Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
For feck sake, enough with the childish Rooney vs RVP bollocks. If you're a proper fan, you support and appreciate both of them. End of story.
I don't even understand how this dynamic has even developed, given that they're not really competing for places and usually start together when fit.

Mersault

I don't even understand how this dynamic has even developed, given that they're not really competing for places and usually start together when fit.
Because if we set up our team with the right balance, especially bearing in mind what type of players we're looking to bring in, they can't both start.

Brightonian

Because if we set up our team with the right balance, especially bearing in mind what type of players we're looking to bring in, they can't both start.
So we should fill the forum with ridiculous arguments about which one we hate and which one we love? No, they're our two best players and we should be behind them both, regardless of whether you think they can play together or not.

Personally, I think the man behind the '95 Ajax side, one of the best examples of total football in history, would find it amusing that some bloke on an internet forum thinks he can't fit his two best players into an effective team.

Mersault

So we should fill the forum with ridiculous arguments about which one we hate and which one we love? No, they're our two best players and we should be behind them both, regardless of whether you think they can play together or not.

Personally, I think the man behind the '95 Ajax side, one of the best examples of total football in history, would find it amusing that some bloke on an internet forum thinks he can't fit his two best players into an effective team.
How does not playing them together necessitate ridiculous arguments?

I see it as fairly self-evident that you won't always feature your best players because tactics and team balance lead to different line-ups. Of course, they can play together. But Rooney is not that mobile and neither is our midfield. Van Persie, unlike Rooney, does not really work unless he's up top. This debate has been done to death, there are pros and cons.

Whether players will bow down to LVG's methods and philosophy remains to be seen. Especially those who are more important than the rest. I'm sure exceptional people in football with brains would find quite a lot of what's said here, in the papers, on other forums and in commentaries during matches tedious.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
The best players don't always make the best team. Fitting Rooney or even Van persie is on name alone makes no sense. We need a natural number 10, which isn't Wayne Rooney. We have the choice between two high quality no.9's. Van Persie is the better player, but Rooney also has his qualities which make him valuable. There may even be systems where both can play together.

United22

The best players don't always make the best team. Fitting Rooney or even Van persie is on name alone makes no sense. We need a natural number 10, which isn't Wayne Rooney. We have the choice between two high quality no.9's. Van Persie is the better player, but Rooney also has his qualities which make him valuable. There may even be systems where both can play together.
Or 2 strikers with a number 10 behind them like this:

RvP------Rooney
-----Mata--------

United22

Lovely, what about trying to then form a balanced team behind them?
That's the part which fails because we just don't have any good central midfielders to support it. A Milan (under Ancelotti) formation could work if we had 3 solid central midfielders behind them (like they had Pirlo, Seedorf and Gattuso) and two full backs who would provide the width. In my opinion this is the way for us to go in whatever formation we head towards (having two fullbacks to provide width) because our current set of wingers are absolutely nowhere near good enough for us to rely on wing play. Not to mention a no 10 behind 2 strikers is the only way we can accommodate the three best players at our club (bar De Gea).

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
@Pexbo @United22 To do that I would need a lot of mobility behind them. Players who can stretch teams by running beyond the strikers as well as going wide. We need MOBILE centre midfielders.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
@Pexbo @United22 To do that I would need a lot of mobility behind them. Players who can stretch teams by running beyond the strikers as well as going wide. We need MOBILE centre midfielders.
I don't think anyone is disputing this! I just think a lot of emphasis is put on Rooney and RvP not being able to function together (when they've actually had some very good games together), when I feel the problems lay elsewhere. Midfield, as you state, but the wings as well which haven't been good enough for a while now. But central midfield is definitely where we need to fix things, it's the engine of the team and it's not good enough.

Brightonian

How does not playing them together necessitate ridiculous arguments?

I see it as fairly self-evident that you won't always feature your best players because tactics and team balance lead to different line-ups. Of course, they can play together. But Rooney is not that mobile and neither is our midfield. Van Persie, unlike Rooney, does not really work unless he's up top. This debate has been done to death, there are pros and cons.
What are you saying? My point was exactly that whether or not they can play together, it's ridiculous that this forum always turns it into a situation where everyone has to decide to hate/criticise either one or the other. As fans, it makes much more sense for us to accept that they're both excellent players, and support both of them.\

Whether players will bow down to LVG's methods and philosophy remains to be seen. Especially those who are more important than the rest.
They'll do what they're fecking told under LVG. Count on it.

