Robert Lewandowski 2021/22 performances

Eric_the_Red99

Didn't Juve spend 100 million on Ronaldo when he was 33?
I think that was a bit different, as Juventus weren’t just buying a player (and one who is still in fantastic shape for his age) but one of the biggest, most profitable brands in world football.
Lewandowski has been a great player, but he doesn’t have anything close to the star power of a Ronaldo or a Messi. And so £100m+ for an ageing player, who might have one, possibly 2 seasons left in him, and doesn’t bring much more to the table, is way too much. I suspect Bayern are just pricing him out of the market

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Harry Kane after hearing the news on sky sports.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It really is just the weather, really. Especially for footballers. No matter where you are in England, if you’re rich, everything is nice.
If I ever hit the jackpot one of my life goals will be to never see winter again unless I need to travel to the Alps for whores and skiing

There's bastard weather in Britain every season, how do you account for that even if you rich??

redrobed

If he’s available for as little as 100m I’d take him as a stop gap for this season and then move for Haaland next season (assuming Haaland isn’t moving this window) and then we still have a quality backup for the season after. Glazers will never go for it though, they’d rather pay themselves a juicy dividend.

UncleBob

If he’s available for as little as 100m I’d take him as a stop gap for this season and then move for Haaland next season (assuming Haaland isn’t moving this window) and then we still have a quality backup for the season after. Glazers will never go for it though, they’d rather pay themselves a juicy dividend.
:lol:

Red Rash

100m + agent fees + wages is insane for a stop gap. Unfortunately at Lewandowski's age I don't think many clubs would be willing to pay that even though he is a great player.

Only hope for him realistically is maybe City if they don't get Kane.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
£100m stop gap. :lol:

Schnappo

£100m transfer fee for a stop gap :houllier: and then bench him for next season? If we had you at the helm, we'd be in worse shape than Barcelona :lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It’s not just the Glazers that won’t go for it. No one, except apparently you, in this world would go for that deal cause it’s so stupid.

BlackBen

Josep Maria Bartomeu is that you?

TommyGunn

Supports
Liverpool
Having a heated conversation with a friend, he doesn't think Lewa is world class! Anyone else agree with him? His argument is that he's only scored goals in farmers league and hasn't done great at international level. For me he is absolutely world class and the best centre forward in the world

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Having a heated conversation with a friend, he doesn't think Lewa is world class! Anyone else agree with him? His argument is that he's only scored goals in farmers league and hasn't done great at international level. For me he is absolutely world class and the best centre forward in the world
123 european cup games, 82 goals and 28 assists. We don't even need to discuss the quality of the Bundesliga to prove that he is world class.

kyofusho

Your friend needs to be beaten down with stats and logic :lol: Seems the only reason he doesn't believe Lewa is world class is because he's undervaluing the Bundesliga while adopting a lackadaisical attitude towards his stats outside of the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Didn't know that money does in fact grow on trees.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Tell your friend he is absolutely right and do not debate on this topic anymore. Once a person comes up with farmer league arguments, never try to engage with them. NEVER.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
What's up with the rumor that City will now sell Laporte and than sign Lewandowski.
Most likely bullshit about Lewandowski. Bayern would only sell him if Haaland is already sealed and they don't have the financial muscle to sign Haaland, so I'm pretty sure Bayern will never sell their crown juwel without adequate replacement. And that's only Haaland.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Currently 5 goals after 3 matchdays after completing a hattrick against Hertha just now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Your friend is stupid. He just beat Gert Mullers record for most goals in Bundesliga in a single season last year. Of course he’s absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt world class. He’s a generational player.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Just more insane numbers from Lewandowski.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Almost 1.2 goals per game over a fecking hundred games. Crazy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Almost 1.2 goals per game over a fecking hundred games. Crazy.
I think of “my era” of football as the 2000s and back then 0.5 was a good ratio for a striker and anywhere up to 0.7 was considered great. I remember playing football manager and players like Robinho and Saviola would develop into players who scored close to 1.0 and it always felt ridiculous.

This era has normalised that.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I think of “my era” of football as the 2000s and back then 0.5 was a good ratio for a striker and anywhere up to 0.7 was considered great. I remember playing football manager and players like Robinho and Saviola would develop into players who scored close to 1.0 and it always felt ridiculous.

