Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
To be fair even at the time (pre-Neymar) I was shocked at the 75m agreed. Especially since he was rumoured for a 100m move all last season.
Thought it was a bit high in the summer but they got Rooney too so all is well. Now and hopefully down the road it looks like good money paid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Born to bang goals.
His record at Anfield shouldn't even be in discussion. Everton are a disgrace against Liverpool.

SAFocalypse NoMore

As I'm not yet allowed to embed media in the forum I would suggest everyone to visit youtube and type :watch?v=9U7XubneewI
I need some love here people! :angel:

The thing I like most about having him in the team is the anticipation of magic that can spark at any moment when he's up front.
I mean, knowing he'll play and wondering how many he will bang in this season makes you countdown to the next game even more, right?
Haven't felt this teenager adoration for a football player since Ruud :D

carlosp

As I'm not yet allowed to embed media in the forum I would suggest everyone to visit youtube and type :watch?v=9U7XubneewI

The thing I like most about having him in the team is the anticipation of magic that can spark at any moment when he's up front.
I mean, knowing he'll play and wondering how many he will bang in this season makes you countdown to the next game even more, right?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Agreed, it's been a while since we had a player I feel will score in every game. Not since Rooney 10 or ronaldo 08.

I like that even when he's having a "quiet" game he still pops up with a goal. Sign of a great striker.

ash_86

His only intension is to get on the score sheet. Very refreshing to have someone who is in the pitch for goals and goals only.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

Highlights has his disallowed goal although not the whole thing to show he was maybe on side.
This guy has now got a serious swagger about him. Its like flourishing at United has given him so much confidence. I'm referring mainly to that pass towards the end...he'd never have done that when playing with Everton (whether thats due to quality of players around him...)

Excited for Saturday now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has this presence on pitch, and always score. What more can you ask for? He is the perfect no.9 for us.

Ainu

Agreed, it's been a while since we had a player I feel will score in every game. Not since Rooney 10 or ronaldo 08.

I like that even when he's having a "quiet" game he still pops up with a goal. Sign of a great striker.
Van Persie 12-13 surely?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Van Persie 12-13 surely?
Yeah I forgot about RVP, he only really had that debut season though and after that he dropped off.

I can see Lukaku keeping this up for a good few years fingers crossed.

AgentP

Yeah I forgot about RVP, he only really had that debut season though and after that he dropped off.

I can see Lukaku keeping this up for a good few years fingers crossed.
If Fergie had stayed, he would have had atleast one more good season. No one can survive under David Moyes. In a single season, he removed all our title winning backroom staff, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and destroyed RVP. But the greatest mistake of them all was giving Rooney a 300k/week 5-year contract.

Back on topic, Lukaku has atleast a good 5-6 years of elite football in him. He is just 24. Things are looking promising.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If Fergie had stayed, he would have had atleast one more good season. No one can survive under David Moyes. In a single season, he removed all our title winning backroom staff, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and destroyed RVP. But the greatest mistake of them all was giving Rooney a 300k/week 5-year contract.

Back on topic, Lukaku has atleast a good 5-6 years of elite football in him. He is just 24. Things are looking promising.
Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, that was deemed as one of the good things he did, as we were all shitting ourselves at the thought of Rooney going to Chelsea with something to prove. It was certainly celebrated on here.

AgentP

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, that was deemed as one of the good things he did, as we were all shitting ourselves at the thought of Rooney going to Chelsea with something to prove. It was certainly celebrated on here.
Of course. At that time, I also wanted Rooney to stay. I was afraid that Rooney might leave and then rediscover his fire or something like what happened with Tevez. Also, there was too much instability around the club at the time and Rooney leaving would have just added to it. But in the end it turned out to be a terrible decision.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Of course. At that time, I also wanted Rooney to stay. I was afraid that Rooney might leave and then rediscover his fire or something like what happened with Tevez. Also, there was too much instability around the club at the time and Rooney leaving would have just added to it. But in the end it turned out to be a terrible decision.
As much as I have no issue sticking the boot in Moyes, I don't think the decision can be blamed.

At the time, it was a very good decision, and one we all wanted. He was our best player in a pretty awful year. David Moyes couldn't predict the future and envisage how rapidly he would decline, and to be fair, nobody else did either, which is why we were chuffed he'd been tied down than been allowed to go to Chelsea. That buck definitely stops with Rooney, and not Moyes IMO.