And as I said, wait and see what he thinks when someone asks him whether he can fit Rooney and RVP into the same starting XI effectively. He'll laugh his head off. He's made a career out of fitting brilliant players together into every formation and system imaginable. This is one of the all-time great total football managers we're talking about. You think he can't get one of the best support strikers and the best strikers in the league playing well together?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just saw his goal vs Ecuador. fecking marvelous.

The replay from :54 seconds is glorious. Everything seemed to be in sync straight after that wonderful touch.

Great ball from Clasie too.

MarcRed96

It was a fantastic finish, hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of that next season from Robin.

Jaxa

The Guy when fit is the difference between winning or not winning the league, we need him fit next season and now we have a manager who know's how to cater for him in regards to keeping him fit, cannot wait for the new season already!

Firstouch20

Just saw his goal vs Ecuador. fecking marvelous.

The replay from :54 seconds is glorious. Everything seemed to be in sync straight after that wonderful touch.

Great ball from Clasie too.
The long ball to RvP was criminally under utilized last season when you consider how good his movement, control and volleys are.

Boycott

The long ball to RvP was criminally under utilized last season when you consider how good his movement, control and volleys are.
Remember the game vs Palace in September (2-0, Young dive). Rooney played a marvelous ball over which Van Persie brought down perfectly and smashed it against the crossbar. Bar that I can't recall much. Doesn't help obviously that he was so isolated and had both CBs against him because there wasn't any player occupying other defenders allowing him to move into the vacant space.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The ball rarely went through the middle...let alone aimed towards the forward. Looking forward to that instant change under van Gaal. He won't stand for that tumescent shite!

ZDwyr

A little harsh Rio played a few.

He just couldn't get it anywhere near our players.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
When I saw that goal I thought it was a shame he didn't do enough of it for us this season. I understand he had little service, but even when he did have service he missed A LOT of easy chances which has been his career for us so far. I really think he couldn't be arsed last season, and it really showed.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/29/robin-van-persie-kid-one-wish-football

The Netherlands had already secured their place in Brazil before that game, becoming the first nation to qualify. “In recent history, Holland have always been among the contenders for the World Cup,” he said. “We have a great team. A good mix of experience, skill and young talent. For a lot of us it will be the last chance, the last cry of a generation. Players like me. Like Wesley Sneijder, Raphaël van der Vaart and others. Personally I’m in my best period. Van Gaal gave me all the confidence I can ask for. He made me the main striker, my favourite position. At last! He made me captain. I owe him something. So I will be as sharp as a knife in Brazil. I will walk on fire for him if I have to. Like the rest of the team. We have a lot of options. Our coach has a lot of choices over there. I think we are going to do something special: like in 2010 but hopefully this time winning the final…”
I asked Robin if his dream had come true. “Yes,” he answered, “of course. I’m where I always wanted to be.” Then he looked outside, with a distant smile. “I’m still a kid. Still with a dream. I’ll tell you something that happened the other day. I had lunch with Rio Ferdinand at the club when four kids, 10 years old or so, came in, players from the youth set-up. They were wearing nice training kit from United and they looked about curiously. In 10, 12 years maybe they’ll play for the first team. I said to Rio: ‘Look... those guys, still so young, that might be our most beautiful time. No worries. Cool being dressed in your training outfit. All day long. Football shoes on. All the time. Just playing along. On the street, indoors, on the pitch. Tired? Never! Muscular pain? Hardly ever. Maybe a day, once in a year... It’s incredible how you recover as a kid. You couldn’t imagine being injured, you just didn’t know what that was.”

Then it was as though held just woken up and he smiled that huge smile again. “Leo,” he said, “my most important dream is to stay as long as possible the kid that I still feel within me. That’s what I am. And that is what I always want to be: just a kid with only one wish, to play football.”
:)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely love how much he admires Van Gaal. Not for the obvious reason that he's a United player and I hope that relationship to continue but for the fact that it shows the sort of respect and admiration that Van Gaal can forge with his players. I can't wait to see him fill our squad with confidence.

No one ever said:
"Moyes has really filled me with confidence and belief in my ability, he's such a great coach that I feel like I could move mountains when playing for him"

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
No one ever said:
"Moyes has really filled me with confidence and belief in my ability, he's such a great coach that I feel like I could move mountains when playing for him"
I'm sure Fellaini's said it in private once or twice.

