6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

Morata has been injured and played less games hasn't he? So the total goal scored stat is a bit misleading. Ofcourse staying fit is a skill in itself so you cannot kick Lukaku for being healthy.
Only one league game hardly significant. I'd argue Lukaku would have benefited from a game break anyway.

I dont think anyone is blindly focusing on goals and assists, but more about contribution to the team. I actually think Lukaku has been good so far and has done well, but he isnt an elite striker and I fear he'll never be with the skillset he has.
That stats in this case are very relevant though. The suggestion around contribution is that Morata has aided Chelsea in scoring and Lukaku has hindered us or helped to a lesser extent. Given we've scored more than them it would suggest our other players must be picking up a lot of slack which i just don't see, do you? Chelsea have better midfield attackers for one thing so they should be miles ahead.

I just think this place is holding our players and manager to such a ridiculous standard right now. Because we can't meet that then everyone's shit

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
While I feel Lukaku is a very good striker who will score goals I think you're team would be so much better with a more fluid striker that would be able to link up play. With Martial and Rashford you have two excellent support strikers and I feel they would thrive playing with a more creative forward, the link up play and fluidity would be incredible

Someone mentioned it before but I look at when Bayern Munich had Mario Gomez as their striker, he scored quite a lot of goals but they became so much better when they replaced him with Mandzukic, he didn't score as much as Gomez but his link up play and ability to create for others made them a better team overall and more potent up front

Lord_Emz

Had it been Lukaku that had such a poor game against Liverpool and had missed two clear chances like Morata did yesterday we would not have heard the end of it from the anti Lukaku brigade here
Shhhh. Morata is the second coming of Jesus Christ!

AshRK

While I feel Lukaku is a very good striker who will score goals I think you're team would be so much better with a more fluid striker that would be able to link up play. With Martial and Rashford you have two excellent support strikers and I feel they would thrive playing with a more creative forward, the link up play and fluidity would be incredible

Someone mentioned it before but I look at when Bayern Munich had Mario Gomez as their striker, he scored quite a lot of goals but they became so much better when they replaced him with Mandzukic, he didn't score as much as Gomez but his link up play and ability to create for others made them a better team overall and more potent up front
What people fail to.understand is for the past 4 years we have missed a regular goalscorer and in lukaku we have got that. Problem is mata/mkhi, problem is our fullbacks inability to not cross the ball,.Problem is our winger who can create for him. But sadly for people the problem is either ZLATAN or lukaku.

James Peril

Say whatever you want about his mentality and character by chasing down wingers against Brighton at home, it goes without saying that something is not great when that is the only thing we «praise» from that game.

Bwuk

He could really do with Zlatans mentality.

If I'm a defender I'd rather play against Lukaku than Zlatan. Lukaku is big, strong and mobile but very unaggressive.

Kapardin

Say whatever you want about his mentality and character by chasing down wingers against Brighton at home, it goes without saying that something is not great when that is the only thing we «praise» from that game.
Yep, Jose praised him for playing LB for a stretch. Now you know something's wrong when it is a striker he's talking about.

Yeah, Real screwed us over Morata for sure.

Pogbasky

He may have been playing with a mid-table team but he was playing with one that was very much orientated towards getting the very best out of him since he was their best player by a distance. When he does get chances he's often clinical but I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest he's very dependent on good service.
This applies to 99.9% of strikers smh

Bruce Wayne

Lukaku has 8 goals in 13 league games and everyone seems to go crazy. Yes he didn't score on the weekend but he did haggle their defenders and he is always in the box. It's not like he missed 10 chances.

Overall, he is a big improvement on Rooney and argubly even Zlatan last season.

If you like numbers, Zlatan scored 17 in 28 league games => 60.7%. Lukaku is 8/13 => 61.5%. He's on pace to 25-goals or so which will be great.

Only 3 players scored more than Lukaku so far this season. Give him a break...

arthurka

Lukaku has 8 goals in 13 league games and everyone seems to go crazy. Yes he didn't score on the weekend but he did haggle their defenders and he is always in the box. It's not like he missed 10 chances.

If you like numbers, Zlatan scored 17 in 28 league games => 60.7%. Lukaku is 8/13 => 61.5%. He's on pace to 25-goals or so which will be great.

Tell that to Jose he needs one...

Scoring aside he contributes nothing to our game.. His link up play is some of the worst I've seen and him playing with a defender on his back is non existent cannot wait for Zlatan being fit.. Lukaku needs a couple of games on the bench..

Darkhorsez

I dont think anyone is blindly focusing on goals and assists, but more about contribution to the team. I actually think Lukaku has been good so far and has done well, but he isnt an elite striker and I fear he'll never be with the skillset he has.
You are joking, right? Scoring goals and assists is the only objective measure of a striker’s success. How do you measure contribution to the team then if not for those measures?

James Peril

I’d rather he missed ten chances mate, at least he would have gotten them right? He missed a good shot from outside the box, as well as scrapping a header or two, but his lack of chances and good runs were killing us. Several time he was stuck outside the box, just standing still instead of going for it... very strange.

