Rooney - Wants to stay next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If Rooney does move to Everton I can see him having a good season to be honest. I think part of the problem with Rooney is motivation, he's done it all at United and some players seek new challenges to remotivate themselves. At Everton he'll be back to being the main man and he'll have the motivation of proving his critics wrong and trying to help push Everton up. He won't suddenly be an excellent player again, his fitness will still be an issue and although I think he'll regain some of his goalscoring ability I do think his first touch won't improve all that much and after a season or two he'll revert back to United Rooney.

Rusholme Ruffian

If Rooney does move to Everton I can see him having a good season to be honest. I think part of the problem with Rooney is motivation, he's done it all at United and some players seek new challenges to remotivate themselves. At Everton he'll be back to being the main man and he'll have the motivation of proving his critics wrong and trying to help push Everton up. He won't suddenly be an excellent player again, his fitness will still be an issue and although I think he'll regain some of his goalscoring ability I do think his first touch won't improve all that much and after a season or two he'll revert back to United Rooney.
Hmm, maybe, but having seen him last season - and most recently in Carrick's testimonial against retired defenders I'm not sure that motivation is the issue. He was surely motivated to become United's top scorer but he was still very poor in general. I just think he's one of those players that declines very suddenly - like Kaka or Ronaldinho. He's lost half a yard of pace which means he's constantly on the back foot and I'm not sure that he can regain that at his age with so many miles on the clock.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So if this is true, Rooney is getting fit early to play for Everton. So if he was staying he would probably be on the pies and booze still.

Sounds about right
Getting fit early?:lol: He's been living it up in Ibiza after the 'photo-op' of him getting back 'early'.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Those critics have been there for the last four years, along with the motivation of helping United become great again and the personal target of becoming our top scorer. Despite those things he was still well under par. He's done mate, just accept it. It's not just his drive that's missing, it's the aggression, the engine, he'll, even his touch has gone to shit.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I disagree with the idea of treating Rooney like that - like it or not, Rooney was an integral part of our club during one of its most successful periods, like it or not he is our club captain, a club legend and our top scorer of all time.....

all this is besides the point for me as we should as a club conduct ourselves with a bit of dignity

Moyes and Woodward made the mistake of getting into bed with Rooney with that long contract - they agreed to pay him the huge salary

Rooney isn't stupid, he knows he isn't part of Jose's plans and him still being at the club has more to do with other clubs not being interested - is putting him in the reserves supposed to make him more attractive to other clubs?

Rooney this year sat on the bench and took his demotion well - he'd do the same in the reserves I think and all we'd achieve would be making the club look petty and classless like we did with Bastian

I think we will get some interest late in the window but if we don't then the club should simply cut a deal with him rather than let Rooney hover in the background

the way we treated Valdes convinced Pedro not to sign and the way we treated Bastian was embarrassing and so Mourinho.... I heard the same nonsense on here from defenders of Jose in his treatment of Shaw, Mhiki and Martial - when did publicly attacking any team member ever motivate anyone? people suggesting we bully a club legend (like it or not) like Rooney so he might go to China is laughable

each to their own but maybe I just have higher expectations of how a club like Manchester United should conduct themselves - I prefer class and dignity myself
It does seem that the club does want to cut a deal.

Its simply that Rooney doesnt seem to want to agree to those terms.

What do we do then?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I totally agree.

Motivation is most definitely the underlining factor in Rooney's rapid decline. You can see clearly in the way he conducts himself on the pitch these days, lethargic, lacking commitment, prone to mistakes, unfocused, all of which we United fans are not accustomed to when it comes to watching Rooney play football. It's no coincidence that his decline coincided with that of SAF's retirement, along with many of his United pals either also retiring or simply leaving for pastures new, plus the massive salary being a burden on him. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where and how it went wrong for him.