To be fair, only a handful of players have normalised it. For the huge majority of strikers 0.5 is still really good.

amolbhatia50k

Superclubs, sports science, and tactics play a part. It isn't just the players alone.

amolbhatia50k

To be fair, only a handful of players have normalised it. For the huge majority of strikers 0.5 is still really good.
Its a trend. 0.5 is rubbish for the likes of Mbappe, Haaland and Salah too.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I think the change is due to certain teams having gotten really good at exploiting a counterattack situation. In the 90s/00s the scores were low, because even if you got a counter attack, unless it was a 1:1 vs. the keeper, they would just stop and orderly assemble at the box before playing the ball back to the half line again and everyone moving back, starving the striker on their own in the box.

It was one of the many reasons why people hated watching that type of football and why more people are getting excited since the 2010s. For me it was Kloppo's Dortmund starting the trend in Germany, just pouncing on those counters. They were very happy letting Bayern have the ball and they'd still win. Bayern adopted that and incorporated it into their possession play (since Pep) and there you have it, best of both worlds and a whole gang of support players for one striker. That's bound to increase his scoring chances.

Football these days looks almost like Handball, it's funny. Unless there's some fundamental change, this trend will continue as player technique gets better and better. I remember when Zidane stopping a cross and the ball being glued to his feet was amazing. These days most offensive players do that on a regular basis.

troylocker

Superclubs, sports science, and tactics play a part. It isn't just the players alone.
Its a trend. 0.5 is rubbish for the likes of Mbappe, Haaland and Salah too.
Like he said, only a handful of players. 4 players taking it to the next level is not a trend. The rest of the pack is still delivering numbers on the same level as footballers have delivered for ages....

Topscorers in the PL:
92/93 Sheringham - 22 goals in 41 matches (0,54 G/game)
93/94 Cole - 34 goals in 40 matches (0,85 G/game)
94/95 Shearer 34 goals in 42 matches (0,81 G/game)
95/96 Shearer 31 goals in 35 matches (0,89 G/game)
96/97 Shearer 25 goals in 31 matches (0,81 G/game)
97/98 Sutton 18 goals in 35 matches (0,51 G/game) and Owen 18 goals in 36 matches (0,5 G/game)
98/99 Three players at 18 goals, Owen with the fewest matches (30) (0,6 G/game)
99/00 Phillips 30 goals in 36 matches (0,83 G/game)
00/01 Hasselbaink 23 goals in 36 matches (0,64 G/game)
01/02 Henry 24 goals in 33 matches (0,73 G/game)
02/03 RVN 25 goals in 34 matches (0,74 G/game)
03/04 Henry 30 goals in 37 matches (0,81 G/game)
04/05 Henry 25 goals in 32 matches (0,78 G/game)
05/06 Henry 27 goals in 32 matches (0,84 G/game)
06/07 Drogba 20 goals in 36 matches (0,56 G/game)
07/08 Cristiano 31 goals in 34 matches (0,91 G/game)
08/09 Anelka 19 goals in 37 matches (0,51 G/game)
09/10 Drogba 29 goals in 32 matches (0,91 G/game)
10/11 Berba and Tevez 20 goals in 32 and 31 matches (0,63 and 0,65 G/game)
11/12 RVP 30 goals in 38 matches (0,79 G/game)
12/13 RVP 26 goals in 38 matches (0,68 G/game)
13/14 Suarez 31 goals in 33 matches (0,94 G/game)
14/15 Aguero 26 goals in 33 games (0,79 G/game)
15/16 Kane 25 goals in 38 matches (0,66 G/game)
16/17 Kane 29 goals in 30 matches (0,97 G/game)
17/18 Salah 32 goals in 36 matches (0,89 G/game)
18/19 Three players at 22 goals with Auba and Mane with 36 matches (0,61 G/game)
19/20 Vardy 23 goals in 33 matches (0,70 G/game)
20/21 Kane 23 goals in 35 matches (0,66 G/game)

You see? There isn't really a trend. Pretty normal spread through out the history of PL. LaLiga pre Messi/Ronaldo was the same, and with the exception of the 15/16 season (Suarez) they have been consistantly outscoring the rest by a large margin in LaLiga. It is all about the few players that recently has perfected their goalscoring ratios. Lewandowski's been topscorer in Bundeslige 4 seasons in a row, it's never been done before, and only Gerd Muller who was also an exceptional goalscorer is the only one who's been topscorer in Bundesliga more times in his career (6 vs 7). Lewandowski (last few seasons), Cristiano (at RM), Messi and now Haaland has been killing the numbers of the rest of the pack with a couple of exceptions. 0,5 goals per game is still good, but it's not top notch, just like it's allways been.

