Ronaldo (37) Slaps Phone Out of Child’s (14) Hand | Charged after 5 months of deliberation

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Slapping the phone out of an autistic kid's hand is unequivocally a very bad thing. And if he actually hurt the kid and left him bruised then it's obviously right that he faces punishment. If the kid's family want to try and pursue legal action and financial compensation then that's right too. Someone hit and bruised their son ffs, they're not the ones in the wrong and would be right to be livid. The fact that Ronaldo didn't intend to hurt him when he slapped the phone out of his hand doesn't change that, he still did it.

I defended Rashford for his exchange with a fan the other week as I generally think fans get away with too much when it comes to the way they treat footballers but it's very different when it's a kid and a physical action that actually hurts him, even in a minor way.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kid was way over the barrier impeding Ronaldo's path and trying to photograph his injury. People shouting abuse ect. Ronaldo got annoyed by an asshole. Of course he was wrong because that's the position he holds.
Harsh review on an autistic child :lol:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Harsh review on an autistic child :lol:
So autistic people can't be assholes?

Point is that you play with fire then you get burned. If you want to get in a pro athletes face after a defeat then you run the risk of a reaction. Obviously Ronaldo is in the wrong so let's all focus on that for a change.

Maticmaker

Makes a changed from "please give me your shirt" request... its now "please smash my phone"... and replace with a top of the range one!! :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So autistic people can't be assholes?
Their condition actually makes it more likely that they're assholes by society's standards since they have trouble judging social situations and interactions. That's not their fault though and this dude is 14. Though granted, children are also assholes.

Calling the kid an asshole in this exchange just tickled me. Id say Ronaldo's the clear asshole here.

Lightbringer

Since the police is investigating the incident as an assault case:

If Ronaldo is criminally charged could United suspend him without pay pending investigation and trial?

And if he is convicted, could United terminate his contract without having to pay Ronaldo a dime going forward?

Or would it be considered a minor crime and not relevant in the grand scheme of things?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Since the police is investigating the incident as an assault case:

If Ronaldo is criminally charged could United suspend him without pay pending investigation?

And if he is convicted, could United terminate his contract without having to pay Ronaldo a dime going forward?

Or would be considered a minor crime and not relevant in the grand scheme of things?
Yes, yes and no.

He won't be charged by the police though, let alone convicted.

diarm

Attacking fans looking for photos.

The latest in a long list of things Rashford isn't as successful as Ronaldo at.

L1nk

The fact that this is labelled as an Assault is indicative of the year 2022. What he punched the kid in the face did he? The kids hand doesn’t even look like it has a bruise on it, so he just has a broken phone. Absolutely stupid from Ronaldo of course but to label it as assault is absolutely ridiculous

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Yes, yes and no.

He won't be charged by the police though, let alone convicted.
Given that Greenwood has been on full pay after being charged with far far more serious crimes it would be impossible to suspend him *without* pay. I can’t think of a single example of a misdemeanour type offence where a player has been suspended and sacked.

crossy1686

career ending
This is actually funny, made me laugh.

“What happened to your screen?”

“Ronaldo smashed it…”

Funnily enough, his phone is probably worth more now Ronaldo went to town on it

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The fact that this is labelled as an Assault is indicative of the year 2022. What he punched the kid in the face did he? The kids hand doesn’t even look like it has a bruise on it, so he just has a broken phone. Absolutely stupid from Ronaldo of course but to label it as assault is absolutely ridiculous
I think that’s a bit unfair. The word ‘assault’ in the English language has certain connotations, but the legal term is very different. You seem to be choosing to apply your personal understanding of the word to the law’s definition of the term. This is not about it being 2022, it’s about legal definitions vs your individual understanding.

crossy1686

career ending
Given that Greenwood has been on full pay after being charged with far far more serious crimes it would be impossible to suspend him *without* pay. I can’t think of a single example of a misdemeanour type offence where a player has been suspended and sacked.
You do realise that an employer not paying him is essentially saying we believe you’re guilty before a trial? I’m sure if Greenwood is found to have broken the law he will be released from his contract retrospectively and United will take legal action to acquire the salary he has been afford while on leave, which is completely normal process.

Tavern in the town

Very surprised at the amount of “I’m not condoning what Ronaldo did but blah blah”. The bloke’s an absolute cnut.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You do realise that an employer not paying him is essentially saying we believe you’re guilty before a trial? I’m sure if Greenwood is found to have broken the law he will be released from his contract retrospectively and United will take legal action to acquire the salary he has been afford while on leave, which is completely normal process.
I know all that, and that would be the right thing to do. The post I was replying to asked whether Ronaldo could be suspended without pay if charged though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Can the parents siu him?
Finally someone getting in on it!