If he goes to Everton a huge weight will be lifted, the fee should roughly equate to that of a bag of peanuts, his salary will be slashed in half and he'll back playing at his boyhood club. "playing for the money" factor out of the way, perhaps he will start playing purely for the love of the game like he used to. It's be great to see Rooney playing with that passion and commitment once again, just a shame it would be at Everton and not United.

Rusholme Ruffian

I totally agree.

Motivation is most definitely the underlining factor in Rooney's rapid decline. You can see clearly in the way he conducts himself on the pitch these days, lethargic, lacking commitment, prone to mistakes, unfocused, all of which we United fans are not accustomed to when it comes to watching Rooney play football. It's no coincidence that his decline coincided with that of SAF's retirement, along with many of his United pals either also retiring or simply leaving for pastures new, plus the massive salary being a burden on him. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where and how it went wrong for him.

If he goes to Everton a huge weight will be lifted, the fee should roughly equate to that of a bag of peanuts, his salary will be slashed in half and he'll back playing at his boyhood club. "playing for the money" factor out of the way, perhaps he will start playing purely for the love of the game like he used to. It's be great to see Rooney playing with that passion and commitment once again, just a shame it would be at Everton and not United.
Cannot agree with this in the slightest. I don't think what you're seeing is a lack of motivation - I think it is a genuine bewilderment (and genuine despair) that he is not able to do what he used to be able to. You can see it written all over his chubby pink face - he knows he's gone but hasn't quite come to terms with it yet. Which is understandable considering he has been playing at the top level since before he was an actual adult - his brain is still trying to compute the fact that his body cannot do what it used to be able to. IMHO of course.

buckooo1978

It does seem that the club does want to cut a deal.

Its simply that Rooney doesnt seem to want to agree to those terms.

What do we do then?
haven't heard anything from the club have we?

the only news I've heard is from Rooney himself - he talked about it right after the Europa League final and claimed to have plenty of options

for me and my purely speculative opinion I see 3 realistic scenarios

scenario 1. Roobey stays and we do what we did with Nani (which was ridiculous in Nani's) case - if we pay 100 to 150k towards the wages for him to play elsewhere I think we will find a club who will pay the other 100/150k in a loan deal

scenario 2. alternatively we give him 50-70% (pure guess obviously) of the value of his contract to leave on a free

scenario 3. he's really got some offers and clubs really want him. Rooney has experience and certainly has some marketing presence an ambitious club could capitalise on. He wants to leave to fight to make a difference again and maybe find a role back with England. He leaves on a free with a golden goodbye to supplement lesser wages - maybe up to 50% pay off (guessing)

I think Rooney will have been told his time is up if he hadn't realised it already - he's obviously going to try and get the best deal for himself - if he's here mid-August he won't be in our match day squads I would like to think which underlines his lack of a future- no need to humiliate a guy like some have suggested

I think scenario 3 is most likely, just ahead of 2. I still think some clubs/managers will think they might get something out of Wazza - it's early in the window and with the amount of cash floating about I can see a club taking a punt especially if we subsidise wages or give him a payout as compensation - Im thinking clubs like Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle, West Ham

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Cannot agree with this in the slightest. I don't think what you're seeing is a lack of motivation - I think it is a genuine bewilderment (and genuine despair) that he is not able to do what he used to be able to. You can see it written all over his face - he knows he's gone but hasn't quite come to terms with it yet. Which is understandable considering he has been playing at the top level since before he was an actual adult.
Welcome to your opinion, though I think you are undervaluing the power of motivation and its inevitable effect on a footballers general performance somewhat. Consider this, Rooney has won everything there is to win at United, broken countless records, scored countless goals, assists, free-kicks, grannies, Burger King the list goes on and on. Combine all that with the 300k he receives on a weekly basis, regardless of the standard of performance he produces, and it's not surprising how little motivation he currently has.

He needs a new challenge and Everton can provide that. Hope to Christ he accepts this new challenge.

