Rugby 2017 Discussion

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, selecting players based on their colour, not their ability.
Someone on here with knowledge of the Boks program might chime in.
I've not been following them at all so it was news to me.
Maybe it's an excuse....

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe it's an excuse....
That's not really the case, I don't really see any player that has been left aside. The black players in the team are among the best in their positions and the white players don't really have a black player in super rugby that would be a better option. The real problem for South Africa is that France through the Top 14 is bleeding them dry, the Top 14 Boks could be better than the actual national team.

diarm

The real problem for South Africa is that France through the Top 14 is bleeding them dry, the Top 14 Boks could be better than the actual national team.
Not only Top 14 - if you added the English prem to the mix you could probably select 2 sides who would beat the current Boks. You'd probably make up a third team of South Africans like Strauss, Stander, Kockott and Nel who are representing other countries.

Politics and infighting have hurt SA rugby, but they've been decimated by simple economics as well.

JPRouve

Scout
Not only Top 14 - if you added the English prem to the mix you could probably select 2 sides who would beat the current Boks. You'd probably make up a third team of South Africans like Strauss, Stander, Kockott and Nel who are representing other countries.

Politics and infighting have hurt SA rugby, but they've been decimated by simple economics as well.
Exactly and you could also add all the really good prospect with junior contracts who are also better than some Super Rugby players, like Immelman. Last year I heard that some of the better paid south africans are at around 14k per year, that's a third of F. Steyn wage per month at Montpellier.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Interesting. And French national team rugby, it's said, has been harmed by imports playing in their club teams.

Can't blame the RSA players moving for the money though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Maybe it's an excuse....
it's easier to blame the quota system though.

But the simple answer is money. The South African domestic currency has depreciated heavily and South African clubs simply cant compete with European money.

South Africa can also select foreign based players, they usually choose not to.

Coetzee doesn't help either. Was useless at the Stormers too. But Heynecke Meyer before him was the most successful coach in recent SA domestic rugby history and he flopped too.

K2K

He's different though.

Even when playing in S.A., he was never selected that's why he quit.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

But the simple answer is money. The South African domestic currency has depreciated heavily and South African clubs simply cant compete with European money.

Coetzee doesn't help either. Was useless at the Stormers too. But Heynecke Meyer before him was the most successful coach in recent SA domestic rugby history and he flopped too.
Yeah, it's a mixture of all of the above, really. Sadly for us.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

I'm sure at some level that makes sense but on the face of it, it makes for a weaker Boks side.
In the meantime IRE can run up record scores against them, which is fine by me.

K2K

I'm sure at some level that makes sense but on the face of it, it makes for a weaker Boks side.
In the meantime IRE can run up record scores against them, which is fine by me.
Duane Vermaelen who is foreign based has just been called up.

There is some criteria for selecting foreign players, but it's least restrictive of the big 3 Southern hemisphere teams.

South Africa are just a bit crap too. Remember they lost to Japan very recently.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Well, i would have preferred South Africa or Ireland to host the 2023 World Cup. Ireland has never hosted it, South Africa last hosted a World Cup in 95 and France hosting one in 2007 is a little too recent for my liking to then host one 16 years later.

Rooney1987

Looking at the bidding and votes. Interesting Ireland votes came from England and not Wales or Scotland. France is way too soon. Would have been nice for Ireland to have it. A great Rugby nation who have never hosted this before. As Rugby wants to expand I think Ireland would have been better for that.

JPRouve

Scout
I have to agree with you guys, it's too soon and it's a waste of money. It should have gone to Ireland but I would have liked to see it organized in the US.

diarm

Ireland fans: what are the thoughts over there on Aki eligible to play for Ireland and Zebo not selected?
With Aki the feelings are much the same as they were with Stander, Strauss and Payne. Some don't care, some think because everyone is at it it's ok and some, including me personally, don't like it because it lessens the impact and meaning of international competition. At this stage we're pretty resigned to it though and what are you going to do - not support your country and get behind a guy who has worked hard to get where he is and is clearly committed to the shirt?

