Rooney - Wants to stay next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is it not even more worrying that he would rather sit on the bench collecting wages than playing somewhere regularly with a World Cup coming up next year?
It genuinely leads me to think that he has actually received no concrete offers whatsoever.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Woody's biggest challange this summer will be to solve the Rooney issue. It isn't going to be easy.

One solution could be to extend his contract another ten years and let him be the clubs ambassador. The benefit by doing this is that the club can pay him his £30m over ten years instead of everything up front. (Or in two years) If Wayne wants to play a couple of seasons semwhere else the club can reduce the total outlay with 1/10 of the sum each year his is not connected to United.

The down side if this is Rooney's fast decline, both on and off thee pitch. Playing another season can easily ruins his legend status at this club. Media and supporters have a tendency to forget history and only remember what's in front of them.

The best solution for the club would be if he decided to continue to play somewhere else and accepted a one time pay off in the region of 50% of his total salary demands. But I think his agent are to greedy and only thinks short term, probably egotistical because this will be there last pay check involving Wazza.

Rooney at his best was a class player; however sadly the level of his decline is so transparent that surely even he knows it. Indeed he has been nowhere near his best for a few years now. Rooney at one time was good for Utd and Utd was good too and for him.

If Rooney insists on staying and if he can trigger another 12 month clause and does so (which is apparently his contractual right) he is in danger of tarnishing his legendary status. Yes he will be richer and Rooney will always be a Utd legend, however at what expense? How will he be perceived by Utd supporters if he remains at Utd when not wanted at the expense of the team for the next two seasons?

For Rooney to remain which is his contractual right - is to me not in the best interest for Utd. Surely Rooney can negotiate a handsome pay off – I believe ten million is being mentioned. If this is correct he should take the money and try to lengthen his playing career elsewhere. Maybe even view it as a new challenge.

Mourinho if he wants Rooney gone and the player decides to stay has to play hard ball. Rooney should IMO be told he will never play for United’s first team again. I appreciate Mourinho is taking a risk with upsetting the squad by taking this type of stance with a player of Rooney’s stature. However these are professional players who will be able to see at first hand the level of Rooney’s play which to me is slow and painfully predictable.

Maybe I am being harsh on a player I have enjoyed watching and playing for Utd for many years and who has helped us win many trophies; however he is past it and has been for quite a while and I am thinking what is best for Utd and not what is best for Rooney. Anyway that’s how I see it and I take no delight in saying so.

I'm still absolutely convinced the final year is the club's option. All the journalists who appear to have been briefed by the Rooney camp and the ones that have been apparently briefed by the club are all saying that the club hold the keys to that final year.

I think the most likely scenario is that Rooney stays this summer and gets his captaincy removed by Mourinho who will no longer give a shit about whether it looks like he and the club are trying to push him out as they've done everything they can to allow him to leave with dignity and they will no longer worry about loyalty payment disputes.

Rooney will struggle to get any minutes whatsoever and in January will agree a deal to move for free in the summer and the club will allow him to leave straight away on loan "so he has a chance of getting in the England squad".

I sincerely hope you are correct :)

izzydiggler

I really don't blame him for taking the £30m - it's an astronomical amount of money to throw away, especially as he's finished as a top player.

But his legacy as the 'kid that only wants to play' will forever be tainted and he'll undoubtedly be labelled a mercenary, who was more interested in money than playing the game. He also risks being ridiculed in the press and sections of United fans turning on him..it's clear that he would be best moving on but a decision to stay would be purely financial, which all adds to a rather unfitting ending to a great career. Shame.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is it not even more worrying that he would rather sit on the bench collecting wages than playing somewhere regularly with a World Cup coming up next year?
I've said it many times, the man has given up.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He's staying then? Not good but not the end of the world either. We can freeze him out but keep him as a reserve. The wages won't be needed until next summer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Rooney at his best was a class player; however sadly the level of his decline is so transparent that surely even he knows it. Indeed he has been nowhere near his best for a few years now. Rooney at one time was good for Utd and Utd was good too and for him.

If Rooney insists on staying and if he can trigger another 12 month clause and does so (which is apparently his contractual right) he is in danger of tarnishing his legendary status. Yes he will be richer and Rooney will always be a Utd legend, however at what expense? How will he be perceived by Utd supporters if he remains at Utd when not wanted at the expense of the team for the next two seasons?

For Rooney to remain which is his contractual right - is to me not in the best interest for Utd. Surely Rooney can negotiate a handsome pay off – I believe ten million is being mentioned. If this is correct he should take the money and try to lengthen his playing career elsewhere. Maybe even view it as a new challenge.

Mourinho if he wants Rooney gone and the player decides to stay has to play hard ball. Rooney should IMO be told he will never play for United’s first team again. I appreciate Mourinho is taking a risk with upsetting the squad by taking this type of stance with a player of Rooney’s stature. However these are professional players who will be able to see at first hand the level of Rooney’s play which to me is slow and painfully predictable.

Maybe I am being harsh on a player I have enjoyed watching and playing for Utd for many years and who has helped us win many trophies; however he is past it and has been for quite a while and I am thinking what is best for Utd and not what is best for Rooney. Anyway that’s how I see it and I take no delight in saying so.
I think Mourinho is keen not to be seen as forcing him out.