Adebesi

the only news I've heard is from Rooney himself - he talked about it right after the Europa League final and claimed to have plenty of options

scenario 1. Roobey stays and we do what we did with Nani (which was ridiculous in Nani's) case - if we pay 100 to 150k towards the wages for him to play elsewhere I think we will find a club who will pay the other 100/150k in a loan deal

scenario 2. alternatively we give him 50-70% (pure guess obviously) of the value of his contract to leave on a free

scenario 3. he's really got some offers and clubs really want him. Rooney has experience and certainly has some marketing presence an ambitious club could capitalise on. He wants to leave to fight to make a difference again and maybe find a role back with England. He leaves on a free with a golden goodbye to supplement lesser wages - maybe up to 50% pay off (guessing)

I think Rooney will have been told his time is up if he hadn't realised it already - he's obviously going to try and get the best deal for himself - if he's here mid-August he won't be in our match day squads I would like to think which underlines his lack of a future- no need to humiliate a guy like some have suggested

I think scenario 3 is most likely, just ahead of 2. I still think some clubs/managers will think they might get something out of Wazza - it's early in the window and with the amount of cash floating about I can see a club taking a punt especially if we subsidise wages or give him a payout as compensation - Im thinking clubs like Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle, West Ham
There isnt a massive difference between the three options really, in all we are paying about half the value of his contract (depending on how big the "golden goodbye" is) to get him off our books and make him affordable for some other club to employ.

K2K

Any deal that we make has to make financial sense to United, and not necessarily Rooney.

What does the club then do if the settlement we are offering differs from what Rooney is willing to accept? What should we do then?

I think completely freezing him out of the first team squad might be the only option. I doubt the club wanted to do that with Bastian either, but we had to. And it worked. He left without us having to pay off his contract.

Minimalist

I think Rooney will be (extra) motivated if he lines up for Everton or another team this season. But that motivation will have diminishing returns as it always does with anyone and he will quickly within 2-3 months regress back to his regular present-day performance, which right now is just mid to lower table level at best.

To the person who thinks motivation is the cause of Rooney's decline, that really doesn't seem likely. Since Ferguson retired, he has been coddled by Moyes and then LVG who desperately wanted him to raise his 'hero' status at the club even higher, going out of their way to facilitate him in the side despite performances.

He's been trying to 'come back' for 4 seasons now. I don't think there are many more motivational scenarios you can get than being told you're shit and you're finished by football enthusiasts worldwide. He just can't answer them. He's physically fcuked and once you get over what he's done to this side you support, you feel sorry for him because it must be horrible to be in his situation at 31 (an age that most top players are still delivering something).

buckooo1978

Any deal that we make has to make financial sense to United, and not necessarily Rooney.

What does the club then do if the settlement we are offering differs from what Rooney is willing to accept? What should we do then?

I think completely freezing him out of the first team squad might be the only option. I doubt the club wanted to do that with Bastian either, but we had to. And it worked. He left without us having to pay off his contract.
I disagree on Bastian- I feel that Mourinho wanted to make a statement and it was a mistake - Bastian impressed when he eventually played and certainly looked a more useful player than Fellaini

the banishing to the reserves was excessive and creates a poor image of the club in it's treatment of players

if Rooney has no intention of leaving even if he knows he won't play unless we have a massive injury crisis I'd be very very surprised

he would be part of the first team squad but wouldn't get near the bench you'd expect.

as I said I think a compromise will be reached but I still wouldn't go out of our way to punish/humiliate Rooney

Rusholme Ruffian

Welcome to your opinion, though I think you are undervaluing the power of motivation and its inevitable effect on a footballers general performance somewhat. Consider this, Rooney has won everything there is to win at United, broken countless records, scored countless goals, assists, free-kicks, grannies, Burger King the list goes on and on. Combine all that with the 300k he receives on a weekly basis, regardless of the standard of performance he produces, and it's not surprising how little motivation he currently has.
Well it's certainly not implausible - and in other situations with other players I could possibly see it. I do understand the effect that motivation can have, but it's more than that with Rooney - he's physically just not able to do it anymore...did you see him in Carrick's testimonial?

