Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burnley 0:1 Man Utd

bubbles_

I’m confused about what his instructions are. He just seems to be observing play and receiving passes with no attempts to get in behind or shoot. He just seems really passive.

haram

I’m confused about what his instructions are. He just seems to be observing play and receiving passes with no attempts to get in behind or shoot. He just seems really passive.
We need to get closer to him. He has been fine his team mates are playing like shit.

Bobski

Like to see more aggression from him, but his work has been nice and tidy in the main. On our midfield today.

3KDré

I think he takes criticism to heart too much. It seems he's focussing a lot more on his hold up play recently and not making enough runs in behind when in reality the latter is what we signed him for. Very few of our players actually run in behind the defence or between the lines.

bubbles_

We need to get closer to him. He has been fine his team mates are playing like shit.
I’m not saying he’s played bad. Not making any runs behind the opposition defence has nothing to do with his teammates being close enough to him though. You can’t pass if he doesn’t make the runs. It’s all well and good hitting some nice passes but he doesn’t look dangerous and it gives Burnley less to worry about.

There was a passage near the end of the first half where he was half arsed chasing one of their players back, Lingard (I think) won possession back in a great position to counter attack but Lukaku is sat in our own half and as a result Lingard has noone to pass to and the opportunity died. I just don't know what his instructions are supposed to be.

haram

I’m not saying he’s played bad. Not making any runs behind the opposition defence has nothing to do with his teammates being close enough to him though. You can’t pass if he doesn’t make the runs. It’s all well and good hitting some nice passes but he doesn’t look dangerous and it gives Burnley less to worry about.
There has to be potential for a pass for him to make a run.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he was playing shit til that. Great play. Really seems to come alive when he drifts to the right and comes in.

Werd.

Always good to see a player put in the hard yards and improve overall. Excellent pass and vision.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lukaku cant play football. Lukaku cant link up etc etc etc

Bull-fecking-shit!

Hojoon

He's much better working the channels (especially on the right) then being a holdup/target man.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As others noted, looks so much better working channels than dropping deep - but does the latter all the time.

Still, looks okay today. Crazy how isolated he often is in the box - Burnley can put 3 on him in there as no support on crosses.

Vilev

Jose must change his set piece tactics for Lukaku and leave him upfront away from our goal. I know he is a big guy. But look at him, he is a disaster near our goal, against City, Burnley, in the first game and now. He can't defend. It's okay, he is a forward, not exactly in his job description that.
Yes it's kind of hard to leave that big of a forward, but we do have a lot of strong players, Pogba Matic both of them are higher than most. Just look at how Lukaku cleared the ball with his head just now, when he was alone. The guy is clearly not comfortable with this.

FujiVice

Our decision making when it comes to feeding this lad is shocking. How many times has he been open and one of your players have decision to either take a fullback on or pick the wrong pass?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Good assist. I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be top class, but he’s done well of late. He doesn’t get much service.

AshRK

People blame him but one must look at the chances he gets. ZERO. Its like our players don't like to pass to him. Stupidity

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No wonder he can't score. He has close to zero distribution, not only that he has to make assists for everyone else.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Our decision making when it comes to feeding this lad is shocking. How many times has he been open and one of your players have decision to either take a fullback on or pick the wrong pass?
Real selfishness from some of the players. He's open so much with easy chances and our players constantly take extra touches or slow the play down so much.

Needs a real vein of service into him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Got zero service from his attacking colleagues who displayed some awful decision making, and yet he still made a huge contribution, including an assist which was all down to his determination, vision and team ethic.

Hope Sanchez can feed him in ways others have failed.

Devil may care

Really tenacious work to create the chance for Martial, other than that he wasn't really getting any service but was also coming short a lot, strange game.

el3mel

Great assist. For a man supposed to be technically limited he's getting a good number of assists and chance creation.

Though I didn't like him dropping deep that much as a target. Should always stay in the back of defenders.

redmanc

Very poor/immature from Rashford not passing to Lukaku in the box, instead opting to take on a player and find an angle that never came. I guess it comes down to age but a wiser player would have seen it as the perfect opportunity to get their front man a good shot on goal.

Good performance from Lukaku on overall though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really good again today, fantastic work to create for Martial. As others have said a few braindead passes from the support behind, he could have been clean through twice.

Keep it up Rom!

El Jefe

He was the opposite of what you expect from him today. His hold up and linkup play today was nearly world class but in key moments when he could have scored he wasn't sharp enough.

With that said, it was a very good performance.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Excellent assist. I'm sure he'd have had a goal or two if any of our players felt like passing to him in the box at any point.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Credit to him, I’ve been very critical, but his all round play is getting better all the time.

MS4

Had some good moments but also some really clumsy ones. You never know if he will screw it up or manages a good pass or cross.

Still happy to have him

rotherham_red

My motm IMO. The last two performances have been brilliant and almost everything you would want in a Utd striker. Today's deserved a goal and but for the selfishness of Pogba and indecision of Martial, Lingard and Rashford, it would have come.

More than just holding it up, he was very intelligent in the positions he took up and the interplay between his teammates. I've got no idea where some of the criticism today has come from, honestly...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He does certain things very well but other things he's truly dreadful at. Like a good first touch inside the box to set himself up for a shot, it's often too heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.