A couple of top notch goalscorers:
Salah has been a great goalscorer for Liverpool with 0,63 goals/game in all comps (or more importantly 133 minutes/goal), Kane for Spurs as well with 0,66 G/game (118 minutes/goal) etc. Just like Henry (0,61 G/game - 134 minutes/G for Arsenal) or Shearer (0,77 G/game - 112 min/G for Blackburn) was great goalscorers in the generations before them.

Lewandowski is in another league compared to that with Bayern with 0,91 goals/game in all comps (93 minutes/goal) over more than 7 seasons.

Only Messi at Barca , Ronaldo at RM and Haaland at Dortmund (1,02 G/game - 82 minutes/goal) has had better numbers over the span of multiple seasons and you have to go back to Gerd Muller to find the last player in a top league with similar numbers before them, and he was not a trend either, he was just an exceptional goalscorer.

Gunnerineverylife

Supports
Arsenal
Like he said, only a handful of players. 4 players taking it to the next level is not a trend. The rest of the pack is still delivering numbers on the same level as footballers have delivered for ages....

Topscorers in the PL:
92/93 Sheringham - 22 goals in 41 matches (0,54 G/game)
93/94 Cole - 34 goals in 40 matches (0,85 G/game)
94/95 Shearer 34 goals in 42 matches (0,81 G/game)
95/96 Shearer 31 goals in 35 matches (0,89 G/game)
96/97 Shearer 25 goals in 31 matches (0,81 G/game)
97/98 Sutton 18 goals in 35 matches (0,51 G/game) and Owen 18 goals in 36 matches (0,5 G/game)
98/99 Three players at 18 goals, Owen with the fewest matches (30) (0,6 G/game)
99/00 Phillips 30 goals in 36 matches (0,83 G/game)
00/01 Hasselbaink 23 goals in 36 matches (0,64 G/game)
01/02 Henry 24 goals in 33 matches (0,73 G/game)
02/03 RVN 25 goals in 34 matches (0,74 G/game)
03/04 Henry 30 goals in 37 matches (0,81 G/game)
04/05 Henry 25 goals in 32 matches (0,78 G/game)
05/06 Henry 27 goals in 32 matches (0,84 G/game)
06/07 Drogba 20 goals in 36 matches (0,56 G/game)
07/08 Cristiano 31 goals in 34 matches (0,91 G/game)
08/09 Anelka 19 goals in 37 matches (0,51 G/game)
09/10 Drogba 29 goals in 32 matches (0,91 G/game)
10/11 Berba and Tevez 20 goals in 32 and 31 matches (0,63 and 0,65 G/game)
11/12 RVP 30 goals in 38 matches (0,79 G/game)
12/13 RVP 26 goals in 38 matches (0,68 G/game)
13/14 Suarez 31 goals in 33 matches (0,94 G/game)
14/15 Aguero 26 goals in 33 games (0,79 G/game)
15/16 Kane 25 goals in 38 matches (0,66 G/game)
16/17 Kane 29 goals in 30 matches (0,97 G/game)
17/18 Salah 32 goals in 36 matches (0,89 G/game)
18/19 Three players at 22 goals with Auba and Mane with 36 matches (0,61 G/game)
19/20 Vardy 23 goals in 33 matches (0,70 G/game)
20/21 Kane 23 goals in 35 matches (0,66 G/game)

You see? There isn't really a trend. Pretty normal spread through out the history of PL. LaLiga pre Messi/Ronaldo was the same, and with the exception of the 15/16 season (Suarez) they have been consistantly outscoring the rest by a large margin in LaLiga. It is all about the few players that recently has perfected their goalscoring ratios. Lewandowski's been topscorer in Bundeslige 4 seasons in a row, it's never been done before, and only Gerd Muller who was also an exceptional goalscorer is the only one who's been topscorer in Bundesliga more times in his career (6 vs 7). Lewandowski (last few seasons), Cristiano (at RM), Messi and now Haaland has been killing the numbers of the rest of the pack with a couple of exceptions. 0,5 goals per game is still good, but it's not top notch, just like it's allways been.