Brightonian

Yep, especially considering how well we'd used it the season before (Fergie's last), and how well Arsenal did the season before that (a few very nice ones from Song stick out in my memory).

I remember a few from this season just gone which don't quite come off - he hit the bar a couple of times from balls over the top like that, iirc. But we weren't using it nearly enough. A lot of that is down to the fact that Carrick had such a disappointing season - under Fergie, he was almost always either the long ball threat or the man to make the space for a long ball from someone else like Rooney/Rio. Ultimately it all rests at Moyes' door.

Firstouch20

Apparently, Van Persie has other ways of dealing with young players. “When you had problems, Robin was always there for you,” said his former Arsenal team-mate Carl Jenkinson. “Especially for the youngsters. He was approachable and always prepared to listen to the opinion of others. Also on the pitch he always set the right example. You could say he was the perfect captain.”
Who said he wasn't captain material?

Sonny1972

i knew i was nuts when the squirrels started stari
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been finding form whilst preparing for the World Cup in Brazil and setting himself targets for the future. The Dutchman's career has been interrupted repeatedly by injury but he's quoted by Voetbal International as saying that he wants to continue playing for Holland into his late 30s.

Van Persie said "There are not many players who are playing for their national team when they're 36. I wonder how long I can make my international career stretch. I want to play until I'm 38 or 40 for Oranje. The longest of all. That's one of my goals in my career."

It's a good job Sir Alex Ferguson has left Manchester United because he'd have probably been trying to persuade Van Persie to retire after the World Cup in Brazil and save himself for his club, but there appears little chance of that.

In October 2013 as Manchester United's season was falling apart, Van Persie played in a qualifying match for Holland which they didn't really need him to. On October 11th he played against Hungary and scored a hat-trick, becoming his country's all time top scorer, the team won 8-1, but Van Persie was playing whilst injured.

"I played that game anyway with a broken toe. That was not fun, I had a lot of pain. We thought that the toe was bruised... Later turned out to be a fracture. Now I can tell you that. The moment you have such an injury you must conceal better. Otherwise your opponent knows it and that's not convenient."

Van Persie, with his broken toe, went on to play on 15/10 for Holland, and then five more matches in a few weeks before he had a lay-off due to injury. Perhaps not playing matches he doesn't need to do whilst having a broken toe would aid his long term fitness.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In October 2013 as Manchester United's season was falling apart, Van Persie played in a qualifying match for Holland which they didn't really need him to. On October 11th he played against Hungary and scored a hat-trick, becoming his country's all time top scorer, the team won 8-1, but Van Persie was playing whilst injured.

"I played that game anyway with a broken toe. That was not fun, I had a lot of pain. We thought that the toe was bruised... Later turned out to be a fracture. Now I can tell you that. The moment you have such an injury you must conceal better. Otherwise your opponent knows it and that's not convenient."

Van Persie, with his broken toe, went on to play on 15/10 for Holland, and then five more matches in a few weeks before he had a lay-off due to injury. Perhaps not playing matches he doesn't need to do whilst having a broken toe would aid his long term fitness.
Well, that explains his poor performances, then. It's amazing to think that, even with a broken toe, he could still score several goals for us and the Oranje.

I wonder if Rooney went to him for advice before the Bayern Munich match at the Allianz...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When I saw that goal I thought it was a shame he didn't do enough of it for us this season. I understand he had little service, but even when he did have service he missed A LOT of easy chances which has been his career for us so far. I really think he couldn't be arsed last season, and it really showed.
Also think about the number of times he hit the woodwork specially in his first season. There were many outstanding attempts that crashed the bars.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also think about the number of times he hit the woodwork specially in his first season. There were many outstanding attempts that crashed the bars.
I do remember that van Persie always goes through a period where he doesn't seem to convert any chance he takes into a goal. He did that during his best season at Arsenal where he frequently missed shots. This period normally comes up from January to March (sometimes April).

LR7

I don't think he should take much criticism for this season. His strike rate (goals/min) was still amazing (best in his career I think I read somewhere?) considering we played so shit and the service to him was more suited to a big man striker like Carroll. Not forgetting his injuries. The criticism he has received this season has been way disproportionate.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great article. I quite enjoyed his Table Tennis anecdote... hasn't Juan Mata said he's very good at Table Tennis? I wonder who would win....

Status
Not open for further replies.