On Zebo, it was always going to happen. Joe has never really liked him and he's had to work much harder than other, more limited back 3 players to earn his opportunities in green. The second he said he was off, this was always going to happen. What annoys me is that Tadhg Bernie has announced he is returning to Ireland at the end off the season to join Munster. At a time when we are short in the second row and there's a young Irish lock tearing up trees for a good Scarlets side, why wasn't he included by the same logic that excluded Zebo?

Very pissed off with the World Cup news. I was disappointed when I thought we were losing out to the South Africans I was disappointed but could see theirs was a great bid and would be a great world cup. To see both of us lose out to a mega rich country which hosted a mere decade ago is very disheartening. People in rugby like to give football a hard time for being money driven and soulless but you'd never see this shit from Fifa. Even in their corruption they wouldn't give a World cup to the same country twice in 4 cycles.

K2K

Also reading that Ireland are saying they probably won't bid again. South Africa have lost 4 consecutive bids too so they probably have run their own race too.

Can't see any of the minor nations bidding, so it's probably going to be an England/Australia world thereafter

RORY65

Also reading that Ireland are saying they probably won't bid again. South Africa have lost 4 consecutive bids too so they probably have run their own race too.

Can't see any of the minor nations bidding, so it's probably going to be an England/Australia world thereafter
I could see Argentina or the USA or another emerging nation (I know Argentina have been a good side for a long time but it's an area of the world where the game could go grow). I read an article that made a good point that we're too big and too small at the same time. We're already good at rugby and it's a big sport in Ireland but the reality is it's too small a country to host a major tournament and guarantee huge revenues for World Rugby. I find the moaning about not getting the votes from Wales and Scotland a bit weird as well, as if we're annoyed it's not just an old boys club.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I could see Argentina or the USA or another emerging nation (I know Argentina have been a good side for a long time but it's an area of the world where the game could go grow). I read an article that made a good point that we're too big and too small at the same time. We're already good at rugby and it's a big sport in Ireland but the reality is it's too small a country to host a major tournament and guarantee huge revenues for World Rugby. I find the moaning about not getting the votes from Wales and Scotland a bit weird as well, as if we're annoyed it's not just an old boys club.
Yeah, just read the same article a few mins ago and agree somewhat.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1115/920299-2023/

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe you should try a Wales-Scotland-Ireland bid? It would be a shame if Ireland never host a world cup.

RORY65

Maybe you should try a Wales-Scotland-Ireland bid? It would be a shame if Ireland never host a world cup.
I'm not sure that's going to happen given that neither of them voted for us. Apparently the English and the Irish unions are much friendlier than Ireland are with Wales or Scotland, going back to when England came to play in Dublin in the Five Nations during the troubles while Wales and Scotland wouldn't and apparently the Irish and English players generally are much closer on Lions tours.

The reality is that the bid was a bit of a pipedream, there are a lot of better things that the costs of hosting a tournament could be spent on (although they won't be spent on those things) and was largely built on romance and the craic rather than the facilities, infrastructure or finances being up to the standards of the other bids.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Teams for England vs Australia: Head says England by 4, heart says Australia by 7.

England

15 Anthony Watson, 14 Jonny May, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Chris Robshaw, 5 Courtney Lawes, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Dylan Hartley (captain), 1 Mako Vunipola

Substitutes: 16 Jamie George, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Harry Williams, 19 Maro Itoje, 20 Sam Simmonds, 21 Danny Care, 22 Henry Slade, 23 Semesa Rokoduguni

Australia - Needless to say 24 will become 23. Blake Enever has replaced Adam Coleman who failed a fitness test on his injured thumb.

15 Kurtley Beale; 14 Marika Koroibete, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Reece Hodge; 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia; 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Ned Hanigan; 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rob Simmons; 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Scott Sio

Substitutes (one to be omitted, 16-24): 16 Stephen Moore, 17 Tom Robertson, 18 Allan Alaalatoa, 19 Matt Philip, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Lopeti Timani, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Karmichael Hunt, 24 Henry Speight

Last edited:

diarm

Ireland side to face Fiji:

1. J McGrath, 2. R Herring, 3. A Porter, 4. D Toner, 5. U Dillane, 6. R Ruddock (capt), 7. J Murphy, 8. J Conan.
9. K Marmion, 10. J Carberry, 11. D Kearney, 12. S McCloskey, 13. C Farrell, 14. D Sweetnam, 15. A Conway.