It’s not that he misses chances and sitters, I wouldnn’t mind him missing them every game, it’s that he doesn’t get that many chances and that he absolutely does not bring others into the game.

James Peril

You are joking, right? Scoring goals and assists is the only objective measure of a striker’s success. How do you measure contribution to the team then if not for those measures?
If he scores 30+ in the league then fine, but if not, he must bring more to his game to make others play better. He just doesn’t.

Darkhorsez

I wouldnt say the only but the most important objective measure it is yes. But fans have eyes besides that too and express there opinions on forums.
Fair enough. My bet when the season is done and dusted is that he would score over 25 goals for us. Post RVP, we’ve not had a proven scorer for us. We’ve been crying out for someone to put the freaking ball in the net for a few years now. So I am ok with a guy that is seemingly poor everywhere but can actually put the ball in the net!

Greck

I’d rather he missed ten chances mate, at least he would have gotten them right? He missed a good shot from outside the box, as well as scrapping a header or two, but his lack of chances and good runs were killing us. Several time he was stuck outside the box, just standing still instead of going for it... very strange.

It’s not that he misses chances and sitters, I wouldnn’t mind him missing them every game, it’s that he doesn’t get that many chances and that he absolutely does not bring others into the game.
Was very critical of him after the match but after rewatching that game, have to say the criticism was over the top. His attacking play and passing is better than i remember. Dare I say good. It's just that his errors often result from blatantly awful displays of mistechnique that really stick out. His movement is decent as well.

A mega issue is our No.10s have been awful for a while now. Not enough being created through the middle.

chomsky89

Zlatan scored 17 in 28 league games => 60.7%. Lukaku is 8/13 => 61.5%
You have to compare goal per minutes on field, not matches. Difference being that Zlatan is Slightly ahead, rather than slightly behind.
This season Lukaku has 8 goals in 1209 premiership mins= A goal every 151,1 min.
Last season Zlatan got 17 goals on 2478min= A goal every 145,7min.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Some of us actually look at performances rather than just stats.

Pogbasky

This forum is a joke. The past few seasons we have been crying out for someone who simply scores. Mourinho goes out and buys someone who does just that and all of a sudden we're complaining that he doesn't do much else aside from scoring. I give up.

cyberman

Why 30+ though ? Who scores 30+ in the league anyway ?
Sush you, they're just stats.
All about the performances and fulfilling certain fans expectations of playing despite not knowing what the manager himself is asking of him.
Just stats

RedDevil@84

This forum is a joke. The past few seasons we have been crying out for someone who simply scores. Mourinho goes out and buys someone who does just that and all of a sudden we're complaining that he doesn't do much else aside from scoring. I give up.
People had the same problems with Chicharito.. There were many who said he only scores.. On the other hand, people loved Welbeck, though he couldn't score...

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Its not so strange that the striker bought for a lot of money who scored just 1 goal in the last 10 games and doesn't offer much else gets a lot of crap atm. It would be strange if he did not..

Last edited:

Siorac

Had it been Lukaku that had such a poor game against Liverpool and had missed two clear chances like Morata did yesterday we would not have heard the end of it from the anti Lukaku brigade here
Lukaku played pretty poorly at Anfield actually and missed his only chance.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No need to go back that far. Last season we had Ibra who would score and link-up play, but apparently he was too slow. Now we get someone who scores and is fast but he doesnt link up play enough. The funny thing is that people are fawning over other teams strikers who have shown worse qualities than Lukaku.

There are only two players in the modern game that almost never have poor games and they are Messi and Ronaldo. Every striker loses form when there is no creator supporting him.

RedDevil@84

And those people weren't wrong.
Depends on whether one likes the forward to be able to score first or score occasionally but try to be a playmaker, track back, run a lot, play in midfield occasionally and all such stuff.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Depends on whether one likes the forward to be able to score first or score occasionally but try to be a playmaker, track back, run a lot, play in midfield occasionally and all such stuff.
Its a ridiculous comparison to Chicharito anyway. Lukaku is fast and good in the air. He's also a physical presence, teams must dedicate 2 men to him in the box.

Lukaku when we are facing a parked bus is not that good because he is not a striker that can do special things with the ball. He is not a poacher whatsoever, and has shown countless times that he is very dangerous when he has space.

Lukaku has dropped in form because we are trying to use him in a way that he cannot play. Ibrahmovic would be much better during this period because he can play as a no.10 and no.9 in the same game. We have no-one operating in that no.10 space, Mata has no ball presence and Rashford prefers to be on the left-wing.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I wish we had Morata partnering Lukaku. What a deadly front line that could have been. Pace, clinical, link-up, headers, strength... I could go on imagining:drool:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No comparison between them. Just mentioning that its not the first time a player has been criticized for "just" scoring.
Well yeah, but those saying he 'just' scores are blatantly wrong since he has gotten 3 assists :). He also makes a lot of runs behind the defense to stretch them and does a lot of defensive work.

IrishRedDevil

His serious lack of hold up play is hurting us. We are under pressure and this is where you need your focal striker to be able to hold the ball for even just 10/15 seconds to take pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.