesn't.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Keep reading the title as 'Rodgers ambush Tom Cleverley' which is way more amusing than what actually happened.

Baxter

No joke yet about the irony of TC stealing a living as a footballer?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You're getting a lot of stick for this but feck them, you absolutely have a valid point.

I wouldn't like people telling me how to spend my money and I'm not short on material goods myself, so I can see the hypocrisy here. Even so, I can't help think it's fecking vulgar spending so much on materialistic 'luxury'.
How much does Tom Cleverley contribute to charity, exactly?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I always though Tom Cleverley meant ingenious ways of wanking. (Tom Tank)

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I'm surprised that some people are surprised that average Premier League footballers earn so much... and that luxurious watches, handbags, shoes etc are priced at tens of grands.

Do you really expect him to live in a house that cost £500,000? Even Sol Campbell's London pad was worth £30 million and he retired yonks ago and didn't play in this era of overpaid inflated pay cheques.

Have some of you been living under a rock for the past 5 years?

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
How much does Tom Cleverley contribute to charity, exactly?
£5 pound a month direct debit to the RSPCA and a couple of quid in the collection pot for Bernardo's on his weekly Tesco shop?

I might have missed a couple of things though, so feel free to tell me how wonderful he really is.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nope, not really. Assuming the material cost for a £10 handbag is around £3 to £4, you get around £6 to redistribute to employees (labour, marketing, support). Material cost for a £10k will be significantly smaller than 30-40% hence the amount of money the seller has left will be higher. Obviously it's all theoretical because there's no way that all this money will be redistributed and a £10 handbag sold 1,000 times could still generate more income for employees but it's not as straightforward as you present because there are other sides to it.

Bottom line is he is not hurting anyone by spending £10k on a handbag. If he keeps this money on his bank account he's stiffling the economy, if he spends it on shit it is actually re-distributed so it's in a way better (well, if he has this on his bank account it will be redistributed by bank through credit etc. anyway but in this case it goes to sharks of the banking industry so no way out).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
£5 pound a month direct debit to the RSPCA and a couple of quid in the collection pot for Bernardo's on his weekly Tesco shop?

I might have missed a couple of things though, so feel free to tell me how wonderful he really is.
I assumed with you calling him a cnut for spending money on a watch whilst there are kids out there needing operations that you'd have had a breakdown of his charitable contributions in order to be able to draw some kind of conclusions.