Rooney Dropped | Megathread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

Easy to say but Joe Hart wasn't about to break the club's all time scorer record which has been held for the last 50 years by one of our biggest legends.

We can't underestimate the political pressure there must be on Jose for Rooney to break that record. I expect things will change massively once it's happened (ie. Rooney will be indefinitely dropped/sold).
It's not just Rooney's goal scoring record, but his unbelievable contract with image rights entanglement that Moyes gave him. United needs a banker added to its board, one who will tell them Rooney is a non-performing asset, and the remaining money in the contract is a sunk cost.

SirScholes

Actually I was agreeing with him and critical of your post.
We signed a better striker and became a better team and actually won the league. So it was actually a good move. After solving the striker problem others could then be addressed.
The problems should of been addressed instead of just papering over the cracks, the football was awful, I'm happy we signed rvp dont get me wrong, but that stellar signijng should of been made years before hand

POF

But that changing of guard put Rooney as the main man but who was replacing rooneys role? We took 40 goals out the team and didn't replace them.
For example ronaldo scores 30 Rooney 20 that equals 50 sell ronaldo that leaves you with 20 goals. Unless Rooney scores 50 we were always going to be short.
I'm not sure I said his best position is number 9 but when Rooney became our main threat he was essentially are only threat.
When rvp came in we then had 2 threats
Chicharito scored more goals than Rooney in RVP's season under Fergie so to say 2 threats is disrespectful to the other players.

We seem to be arguing the same point for 2 different conclusions. I agree that United needed to replace Ronaldo's goals.

The thought was clearly for Berbatov and Rooney to be the attacking axis post Ronaldo. It wasn't good enough though and RVP showed the value of having a top class striker.

SirScholes

Chicharito scored more goals than Rooney in RVP's season under Fergie so to say 2 threats is disrespectful to the other players.

We seem to be arguing the same point for 2 different conclusions. I agree that United needed to replace Ronaldo's goals.

The thought was clearly for Berbatov and Rooney to be the attacking axis post Ronaldo. It wasn't good enough though and RVP showed the value of having a top class striker.
Rvp showed his class at not leaving it all to Rooney, it was berbatov that was the weak link not Rooney and again because hernandez was the the striker.
Its down to the team being better, not because Rooney wasn't the main striker, if there was a Rooney up front and a Rooney in the no10 we would of won the league and probably the ones before that.....if that makes any sense at all

POF

Rvp showed his class at not leaving it all to Rooney, it was berbatov that was the weak link not Rooney and again because hernandez was the the striker.
Its down to the team being better, not because Rooney wasn't the main striker, if there was a Rooney up front and a Rooney in the no10 we would of won the league and probably the ones before that.....if that makes any sense at all
Two Rooneys? Valencia would be off exhausted at half time.

We're going around in circles here. My point about Rooney is that he seems more comfortable (and plays better) in a team that is built around him. His best partnerships at United were with Chicharito and Welbeck who are not elite level players.

The issue with that is despite Rooney playing better, the team is not good enough to compete at the top level. The solution is to buy a world class forward to up the level of the side. Rooney will play worse (I don't think he'd even be able to form a decent partnership with himself in your scenario above) but it is better for the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems nobody cares in the press today either. Seen no tweets at all about it, which is what we need frankly.

sugar_kane

Seems nobody cares in the press today either. Seen no tweets at all about it, which is what we need frankly.
Untouchable no more... thought I'd never see this day.
My love for Mourinho has risen, hope this is the permanent drop.
Agreed, Jose has played this one very well. He essentially kept playing him until no one could argue he wasn't shite and then benched him and we played great.

Still early doors though, if we struggle in a few games it won't take long for the Rooney lovers in the press to start mobilising again.

sugar_kane

On Thursday I managed to get free VIP tickets for the game through work and the compere in the dining big mentioned Rooney a couple of times, basically stressing that he's "probably just injured, nothing to worry about etc"

now it could be that he just either doesn't watch us properly or doesn't know much about football, but it did make me wonder if he'd been briefed to talk it down - bear in mind he was addressing 200 people and didn't have to mention it at all.

Coops73

I for one am glad he's been dropped again, just waiting for the bitching and shitty comments that will slowly "filter" their way into the press In an all too obvious Paul Stretford stylie.

sugar_kane

Hoddle - maybe bring Rooney on to lift the crowd.

Not heard his name sang once mate.

Tony Martial on the other hand....

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His terrible forst touch helped us score. #hemeantit

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The commentator actually said "created by one substitute, finished by the other" :lol::lol::lol:

I swear if we had scored before he even came on they'd find a way to attribute it to Rooney.

Minimalist

He is fecking shocking. I'd be delighted if he never played for us again. Fat as hell and just useless!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His set pieces are shocking, why does he rush over to take them?
Because he wants to pick up an assist. Brought nothing today, shpuld stay on the bench again, all three of Mata, Lingard and Rashford were better, Martial too.

prateik

Adds nothing.. Seriously... throwing a kid from the U18s would have the same impact.. if not more. What exactly is it that he does?

Gopher Brown

He did nowt but get in the way and slow us down when he came on. Plus, why is he taking out corners and free kicks? He's shite at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.