Replacements: 16. J Tracy 17. C Healy 18. T Furlong 19. K Treadwell 20. CJ Stander 21. L McGrath 22. I Keatley 23. R Henshaw

I'm excited to see how Porter, Dillane, Ruddock and Conan get on in the pack, plus McCloskey and Farrell in the middle as well. Delighted for Sweetnam but disappointed to see Dave Kearney in there. Surely that spot on the wing against Fiji could've been given to Adam Byrne or better still, Conway or Stockdale if he'd selected Tiernan O'Halloran as a fullback in the squad.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Surely that spot on the wing against Fiji could've been given to Adam Byrne or better still, Conway or Stockdale if he'd selected Tiernan O'Halloran as a fullback in the squad.
I think that Adam Byrne will be out of Schmidt's thinking until he improves significantly in the defensive phase. I agree with you that it would make more sense if Conway were to start on the wing with O'Halloran at FB, as opposed to Kearney playing on the wing.

beergod

Finally got round to watching Ireland SA... South Africa weren't up to much really, were they? Nothing happened for them at all. Must be a very disappointing performance for their fans.
I've watched them throughout the Rugby Championship and still can't decide if they actually have a gameplan, much less one that is decent. Their backs still play like it's the first time they've played together. That Ireland performance was worse than the 57-0 to the kiwis, because they were competitive for quite some time in that match while they were just awful against Ireland.

freeurmind

weak willed
Happy with the changes to the Bok squad for the France game though I'm not expecting a win.

freeurmind

weak willed
Race based selections?
Maybe it's an excuse....
Quotas are a bane and should be done away with. They don't produce the (so-called) desired effect. This issue is merely a distraction tactic and smokescreen for government. Government should be more concerned with providing decent basic services, combating corruption, stimulating job creation and reducing crime which are issues the black population really cares about not how many white or black players there are in the cricket, rugby or netball teams.

That being said, quotas have become a convenient excuse for this national side. Who are these super talented white players that the likes of Beast, Kolisi etc. are keeping out because I don't see them. The coach is a joke and needs to go. No proper game plan and waits too long to drop underperforming players all in the name of continuity.

freeurmind

weak willed
It's kind of a situation where any sort of improvement on last weekend would be welcomed I'd imagine. They were very disjointed.
Early on when SA had 4 v 1 in Ireland's 22 and De allende chose to kick instead of passing the ball for an easy try exemplifies this team under this coach.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Early on when SA had 4 v 1 in Ireland's 22 and De allende chose to kick instead of passing the ball for an easy try exemplifies this team under this coach.
Yup that was so bad. He also kicked it directly into the hands of the one Irish player in the backfield. I don't think it would have made a difference in the end, but that was a try thrown away.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I watched the world Cup qf match between New Zealand and Fiji. First of all it ended 4-2 for Fiji. Second half the stadium seemed empty and this was played in Wellington.

I thought Rugby was huge in NZ. What am I missing?

RORY65

I watched the world Cup qf match between New Zealand and Fiji. First of all it ended 4-2 for Fiji. Second half the stadium seemed empty and this was played in Wellington.

I thought Rugby was huge in NZ. What am I missing?
You were watching Rugby League which is very big in Australia and the North of England but not many other places. Rugby Union is the game that people in New Zealand are obsessed with and is also played competitively by more countries than Rugby League. They're two different sports.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Angus Garnder reportedly apologised to Sonny Bill Williams regarding last week's yellow card. I thought the ref was right to bin him and right to award a penalty try. Apparently not it seems.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
You were watching Rugby League which is very big in Australia and the North of England but not many other places. Rugby Union is the game that people in New Zealand are obsessed with and is also played competitively by more countries than Rugby League. They're two different sports.
I asked someone about that and they said union was played by posh twats and league was played by everyone else. What are their actual differences?

K2K

I asked someone about that and they said union was played by posh twats and league was played by everyone else. What are their actual differences?
You were lied to.

Union is by far the bigger of the two sports and is a fairly global game. League is much smaller although it has it fans. Don't really watch any league though.

Rugby union is the biggest sport in New Zealand and they are the Brazil of rugby union. They are annoyingly good at it too and probably are the best national team in any sport over the last 50 years.