6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

This is just the way mourinhos tactics are. Mourinho is happy sitting deep and punting the ball up and allowing the opponent to win nearly every long ball especially if he is leading. Mou knows the risk of conceding like that is low especially if our midfield is strong. And opponent just needs to make one mistake and we can easily link up and score.

But yes lukaku is better as a channel runner than a static target.
I really just don’t get it. I think we honestly have a better team than what it is allowed to show because of these tactics. It just seems counter productive to me.

I totally agree that he is better at running the channels and getting in to space and he’s good at getting something on the ball but everyone is always too far away from him to get the knock ons. I’d wager at this rate Zlatan will go back to being first choice if he wants to continue playing this way.

engulfing

I really just don’t get it. I think we honestly have a better team than what it is allowed to show because of these tactics. It just seems counter productive to me.

I totally agree that he is better at running the channels and getting in to space and he’s good at getting something on the ball but everyone is always too far away from him to get the knock ons. I’d wager at this rate Zlatan will go back to being first choice if he wants to continue playing this way.
Just because it's ugly doesn't mean it's not effective. Look at athletico, it's not about fluent possession, it's about risk vs return. Given an opportunity they go from defensive shape to chance in opponents box within 3 or 4 passes and 20 seconds. Mou wants that directness, and we only need a few of these per match to generate goals. And in most matches we are doing that. The opponent on the other hand is forced to attack against a deep organised defence and has problems transiting the ball into dangerous areas especially if we press well and aggressively. Game ends up looking like a tennis match and that's just fine with mou.

Redo91

Bizarre decision from Mourinho to take the penalty off Lukaku. It was the perfect opportunity to restore his confidence before the Chelsea game.

Backrow Singer

Second half, last 25 mins in particular, I thought he was a fair bit better. Varied his runs a bit more and came a bit deeper at times. Showed some aggression and caused them some more problems.

Hasn't been easy for him, particularly without Pogba and we're still not 100% on our number 10 and wingers. There's a big hole between our midfielders taking the ball deep and getting it into the front three. At times I just wish he'd come towards it, if he does that he's going to drag two/three players with him and Martial/Rashford/Lingard will exploit that space in behind. Gotta help the team out sometimes when it isn't going according to plan. Lost a couple of balls up to but wasn't easy for him being as isolated as he was at times.

He's doing OK and the circumstances aren't ideal for him but I'd just like to see a bit more from him. He's a big player at this club now, would like to see him lead from the front a bit more.

Sylar

I think hes badly missing Pogba through the middle. I honestly think he will get back into the goals again like early season form once Pogba returns and we see more of those quick first time balls for him to get onto.
Its mad he hasnt scored in october and yet his record still shows as 11 goals in 16 games.

Devil may care

Very sloppy at times tonight but also had a couple of decent runs and played a couple of incisive passes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Bizarre decision from Mourinho to take the penalty off Lukaku. It was the perfect opportunity to restore his confidence before the Chelsea game.
I'm not sure. Could make things worse before the big game, on a game of chance.

jungledrums

I feel his toothlessness had a lot to do with Mourinho's approach to the game. Jose must have known Benfica had nothing to lose and would attack from the outset. As a result, we defended a lot in the first half. The only outlet was Martial, and he doesn't link up as much with Lukaku as Rashford does.

I may be wrong, but I think he'll resume scoring from the Newcastle game. Mourinho and Lukaku are a good match, our manager ensures we win the easy games and Lukaku ensures attacking returns against lesser opponents.

Can't say much about the penalty tbh. That is something the players and coach are better off deciding.
Surprised by this comment. I thought it was the contrary - Martial and Lukaku seem to have a great understanding. Martial creates at least one big chance every game for Lukaku that they start together, today being not the best example, but there was the cross and header which was just over.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku played with lot of freedom this game, this is sort of game he used to play at Everton. Starting as RW, running channels and dribbling at full speed. He is not that good playing with back to the goal but when played through channels he is very good player. That's his strength.

Even though he didn't score I was impressed with his game. Created few good chances and played a very good pass to Mkhitaryan. His hold up play and passing was good except one or two moments.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I honestly do not think that Jose feels criticism of Lukaku to be some form of sacrilege. I think in an underhanded way he was bringing this into focus whilst being careful not to criticise Rom himself, but putting the spotlight on aspects of his game. Jose can't really come out and say "his first touch is beyond terrible", what good would that do to Rom's confidence and their relationship, bearing in mind Jose has sold him before.

The things he does well are fine, but what he needs to work on is being able to fit into the style of play in a team that tends to be dominant. Not sure how he does for Belgium, but that is the only other side that he's had that experience with.

Antonedwin

He didn't stop scoring when pogba injured. He stop scoring when fellaini injured

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He just cannot play with his back to the defender in the same way that Hughes, RVN did, his holdup play is not good and he’s got the first touch of a concrete wall

He wlll score goals but we need to play to his strengths more

LoneStar

I don't know why Jose is persisting with the long ball when it's clearly not working. Lukaku is simply not such a player. We already knew what his strengths and weaknesses were, and hoofball won't work. I do feel for him these days, the service he gets is very very poor these days. Think he will benefit if we play another striker with him. But right now, he badly needs a goal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His hold up play really is terrible, although we knew that when we signed him. It's not just about his touch either. He just doesn't use his body as effectively as he can to shield the ball. Which is a pity because he's got all the strength in the world if only he could use it a bit more effectively. He's young enough that he can still add this string to his bow. I'm sure it's a big focus for him in training. It's really the only element missing from his game. He's got literally everything else you could want from a striker.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
With him in the side, we should create so many more chances, be it from crosses, long balls or passes into his path. Shame our attacking game is so poor he‘s starving upfront

roonster09

Scout
His hold up play really is terrible, although we knew that when we signed him. It's not just about his touch either. He just doesn't use his body as effectively as he can to shield the ball. Which is a pity because he's got all the strength in the world if only he could use it a bit more effectively. He's young enough that he can still add this string to his bow. I'm sure it's a big focus for him in training. It's really the only element missing from his game. He's got literally everything else you could want from a striker.
One of the reason why so many said comparison with Drogba couldn't be more wrong.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of the reason why so many said comparison with Drogba couldn't be more wrong.
Yup - Drogba was arguably the best hold-up striker the league has seen.