A couple of top notch goalscorers:
Salah has been a great goalscorer for Liverpool with 0,63 goals/game in all comps (or more importantly 133 minutes/goal), Kane for Spurs as well with 0,66 G/game (118 minutes/goal) etc. Just like Henry (0,61 G/game - 134 minutes/G for Arsenal) or Shearer (0,77 G/game - 112 min/G for Blackburn) was great goalscorers in the generations before them.

Lewandowski is in another league compared to that with Bayern with 0,91 goals/game in all comps (93 minutes/goal) over more than 7 seasons.

Only Messi at Barca , Ronaldo at RM and Haaland at Dortmund (1,02 G/game - 82 minutes/goal) has had better numbers over the span of multiple seasons and you have to go back to Gerd Muller to find the last player in a top league with similar numbers before them, and he was not a trend either, he was just an exceptional goalscorer.
Great post.

Schneckerl

You really have to consider the number of chances current Bayern creates (Lewa had about 22 missed big chances in 2021 IIRC) if you want to compare Lewa to strikers from the 80s/90s/00s. Going back to the 50s/60s you'll get similar numbers ~one goal per game from the top strikers playing in lopsided leagues and super attacking football for example Eusebio or Kocsis.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
You really have to consider the number of chances current Bayern creates (Lewa had about 22 missed big chances in 2021 IIRC) if you want to compare Lewa to strikers from the 80s/90s/00s. Going back to the 50s/60s you'll get similar numbers ~one goal per game from the top strikers playing in lopsided leagues and super attacking football for example Eusebio or Kocsis.
Lewandowski scores at a similiar rate in the CL as he does with Bayern in recent years.
More to do with the side he plays in than the league,i suspect, put Bayern in PL and Lewandowski would score just a bit less than he does now imo.

Blackwidow

Since the beginning of the 2019/20 CL season Bayern played 23 CL matches, won 21, drew one in Madrid with a B-team and lost one match, in which Lewy, Gnabry and Goretzka were missing.

Goals for Bayern 78 (3.39 per match!) - goals against 15

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Since the beginning of the 2019/20 CL season Bayern played 21 CL matches, won 19, drew one in Madrid with a B-team and lost one match, in which Lewy, Gnabry and Goretzka were missing.

Goals for Bayern 78 (3.71 per match!) - goals against 15
Flick's CL title season was a due to Covid a wasted opportunity to set and break records. Just imagine how that season would have went with two games more. And yes I know they did break some records nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see what Nagelsmann does with this team and what opportunities this will create for Lewy.

Korwas

Found this stat on Reddit. Lewandowski has won the last 20 CL games he has played in, scoring 28 goals and adding 7 assists.
  • 02/11/2021: 5-2 victory against Benfica (3 goals, 1 assist)
  • 20/10/2021: 4-0 victory against Benfica (1 goal)
  • 29/09/2021: 5-0 victory against Dynamo Kyiv (2 goals)
  • 14/09/2021: 3-0 victory against Barcelona (2 goals)
  • 17/03/2021: 2-1 victory against Lazio (1 goal)
  • 23/02/2021: 4-1 victory against Lazio (1 goal)
  • 25/11/2020: 3-1 victory against Salzburg (1 goal)
  • 03/11/2020: 6-2 victory against Salzburg (2 goals)
  • 27/10/2020: 2-1 victory against Lokomotiv
  • 21/10/2020: 4-0 victory against Atlético
  • 23/08/2020: 1-0 victory against Paris Saint-Germain
  • 19/08/2020: 3-0 victory against Olympique Lyon (1 goal, 1 assist)
  • 14/08/2020: 8-2 victory against Barcelona (1 goal, 1 assist)
  • 08/08/2020: 4-1 victory against Chelsea (2 goals, 2 assists)
  • 25/02/2020: 3-0 victory against Chelsea (1 goal, 2 assists)
  • 26/11/2019: 6-0 victory against Crvena zvezda (4 goals)
  • 06/11/2019: 2-0 victory against Olympiacos (1 goal)
  • 22/10/2019: 3-2 victory against Olympiacos (2 goals)
  • 01/10/2019: 7-2 victory against Tottenham (2 goals)
  • 18/09/2019: 3-0 victory against Crvena zvezda (1 goal)