6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator

He is very good at counter attacking. Spots run quickly and can play those tight little passes very well. Needs to improve his first touch though.

AshRK

His touch were really sloppy but his link up play was outstanding. If he had sorted his touch he could added on the 4th. I do not think a lacazatte or even morata would have worked in this style. Lukaku is what we needed and we have got him. Goals are coming from him.

AXVnee7

I thought he did very well today. Passing was crisp and clean and he contributed to the second goal. If he doesn't score, but links up well with the team then he's still effective.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His defensive contribution was enormous today. Arsenal's dead ball delivery was really good. Ozil's inswinging corners were so dangerous and it always seemed to be Lukaku's enormous frame getting something on it.

The talk about his touch is overly exaggerated IMO. His link up play, passing and control are all more than decent. His contribution all over the pitch is excellent, and he's so much more than a powerful poacher, or however he is usually categorised.

Smithy_123

Did okay today. With Lukaku I just hope he's a stop-gap, though. We need someone truly world class leading the line in the long term when available.

Pat Evra

I thought he did very well today. Passing was crisp and clean and he contributed to the second goal. If he doesn't score, but links up well with the team then he's still effective.
This.

I don't know why are people so negative towards him. Maybe because he'll never be 'fancy' enough for some of the folks here.

He has very good understanding with his teammates for someone who is still at the beginning of his United career. If you compare it to Zlatan's last season, I think it's way above.

Reactions: Akshay

Dobbs

Did well. If anything he needs a bit more help from the team to get the goals going again. For all our positive play today he didn't get a chance. Our delivery from wide is a bit hit and miss and we don't play too many balls down the sides of centre backs. The kind of stuff he needs. It'll come though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's wierd seeing Jose never subs him off, even at the expense of your team's balance (shifting him to the right and taking off a winger for Zlatan instead of making a straight swap, similar today, logic suggests he goes off for Rashford but Young did). Based on that and the way he left us, im starting to wonder if, what swung the deal in United's favour was Jose promising him unconditional full matches.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He is turning into a much more rounded striker IMO. Every game he doesn't score, his other attributes become better. This is a sign of a player with the right mentality for United.

Backrow Singer

He's been poor for spells of the season from an attacking sense but he was good today. Looked strong, it was the type of game that suited Lingard and in turn that helped Lakaku and Martial out because he was always an option for them and created space with his movement. Had more 1 v 1's today than he has for a while.

Will be a different game against City though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He never worked this hard for Everton, I don't remember him ever chasing back players and making tackles, coming back for corners and winning headers etc. He's clearly "all in" and is trying his hardest, that's why Jose is really pleased with him.

Yes he's having a dry spell but he is defending from the front, the rest of the team are scoring because he is causing a great distraction. He's also assisting which is important.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He is turning into a much more rounded striker IMO. Every game he doesn't score, his other attributes become better. This is a sign of a player with the right mentality for United.
He’s still third in the league for combined goals and assists. I’ve been pleased with him in the last two matches.

el3mel

It's wierd seeing Jose never subs him off, even at the expense of your team's balance (shifting him to the right and taking off a winger for Zlatan instead of making a straight swap, similar today, logic suggests he goes off for Rashford but Young did). Based on that and the way he left us, im starting to wonder if, what swung the deal in United's favour was Jose promising him unconditional full matches.
Why sub him ? He was the focal of our attack during the match.

IMO that was one of his best games this season, didn't score but he linked brilliantly with other attackers on counter, used his physicality well and won many aerial duels. Only problem was his first touch at some moments during second half.

If he keeps performing like this he'll score sooner or later.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

I think what pisses me off about Lukaku is not his shortcomings, I get that he isn't complete, and he still has a lot to work to do.

No, what really gets my goat about him is the way he carries himself on the pitch, when he makes a shit pass, or isn't in position, he berates the teammate who should be receiving the pass or making the pass, as if he did no wrong or as if he did all he could in the situation... When you're Zlatan or a RVN, you can carry yourself in that manner, but when you're a Lukaku who frankly disappeared when the team needed you most today, you have zero right to act Billy big bollocks.

Like I intimated in the first paragraph, if he showed the humility and workrate on the pitch like a Forlan or Hernandez, I'd have zero issues with the current Lukaku, but this attitude he puts on, simply just doesn't match up with the performances.

I know he talks a very good game: that he's not the finished article and he always wants to learn, but again, that just isn't showing on the pitch. And indeed it reminds me of a certain Memphis Depay, who also have would say he was doing all he could to be the best, but when push came to shove, he just wasn't there.

rotherham_red

Still think he is quite poor in the air at times for his standards and physique. He should be bullying Mustafi and Monreal, but did very very well today and Im happy with that performance.
Really? I was at the game and I thought he was diabolical. Did absolutely nothing as a focal point for us, and when we went down to 10, it was really 9 cos he simply did nothing to ease the pressure on our defence. The best example was when we had the opportunity to counter and Herrera wanted to make a pass into space for him to run on to, only he was at the edge of our own box for reasons unbeknownst to everyone around me, and instead Herrera had to hoof it out and the ball came straight back to us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why sub him ? He was the focal of our attack during the match.

IMO that was one of his games this season, didn't score but he linked brilliantly with other attackers on counter, used his physicality well and won many aerial duels. Only problem was his first touch at some moments during second half.

