Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLars

I'm the opposite. The way he has settled in it feels like he has been here for years
It's very strange, but I'm completely with you on this one. They were showing his goals at the bridge for Arsenal last season and I found myself thinking: "Wow, how strange to see him in the Arsenal shirt!"

Can't say I was amazed when we bought him. Always knew he was good, but never thought that he would bring this much to the table. Oh how delightful it is to be proven so wrong!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's just a genuinely world class footballer. When everyone else on the team looks poor he still manages to look a cut above. Absolute class act.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It must be weird for him too. He must spend half the time thinking, "Yes, I'm playing for Man United", and the other half thinking, "Wait, how come no-one told me United were shit?" and then the other, mathematically dubious half thinking, "It's OK, we've won anyway due to have lots of amazing players, in particular me." The rest of the time he's probably thinking about tulips.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
It must be weird for him too. He must spend half the time thinking, "Yes, I'm playing for Man United", and the other half thinking, "Wait, how come no-one told me United were shit?" and then the other, mathematically dubious half thinking, "It's OK, we've won anyway due to have lots of amazing players, in particular me." The rest of the time he's probably thinking about tulips.
:lol:

So true.

He's amazing though, isn't he? Even when feeding off absolute scraps, he still pulls 6 or 7 moments a match out of the hat when you're just sitting there thinking "feck me he's actually that good".

As I said before, he's basically Berbatov as he should've been. Dovetailing with Rooney, being a goalscorer taking resoinsibility of Rooney's shoulders, being a target man who'll not only hold the ball up but then do something great with it, and also just lift our general play to another level.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I'd imagine he thinks more about the grey spots in his hair more than tulips. Then again I'm not Dutch so I don't know how they think.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol::lol:

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
:lol:

So true.

He's amazing though, isn't he? Even when feeding off absolute scraps, he still pulls 6 or 7 moments a match out of the hat when you're just sitting there thinking "feck me he's actually that good".

As I said before, he's basically Berbatov as he should've been. Dovetailing with Rooney, being a goalscorer taking resoinsibility of Rooney's shoulders, being a target man who'll not only hold the ball up but then do something great with it, and also just lift our general play to another level.
He's sensational. At Arsenal I was aware of the fact that he seemed to score whenever he played, but I never really watched him carefully. He's brilliant, he's very intelligent, and he always wants the ball. He's also a nasty fecker, which we don't have enough of.

I'd imagine he thinks more about the grey spots in his hair more than tulips. Then again I'm not Dutch so I don't know how they think.
I'm not Dutch either but I'm pretty sure they mainly think about tulips. Also windmills, and fecking ze pushy.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's sensational. At Arsenal I was aware of the fact that he seemed to score whenever he played, but I never really watched him carefully. He's brilliant, he's very intelligent, and he always wants the ball. He's also a nasty fecker, which we don't have enough of..
Agreed, particularly about the Arsenal-bit. I always thought of him as a very good player, who'd turned into a very good goalscorer with the added knack of most of his goals being peaches.

But he's got pretty much everything as a striker. The complete package. His movement is unstoppable, his touch is the best in our side, and his imagination and link-up play is great. Add his predatory instinct and his wand of a left-foot.. I'm just delighted we've got him.

Now why the hell did it take so long for you to join the dark side, Robin?

Platato

Psst!
the way we talk about RVP you would think someone has made a Youtube compilation of him in a United shirt

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ditto. When we signed him I thought he was good but looked the business in a poor arsenal team. Oh how little I know...
Aye, didn't realise he was this good. Seems a complete player.
Where have you guys been in the past year and half in terms of PL football ? How it only hits you now that he's a fantastic footballer ????

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He has that air of time on the ball, like Zidane; only experienced, technically-gifted & intelligent footballers have this.

December_16

The way he shuffled the ball around a bit, dummied before taking a curl by his left foot :drool: He doesn't always pull it off, but you can just feel the expectation of something extraordinary coming up.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
My next Manchester United shirt will have RvP on the back of it :drool:

He's consistent, isn't he?

Code:
 [U]#[/U]       [U]MIN[/U]   [U]OPPONENT[/U]         [U]RESULT[/U]   [U]COMPETITION[/U]      [U]DATE[/U]    [U]G[/U]   [U]A[/U]  [U][COLOR="Yellow"]■[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]■[/COLOR][/U]