Same with Januzaj. Tying him down was another very good thing he did, as he was supposed to be a top prospect and he was on the brink of doing what Pogba did. We were shitting it at the thought of him walking to PSG for nothing. He ended up failing miserably here, but I don't think that falls on Moyes either. He did what every United fan on earth was desperate for him to do.

If he had let both Rooney and Januzaj go at that time, he'd have been murdered.

AgentP

As much as I have no issue sticking the boot in Moyes, I don't think the decision can be blamed.

At the time, it was a very good decision, and one we all wanted. He was our best player in a pretty awful year. David Moyes couldn't predict the future and envisage how rapidly he would decline, and to be fair, nobody else did either, which is why we were chuffed he'd been tied down than been allowed to go to Chelsea. That buck definitely stops with Rooney, and not Moyes IMO.

Same with Januzaj. Tying him down was another very good thing he did, as he was supposed to be a top prospect and he was on the brink of doing what Pogba did. We were shitting it at the thought of him walking to PSG for nothing. He ended up failing miserably here, but I don't think that falls on Moyes either. He did what every United fan on earth was desperate for him to do.

Agree that both these decisions were the right ones at the time. We can give that much to Moyes as he pretty much did everything else wrong.

RedChip

I have been pleasantly surprised by him, now that I have had the opportunity to watch him closely. He looks awkward on the ball, and, so, I think seems less skillful than he is. While I was sure he would score plenty for us, I underrated his overall game. It is working out really well. Long may it continue.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This season, 13 games - 16 goals. Scored in 12 games. Amazing record. Shame he missed penalty against Leicester, would have been 13/13 this season.

RedRevongge

I have been amazed by him so far. I was sure he would do well for us but he has more than exceeded the expectations so far.

The main thing that surprised me is that he is a much better footballer than I thought. Particularly when we signed him and people were saying he has a poor touch etc.

His finishing also caught me slightly off guard. He is very very good when one on one with the keeper. Must be a nightmare to face considering his power and pace

Litch

This guy has now got a serious swagger about him. Its like flourishing at United has given him so much confidence. I'm referring mainly to that pass towards the end...he'd never have done that when playing with Everton (whether thats due to quality of players around him...)

Excited for Saturday now.
Agree. Just watched that highlight reel was laughing to myself about his 'poor' first touch. Agree this lads already gone up a notch since coming here, he I can only see him getting better.

Trizy

Tbh I can only see his form lasting. Of course he won't score a goal a game for the rest of the season but he'll have close to a 0.90 ratio by the end of the season. He's a very confident player and seems to thrive on the expectations of playing for the best.

He also has the main recipes for success in the modern game; Hardworking. There are several examples throughout the season but two that caught my eye was him and Pogba training hard on their summer holidays and him staying back every training session to work on finishing.

Working on finishing when he is already a lethal finisher.. I love it :D

OldTrevil

Disagree. Van Persie had just won us the league and was clearly our best player, Moyes complete mismanagement of the team including trying to play Rooney behind RVP was the cause of that awful year, RVP was immediately drained of service for starters. We certainly didn't all want or agree with the contract decision, I remember a fair amount of us going against the backlash in the Rooney thread for criticism a player whose decline had already started more than a year before. It might not have been on this forum but I said that the contract would brings us big problems moving forward. Fergie certainly saw it and left Moyes with a tap in of a decision which he characteristically bungled. Moyes was too daft to see the reality of the situation, it was as if he hadn't managed in the league and hadn't watched United for years. That buck fully ends with Moyes imo.

Anyway back on topic, I can't wait to see big Rom continue his great form, he's due his first United hattrick :D

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Disagree. Van Persie had just won us the league and was clearly our best player, Moyes complete mismanagement of the team including trying to play Rooney behind RVP was the cause of that awful year, RVP was immediately drained of service for starters. We certainly didn't all want or agree with the contract decision, I remember a fair amount of us going against the backlash in the Rooney thread for criticism a player whose decline had already started more than a year before. It might not have been on this forum but I said that the contract would brings us big problems moving forward. Fergie certainly saw it and left Moyes with a tap in of a decision which he characteristically bungled. Moyes was too daft to see the reality of the situation, it was as if he hadn't managed in the league and hadn't watched United for years. That buck fully ends with Moyes imo.

Anyway back on topic, I can't wait to see big Rom continue his great form, he's due his first United hattrick :D
RVP was our best player in 12/13. He definitely wasn't in 13/14, and had two lengthy spells on the sidelines due to injury during that year, in which time Rooney was far and away our best player. Even though Rooney was undoubtedly on the decline, the general consensus was that he had more left in the tank than RVP did and that it would be madness to let him go to Chelsea, and not just on Caf.