My actual views on this for anyone wondering it’s an absolute dickhead move from Ronaldo whether it was a child/adult or anything in between.

He is a 37 year old adult male you don’t slap people. He’s been a dickhead been caught out and in the eyes of the law he’s assaulted a child.

I have no issue with players giving a bit back to fans verbally but Ronaldo was not in anyway shape or form under threat of harm how anyone can say it’s ok is beyond me.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Greenwood has not been charged with anything yet.

croadyman

Shouldn't be taking out his frustration on the opposition fans, not their fault he plays for such a rotten toxic mess.

croadyman

Yeah totally wrong to do it, however like you say totally ridiculous for it to be branded assault

TheReligion

Abusive
I am sure the detectives thats investigating the case will look into this. Forensic evidence could be crucial in a potential court case. Maybe its possible to detect if the alleged victim is hurling abuse at Ronaldo before the attack takes place - or if he is just an innocent part.
There won’t be detectives looking at this nor will there be a court case. There won’t be any forensic evidence.

You have an odd agenda.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Legally speaking it absolutely is and has been an assault for a very long time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Obviously I don't condone Ronaldo's behaviour and he should be sanctioned, but it just goes to show that our players, despite what media and fans say, do care. Everyone is pissed and wants the best for the club, and whilst some people may say they need to show this on the pitch, unfortunately it's not always as easy as that.

Really hoping we can sort oursleves out going forward because its painful to watch these days.

studs

Stupid horse play from Ronaldo, if the cnut wasn't minted he wouldn't be taking a hit on that phone.

Maticmaker

A good lawyer for CR will say...

"Here is a man finishing a disappointing work shift, slightly distracted as he was limping slightly because of injury sustained in his gainful employment and he was at the time also engaged in conversation with a colleague as they returned to their allotted changing room.

Whilst being required to move through a narrow gauntlet (in a predictably hostile atmosphere) to reach a safe haven, he naturally fully expected to be protected from possible assault, but this was not the case, and he was taken by surprise when an arm suddenly was thrust in front of him holding what he thought might be a weapon, he instinctively sought to protect himself and smacked the arm away in what was clearly intended as a self-defence action".

All depends on where you are standing and your point of view....??

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Why didn't the police do anything given plenty saw it?
If you’re talking about the Ronaldo incident, the incident happened less than 24 hours ago. Unless the police actually saw it themselves I’m sure it would have to be officially reported, then prioritised, then looked into. I personally think it’s a nothing incident and will be forgotten in a few days without any police or club involvement, but I hardly think the police are dragging their feet.

MattofManchester

Its a mistake in the heat of the moment. Shit happens. Cantona kung-fu kicked someone in the crowd. Its a phone ffs. Most of us have done shit like this in the heat of a moment.

Nobody is perfect. Give him a fine to give to the parents(which is probably what they want) and get on with it.

On a side note, there shoul be a bigger distance between the players and crowd. Having players receive that kind of vitriol so close to them is crazy.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If anyone, ever mind some some multi millionaire adult twat did anything of the sort to my kid I'd not just shrug it off.
Obviously, that’s not what I’m saying… he’ll pay the consequences but just because he’s a millionaire people go over the top. If a normal person did that to someone you wouldn’t be getting anything back in return. So he should pay the consequences and then everyone should move on. Was just Ronaldo being a sore loser as always… people make mistakes and then instantly regret it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Obviously, that’s not what I’m saying… he’ll pay the consequences but just because he’s a millionaire people go over the top. If a normal person did that to someone you wouldn’t be getting anything back in return. So he should pay the consequences and then everyone should move on. Was just Ronaldo being a sore loser as always… people make mistakes and then instantly regret it.
Not being gracious to a winner is being a sore loser. A very priveleged adult smashing a child's phone is being an utter cnut. There's nothing to move on from, it just is what it is.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Twat. I was so excited for him coming back but it’s just not worked. Get rid in the summer

TheReligion

Abusive
Its a mistake in the heat of the moment. Shit happens. Cantona kung-fu kicked someone in the crowd. Its a phone ffs. Most of us have done shit like this in the heat of a moment.

Nobody is perfect. Give him a fine to give to the parents(which is probably what they want) and get on with it.

On a side note, there shoul be a bigger distance between the players and crowd. Having players receive that kind of vitriol so close to them is crazy.
Yes yes and yes

He’s in the wrong. He reacted and shouldn’t. It’s a big deal because of who he is. Nothing more.