Rooney Charged: Faces Two Match Ban for cursing | Appeal lost

Lance Uppercut

Strange that they didn't charge him when he did something similar during the World Cup.

Chabon

If we don't ban cameramen from being pitch-side after this then we've gone soft. The decision is, to quote another famous bit of camera-rage, a fecking disgrace.

Amir

What? Not a chance....only played 22 of our 31 league fixtures. Since the turn of the new year his form has been on a upward curve, and that hat-trick would have given him a ton of confidence.

Only to now have an enforced break.

The timing is terrible. When he is in this kind of form, we need to keep him on the pitch and going....
He's hardly getting anything more than a couple of weekends off following by midweek games. And he was never going to start against Fulham.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Surprised Rednev has not blamed religion for this farce.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I do hope our players/fans turn this against the FA.

Another shocking decision, no consitiency in their bans at all and it makes a mockery of English Football. They should be the ones in the dock for bringing the game into disrepute.

If anything this will only inflame our players and make them even more determined to beat Fulham/City. Ferguson will make sure we spin this into a positive. I can't understand why Rio or Rooney persist with playing for England when they get continually burned by the FA.

MacMUFC

Lets ban Micah Richards in retrospect....

Thought i'd post this in here instead..

As far as i'm aware the FA banned Rooney for using 'insulting' language. The language was not aimed at anyone and was shown to a live audience (and again on MOTD!). The same applies here to Micah Richards does it not? Cannot fecking understand this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Btw rednev in being a fecking twat shocker.
KM I have the utmost respect for your posts so please don't sink to the level of some posters by calling others "fecking twats" it doesn't do you any justice,
;)

RK

From the ref respect thread, but I think Joga's points may be relevant here.

And the FA, as Graham Bean has rightly noted, don't even follow their own rules most of the time, which further adds to the confusion of what is acceptable and what is not.

I would go as far as to say that the biggest problem facing the English game at this point in terms of discipline is not a lack of respect, per se, but the abitrary nature of the FA's disciplinary process, which appears -- and which they have even admitted: (from the Telegraph) In response, an FA spokesman said: 'Consideration is given to any comments reported to us...' -- to rely on them first being made aware of any potential offence having taken place.

It doesn't take a genius to figure just how unfair and open to abuse is a process that relies on the authority responsible for disciplinary matters first being made aware of a potential offence, particularly when the body that usually provides that service -- the media -- is itself in the business of reporting on all aspects of the game in which the supposed offence has taken place, and when it is obvious that they do not cover all parties equally (conflict of interest, anyone?).

That quote from an FA spokesman, as well as a comment made by Graham Bean in the same article -- 'The FA reacts to media pressure...', Bean said, '...the media coverage of Manchester United is out of comparison to every other club in the country' -- supports something which I have long thought, but haven't bothered to look at in any serious detail: that the FA disciplinary process is thoroughly corrupted, not by a particular bias towards or against Manchester United or any of the other big clubs, but by an inherent flaw in the way that discipline is handled.

It first dawned on me after Wayne Rooney was banned for three matches for pushing Tal Ben Haim in the face against Bolton at Old Trafford several years ago. It was a fairly innocuous offence that the referee missed during the game, but the media coverage was, as usual with anything relating to United and Wayne Rooney, intense (in comparison to the actual offence). Roughly one week later, United were away at Aston Villa and Nolberto Solano did exactly the same thing to Mikael Silvestre (it was literally the same offence!). Absolutely nothing was made of it, for fairly obvious reasons (non-conspiratorial reasons, it just wasn't news), and Solano wasn't charged or even criticized.

If the FA (or anyone else) was really serious about policing the game, and consequently, about 'respect' for officials, they would not only convene a panel every week to look at every game in detail from the previous weekend in order to find potential breaches of the rules that have been missed by the referee, but they would also watch every interview given after the games by both players and managers.

This is because it is only through a fair and consistent application of the laws that players and managers will learn (through experience) where the boundaries actually are. In the absence of a consistent application, players and managers, who will always push at the boundaries of what is acceptable in the pursuit of their own interests, are largely being scapegoated for a lack of leadership on disciplinary matters within the games governing body.

One of the hallmarks of a fair justice system, unless new laws have recently been enacted, is that existing laws should be consistently applied, and that punishments should be in line both with the magnitude of the actual offence, as well as the precedent set in previous cases. Currently, the FA meets none of these standards, and by failing to do so, they are not only sending out a confusing message about what is acceptable, but they are exhibiting a profound disrespect for their own mission.
Also, rednev's being predictable. Some people just find pleasure by arguing for the sake of it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I could see this pathetic decision sort of working in our favour. It will be a blow to lose Rooney for a couple of matches, but we've got a fantastic strike force to play in Berbatov and Hernandez and the whole thing could rev up the team and fans.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
cnuts. The media outcry has payed dividends in the end it seems, they've got what they wanted. He should have been warned about his future conduct and perhaps been hit with a large fine. If we were to miss 2 games because of this it would be ridiculous. if you're stupid enough to shove a camera in the face of a premiership footballer you should accept he may say something that you mightn't like to hear.

The FA are intent on taking all passion out of the game. They want a game played by robots.

Tonjo

It is time to take action on those idiots at the FA who is always setting double standard.
If Rooney can think well, he should also take action against the FA by retiring
from international football and concentrate fully on United who pays his huge wages. Be the first on record by retiring at an early age.

WireRed

It won't happen, but if I were him, I'd say "look, ban me for 10 games if you like, but I'll never play for England again, nor will I be part of your sponsorship functions", that'd put the shits up them, the thought of the best player withdrawing and biggest commercial tool no longer being able to support their brand would leave them up shit creak.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should be ASHAMED to be supporters of a club with players who SWEAR.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Anyone who thinks the F.A. don't come down hard on United, or indeed even just down on United because, you know we happen to exist, is probably blind and or the employment of the Agency.

I don't mean the CIA either.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So the FA say that the decision is based on the fact that he aimed the comments at the camera.

So in one fell swoop they have entirely undermined their own respect campaign. Reina screaming 'feck OFF' in the refs face is OK, but swear at a camera man and you'll miss two games.

According to the FA then, cameramen > referees.

Easy V

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, so apologies if so. I saw a couple of people saying MoTD handled the situation well on Saturday, but they didn't really have to show the footage in the first place, did they? Considering it wasn't a live broadcast, they could have easily omitted the footage completely, or at least censored out the audio. Considering that was the first time it was shown to anybody with access only to terrestrial TV, it's surely their fault that the majority of the country heard it, and as a consequence, complained. The BBC can hardly condemn him for his actions, when they actively chose to broadcast it without prior warning.

Chabon

It goes without saying that he should retire from the national team, English fans treat him like shit and this is the third trumped up charge the FA have thrown at him purely because the media loves a witch-hunt.

Number7

Ret's Slave
I could see this pathetic decision sort of working in our favour. It will be a blow to lose Rooney for a couple of matches, but we've got a fantastic strike force to play in Berbatov and Hernandez and the whole thing could rev up the team and fans.
Agreed.

Pathetic decision but he'll be fresh for the Chelsea return game and fired up as hell for the first game. Hernandez and Berba have enough about them to beat City.