If he keeps performing like this he'll score sooner or later.
When the game was winding down every one bar him was making incredible defensive effort for you, when i saw Rom walzing around it instantly reminded me of that super cup match for us vs Bayern when he did the same thing while the rest of the lads were defending like heroes. Bringing Rashford on would have added the workrate and freshness and allowed you to defend (more) from the front, instead he basically played wingback.

It has to be an attitude thing with him because Jose has even made Eto'o into a player who runs himself into the ground, no way would he be instructing Rom to be so lazy.

el3mel

When the game was winding down every one bar him was making incredible defensive effort for you, when i saw Rom walzing around it instantly reminded me of that super cup match for us vs Bayern when he did the same thing while the rest of the lads were defending like heroes. Bringing Rashford on would have added the workrate and freshness and allowed you to defend from the front, instead he basically played wingback.
Lukaku was doing an amazing defensive contributions during the game, especially on their set pieces as he headed many of them out. Mourinho put Rashford as well to at the end to track back but Lukaku was vital during their set pieces, especially with Fellaini not playing.

Jose also left him at the end at the focal for any long ball we try to throw out to their side of the pitch while defending. Rashford can't be a target for long balls.

Pace Abuser

Im not getting the criticism. Yes he's not polished and he's not getting goals, but he's contributing pretty well I think. Have patience. I can see blatant shortcomings but believe he can improve.

I think he needs a rest too.

Last edited:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
When the game was winding down every one bar him was making incredible defensive effort for you, when i saw Rom walzing around it instantly reminded me of that super cup match for us vs Bayern when he did the same thing while the rest of the lads were defending like heroes. Bringing Rashford on would have added the workrate and freshness and allowed you to defend (more) from the front, instead he basically played wingback.

It has to be an attitude thing with him because Jose has even made Eto'o into a player who runs himself into the ground, no way would he be instructing Rom to be so lazy.
Or may be you expect different from what Jose expects from his 9. We had 8 players defending and apart from Lukaku none in the attack. It doesnt make sense for Lukaku to drop deeper as we won't have anyone upfront to hoof/pass the ball to. There wasn't any issues with with rate. He did superbly to get past Kos and would have been through on goal.

Lukaku occupied 2 of their players, had he dropped deeper Arsenal would have had 2 more players in the attack. It's very simple.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
:lol:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Was good today, just needs to get in the game more. I reckon Jose’s asked him to play a different role than he was when he first came. He’s made some lovely runs and passes recently, seems to be setting up play rather than finishing it (in the goal, finishing it in terms of giving it away is another matter :lol:)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Or may be you expect different from what Jose expects from his 9. We had 8 players defending and apart from Lukaku none in the attack. It doesnt make sense for Lukaku to drop deeper as we won't have anyone upfront to hoof/pass the ball to. There wasn't any issues with with rate. He did superbly to get past Kos and would have been through on goal.

Lukaku occupied 2 of their players, had he dropped deeper Arsenal would have had 2 more players in the attack. It's very simple.
You really see Jose giving Lukaku a type of tactical pass he didn't even give to Samuel Eto'o?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think critics need to remember that we did not sign a totally finished striker and that he has yet to complete even half a season for us!!!

Strikers like Lukaku need teams to be designed around them, which is perfectly acceptable given he is the tip of the arrow. And it’s commonly accepted that we’ve had issues at wide right, no10 and Pogba missing at no 8 through injury.

Even then, Lukaku blasted goals for fun to start with, and has been amazing facilitating others to score when he hasn’t. I don’t see the problem.

He’ll end up having a very satisfactory season this year and will boss the team from next season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not with us he wasn't.
I was under the impression that Eto'o at Chelsea was irrelevant since he was a stop gap. He was approaching the end of his career and it was like a swan song. Mourinho would approach this type of player a bit differently.

Eto'o at Inter was at the height of his powers, and so would be more important to consider.

automaticflare

People need to chill

His work rate is unreal and he has desire to improve everything in his game

He is still only a vey young center forward. Let him continue to grow.

Re goals, they do not mean everything. Someone like drogba only every scored more than 20 goals in the league once
As I said in another thread it is about the team

prath92

The young swap was just time wasting tactic. Young always finds himself in the farthest corner possible when it’s time to be subbed

SER19

I think he'll be on bench next week, even if his form wasn't as bad as it is, lingard martial rashford with a middle three of Matic Herrera fellaini

BigCaine

I think critics need to remember that we did not sign a totally finished striker and that he has yet to complete even half a season for us!!!

Strikers like Lukaku need teams to be designed around them, which is perfectly acceptable given he is the tip of the arrow. And it’s commonly accepted that we’ve had issues at wide right, no10 and Pogba missing at no 8 through injury.

Even then, Lukaku blasted goals for fun to start with, and has been amazing facilitating others to score when he hasn’t. I don’t see the problem.

He’ll end up having a very satisfactory season this year and will boss the team from next season.
Should even a unfinished product who cost 75mn be this bad at holdup play, one of the main reasons arsenal bossed us was lukaku couldn't hold the ball for more than a second on most occasions, he worked hard and actually linked up well but with every big match we play he seems to be a really poor buy for a Mourinho team.

NotQuiteManc

Technically, still room for improvement (for someone his size, he is pretty underwhelming when jostling and fighting for headers), his first touch is decent at best but his strengths are suited for United when the team plays on the break. Worked hard for the team and that's what most important despite lack of goals.

hn4manunited

Solid game for the big guy today. Some rough patches but overall a good solid performance. Worked hard for the team and was involved with our goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.