I would liken the situation to that of Schweinsteiger - he was the same age that Rooney is now when he came to United. Like Rooney at United he had won everything with Bayern and been his national team's most iconic player. When he came to United he said it was for a new challenge and a new experience, and god knows how we all wanted to believe that he still had his old Bayern form within him and that the motivation of new club/challenge/experience would be all that he needed to return to that form. Turned out that he didn't though.

And the thing is with Rooney, he's not even guaranteed a starting role at Everton - so if he struggled for motivation at United, with new managers to impress and the chance to become our highest scorer at stake, I'm not sure what extra motivation he'll find at Everton, possibly sometimes on the bench, scrapping around for a Europa League place.

I bear him no ill will at all, and Everton would be the ideal move for him for many reasons - I just don't see his performance level increasing particularly. Time will tell though.

K2K

I disagree on Bastian- I feel that Mourinho wanted to make a statement and it was a mistake - Bastian impressed when he eventually played and certainly looked a more useful player than Fellaini

the banishing to the reserves was excessive and creates a poor image of the club in it's treatment of players

if Rooney has no intention of leaving even if he knows he won't play unless we have a massive injury crisis I'd be very very surprised

he would be part of the first team squad but wouldn't get near the bench you'd expect.

as I said I think a compromise will be reached but I still wouldn't go out of our way to punish/humiliate Rooney
That is simply not true.

He looked generally unfit and never played any serious games after his little cameos.

We shouldnt punish him. But he shouldnt be starting games next season. With sporadic bench appearances against the weaker sides. He shouldnt be ahead of someone like Perreira

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement

Just wanted to point out that your first scenario is very unrealistic. A big club like ours is not going to loan out a club legend and it's record goal scorer like we misguidedly did with Nani. Too big profiles are involved for that to happen.

N2402

the way it's going with our lack of signings, we may need him atleast for the start of the season

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think Rooney will be (extra) motivated if he lines up for Everton or another team this season. But that motivation will have diminishing returns as it always does with anyone and he will quickly within 2-3 months regress back to his regular present-day performance, which right now is just mid to lower table level at best.

To the person who thinks motivation is the cause of Rooney's decline, that really doesn't seem likely. Since Ferguson retired, he has been coddled by Moyes and then LVG who desperately wanted him to raise his 'hero' status at the club even higher, going out of their way to facilitate him in the side despite performances.

He's been trying to 'come back' for 4 seasons now. I don't think there are many more motivational scenarios you can get than being told you're shit and you're finished by football enthusiasts worldwide. He just can't answer them. He's physically fcuked and once you get over what he's done to this side you support, you feel sorry for him because it must be horrible to be in his situation at 31 (an age that most top players are still delivering something).
Think of the man behind Wayne Rooney (expecting a witty one here) the character, the passion that drives or indeed drove him to the levels he once reached. If you are correct, and you may very well be, that Moyes and LVG both mollycoddled him, then I'd say he was severely mismanaged. You simply don't coddle a guy like Wayne Rooney, it's counterproductive and the effects will be detrimental.

You're shit and you're finished might have the desired effect, though. Problem is I haven't seen anything of the sort spouted in the media, quite the opposite in fact, so these journos need to speak up.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well it's certainly not implausible - and in other situations with other players I could possibly see it. I do understand the effect that motivation can have, but it's more than that with Rooney - he's physically just not able to do it anymore...did you see him in Carrick's testimonial?

I would liken the situation to that of Schweinsteiger - he was the same age that Rooney is now when he came to United. Like Rooney at United he had won everything with Bayern and been his national team's most iconic player. When he came to United he said it was for a new challenge and a new experience, and god knows how we all wanted to believe that he still had his old Bayern form within him and that the motivation of new club/challenge/experience would be all that he needed to return to that form. Turned out that he didn't though.