0(1)  ☼ 22' v Everton A       | [COLOR=Red]0-1[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 20-08 | - | - |- -
 1(1)  ● 90' v Fulham H        | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]3-2[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 25-08 | 1 | - |- -
 2(1)  ● 90' v Southampton A   | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]3-2[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 02-09 | 3 | - |- -
 2(2)  ☼ 19' v Wigan H         | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]4-0[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 15-09 | - | - |- -
 3(2)  ● 81' v Galatasaray H   | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]1-0[/COLOR] | Champions League | 19-09 | - | - |[COLOR=Yellow]■[/COLOR] -
 4(2)  ● 90' v Liverpool A     | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2-1[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 23-09 | 1 | - |[COLOR=Yellow]■[/COLOR] -
 5(2)  ● 90' v Tottenham H     | [COLOR="Red"]2-3[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 29-09 | - | 1 |- -
 6(2)  ● 90' v CFR Cluj A      | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2-1[/COLOR] | Champions League | 02-10 | 2 | - |- -
 7(2)  ● 87' v Newcastle A     | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]3-0[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 07-10 | - | 1 |[COLOR="Yellow"]■[/COLOR] -
 8(2)  ● 90' v Stoke H         | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]4-2[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 20-10 | 1 | 1 |- -
 9(2)  ● 90' v Braga H         | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]3-2[/COLOR] | Champions League | 23-10 | - | - |- -
10(2)  ● 90' v Chelsea A       | [COLOR="SeaGreen"]3-2[/COLOR] |  Premier League  | 28-10 | 1 | 1 |- -

How did he get an assist today?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Delivered again for us. Keeps getting on the scoresheet, but then you have balls like the one that released young before the first red card (fairly sure I remember it being him at least) that shows he brings so much more threat to the team as well.

Nathan

I dont know what more to say other than this player is the real deal. He can score and create opportunities for others.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
World Class striker. Before, whenever we needed Rooney to drop deep in midfield in the big games (when defending), we'd lost a bit of an attacking edge because neither Hernandez nor Welbeck are good target men or good at creating some space.

Van Persie has surprised me in how well he can move with the ball and find empty spaces in which to receive the ball. Previously, we needed Rooney to run back up to the attacking areas to help out the strikers to get the ball away from pressuring defenders. Now, Van Persie just creates a bit of space between him and the pressuring defender without any help and spreads the ball out wide. It really makes our attacks faster. Add to the fact that he can finish with either foot and is a really clinical finisher. The guy is just pure world class.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Noods, get anyhwere near catching RvP's shirt?

It's still fecking weird seeing him absolutely love it on the pitch for United. Class Class lad. I seriously hated his guts a few years ago. Couldn't stand him.

How much of a hypocrite I am. He's world. class.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not Dutch either but I'm pretty sure they mainly think about tulips. Also windmills, and fecking ze pushy.
:lol::lol:

Quoted for brilliance.

LoveInTheAsylum

RvP staying down after a challenge is now definitely the most anxiety-inducing sight in football.

I was one of those who wasn't sure how the signing would work out & while he's obviously made it so that you actually question where we'd be without him right now, I think the fact that Kagawa hasn't yet made the impact we'd have expected means it wasn't completely stupid (well, maybe) to question it. I personally much prefer Rooney in this deeper position, linking with an equally intelligent, world class striker. He and RvP already look brilliant together & it should only get better. I agree it's how the Berba signing should have worked out. But it does feel like a change in plan that could waste of some of our talent & you can see it in how much Fergie's shuffled it around so far this season. But as it was then & as it is now, you don't pass up an opportunity to sign a player like RvP & you feel fine leaving it to the best in the business to find a way to make it all work.

And I too jokingly thought about what he feels joining us when we're not exactly at our best, but then you remember that no other player at Arsenal had a domestic trophy to their name & you realise it's got to be cool enough to play alongside those who have done virtually everything there is to in the game. The immediate connection he seems to have formed with the fans is one of the best things for me, he rightly seems genuinely appreciate of all the love he's shown each game. I didn't see it as first but the Ruud comparison feels more and more apt, nothing to do with playing styles but the feel of his role at the club, the fact that defenders similarly hate him for giving some back, and the same relationship with the fans that such reliably great strikers share.

Chrisjn

I imagine the feeling of watching him play for us must, to an Arsenal fan, be similar to how it feels to see Ronaldo playing for Real.
I'm over Ronaldo, see him as a Real player rather than
Ex-United. This will sting Arsenal fans until he hangs up his boots.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
It was his shot hit the post and then went in off Luiz...
I didn't get credited an assist on my fantasy team so I'm raging! :mad:

But seriously though, we would have won so much more if we had RvP instead of Berbatov. I don't want to open a can of worms but I just hope RvP plays at this level for the next 2-4 years.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I imagine the feeling of watching him play for us must, to an Arsenal fan, be similar to how it feels to see Ronaldo playing for Real.
If Ronado was playing for a Premiership club then it probably would be similar. Still, RvP is not in the same league as Ronnie.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
But seriously though, we would have won so much more if we had RvP instead of Berbatov. I don't want to open a can of worms but I just hope RvP plays at this level for the next 2-4 years.
It's an irrelevant comment though because Van Persie is a world class player while Berbatov isn't. It's like saying we would have won more with Ronaldo than with Valencia.

Gazza

If Ronado was playing for a Premiership club then it probably would be similar. Still, RvP is not in the same league as Ronnie.
I meant in the sense of the best player your club has had in recent times moving right bang in his peak. (I guess Fabregas was that too)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's the fact that he's moved to a club in the same league that makes it weird. Had Ronaldo moved to City or Chelsea, that would be quite disgusting. I didn't mind him going to Real that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.