I think Mourinho is keen not to be seen as forcing him out.
Yeah I totally agree with you. I don’t think Mourinho wants’ to be seen as forcing him out.

If and I mean if, Mourinho wants Rooney gone, yet Rooney wants to stay then I think something has to change/give and that is up to the manager. If Rooney is not in our future plans and the aim is to strengthen the team then Mourinho has a tough decision to make.I hope a decision that suits Utd and Rooney can be negotiated.

As said I agree with you and it’s my viewpoint a firm stance of hardball is taken, though of course I could be making the wrong decision. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time:(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I really don't blame him for taking the £30m - it's an astronomical amount of money to throw away, especially as he's finished as a top player.

But his legacy as the 'kid that only wants to play' will forever be tainted and he'll undoubtedly be labelled a mercenary, who was more interested in money than playing the game. He also risks being ridiculed in the press and sections of United fans turning on him..it's clear that he would be best moving on but a decision to stay would be purely financial, which all adds to a rather unfitting ending to a great career. Shame.
Even if it's definitely 2 years it won't be £30m and the way the deal is structured with us managing his image rights and paying him accordingly it's not like he will lose the majority of it if he signs for someone else and takes back ownership of his image rights.

His basic wage was apparently lowered to £220k in this deal with him getting more room to earn from his image rights and performances. So the actual figure we are liable for as a club (not earning directly through Rooneys image rights) is closer to £23m. Then factor in the wages he could get elsewhere, let's say it's £100k a week. That's £11m over two seasons.

So £23m - £11m is what he's really set to lose with his image rights making up the rest. So around £12m.

From that £12m he can then make some up from his image rights which will surely perform just as well as a playing member of a lesser side rather than an exiled United player.

Obviously there is speculation in there and the figures are rough but it's really just to show that he's not just tearing up a £30m contract and saying goodbye to all that money.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some match-going fans lack loyalty to United, then. Apologies for not taking you into account.
I am loyal to MUFC, first.
The players will come and go, but the club will remain.
I am a huge fan of RvN. For me, he is the best striker who has played for us, in my lifetime. But would I want him back at our club? No way!
In the same way, I don't want Rooney taking up any more space on our bench.

The testimonial when he was struggling against retired defenders in their 40s, put Rooney's current ability in perspective.
It's not about supporting a legend, it's about supporting our club and wanting what's best for it.

Needham

Rooney is entering that time where he has to think about his post-playing career.
He should do his badges.

Nori-

If its true that he is going to stay unless we pay him the full £30m, then what a complete A*****E!!

We gave him a testimonial last summer, have made him the highest paid player in England for years even with his shit performances and even let him lift the Europa Cup for the team in the recent final celebrations. And instead of letting us free up funds to improve the team, this is the thanks we get?

Hi stance is a rumor at the moment but if it turns out to be true, he's destroyed his legacy at the club for me and many other fans. I won't be referring to him in high regard again.

spwd

I am loyal to MUFC, first.
The players will come and go, but the club will remain.
I am a huge fan of RvN. For me, he is the best striker who has played for us, in my lifetime. But would I want him back at our club? No way!
In the same way, I don't want Rooney taking up any more space on our bench.

The testimonial when he was struggling against retired defenders in their 40s, put Rooney's current ability in perspective.
It's not about supporting a legend, it's about supporting our club and wanting what's best for it.
Exactly, even if it was a true legend such as Giggs or Gnev, if he was this shit I'd want him out.

Suedesi

That article saying he can trigger a further year on his contract has got to be wrong surely?! How on earth could we leave ourselves that vulnerable? Was Ed on drugs when he agreed to this shit?! He should have his pay frozen for making such a dumb ass deal.

In the meantime, if true that Rooney wants to hang around then let him collect his money (it's his right) but move on by first leaving him at home - no taking up a spot on the pre-season tour. Furthermore, tell him he won't be making the bench under any circumstances.
I was ambivalent before and thought he should remain club captain at least if he's still here, but have changed my mind - strip him of it completely.
Jose should give him the Schweinsteiger treatment. Train with the under-21's

Minimalist

This is going to get a bit awkward before the solution comes by the sounds of it.

I like to think that he has some belief that he can have 2 or 3 years with a team lower down the PL. If he does insist on sitting out his contract with United, with Mourinho barely selecting him, I think he's declaring his career is finished.

red_devil83

Exactly, even if it was a true legend such as Giggs or Gnev, if he was this shit I'd want him out.
Case in point. Neville knew he was gone and told SAF he was retiring. Fergie tried to talk him out of it but Neville knew he was done and retired. Never once can you imagine him asking to be paid up his contract (even though the club may well have offered it).

This is how Rooney should behave. He's got enough fecking money as it is. Just retire or ask to leave. Be grateful for anything the club offer.

spwd

Case in point. Neville knew he was gone and told SAF he was retiring. Fergie tried to talk him out of it but Neville knew he was done and retired. Never once can you imagine him asking to be paid up his contract (even though the club may well have offered it).

This is how Rooney should behave. He's got enough fecking money as it is. Just retire or ask to leave. Be grateful for anything the club offer.

Completely agree bud.

beergod

Time for us to let him earn that hefty wage in a directors box schmoozing potential sponsors with Woodward. At least that way we'll get something out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.