Lukaku is a potent finisher who wants to play on the shoulder.

roonster09

Scout
Yup - Drogba was arguably the best hold-up striker the league has seen.

Lukaku is a potent finisher who wants to play on the shoulder.
Yeah, running through channels and through balls is Lukaku's strength. Shame though with his size he should do better with hold up play.

Btw love he attacks defense from right wing. Used to do often at Everton but at ManUtd only did against Benfica.

roonster09

Scout
Comparisons with peak Drogba were never fair. He was very much a work in progress at Lukaku’s age and didn’t even sign for Chelsea until he was two years older than Romelu is now.
I meant style of play. Like I said in other post, Lukaku's strength is not playing with his back to the goal, it's running though channels.

Bulldogg

Honestly the only comparison you can make with Drogba is that he's big powerful and strong (also African heritage). Drogba is one of the most intelligent strikers iv'e watched as he got older he relied on his intelligence more so then his strength and power, he was just as good in his 30's as he was in his mid/late 20's. As much as i love Lukaku i just don't believe he will reach the heights Drogba reached. Lukaku's finishing and hold up play isn't as good as Drogba's was and his football smarts will improve with age but i just don't believe he's the type of striker that will rely on his smarts when his physical attributes start to decline.

Zlatan is also a example of a extremely intelligent striker another one is Morata, I believe Lukaku is the better striker currently and im happy we got him but iv'e watched Morata enough times and he's made me think "geez the was pretty clever what he did there" i just don't think that when i watch Lukaku.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In two minds of whether to drop him from my Fantasy team for the weekend.

He's due a goal though right?

Witchking

I have been a bit harsh with him and I keep forgetting that he is only 24. He will improve but I really feel that it's a bit late to improve your first touch and hold up play. Sometimes it feels like Rooney with his first touch. I see he always gives his all and is helping Martial, Rashford and is a true team player. Hope he is a very big success for himself and United.

Scoring and winning at Stamford bridge will give him a lot of confidence, not a easy ground to play plus it's his old team coupled with United's poor record which can all be put behind if he helps United win.

MuseJoris

Honestly the only comparison you can make with Drogba is that he's big powerful and strong (also African heritage). Drogba is one of the most intelligent strikers iv'e watched as he got older he relied on his intelligence more so then his strength and power, he was just as good in his 30's as he was in his mid/late 20's. As much as i love Lukaku i just don't believe he will reach the heights Drogba reached. Lukaku's finishing and hold up play isn't as good as Drogba's was and his football smarts will improve with age but i just don't believe he's the type of striker that will rely on his smarts when his physical attributes start to decline.

Zlatan is also a example of a extremely intelligent striker another one is Morata, I believe Lukaku is the better striker currently and im happy we got him but iv'e watched Morata enough times and he's made me think "geez the was pretty clever what he did there" i just don't think that when i watch Lukaku.
Drogba at Lukaku his current ages was nowhere near where Lukaku is now. It is way to soon to compare Lukaku with Drogba for anything.

roonster09

Scout
I know what you meant. My point was that strikers can improve elements of their game as they mature and improve. Just like Didier Drogba did.
Yeah sure. Hopefully Lukaku improves and i'm very much confident he will.

Stacks

Yeah, running through channels and through balls is Lukaku's strength. Shame though with his size he should do better with hold up play.

Btw love he attacks defense from right wing. Used to do often at Everton but at ManUtd only did against Benfica.
Do you think Lukaku's hold up play and aggression is superior to Heskey's or at a similar level?

Stacks

Hughes was the best in the PL at holding the ball btw, not Drogba

@DWelbz19
I actually think RVN had the best hold up play I have seen. Drogba had too many games where he flopped around like a fish, play acting. RVN the ball spun off his chest nicely and he backed into CB phenomenally before laying the ball off. 15 secs later and he is scoring a tap in.

KYcinco

Although his hold up play isnt great,our players are always returning from a defensive stance,so when he does have the ball at his feet,back to goal,close to the half way line ,the rest of our players are either running towards him or gathered with with the opposition.

What I would like to see is us playing the ball into channels more,that gives him a few extra seconds to settle with the ball at his feet.

Also Lukaku needs to position his body from a sideways stand-point, His awareness(of the opposition around him) with the ball at his feet/back to goal isn't up to par,so his stance from a side point angle will help him a lot.

TRA007

If only he develops a better first touch, still i have every bit of confidence that he will come good in the long run

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I would honestly stick him on the right wing when ibra comes back every time he drifts over there he is class, best crosser we have had in years from there.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If only he develops a better first touch, still i have every bit of confidence that he will come good in the long run
Come good? Yeah he could do better but have you seen his record this season :lol:?

Status
Not open for further replies.