And the thing is with Rooney, he's not even guaranteed a starting role at Everton - so if he struggled for motivation at United, with new managers to impress and the chance to become our highest scorer at stake, I'm not sure what extra motivation he'll find at Everton, possibly sometimes on the bench, scrapping around for a Europa League place.

I bear him no ill will at all, and Everton would be the ideal move for him for many reasons - I just don't see his performance level increasing particularly. Time will tell though.

By no means is it a guarantee that he will find the motivation to be a success at Everton, none whatsoever. But if he sets himself attainable goals, remembers his passion and love for the game plus works his ass off (literally the fat fecker) there is every chance it will work out.

AndyJ1985

Once Chelsea buy Lukaku and Everton are swimming in money, that's when we'll see them move for Rooney.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
How does that help in any way?
both to show we're in desperate need of a (or two) striker(s) (after Zlatan left, that should be pretty obvious), and that Rooney can't even handle/make himself useful in pre-season friendlies.

Djemba-Djemba

both to show we're in desperate need of a (or two) striker(s) (after Zlatan left, that should be pretty obvious), and that Rooney can't even handle/make himself useful in pre-season friendlies.
Ah yeah I get you.

Would make it harder to sell Rooney though, the more he plays. Gives other clubs more chance to see the state he's in these days.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Ah yeah I get you.

Would make it harder to sell Rooney though, the more he plays. Gives other clubs more chance to see the state he's in these days.
It's Rooney who needs convincing, not so much the other clubs who are more interested on the publicity coup than the player.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Where would he even play for Everton? I don't think he's good enough for their first XI.

He'd need to drop down to a midtable side like West Brom in order to be good enough to start every match.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's nailed on that this move will reinvigorate Rooney , He will have a blinder of a season for Everton & surprise surprise , he will look one of the best midfielders in the prem.
Oh yeah. :lol:

Yeah, like that's going to make us look like a great team to come and play for. Would you want to work at a place where they treat legends of the game like that ? It doesn't bode well for mere mortals does it ?
Erm....Madrid - the club which ruthlessly removes its under performing legends. Virtually every player in the World wants to play for Madrid. And so it should be. If I were a player I'd consider it the pinnacle of my career to put in a few years in Madrid's first team, even though I know I will get boo'd no matter what I do on the pitch.
And didn't Bayern Munich get rid of Bastian S? Guardiola couldn't wait to offload him and when Bastian was on his way out, even said that Bastian has not been fit to play football, for a good few years.

In summary, if a player knows he will earn good money at the club and will more than likely win big trophies, that player will want to join that club, regardless of how it treats it's legends.

peridigm

Where would he even play for Everton? I don't think he's good enough for their first XI.

He'd need to drop down to a midtable side like West Brom in order to be good enough to start every match.
He's not. Caught a small bit on TS today. Said "he he may yet still go to Everton. He's the type of player that can play anywhere with his football brain." :houllier:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ah yeah I get you.

I still contend that playing him in that Carrick testimonial would've put a lot of clubs off of him.
Some fools believed that he still had something to offer. But after seeing him struggle against the likes of J.Carragher, even the fools wised up.
I actually don't believe that Everton will be buying Rooney anytime soon. They are not fools.

frank lee madeer..

Oh yeah. :lol:

Erm....Madrid - the club which ruthlessly removes its under performing legends. Virtually every player in the World wants to play for Madrid. And so it should be. If I were a player I'd consider it the pinnacle of my career to put in a few years in Madrid's first team, even though I know I will get boo'd no matter what I do on the pitch.
And didn't Bayern Munich get rid of Bastian S? Guardiola couldn't wait to offload him and when Bastian was on his way out, even said that Bastian has not been fit to play football, for a good few years.

In summary, if a player knows he will earn good money at the club and will more than likely win big trophies, that player will want to join that club, regardless of how it treats it's legends.
Which legends have Madrid ruthlessly shamed and culled recently then ? I take it you must be referring back to Jose's stint there & the Casillas treatment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.