The amalgamated Rooney 2012-2014 thread is still on here. I remember it being referred to not that long ago. After his renewal was confirmed, the overall reaction in that thread was very positive (apart from that the contract supposedly included him being a club ambassador when he retires, which was not so popular.) and if you go back before the contract renewal, after almost every game from the start of the 13/14 season, the opinion was that he was our best player.

His decline was unfortunately rapid, but at that time, we needed him. I definitely don't think punting Rooney would have been a tap-in for Moyes and I'd predict the club would have had a big say on whether he was allowed to leave. With the struggles the club had in the transfer market that summer, I'd doubt they would have allowed it.

ManuMou

That's cracking form.
I really can't wait for him to bag his first United hat-trick. This weekend would be a great time to achieve it.
I prefer a 90+5' scrappy header from corner resulting in a 1-0, then

Last edited:

OldTrevil

RVP was our best player in 12/13. He definitely wasn't in 13/14, and had two lengthy spells on the sidelines due to injury during that year, in which time Rooney was far and away our best player. Even though Rooney was undoubtedly on the decline, the general consensus was that he had more left in the tank than RVP did and that it would be madness to let him go to Chelsea, and not just on Caf.

The amalgamated Rooney 2012-2014 thread is still on here. I remember it being referred to not that long ago. After his renewal was confirmed, the overall reaction in that thread was very positive (apart from that the contract supposedly included him being a club ambassador when he retires, which was not so popular.) and if you go back before the contract renewal, after almost every game from the start of the 13/14 season, the opinion was that he was our best player.

His decline was unfortunately rapid, but at that time, we needed him. I definitely don't think punting Rooney would have been a tap-in for Moyes and I'd predict the club would have had a big say on whether he was allowed to leave. With the struggles the club had in the transfer market that summer, I'd doubt they would have allowed it.
Van Persie's lack of service was a big issue on his form in 13/14, I remember many discussions on how him and Rooney weren't a good fit in the middle, something Fergie had realized by the way and pushed Rooney to the wing on many occasions. Rooney's touch and technique in tight spaces was an issue then, and the argument that playing him at 10 was counterproductive was raised many times. I don't think the consensus was that Rooney had more left in that tank, to the contrary the convincing argument was that RVP had more left given he had played far less football due to his injury history and the fact that his game never relied on pace such as Rooney's. RVP had the conditions to play at a high level well into his thirties unlike Rooney, and that was a majority opinion.

Most didn't want Rooney going to Chelsea that's true, including myself and others in the 'he is on decline' camp. It wasn't because he was still in his prime or our best player, but rather because giving Chelsea even a half Rooney was a no go. Especially with a strong and tactically astute manager like Mourinho who could have found a way to use him effectively and benefit from the little he had left in the tank.

Rooney's decline was well underway then, there were very strong arguments that we didn't actually need him and he was holding the team back. It would have been a tap in for Moyes to move in, he was in a position of huge power taking on all of Fergie's responsibilities with his blessing. Woodward was also new in his role, meaning that Moyes's decisions on football matters were definitely final.

I wont go further in this as I don't want to derail this thread off topic, Lukaku is far more interesting as a subject matter than the old Rooney issue.

cyberman

They were discussing Lukakus big game record on Sky this morning and shared a stat that he had 4 in 670 (around that) minutes and as they were saying he was bitterly disappointing in these games it dawned on me that 670 minutes is just over 7 games.
Is 4 in 7 a bad return v the top 6?
Even the presenter hesitated a bit when he read it aloud.
Then they show his record v Liverpool as 4 in his first 4 and 1 goal in the proceeding 7. Why didn't they just have 5 in 11?
Do they have to push the narrative that hard?
That really isn't a bad return

ManuMou

Everton is not Manchester United. I believe a player like him is made for big game. Reminds me of Torres and Drogba. Hope he gets one later :keano:

Jean claude van hire

Time for Big Rom to show why he's the difference. These sort of games will define him as a player and determine whether he makes the step up to the very elite forwards of his generation.

Man-United

There's no doubt at all. He's still world class. Our midfield should wake up and help him.

Traub

All the doubts people have had about Lukaku before signing him encapsulated in a half. Needs to do a lot better the next half.
Are you going off the one chance he had? Just like how Zlatan missed his one chance at Anfield last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.